• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Gets an Optimized Netplay Codeset

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Brawl netplay just got easier with an improved codeset for use with Dolphin. This codeset applies character unlocks and default tournament settings, and eliminates the need for the use of save files.

The codeset in its current form is accessible as a RSBE01.ini template (mirror).

Netplay for Melee, Project M, and Smash 64 has continued to thrive with growing communities finding homes on sites like Anther's Ladder and Advanced Brackets, as well as Kaillera server lobbies. Netplay is especially important to those who have no means of attending tournaments, providing them a way to find human opponents without having to leave their front door.

Netplay is an especially big deal for smaller communities, like Smash 64, where its player base has always been spread out around the world with a dearth of console tournaments. Netplay played no small part in building the foundation of the still-growing Smash 64 community.

Brawl, a game that held the console spotlight for many years, has now fallen out of public favour, with many of its former players moving on to Smash 4. Still, there are quite a few players who much prefer Brawl's gameplay to any other installment in the series, but are struggling to find each other and keep playing. The game saw 176 entrants at Apex, showing that fans are still interested in playing when the opportunity presents itself. Brawl players interested in continuing to play their game would do well to create that opportunity by following the 64 community's lead, to build a network of players online now that console tournaments are no longer popular.

Netplay is not without its issues: gameplay desyncs can be very frequent due to the difficulties of save file and cheat code synchronization (so much that at the Smash 64 section of Apex 2015 you could frequently overhear jokes from players accusing one another of "fake desyncing" on console). This is frustrating, as each desync requires you to quit the emulator and start all over again. When you cut save files out of the equation and stick to unlocking characters with cheat codes, you have to deal with synchronizing multiple codes between players, another source of frequent desyncs -- not to mention a source of annoyance in Brawl's case, having to scroll through umpteen unlock notifications every time you boot up Dolphin. Melee netplay tackled this by incorporating a "Global Netplay" code: no save file needed, both players check off one checkbox, and they have all of their unlockables plus default settings to boot. Less setup time, more play time.

No such code existed for Brawl, making netplay a very tiresome process that was often not worth the effort. An alternative exists in the Brawl Wifi replacement servers (Wiimmfi), but Brawl's netcode has always been laggy and troublesome. This past Friday, SOJ of the Project M Dev Team took some time out of his busy schedule to sit down with myself for a few hours to hammer out a global netplay code for Brawl, with the goal of providing the same ease of setup as Melee's code. This codeset applies 3 stock/8 minute settings, random stage set to FD/BF/SV/Lylat/Yoshi's, unlocks all characters and stages without having to scroll through notifications, has a full character select screen with ZSS and Sheik, disables tripping and controller input lag, among other fixes.

There are a few ways this could go: this code set may be released as a patch application, or it may be incorporated into a future release of Dolphin. Both of those options are possibilities and not confirmed, but for now, manually adding this code to Dolphin has so far been an improvement over what Brawl players had to work with before.

So, now it's all up to Brawl players, whom have two fairly reliable options for playing online in netplay and Wiimmfi. Players should join the SSB Brawl Netplay facebook group, #dolphin-ssbb on Rizon, and the Brawl Wiimmfi facebook group to find opponents, and would also do well to keep their eye on Anther's Ladder, which, while not featuring Brawl netplay at the moment, has just added a Brawl chat room to its lobby.

Time to scrape off that rust, Brawl players!

pidgezero_one is a Smash 64 enthusiast who is trying not to forget her roots in the Brawl community. You can follow her on Twitter at @pidgezero_one.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Yes! We're not done yet!

I'm happy to see the Brawl community still march on, even after all the stuff we've been through recently.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Online Brawl on the wii was like a slideshow to me. Glad that this is made.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Mirror link for the code added.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Huh....wasn't aware that Brawl still had a following. That being said, Smash 64 does, so why not?

Nice that they managed to remove tripping as well. Good luck, Brawl veterans!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thank you for supporting Brawl and the people who still want to play it!

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Unless you can think of a reeeeeally good justification for it, I'd think the question is.... why wouldn't they?
Yeah it did seem like a dumb question to me. But if it's am mechanic the original game, why would you take away? Once again, it's kind of a dumb question, and I'm fine with taking away tripping.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Yeah it did seem like a dumb question to me. But if it's am mechanic the original game, why would you take away? Once again, it's kind of a dumb question, and I'm fine with taking away tripping.
Well for one it was probably the most stupid mechanic you could add to a fighting game to begin with.

waygu

Smash Lord
hate to be 'that guy' but what are the implications for P:M's wifi? could this netplay coding be edited by someone to fit P:M?
I would sincerely cry if so. I've been holding P:M wifi tournaments the last 3 weeks and the lag is really unfavorable, last nights grand finals got skipped because their connection was so unplayable :(

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Tripping was and is a mechanic that I think even nintendo agrees was dumb at this point. It wouldn't be so bad in casual play, but in a tournament setting its removal is a must.

