• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl or Melee

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Link to original post: [drupal=1829]Brawl or Melee[/drupal]

I'm not really a good player of Smash in general, but I want to enter tournaments? I'm wondering what game I should stick to? Are there still frequent Melee tourneys? Are there way more Brawl tourneys? Are metas in 64/melee still having the capacity to evolve? Argh! I don't know what to do!

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
It'll depend largely on who you ask. I haven't heard of many Melee tourneys lately, but I haven't been looking...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sequel to "Pkay SSBB forever!"?

Eh but no seriously, play what you feel you enjoy most, there all great games, and even though Melee is probably my least favorite, I can still enjoy a game or a few of them. I just hope I don't suck too much...

Also inb4LOL+.

Play Barlw >.>

xTrav8

Smash Cadet
Brawl has more tournaments. Melee is still surviving. 64 has a large online community.

Play them all.

finalark

SNORLAX
Easy, play both for a while until you figure out which one you like the best. Then choose, but be warned that Brawl has a lot more Tourneys than Melee.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I enjoy melee more, though I can't find widespread tournaments or other good players quite easily as brawl. Melee tourneys seem to be more SoCal based and I can't travel far. Oh and it kinda cramps my hand using my keyboard in a controller fashion for 64 :3

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Some of the Brawl players also happen to be melee vets/players, AND considering you're in Cali, I know there is a good chance of Melee being around, so it can't hurt to ask.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
There's a good deal of Melee only/Melee on the side tournies in California.

Though the players there are extremely good.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
honestly play both of them figure out which game you enjoy more.. then go to that tournie
omg

Seiku?

On my Smashboards?

GTFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(I'mma get that Roy later.)

Edit: In light of the topic at hand...

There are plenty of Melee players even in SoCal. I'm sure if you posted there you could probably get some peeps to help you with transportation and stuff like that.

Smooth Criminal

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
There's a good deal of Melee only/Melee on the side tournies in California.

Though the players there are extremely good.
You're god **** right they are.

Do both, if you cant do both do melee, melee is either going to die or come back big. Either way it's a better game. =D

LLDL

Smash Hero
definetely do melee. Much more exciting scene. When you go to brawl tournaments, you kind of just sit there and feel no emotion until its your turn to play. With melee, you could still have a fun time and not have a single friendly. (Possibly)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Its the community of people there, and watching skilled players play. I'm never bored just watching matches.
This is exactly why people watch NorCal videos. To listen to HMW and Phil.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Or just come to MI, where we have the best both Brawl and Melee tourney's. =P

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm pretty sure Texas beats MI in tourney quality. ;)

D

Deleted member

Well if you enjoy one much more over the other go with that one, if you enjoy both somewhat equally, look into factors in your area such as distribution of players, tourny locations, etc.

The easiest thing is just to play both. Does it really matter if you don't choose just one?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Tourney quality? Probably. We don't host that many in-state tournaments anymore.

Player quality/depth? Not a chance.
Can't say I don't agree with that. :laugh:

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Yeah, I'll stick to melee for now. I got to do a triple nair to dair spike combo on a lvl 9 cf :D

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Melee takes way more practice to get to the required level of tech skill, and then you'll have to spend another age getting good enough at applying it properly.

Do what you want though, just depends on what you enjoy more.

Also...

Play Melee.

(Had to be done)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I don't think there is a limit to melee and it makes you think ALOT FASTER dude I just zip thought math without a any help and you start to think in frames when other people think in seocnd and your like WWHHHYYY AAARRREEEEEEE YOOUUUU SOOOOOO SLOOOOWW and when you play other games your like how come I didn't roll when I teched and it's BS and you playMORE MELEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! And guitar hero is kind of slow my brother plays on the hardest levels and he doesn't play it offen.

When you are good at melee it's like YYYYEAAHHH I CAN RIP A FREAKIN BEAR IN HALF DUE TO AMAZINGNEESS.

And scurbs will be like slow down and you will be like F*** you and wall tech into a warlock punch!!

plus only melee has pichu in it

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't think there is a limit to melee and it makes you think ALOT FASTER dude I just zip thought math without a any help and you start to think in frames when other people think in seocnd and your like WWHHHYYY AAARRREEEEEEE YOOUUUU SOOOOOO SLOOOOWW and when you play other games your like how come I didn't roll when I teched and it's BS and you playMORE MELEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! And guitar hero is kind of slow my brother plays on the hardest levels and he doesn't play it offen.

When you are good at melee it's like YYYYEAAHHH I CAN RIP A FREAKIN BEAR IN HALF DUE TO AMAZINGNEESS.

And scurbs will be like slow down and you will be like F*** you and wall tech into a warlock punch!!

plus only melee has pichu in it
Teran's quitting Melee now. ;)

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
@Insane: You need to calm down. .___.;;

I'd say..... Both, why not. Then everyone will be happy.

REL38

Smash Lord
Melee is so much more fun to play, but I don't stand a chance with it competitively. I can only L-cancel and only a little bit of wavedash. I figured I'd get better at Brawl instead. I'm much better at Brawl than Melee, but I still miss those L-cancels :( No point in training in Melee if the tourney scene stays stagnant for it.

It's really all just personal preference in the end.

Backward

Smash Cadet
Although I absolutely despise Brawl, I still think you should give both a try. I know a few people who started like that in the past year and ended up playing Melee exclusively because they preferred it over a period of experimentation. If you find having to practice Melee too difficult, I suppose you always have Brawl.

But in all honesty, play Melee. The scene is still healthy in many, many places.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Although I absolutely despise Brawl, I still think you should give both a try. I know a few people who started like that in the past year and ended up playing Melee exclusively because they preferred it over a period of experimentation. If you find having to practice Melee too difficult, I suppose you always have Brawl.

But in all honesty, play Melee. The scene is still healthy in many, many places.
Was it ever alive in the Province of Quebec? (Canada).
'Cause I've never been really informed with all this and I feel quite hopeless. All my friends have quit, I'm all alone.

I'd have to say Melee > Brawl.
But Brawl has more tourneys now (Not like I can even gain access to them. I'm a john, can't get out of the province... I always get lost when I do so.)

Backward

Smash Cadet
Was it ever alive in the Province of Quebec? (Canada).
'Cause I've never been really informed with all this and I feel quite hopeless. All my friends have quit, I'm all alone.

I'd have to say Melee > Brawl.
But Brawl has more tourneys now (Not like I can even gain access to them. I'm a john, can't get out of the province... I always get lost when I do so.)
Although I'm not at all familiar with the geography of Canada, I do know that Canada has some very prominent Melee players. I've never met Raynex, Kage, etc. before in person, but they are really really good.

Why don't you try contacting them?

Top Bottom