• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

brawl online nightly

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I would use the tornado more often if I knew how to control it. Most of the time I either overshoot or undershoot it, maybe twice did I land a successful one. I'll work on that a bit more, definitely not like Luigi's tornado.

Castle Siege I can sort of understand, since there's no stage hazards (excluding the statues, but they're not exactly hazards). Halberd is a strange case, though. I assume they never had a case like we did where it screwed us both over.

I also find it amusing that my worst character is the best one in the game. I've never been 3-stocked on anyone else in these things, not even with Jigglypuff.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, miya is relentless, lol. MK is one of those characters that rewards offensive playstyle. Snake too. Both characters have ridiculous options when compared to everyone else, save ice climbers. But all the top tiers are in their own right there b/c of the fact that their offensive lineup isn't as costly to throw around as say, Ike. I mean one whoops f-smash w/ike and it's a stock damn near.

When I suggested your MK should be unstoppable I was referring to the fact that you're good w/Sheik b/c their offensive speed is on par. MK's offensive strength is obv still > sheik's but if you can control sheik so well, then you can totally control MK just as well.

I would suggest "starting over" so to speak. Start by using MK w/o smash keys. This dumbs him down to a level but will also allow you to gain perfect knowledge of his timing. Then add smash keys. This will increase the options that you'll already have mastered (shuttle loop, nado, recovery, etc. ... the basics.)

Few other tips: nado acts a liiitle bit like luigi's cyclone, but appropriately, luigi is super floaty so his goes way higher for about half the button taps. MK gets 3 good inputs, maybe 4. If you notice though, on solid ground it's more like a hop. boing boing boing and each hop is when your DI is most influential. If you stall b/f initiating it (like walking off a ledge) you really can't hope to get the lift you need to clear the edge to get back on stage, and since he's "helpless" when it's complete you can't always grab the ledge (he was to wait a split second or so after the nado ends and then he can ledge grab). So basically I'd say go into training mode and just play around with nado until you get the feel for it. If you spam the b-button it won't be nearly as controllable. If you notice a good offensive strategy is to start your nado way out of range and then come in. Timed right you can have 3 or 4 (based on those hops) times that you can hit your opponent, so that's 3 to 4 instances your opponent has to either just stand there, or get nailed on 4 (then they shield blah blah you get the idea).

That's all just horizontal too. Adding in that he does have vertical lift and fall you basically have 360 degrees of freedom to attack and on 4 separate input points, I mean seriously you can just hunt and peck your opponent with nado until they're at KO percent, it's that silly.

MK is also interesting b/c basically all his b-moves are good recovery moves. drill rush is good for getting straight to the ledge, but a good ledge gamer can nerf MK out of drill rush, so it's not always best. I like to use it when my opponent is out of range b/c it closes the gap quicker than nado, and SL requires spacing to be just right or it's a waste of a move, whereas drill rush can be aimed well.

As for shuttle loop itself, it's an excellent spacing tool as well as an offensive choice, but be sure to control mk the second you hit up-b or else he'll be wide open. You can cancel his landing and go into a short hop, d-smash, or even another SL.

I noticed you didn't employ b-air, u-tilt... etc. Though there are standard times that these moves work, w/MK it's basically open season. No other character can swing, what, 18 times before landing, I mean wtf hahaha

sorry if this is too long but I just really enjoy your enthusiasm and your personal style and I think your MK could really be tournament worthy.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
It's all good. I'm not the TL;DR kind of guy. I have considered tournaments, but I know I wouldn't stand a chance against people like M2K and the like, although it would be really fun to see how I fare against others in that environment.

I'll start working more on his recovery options tonight. That seemed to be a main problem with the predictability and embarrassing SDs (like forgetting Melee Pokemon Stadium has a pillar on the bottom...).

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I'll be on tonight. 1:05 in the morning is pushing it a little bit for me, haha.

I'm also starting to work on Pit and Donkey Kong more, so expect them to show up a bit, too.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Hmm...I think I'm gonna come here often to find some new players. (Been at the Arena and AiB recently.)

Pit main here! :3

(Maybe I might find some better people here too, so... :I) Coincidentally, I pretty much only ever play at night, because my family hogs the TV all day. ;-;

(Not able to brawl now. Will be here later, though)

xHermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
EcksDee
I can't guarantee I'll be on every night due to school (night class blows) and work and stuff like that but I'll be on as much as I can be. FC is under my name. I can play pretty late sometimes so there may be times where I'm on from 12AM-5AM Eastern. Also my Wii has a disk drive issue so sometimes it freezes. I hope this doesn't stop anyone from wanting to play with me. :wario:

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Got both of your numbers down. Pretty convenient that there's a Pit main now that I started using Pit more, lol.

Also XHermit, you're the only person I've ever seen in any forum I've been on that lives in the same city as me.

xHermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
EcksDee
Got both of your numbers down. Pretty convenient that there's a Pit main now that I started using Pit more, lol.

Also XHermit, you're the only person I've ever seen in any forum I've been on that lives in the same city as me.
Wow lol. That's crazy. You're the third person I've seen from Lakeland. I found a post in the tourney section about Lakeland brawlers but there were only two other dudes in on it.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
My house is in no condition to have visitors come over, so it really wouldn't be too good of an idea. However, since we are close, that itself should fix some lag, although I don't know much about how that works.

Also, out of curiosity, what's my lag color (IE: Green/Yellow/Red)? Can't find that on my own person for some odd reason. I'm not sure if the lag is universal or just on one side, since mine is usually fine.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Okay, now I think I realize why it's like that. It's the distance of you and the other person that causes the color. Makes more sense than not showing your own ping color. The basic things you learn after so long...

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
It says so in the instruction booklet you can check it out if you want.

BTW I'm available to brawl if anyone is interested

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I'll be on in a minute, I lost the instruction book a LOOONG time ago.

Would have been on when you posted, but some quick important thing came up.

Something I'll be doing now is liking a post so you get the alert that I'll be there when you're looking for a match.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
I found mine inside the car under the seat lying next to some spilled liquids :ohwell:

GGS Oxide.

The end was the cherry on top - I couldn't stop laughing XD

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
GGs FireL and Jesus. You've REALLY improved last time we fought, Fire. I don't know why, but I love using Ness's d-tilt. Still need a little work on Pit, and I've improved on MKs tornado.

^ Lol yeah, one thing I love to do is go crazy with Sheik's chain. Nobody expects it, and it's just fun to watch her/him/it/Poison spaz out.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Haven't played in a while (online) and I gotta get used to the lag again
Oh and dead batteries ... Good games!

And yeah... im on at random times without warning, usually at night on the odd day...

Yeah... maybe today...

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
GGs Fire. I got thrashed throughout most of those. The bright side is I found out Lucas has some equivalent of Ganons super jump with his fireball. I knew it could send you across half the screen with absorb (which I completely forgot to use...), but not that.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Give me a minute. Still have to put mine in, says awaiting registration.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
GGs Ornge. Really close matches, but I got destroyed. Sorry about the Smash Ball incident, forgot to switch that off from BB.

Edit: Something important came up, I'll say when I'm on later if you're on then, Retro.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I'll be back on in a few minutes, if anyone is up for some matches.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
GGs Retro. You can thank Sucumbio for giving me the Marth matchup experience.

Major respect man. Don't really want to go into detail as to what happened, but you stuck through it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
new zealand tho? heh... I think we all use NTSC but I'll add u anyway

added everyone else that's new, 5 of you total... hope to be on tonight!

Top Bottom