• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

Swordplay

Smash Lord
i've got a (stupid) question:

why do people say that projectiles cant be changed, all the while several changes have been made to projectiles such as samus' missiles?
Certian projectiles withought item properties like samus missles can be changed.

However there are plenty of projectiles WITH item poperties we can't do anything about because there is no code?

I believe Peaches *pimpin* projectile, Nades, and TL/Link bombs would be prime examples of this.

Laijin

Smash Hero
wait.
what?

You guys are able to change in game values via codes during run time to change moves in the game.
But you can't change items...
This does not sound correct to me.
If your able to change values during run time, you should easily be able to change the values for each item as well during run time. I don't see a difference in this.
One of you programmers please explain in detail why this does not work(I'm curious for knowledge!). I have a basic understanding of how you guys change values already.
You just load in codes via Geko OS which has a viewer which converts what is being played on the game into ASM, which makes it more readable than binary. Then you take that and your able to make codes to change those values and the end result is what we have now.
Am I correct?
With that, I figure you should be able to easily change in game items as well. So whats the problem guys?

Revven

FrankerZ
Then how do items work in this game? Each item has to have their own hitboxes and each hitbox has to be active when thrown. Otherwise I really don't see how else items would work.
The hitbox data gather code just wasn't currently made to work with item hitboxes like Link's bombs. It's nothing inherently wrong with the game, it's just the current code needs to be updated to gather item hitbox data.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Oh. Then what the heck.
So when someone said that its impossible to change items they were BSing everyone. lol.
If all you guys need is to update the stuff then thats cool. With the progress you guys have made already, I doubt it would be too difficult to modify the code to obtain item hitboxes too.

CPU01

Smash Rookie
i have tried to install but when I get up to the twighlight hack it gets stuck.

trin

Smash Rookie
i haven't tried Brawl+ yet, but im afraid after playing + i wont be able to go back to vBrawl ( i used a new term ^^) and not only that but is the change dramatic? will i really suck when first playing +?

Revven

FrankerZ
i haven't tried Brawl+ yet, but im afraid after playing + i wont be able to go back to vBrawl ( i used a new term ^^) and not only that but is the change dramatic? will i really suck when first playing +?
It takes some getting used to. There are some major differences but, in reality, you can play both if you separate the times you play them pretty well. Actually, for myself, I played Brawl+ before a tourney like, before Singles for HOURS and entered the Singles Brawl tourney and got 4th.

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way of playing it through the usb loader? since it uses ocarina, which can only use 256 lines

Kantaro

Smash Rookie
While we're on the subject I suppose I'll need a bit of a tutorial as well. I found a few good snapshot threads but they'd devolved into more tech talk than I could decipher. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

InvisibleMuffin

Smash Cadet
PAL Brawl+ Not loading codes

Ok, this is a rather odd problem that I cannot find anywhere, and is bleeding my patience away.

Homebrew installed
Gecko 1.9 installed

gameconfig.txt in root of SD card

PAL codeset of brawl+ in /codes/ folder

Codes downloaded from the link in the second post of the Brawlplusery thread (the PAL codes)
the .gct file is taken from the "in /codes" folder which is in the "4.1 Official Codeset" folder

I load up gecko OS and press 'launch game'

It says
GAME ID: RSBP01
SD codes found. Applying

It loads SSBB.

And no codes are active.

Noone I've talked to has any ideas, so I take this over to the public, preferably those of you with PAL versions of the game.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
There won't be a tier list for a long time.

You have to wait until Brawl+ goes Gold at least (meaning it's not really being worked on at all), and the metagame develops. About a year after that, you might see the first tier list.

There is a generally agreed upon Top 5 in the current Brawl+ set (Meta Knight, Marth, Kirby, Squirtle, and Fox), but that's definitely not fact and not everyone shares the same opinion. Ivysaur, in MY opinion, is probably a little towards the bottom half. He's still good, just not as good as some other people.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
There won't be a tier list for a long time.

You have to wait until Brawl+ goes Gold at least (meaning it's not really being worked on at all), and the metagame develops. About a year after that, you might see the first tier list.

There is a generally agreed upon Top 5 in the current Brawl+ set (Meta Knight, Marth, Kirby, Squirtle, and Fox), but that's definitely not fact and not everyone shares the same opinion. Ivysaur, in MY opinion, is probably a little towards the bottom half. He's still good, just not as good as some other people.
Ivysaur is an all-around good character. They are still doing extensive work on her to bring her up to low-high, mid-high "tier" level.