Last edited:

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
176? Lol 64 is about to overtake brawl, followed by super smash flash.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
As I expected, good people know when they see a great game like Brawl. Sad people were lazy to download Wiimfi, but this will no doubt disable Brawl from the Life support machines, Brawl doesn't need them anymore. So can someone do something about Basic Brawl and spectator mode now? I don't care if people don't play those modes, fix Brawl until it reaches its full stamina. Well, the Golden era between which game is better Melee or Brawl is finished. Now it's the new era of which game is better Smash-4 or Brawl the obvious answer is right there.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
why did they take away tripping?
Unless you can think of a reeeeeally good justification for it, I'd think the question is.... why wouldn't they?
Well for one it was probably the most stupid mechanic you could add to a fighting game to begin with.
Tripping was and is a mechanic that I think even nintendo agrees was dumb at this point. It wouldn't be so bad in casual play, but in a tournament setting its removal is a must.
This is a perfectly valid question IMO, so I'll address it. Last year, the idea of enforcing tripless brawl as standard at tournaments was brought up, and I was one of the only people who was against it. Nobody really likes tripping, but I saw enforcing SD card use, in a time where 2GB SD cards are no longer sold at most stores, was just an extra unattractive barrier to newcomers who, rightly, would see expect a smash tournament to be playable and practice-able right off the shelf. I believe this even more strongly after complaints from people who think wiimmfi is "too complicated" to use, despite existing as a stage builder launcher. Brawl's declining attendance put the game in a position where it couldn't afford adding barriers.

This same perceived barrier does not exist in netplay, where we're already using codes to make it streamlined to begin with, and adding a no-tripping code is borderline unnoticeable.

The way I see it, if setup and logistics is not an issue, tripless absolutely should be used where possible. It is a random, rare annoyance, but still an annoyance. From what I understand, if a brawl player mid-game decides that a dash input is objectively their best option, they do not reconsider that option just because of the possibility of tripping. IMO it does not factor into gameplay decisions, unlike other random things like Peach's bombs or Dedede's gordos where players actively fish for them. Removing it will hardly be noticeable, since it's something people only really remember exists when it happens, and its removal does not benefit any characters over other characters or change the meta significantly. That's why I was in favour of removing tripping.‎

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Can you play basic brawl with this and is it active in Basic Brawl?
Dolphin emu can already connect to wiimmfi servers, in fact there is a video in my wiimmfi guide explaining how to do it.
hate to be 'that guy' but what are the implications for P:M's wifi? could this netplay coding be edited by someone to fit P:M?
I would sincerely cry if so. I've been holding P:M wifi tournaments the last 3 weeks and the lag is really unfavorable, last nights grand finals got skipped because their connection was so unplayable :(
This does not affect PM one way or the other, PM already has a netplay ISO builder in /r/ssbpm. These codes affect setup but not connection speed or lag spikes, in fact some of these codes exist in the PM ISO builder.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Tripping isn't really something you will mess you up by being off. Unless you practice watching every dash and turnaround for that 1/100 chance of a free punish, you wont be hurt by a tripless setup.

You cant john and say "I would have won if he has tripped a few times".

CeLL

Smash Lord
It's called Global Melee Netplay Settings because it was made by the netplay group Global Melee. Is there actually a Global Brawl or did you just not know the origin of the name?

Last edited:

dididan2000

Smash Rookie
How do you set this up exactly? Can someone give me step by step instructions please? Thanks

CeLL

Smash Lord
How do you set this up exactly? Can someone give me step by step instructions please? Thanks
For manual setup, right click your Brawl iso in Dolphin, click properties. Click edit config in the bottom left corner, paste the entire content of the pastebin in the ini that opens in notepad, and save it.

dididan2000

Smash Rookie
For manual setup, right click your Brawl iso in Dolphin, click properties. Click edit config in the bottom left corner, paste the entire content of the pastebin in the ini that opens in notepad, and save it.
When I save it the last stuff that was in just overrides it again like I never pasted it in

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
It's awesome that Brawl still gets some love despite the community's viewpoint on it.

This is great for those that still play the game.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
For Mac users, here is what the dolphin irc channel says: [20:57:53] <+pauldachz> pidgezero: Dolphin has to be closed while you're editing the file. It's an annoying issue.

Top Bottom