• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
BTW there are also like 2-3 ******* elitists whom I will not name who do attend the tourneys I go to and it really is a case of ''are you going to be the one who gives a ****."

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
For swallowcide and stuff, I'm fine with it. For infinites, I'm... apathetic, I guess. If it's a tournament, then there's no reason not to do it. For friendlies, I dunno. I'll be honest I haven't been exposed to this stuff, and don't care one way or the other about infinites, especially considering there's a small selection of characters that it affects. My opinion will probably voided just because I don't have a main and haven't been to a tournament, I suppose.

As for the other part... that bothers me a lot and might even make me reconsider showing up to tournaments at all. I seriously hope there's a way to be good at Smash without being a jerk. I guess that's MY "mental wall" as a scrub: the possibility that the guy I'm playing is going to be a jerk to me. Even in friendlies I keep thinking that I might be the REASON the other guy gets bored; that I'm just so horrible that I'm inducing boredom in my opponent.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I just read up a little, are you guys seriously surprised that some people say a character sucks?
Compared to high/top tiers, low/bottom do suck.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
As for the other part... that bothers me a lot and might even make me reconsider showing up to tournaments at all. I seriously hope there's a way to be good at Smash without being a jerk. I guess that's MY "mental wall" as a scrub: the possibility that the guy I'm playing is going to be a jerk to me. Even in friendlies I keep thinking that I might be the REASON the other guy gets bored; that I'm just so horrible that I'm inducing boredom in my opponent.
A few people being rude are going to be the reason you wont go??????? I mean I can even chill and make jokes with the elitist guys, they're just rude about smash and stuff.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Last I checked, Brawl was rated T for teen.

The kid's only a year off, and like anybody really follows the ESRB ratings.

Why do you think you see 10 year olds playing Halo?

Barge

I personally don't believe in Tiers. I can understand match ups, but I've seen Falcons **** Metaknights, even under compeditive rules, and the two of them were having good enough fights that I honestly just watched. The only reason that a character is "low tier" is because they haven't kicked everyone else's butt yet.
That's not what a tier list is, though. It's been stated over a million times AND its in the OP of both official tier list threads. A tier list is not a match outcome, its a list that gives a general idea of what character is doing well in the metagame, tournament results and matchups of that character. It's saying if a metaknight was going against a Falcon, and both players are exactly the same in skill level, the MK would win.
The C.Falcons you saw winning were obviously better than the MK users, or the mk users were sand bagging >_>

@Kinzer: That's just the game, hes not talking about the game. He's talking about the competitive scenes and being in an area filled with older people.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Last I checked, Brawl was rated T for teen.

The kid's only a year off, and like anybody really follows the ESRB ratings.

Why do you think you see 10 year olds playing Halo?
I said competitive Smash, not the game, but the entire ****ing thing. 12 year olds should NOT be going to places where people make rude jokes about sex and booze and make references to shows he's probably never seen in his life, not to mention the people like me who like to yell crazy stuff when awesome things happen. I go out with people to get food and my calling sign is "We's got food *****es!" Yeah, that will be great for his parents to hear. Not only that, some people get high or drunk and then go to the tourney and sometimes when you're at a guys house they get high right ****ing there.

And that kid who plays Halo like a beast is in another realm than an average kid. It's like comparing a kid who gets an honorable mention at the science fair to Einstein.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
A few people being rude are going to be the reason you wont go??????? I mean I can even chill and make jokes with the elitist guys, they're just rude about smash and stuff.
Let me put it this way...

There's a huge difference in my mind between:

"Good game, you've got a long way to go to get better though" + or - possible details as to WHAT I need to work on.

and

"You suck, get out of here and don't bother showing up again."

Granted BOTH don't bother to tell me what I did wrong in the first place (assuming the - on the first), but I'd rather hear the first in any event than the second. And... from lurking on Smashboards, it seems like the second would be more realistic to hear... but then again, I've never actually been to a tournament, so what do I know?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We ARE Technically playing a childs game though... >.>

Ah well whatever, nobody really cares about the age, some people are just childs at heart, nothing wrong with that.