However, I would strongly advise you to not worry about said "tiers" and just play the characters you enjoy. The metagame will always be changing, even after the first "gold" release, as long as the game is being balanced and patched.

For all we know, Ivysaur could become the best character in the game...so don't worry about things like that.

Wing

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Ivy "was" really good. With the nerfs to her leaves she dropped a little.At ist glance ivy lookes beast but once u learn that u can di her dthrow and use any attack to break her leaves it becomes easy to get around her and ****.

Still i think ivy is a all around good char. Def not top 10 though. But i know they are still doing work to her so who knows how she will end up.

As far as a tier list goes don't worry about it. Like people said before we will have no idea until brawl+ reaches a gold release and they stop working on it. And then you have to wait til the metagame for the char develops. As of now though i think everyone agrees top 3 are marth/fox/squirtle with mk/shiek/and kirby rounding out top 5 depending on who u ask.

bibleonian

Smash Apprentice
I never really got into competitive smash until a little before brawl came out. This kind of opens the door for me too see what it was like then. I'm eager to see how pit, yoshi, and marth will do :). I can tell Captain falcon will be crawling his way back up to top tier.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Just something I noticed...While playing around in training mode with Fox, I noticed that once the opponent (Falcon) hit around 110%, he started going into this alternate form of hitstun where he sort of fell on his hands and knees after a dair hit. This allowed me to chain dair --> dair, and the training mode counter said i had a 30-hit combo at one point

Also, for the snapshot hack, look at this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226649
It says it at the bottom of the OP there, but just in case, you can find the latest NTSC-U snapshot codes here: http://www.mediafire.com/?kzdddnjxiyc

EDIT: also, nana cant dashdance, but you can never desynch from a dashdance because every time popo changes direction, nana does as well, so nana starts doing these moonwalks and stuff while popo is dd'ing

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Just something I noticed...While playing around in training mode with Fox, I noticed that once the opponent (Falcon) hit around 110%, he started going into this alternate form of hitstun where he sort of fell on his hands and knees after a dair hit. This allowed me to chain dair --> dair, and the training mode counter said i had a 30-hit combo at one point

Also, for the snapshot hack, look at this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226649
It says it at the bottom of the OP there, but just in case, you can find the latest NTSC-U snapshot codes here: http://www.mediafire.com/?kzdddnjxiyc

EDIT: also, nana cant dashdance, but you can never desynch from a dashdance because every time popo changes direction, nana does as well, so nana starts doing these moonwalks and stuff while popo is dd'ing

So this is why? Lol i was trying to figure out for the longest why i couldn't desync.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
Well as a close friend once humorously said to me, "Competitive Brawl is an oxymoron."

Brawl+ takes something dull, relatively slow, and boring and turns it into Fun Speed Activate!

Hell, my friends and I used to be able to barely stomach a few 5 stock matches before we got bored and did something else in vBrawl.

Today we played two 2 hour 99 stock battles all the way through.

If that's not a sign of improvement then what is?

I'm sure Ivy and the other characters will get buffed eventually (if they need it). So far I think every character is really good.

Wing

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Well as a close friend once humorously said to me, "Competitive Brawl is an oxymoron."

Brawl+ takes something dull, relatively slow, and boring and turns it into Fun Speed Activate!

Hell, my friends and I used to be able to barely stomach a few 5 stock matches before we got bored and did something else in vBrawl.

Today we played two 2 hour 99 stock battles all the way through.

If that's not a sign of improvement then what is?

I'm sure Ivy and the other characters will get buffed eventually (if they need it). So far I think every character is really good.

Wing
sonic is bunz!

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
You guys mentioning the general consensus for top 5 forgot Luigi, that guy is a beast. He is also 5th most voted for in that thread a made. Although I'm not saying that means he IS 5th best, I'm just saying that you guys shouldn't underestimate him.

Karl

Smash Rookie
Okay, so, I'm a nub when it comes to hacking my Wii. So when I saw I could get Brawl+ on my SD card, I freaked out. On the main page, I downloaded the complete file, and have tried to run it on the Wii using things like Bannerbomb and whatnot to no avail. There was nothing else on my SD card when I saved Brawl+, and since nobody has been going into the IRC chat lately, I figured this was the place to go.
._.

chaoslink20

Smash Cadet
Are you sure you downloaded paprika killer's .gct file? If you didn't, that may be the reason why it doesn't work. If you download paprika's .gct, then download his .txt file for brawl+ and choose the codes you want to use with code manager.

