• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl, or Melee 2.0?

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
As some of you may know, the next Super Smash Brothers game was initially intended to be Melee, but with online capabilities. A Melee 2.0, so to speak. This game would have been made, had Sakurai not stepped in to take over, and made Brawl what it is: A game with new stages, new modes (stage builder), an in-depth 1-player mode...and a 35 character roster...with clones. And to top it all off, our favorite advanced techniques have been taken out.

Melee 2.0, on the other hand, would have had the same roster and same stages, but with online capabilities (and most likely rankings). All the gameplay mechanics would have been the same, and all the advanced techniques that we have grown dependent on would still exist.

My question to you is this: Would you rather have Brawl, or Melee 2.0?

I personally would rather have Melee 2.0. Just being able to go to a tourney, without all the hassle of "Friend Codes", and without even leaving my house, would have made it worth it. However, I am still happy with Brawl.

EDIT: So far, 7 votes for Melee 2.0.

NOTE: I must say, I am a little surprised. After seeing so many "Brawl will SUCK" threads, I thought the results would be much more balanced.

Gary

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, definitely. Most of the low tiers who I really liked are now actually playable, and the newcomers are awesome.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
You seemingly read at least part of Iwata asks. Iwata said he and Sakurai had almost the exact same ideas for online play, meaning there would probably almost no difference in it. Still Friend Codes, and with the way Nintendo tends to go, there might not have even been a With Anyone mode at all.

Brawl for sure.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Reference?
I'd rather have Brawl.
Why? Because I have no idea how this other game would turn out to be. Sakurai did a good job with Brawl, people would just fantasize about this "Melee 2.0" but again it would turn out to be over hyped and there would still be complaints.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
Brawl is Brawl and Melee is Melee.These are two different games that have different gameplay characteristic.Please don't make threads like this,there has been many, this game is NOT Melee okay, it's Brawl.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Brawl. I'm probably not going to do online play much, and I'm not a big fan of tournament. I even admit not knowing how to wavedash outside of Luigi. I just want a fun fighter with lots of my favorite video game characters and that's what I'm getting.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What???

Dont even talk of such things... if we got Melee 2.0 :urg:... we couldnt have gotten such amazing things as

- Teh Stage Builder!

- My music!!

- SSE

- Co-op events and adventure, among other things.

And We would not be able to play as (My personal favorites)

- Olimar (main, I always list him first :) )
-Lucario
-WW Link
-ROB!!
-Snake
-Wolf
-Wario-maaaaaan!!
- Dk with a model that actually looks like him!!
-Diddy
- Every other newcomer

Plus, we wouldnt have final smashes, or all the other incredible items. Final destination in Melee is not as fantastic as the brawl one.

How could anyone possibly prefer Melee 2.0? You'd lack all of the above!

Plus, Brawl is much more balanced it seems. Cant beat that.

Melee 2.0...pshh thank you Sakurai! For thinking of the fans!!

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
If anyone of us played Brawl, we'd go for Brawl.
Almost all of us havn't played the game and people are assuming Melee 2.0 would be better.
Brawl please.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
Sad thing is, they are one and the same.

To me, Brawl was a SSB game that had fan ideals in it. Sakurai didn't listen to the fans as much as we would have liked, so it IS Melee 2.0

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
as far as the roster goes, we pretty much got Melee 2.0, but all the other features make it Brawl.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
If Brawl's roster makes it Melee 2.0, then what was Melee - Smash64 1.5? Brawl has about twice as many characters with new movesets as Melee had.

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice
Definately Brawl.

But your post made me realize something.. If they couldn't get Sakurai, they planned on making Melee 2.0.. Same game, with online..

This is Sakurai's last smash game.. Does that mean SSB4 will just be Brawl with improved online? That would not make me happy. That would make me unhappy.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Brawl is Melee 2.0. The entire point of Brawl was online (apparently), and they jacked that up.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Lets see here...