Still doesn't mean just because they're older they get a right to be an @-hole about it, and it's sad stuff like that even concerns people in the first place.

But oh well, you can't change people.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Let me put it this way...

There's a huge difference in my mind between:

"Good game, you've got a long way to go to get better though" + or - possible details as to WHAT I need to work on.

and

"You suck, get out of here and don't bother showing up again."

Granted BOTH don't bother to tell me what I did wrong in the first place (assuming the - on the first), but I'd rather hear the first in any event than the second. And... from lurking on Smashboards, it seems like the second would be more realistic to hear... but then again, I've never actually been to a tournament, so what do I know?
He just said that the kid sucks. "Dude you suck"=/=LOL NEVAR TRY TO GET GOOD EVAR LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL NEW***. Stop treating real life like /b/, holy ****.

Kinzer you dont get what I'm trying to ****ing say. He shouldn't be around people that are that older than him, holy ****, that's it. Stop talking about the stupid ****ing ESRB label that's not the **** point.

(Also get on AIM)

Barge

We ARE Technically playing a childs game though... >.>

Ah well whatever, nobody really cares about the age, some people are just childs at heart, nothing wrong with that.

Still doesn't mean just because they're older they get a right to be an @-hole about it, and it's sad stuff like that even concerns people in the first place.

But oh well, you can't change people.
Competition brings out the worst in people. But there should be more self-control >_>.
But I'm only talking about the crazy insults.
Honestly, I'd rather take blunt, short and sweet truth then "you're okay".
"You suck" makes me want to get better.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'd like to know that as a guy with something pretty rare, I find when people say I suck, I choose to not care and A.) Have sex with hookers or B.) Actually try to get good so they cant say I suck.

That super rare thing in case you couldn't figure it out, was a freaking spine.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
BTW Falcon, as for the kid not being there at the tourney... well the only problem I see is that he might be one year off from being able to play the game according to the ESRB.

When you go out to places, of course you'll be exposed to stuff like that, and I guess that's the risk his parents should know. I don't know why people make such a fuss about it sooner or later, the kid IS going to find out that his wee-wee is for more than just peeing. It should be the responsibility of the person to control themselves as Barge said, but oh well, let him find out.

It's no different if you take him to a smash tourney or Disneyland, there will be people around, and even though that mgiht be an extreme example, I hope you understand where I'm trying to get out.

...LOL InB4 Minney mouse sexual puns.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
He just said that the kid sucks. "Dude you suck"=/=LOL NEVAR TRY TO GET GOOD EVAR LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL NEW***. Stop treating real life like /b/, holy ****.
I apologize. Evidently, I exaggerate things as simple as "you suck" and convolute them into something it's not.

With that said, I don't really have a problem with the phrase itself, without the self-created implications. I'll just go "I know" and figure out why I suck.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
This thread gets more intense every time I look away. :p I'm not going to comment on it, only because both sides of it seem to be represented quite well enough.

And I know that a Tierlist is a representation of how well the character is doing in it's Metagame, and I'm fine with that part. However, a lot of information also comes from only mainstream tournaments, when there are plenty of mistakes that go on in them. Plus, there are lots of tournaments and players that aren't accounted for all overer, but that if were put into place, would change several factors, possibly giving those "low-tiers" a view in a much more positive light. I personally think that Tiers should be made specifically from the way match-ups are, instead of the popularity list styles of tournament statistics. I know plenty of people are going to flame me for this, but still, wouldn't it be more accuare (albeit -more ddifcult) to style a tierlist from the number of difficult, easy, and mid-way matchups a character has? That way, the only things that would give a character up or down movement from the list would be game-breaking changes to it's meta-game. Again, I'm expecting to be flamed a lot for this.

