• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Expansion?

zergman

Smash Cadet
First I would like to say I like the roster. At first I was a little sad by some characters not making it, but it looks fun. When you take 11 new characters, fix some balancing and gameplay issues, add a level creator, allow customizable music for levels, add a well thought out solo player game and add online play amongst other things to an already great game, then I think we will all enjoy it in the end.

With all that said does anyone know if it is even possible for Nintendo to create an expansion for Brawl? Either a downloadable or disc expansion that adds more characters, stages, trophies and what not. To my knowlege it hasn't ever been done for a Nintendo game before, but then again they have never had the memory storage that the Wii does. With all the people purchasing the game, and the number of people wanting additional characters I think Nintendo would be stupid not to if its possible. It took 3 years to make the game, but they could make an expansion to the game in a year and make close to the same amount in sales. I know if they released an expansion in a year or two that added 15 new characters and some stages I would pay 50-60 for it, no question.
It would also be nice to make a ranking system that still kept people anonymous (for the little kiddies safety). Something along the lines of the ranking system they use for Warcaft 3 would work great.

Even if this is unlikely do you think they will have updates that effect the game, incase they find a bug or have other gameplay issues?

P.S. I tried to do a forum search before I made this post, but it kept giving me errors.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
How cool would it be if Sakurai said...

"Brawl may be my last Smash game, but who said I would stop working on it? More characters and stages for everyone!"

zergman

Smash Cadet
How cool would it be if Sakurai said...

"Brawl may be my last Smash game, but who said I would stop working on it? More characters and stages for everyone!"
Thats what I would like. I think after he is finished updating the Dojo that should be his last update :)

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Nintendo would strike a pot of gold if they made an expansion or had downloadable content like new characters. I'm hoping for this, but not counting on it...after all, this is Nintendo we're talking about here, not Microsoft.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm gonna call a big "no" on that one.

I'd love an expansion or DL content, but Nintendo is a stubborn company. They won't do it.

Heck, I'd pay an extra 15 bucks simply to have a Melee expansion pack (M2, possibly Doc/Roy/Pichu and the levels that didn't make it). I'd pay another 10 just for the N64 stages.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Whont happen. Unless Nintendo makes a hard drive or makes the Wii compatible with USB external harddrives, you do know an expansion would have to be VERY big. Right?

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Whont happen. Unless Nintendo makes a hard drive or makes the Wii compatible with USB external harddrives, you do know an expansion would have to be VERY big. Right?
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Nintendo having to make some sort of Hard Drive for the Wii sooner or later. I mean, all those downloaded VC games are eventually going to fill up the system's memory, and a hard drive would open up all kinds of possibilities for downloadable content.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Hence why i said, that it whont happen UNLESS they do release a hard drive.

Besides, there are many characters done already, take for example Ridley, he could very well be turned from Boss to PC.

Of Course, this is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. And it wouldn't happen in some years.

CAPTAIN BUTTS

Smash Cadet
A possibly more likely scenario:

For newly released games they wish to promote, Nintendo adds a patch to the game disk containing an unlockable character from that game. If a Brawl save file is found, it installs. Most avid Smashers would insert wooden toothpicks into their urethra if it meant getting a new character, and those who buy the game in question would hear about the bonus involved and would be more likely to get a hold of a copy of Brawl. It makes sense from a business stand point. Honestly I feel this is a pretty good way for Nintendo to take the initiative on those somewhat lagging 3rd party software sales.

Of course, there's the problem of using these characters online with people who don't have them. And the problem of buying and returning these games just to get the character unlocked. And the hard-drive space issue. But it's nothing I feel they couldn't overcome.

Maybe you guys should send some emails? Honestly, they'd be doing themselves a favor.

Brawler Lime

Smash Cadet
heres something i heard- its just a rumour, so keep in mind its probably not true.
The Wii-V (rumoured console, a wii, in the tv, that streams channels and what not) will have two disc drives, meaning games can have double the space, so in future, past games can be iinncluded entirely on the latest version.

Johivin

Smash Rookie
Can someone please explain when Sakurai stated this was the last Smash Brothers game?
All I've ever read stated that he treats each one as if its the last.

CAPTAIN BUTTS

Smash Cadet
Can someone please explain when Sakurai stated this was the last Smash Brothers game?
All I've ever read stated that he treats each one as if its the last.

Pretty sure he's said this might be HIS last Smash Bros. game, but, Nintendo is Nintendo.

Also note that I am not a Sakurai quote machine so I may be making this up entirely.

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
That'd be cool if it had a chance in heck of actually happening.

But the Wii lacks a HDD, and Nintendo probably didn't leave themselves a backdoor for SSBB to download and use new content given to it from an SD card for anything but create-as-stage.

Thus, unless they repackaged the game with more additions later (unlikely as heck, since they didn't do it for Melee, and it sounds like that game left a lot more on the cutting room floor to ship 'on time') likely at full price, what we're seeing is what we'll be getting until SSB:?

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
There is a possibility of this happening but its low and maybe not for about 2 years in my opinion.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I also had this idea and people, i think that we should get into it in a serious way... if smash boards is one of the biggest smash communities in the world, if we manage to speak as a community it should have some weight...

just imagine that two years after brawl release, an expanson pack is anounced , which it's the same game, but with more characters, soem upgrades at the wifi system, more stages, more optinos to the stage builder )imagine adding the otion of warp pipes and stage scrolling, plus some more tiles and tilesets), another one player adventure, etc.. just that, expand the game, improve it even further, make the awesome game, just more awesome XD

for now i think that we should just wait until march 9... and play the game like hell... but try to keep this idea in mind... I dont think that nintendo wants to do it from now.. but maybem with the right words at the right man...

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
It's actually impossible to add content such as new characters or stages to Brawl. The game isn't set up to expand in such a way.

I'd love it. They should really look into it, as they could make so much money off of this.

I'd pay for it.

But will it happen? Nah. No way.

PrismSub7

Smash Rookie
DLC = No
Expansion = Never
Adding stuff to the Player's Choice edition = Not likely

D

Deleted member

That would be utterly ******** like yourself and this topic. It's NOT happening.
By your logic, waking up with a lifetime supply of non-fattening ice cream is also ********.

Might unlikely yes (****!), but not impossible by any means.

It would mean we would have to get together as a community to put this out to Nintendo though. And no naysayers either. I'm a big believer in the fact that nothing is ever 100% impossible.

shroom

Smash Cadet
I had already been wondering about an expansion, but I had a slightly different idea:

Imagine:
"Brawl Tournament Edition"

It would use all of the same characters but would be able to add several, 10 or 15, more because most, notall, of the one player. Almost all of the extremly random stages would be gone. If the designers were to start with the same software and take out almost all single player options and bogus stages they could have 50 characters and 50 stages, with a huge chunk of neutrals.

I doubt this would ever be made but if they started with the same software it would be fairly easy to make and they could realease it once sales died down from brawl.

kaid

Smash Master
To all the naysayers...

Famicom Disk System
Sateliview
N64-DD

Nintendo has a history of expanding old games. Just not recently.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
I've been saying Brawl Tournament Edition as an option since before we knew the 35 was a done deal. It'd sell. Smash is pretty much the only fighter series so far WITHOUT a spin off expansion title.

Top Bottom