Everything new I like about Brawl
Luigi's Mansion
DK Arcade stage
Mushroomy Kingdom
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Bridge of Eldin
WarioWare
Battleship Halberd
New Pork City
Distant Planet
Sky Pillar
Great Sea
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone
Ike
Diddy
Wario
Pit
Pokèmon Trainer
Lucas
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Olimar
Sonic the Hedgehog
Lucario
R.O.B.
Falco Luigified
Final Smashes
Assist Trophies
More music than perhaps any single game in history has ever had.
Taking snapshots anytime.
Gliding
Stage Creator
Subspace Emissary

New Challenge Modes Matches
Wiimote + Nunchuk control scheme
Fully customizable controls
Wifi

vs

The Alternative
Melee with Wifi

...this can't possibly be a serious question, right? Brawl, without so much as a second thought required.

Zevox

twdfx

Smash Cadet
This isn't the time to ask this question.

We have had many years of melee, and most of has have not yet played brawl for any real length of time.

In many months, maybe a few years, when we truly grasp all that brawl has to offer and really become comfortable with the gameplay, then you can fairly ask this question.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
You seemingly read at least part of Iwata asks. Iwata said he and Sakurai had almost the exact same ideas for everything
fixed to contain the whole story

seriously, iwata asks kind of read like socratic dialogue. except in the discussions socrates had, they would OCCASIONALLY disagree with each other, or at least there would be corrections. i don't think sakurai or iwata ever said a word either of them had any qualms over(if they did it was pretty rare); sakurai never once corrected any of iwata's statements for being half-right, etc. it sort of makes you wonder.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
As some of you may know, the next Super Smash Brothers game was initially intended to be Melee, but with online capabilities. A Melee 2.0, so to speak. This game would have been made, had Sakurai not stepped in to take over, and made Brawl what it is: A game with new stages, new modes (stage builder), an in-depth 1-player mode...and a 35 character roster...with clones.

Melee 2.0, on the other hand, would have had the same roster and same stages, but with online capabilities (and most likely rankings). All the gameplay mechanics would have been the same, and all the advanced techniques that we have grown dependent on would still exist.

My question to you is this: Would you rather have Brawl, or Melee 2.0?

I personally would rather have Melee 2.0. Just being able to go to a tourney, without all the hassle of "Friend Codes", and without even leaving my house, would have made it worth it. However, I am still happy with Brawl.
Let me tell you if it was Melee 2.0 then there would be 1 mo de, random play, no tourneys or rankings, we are gifted with having sakurai doing the game.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
fixed to contain the whole story

seriously, iwata asks kind of read like socratic dialogue. except in the discussions socrates had, they would OCCASIONALLY disagree with each other, or at least there would be corrections. i don't think sakurai or iwata ever said a word either of them had any qualms over(if they did it was pretty rare); sakurai never once corrected any of iwata's statements for being half-right, etc. it sort of makes you wonder.
Hows this:

Sakurai
Well, there were lots of things that didn’t make it into the document too. At any rate, in the report, I covered, for the most part, how to deal with the online aspect for Smash Bros. Brawl. For example, when battling through the internet, a player has the option to brawl With Friends or With Anyone. When playing With Friends, you can compose short messages, (See document) but when brawling with random players, however, names aren’t displayed and neither records nor brawling results are saved. (See document) This was very similar to what Nintendo was proposing for its Wi-Fi Connection (WFC), but at the time I finished the document in July of 2005, the WFC service didn’t exist.

Iwata
Not that we didn’t have it…we were actually in the middle of development. Naturally, we weren’t letting anyone else know what we were working on and I didn’t talk about any detailed features or concepts when I asked you to work on Smash Bros.

Sakurai
Yet, when we swapped the Smash Bros. Brawl document and the project plan for the Nintendo WFC and compared features, there was a great deal of correlation.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Sad thing is, they are one and the same.

To me, Brawl was a SSB game that had fan ideals in it. Sakurai didn't listen to the fans as much as we would have liked, so it IS Melee 2.0
how is it melee 2.0

the gameplay is diffrent, graphics are improved , more features like stage builder, online play, AT, FS, and alot of other things that set this game apart.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Nah, I can adapt without wavedashing. I think it detracted from the experience. As for the lack of L-Cancelling, I think the lage of aerials is now way less. Start adapting, or you could still play Melee. Ever after Brawl comes out, Melee will remain the gem that it is. I still play Smash 64 to this day!