Almas

Smash Lord
Currently Brawl+ cannot be run without the homebrew channel. This is prone to change, either through an exploit in Brawl or Comex' Menu Exploit being tweaked.

It's possible that your PAL issues are caused by having an SD Loader .gct instead of a real one. I know Paprika himself uses the Snapshot method, so maybe he has hosted multiple .gcts and you DL'd the wrong one. How large is the .gct file?

Lui9078

Smash Apprentice
wow...

I had all but given up on brawl for the longest time. I haven't touched my copy of brawl in months. This project has gotten me really excited about the prospect of what Brawl+ can bring to the table. I just wanted to say thank you to the masterminds behind this, and I cannot wait to head home from work and attempt to get this on my Wii!

~Z

Mite000

Smash Rookie
I'm having some trouble with the updated version of Brawl + and I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand. Whenever I load up Gecko OS and then click Launch, it says "Codes Error: Too Many Codes". I've never had this problem before and when I switched back to an older version of Brawl + then it worked again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I'm having some trouble with the updated version of Brawl + and I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand. Whenever I load up Gecko OS and then click Launch, it says "Codes Error: Too Many Codes". I've never had this problem before and when I switched back to an older version of Brawl + then it worked again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Are you using the newest Gecko OS/do you have gameconfig.txt?

Mite000

Smash Rookie
I can't say for sure. I'm using the version of Gecko that was within the Full SD package, I believe it's the newest. 1.9.0.1. I also have a file called "config.dat" if that's what you're talking about.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I can't say for sure. I'm using the version of Gecko that was within the Full SD package, I believe it's the newest. 1.9.0.1. I also have a file called "config.dat" if that's what you're talking about.
If I meant config.dat I would have said config.dat. gameconfig.txt needs to be in the root of the sd card, it's in the brawlplusery thread I think.

Mite000

Smash Rookie
Never mind, it was that I accidentally deleted the "gameconfig.txt" lol. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the quick help. I'm having another slight issue though, I don't seem to be receiving any of these spoken of new costumes? At least not where I would normally change the color of the characters

InvisibleMuffin

Smash Cadet
Currently Brawl+ cannot be run without the homebrew channel. This is prone to change, either through an exploit in Brawl or Comex' Menu Exploit being tweaked.

It's possible that your PAL issues are caused by having an SD Loader .gct instead of a real one. I know Paprika himself uses the Snapshot method, so maybe he has hosted multiple .gcts and you DL'd the wrong one. How large is the .gct file?
I've tried several, all don't work, but the main one is 9.13kb, from the folder '4.1 Official Codeset' in the site he hosted the files.
Placed in the folder [SD]:/codes
I know which .gct is the snapshot loader, it's about 130ish bytes.

Gecko is loading SD Cheats, I get the message 'SD Codes found, loading codes'

Or something along those lines.

The gameconfig.txt is the following:

Code:
RSB?01:
codeliststart = 80570000
codelistend = 80580000
poke(800042B8, 60000000)
pokeifequal(80000000, 52534245, 803E9930, 60000000)
pokeifequal(80000000, 5253424A, 803E99A8, 60000000)
pokeifequal(80000000, 52534250, 803E9D5C, 60000000)
pokeifequal(80000000, 52534245, 801D5F60, 4800000C)
pokeifequal(80000000, 52534245, 80016C50, 60000000)
pokeifequal(80000000, 5253424A, 801D5FD8, 4800000C)
pokeifequal(80000000, 5253424A, 80016C50, 60000000)
pokeifequal(80000000, 52534250, 801D6740, 4800000C)
pokeifequal(80000000, 52534250, 80016CC4, 60000000)

Yes, it's in the root of the card.

I was proud that I was able to make homebrew and gecko work by myself, but just this one final thing seems to like going to **** :ohwell:

And I wouldn't think I'd need to use a code manager if the .gct is already compiled, so gecko does it itself.

I'll try the snapshot method again, but I'm not expecting too much.

Revven

FrankerZ
IS it possible to get B+ w/ a usb instead of an SD card? I saw someone with a usb in their wii a few days ago at a tourney.
Two things:

1) No because Gecko OS is not compatible with Flash Drives as of yet. It only searches for an SD Card.

2) If by you mean USB, having the Brawl ISO on the Flash Drive and loading it that way (which still needs an SD Card to find the codes) then yes. However, you always need an SD Card.

Top Bottom