• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Gets an Optimized Netplay Codeset

JFKennyD

Smash Rookie
Interesting, I was always... Conflicted about Brawl but I might do this for playing with some of my friends who can't (won't) play Pm. Thank you.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Nice! One of these days I'll try using Netplay.
I need to backup my games first...

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I don't play Brawl anymore, but I'm glad that Brawl players are getting more tools to connect with other players.
Some people in this community really do some awesome stuff for one another.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
hate to be 'that guy' but what are the implications for P:M's wifi? could this netplay coding be edited by someone to fit P:M?
I would sincerely cry if so. I've been holding P:M wifi tournaments the last 3 weeks and the lag is really unfavorable, last nights grand finals got skipped because their connection was so unplayable :(
Hope so.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
YESZ!

I'm really happy with this.
edit: wait, my PC can't run Dolphin to save its life, i'm rekt

Last edited:

dididan2000

Smash Rookie
Oh by the way, I begged for Brawl on Anther's. He confirmed it to me and friendlies are up today if you guys did not know. Even though it is only friendlies and not 100% complete for ladders, it is still awesome. Anther is awesome and is a wonderful person. Brawl HYPE!

Last edited:

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Smashbro tripping is not a big deal. brawl players don't care if it's on or off. I have done tourney matches with tripping off before. if you can turn it off like in the case of netplay, then you might as well.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Doesn't this change the game? Don't Brawl players just play Brawl as is?
Not really, actually. If players acted and made strategies based on the possibility of random tripping, then it would be different, but that isn't really the case. It's like items, it's just a thing on the side rather than something that has major effect on the meta. (Also they're both unpredictable and stupid and unfair and nobody in competitive likes them.)

Input lag is a little different, since it's a constant thing that DOES affect the game a bit more, but since it still influences a player's choices even less overall it falls into the same boat.

Last edited:

BuTTNutz

Smash Apprentice
Even though I like Smash 4 and Melee more than Brawl, Im glad its still getting attention. no smash game deserves to be forgotten.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Not really, actually. If players acted and made strategies based on the possibility of random tripping, then it would be different, but that isn't really the case. It's like items, it's just a thing on the side rather than something that has major effect on the meta. (Also they're both unpredictable and stupid and unfair and nobody in competitive likes them.)

Input lag is a little different, since it's a constant thing that DOES affect the game a bit more, but since it still influences a player's choices even less overall it falls into the same boat.
But playing a version where it doesn't happen is bad practice for a version where it does.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
But playing a version where it doesn't happen is bad practice for a version where it does.
As I said, it's rarely a factor in the decision-making process. As far as most players play, it already doesn't exist.

In any case, I predict most players moving to dolphin exclusively...partially because of the convenience, but mostly because tripping and input lag were removed in the first place.

CeLL

Smash Lord
As I said, it's rarely a factor in the decision-making process. As far as most players play, it already doesn't exist.

In any case, I predict most players moving to dolphin exclusively...partially because of the convenience, but mostly because tripping and input lag were removed in the first place.
As Falco, the only characters with a trip chance during the chaingrab (iirc) are Marth and ZSS. But without tripping you might get in the habit of doing all dashing chaingrabs instead of walking like you're supposed to. Just putting out an example of tripping affecting your decisions.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
As Falco, the only characters with a trip chance during the chaingrab (iirc) are Marth and ZSS. But without tripping you might get in the habit of doing all dashing chaingrabs instead of walking like you're supposed to. Just putting out an example of tripping affecting your decisions.
There ARE some decisions that will change, of course. For example, ice climbers also have their info infamous chaingrabs. There are two varieties: one is relatively easy to do, but there's a chance of tripping. The other is triples, but extremely hard to do.

However, a lot of ice climbers players normally use the tripable chains anyway (9b drops a few because of it in this video..http://youtu.be/wXbSiRlH3oM Keep in mind that these are both top level players, and 9b still uses the tripable chains). As for Falco....honestly, it's generally better to walk than to dash if both options are present, because walking leaves you with all of your options open. Plus, old habits die hard (we see that every time a player tries to edgehog in sm4ash tourneys), and since there's no real downside to walking as opposed to dashing I don't think many Falco mains will drop the habit.

Last edited:

Stephen Cirabisi

Smash Rookie
The only issue I find is that I desync when creating a name because I play with specific GameCube controller setting such as tap jump. Is there a way around this desync?

JacTotum

Smash Rookie
The only issue I find is that I desync when creating a name because I play with specific GameCube controller setting such as tap jump. Is there a way around this desync?
Yeah i've been having a similar problem whenever my partner and I add names, it desyncs for some reason. He's a very picky m8 and doesn't like to play with tap jump

Stephen Cirabisi

Smash Rookie
If you are using the recent dev builds, they desync with Wii games. Use 4.0-652.
I am using 652, but it doesn't even allow me to save on startup of brawl and then when I make a name afterward it would desync mid-game. Without making a name it never desyncs but I would rather use custom controls and im assuming there is a way around this. I feel like the fact that I cannot create a save and it freezes while trying is an issue. This only occurs with 652 though as every other dolphin version I have allows me to save.

Top Bottom