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
also did they say they were going to add 5 characters if they made the melee 2.0

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Hows this:
a quote
my apologies for the following if i misinterpreted your post.

they aren't disagreeing. Sakurai describes a document/project proposal that he wrote in 2005 or so, then states that it was similar to an otherwise unrelated proposal nintendo was making at the time. adding onto their shared memory, Iwata tells more of the story, saying that it was at more than the proposal stage and was already in development, and that sakurai didn't know about it(back then; it's mutually understood between them that he knows what was going on now). sakurai then remarks(once again embellishing the memory, not contradicting iwata) that it's odd that the two proposals were so aligned in design philosophy. You'll notice in the next paragraph, iwata basically says "yeah lol, weird huh." they're just sharing a memory.

in other words, it's once again sakurai and iwata remarking on how much they agree with one another on everything. why don't they just fuse or something?

don't get me wrong i'm not hating on them or proposing some weird conspiracy theory, it's just kind of funny/odd.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
they aren't disagreeing. Sakurai describes a document/project proposal that he wrote in 2005 or so, then states that it was similar to an otherwise unrelated proposal nintendo was making at the time. adding onto their shared memory, Iwata tells more of the story, saying that it was at more than the proposal stage and was already in development, and that sakurai didn't know about it(back then; it's mutually understood between them that he knows what was going on now). sakurai then remarks(once again embellishing the memory, not contradicting iwata) that it's odd that the two proposals were so aligned in design philosophy. You'll notice in the next paragraph, iwata basically says "yeah lol, weird huh." they're just sharing a memory.

in other words, it's once again sakurai and iwata remarking on how much they agree with one another on everything. why don't they just fuse or something?
If they didn't agree on it why would they bring it up like that, they could have totally left out the Nintendo Wifi part and only discussed Brawl's online features.

The original point is online play would not be any better if the game was Melee 2.0 and not Brawl. It would still use friend codes, and based on Nintendo's wifi policy I doubt it would have the With Anyone mode.

S2

Smash Lord
A part of me wants Melee 2.0

But I wonder if we actually got that if we'd get board of Smash quicker?

That is, at this point, I've logged so many hours onto Melee that I simply want something new. Perhaps Brawl will make the game feel new again, even if I have to relearn how to play the game (I'll miss you advanced techs).

Lunaris

Smash Ace
If they didn't agree on it why would they bring it up like that,.
wait what?

weren't you trying to provide an example of them disagreeing, or did i misinterpret you? because i agree that they are agreeing. if we can believe what they say in iwata asks, i also agree that there's a good chance the online system would have been the same regardless of whether or not sakurai joined the project.

i wasn't really trying to make any points about the melee 2.0/brawl discussion in my posts, this is a tangential topic. it was a joke(rather an amusing observation) to begin with, although it was based on truth.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Melee 2.0 would have still had friends codes. Thats a Nintendo thing, not a Sakurai thing. In fact I'd bet Sakurai would have prefered to take it out if he could.

Melee is an awesome game, but it's also old. Giving it online would have only increased it's replayability by like a year, if that. I want a new game, I want the new changes. Sure I played Melee all through high school and some of middle school. But I don't want it again.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather have a new game than a refinement of an old game; WarCraft 3 is an entirely different game from WarCraft 2, which was entirely different from StarCraft. Even if WarCraft 3 was not as good in my opinion as Starcraft was, I'm still glad I got a new game to play rather than just a refinement of an old one as it gave me more to explore. The same principle holds true here.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Brawl. Melee gets boring after playing it a lot of times. Even if it had online, I'd probably grow tired of it pretty quickly.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Let's ask this question in the melee boards and compare the results.

Here: Mainly Brawl

There: Overwhelmingly Melee 2.0

Fact is, melee was as near perfect a game as you can get, and Brawl removes so much from the gameplay..... *Sigh* I'll continue to play melee competitively. Maybe I'll be competitive in brawl as well, but probably I'll just play it casually and have my fun with it.

Definitely Brawl. Melee gets boring after playing it a lot of times. Even if it had online, I'd probably grow tired of it pretty quickly.
That's because you don't go to tournaments. In fact, you probably don't even play with advanced techniques.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
New characters, new stages, new game modes, uncountable extras and mildly subpar online play

OR

Mildly subpar online play

Jeez, that's a toughie.

Top Bottom