I still think that, no matter how good or bad someone is, that you still need to learn to treat other people with some degree of respect, unless they act out enough to not deserve it. I almost got that bad (probably did get that bad) on one of the Poke Center Threads, and I'm trying to fix that. I have both Aggresion and Depression. I can get offended very easily, and am willing to stab someone on the spot over something incredibly trivial. And even I can real back insults in a game, unless again, someone does something stupid or acts the roll of the Fool.

Does the ESRB even matter anymore? I saw little girls that couldn't reach up to my knee trying to play Gears of War 2. :p

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Some fighters are more balanced than others. In some cases low tiers are still very unique but are harder to use and not quite as 100% rewarding, but are still viable. In Brawl's case this is not true because the *******es used the casual label to not work on **** when it came to bull crap like infinites.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Who are you to babysit other people though? I don't know though and I might have a different perspective since I really don't care about what happens to other people who don't matter to me.

for all I could concern myself about, that little 12 year old boy could grow up to be a 15 year old pimp, and even though that goes against all morals/I really don't want to see that happen, that would be so funny to hear about/be BA.

Anyway I don't know what I'm saying, I'm going to bed, nighty night.

Plus, I use to talk to a model who was 18 tears old... when i was 15, so it's not too bad to be around people who are older than you, especially when it's young children being around elders who can teach stuff, I dunno >.>

Browny

Smash Hater
I have no truoble edgehogging anyone, and i think im a very respecful player. Prime example is the vs the likes of Olimar (as usual). Olimars strengths are his incredible grab games and high power smashes. with those positives comes a negative, his recovery. If im not allowed to abuse his recovery, then by the same logic, olimar should not be allowed to grab me or use smash attacks. You cant just demand that people not abuse your characters weakness and THEN continue to abuse your opponents' weaknesses by staying out of thier range and grabbing etc.

your last two examples are far more disrespectful that the first. That kid who insulted your brother really needs to have his nose broken or something

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Holy crap, I'm gone for two days, and already this thread gets to teh 19th page. Granted a little bit of that was just being socialable (I'm trying to be nice and not call you all desperate people for trying to hook-up over the internet/being silly about how to take advantage of men >.>), but regardless I like this thread. There was also too many posts I wanted to respond too, but people find it annoying if I revive old posts, so I'll let somebody else do that honor and go from there.

I'll start with backtracking and stating my opinion for the 2nd week (even though that didn't last a week, but no problem):

Some infinites I would allow, liek the ICs alt CGs and the wall infinites, which don't happen a lot because of the circumstances/were earned/ can be avoided, but things like infinites D3s infinties on certain characters are not allowed. I'll start by saying although it may be preference, but I'd rather see a 6-minute fight that was filled with different mvoes and showed both people had lots of skill in it, not some guy simply picking a character to lock the chances of the other character for winning in those 6-minutes, that's BOOOOOOOOORING! Now going away from preference, I think it shouldn't be done at all because it's impossible to avoid and breaks the game, yes I know Sakurai failed to remove it from the game, but why can't we? Didn't we pay $60 to make this game into whatever we want, as in a fair game were tactical skill is displayed, not some cheap manuever that perhaps the person shouldn't deserve because tehre is a possibility that he would've lost without such a stupid technique? I don't see why people want to keep this in-game, but I guess everybody has to have their opinion, yes.

Now for the third week (which I'm sorry I haven't read the O.P. yet, but I will soon enough >.>) is things like swallowcides and the like, it's perfectly legal. For one it's not unavoidable, it's very predictable, easily seen coming, and can be heavily punished if you work around it. Sure I was pissed the first time I got D3cided, but that was my own mistake and I should've known better than to fall for such a silly thing and will most likely not have the same thing happen to me again.
We stopped doing weeks and just did it when we felt like it.
Because usually it doesnt take a week and it would get boring if we kept it up for a whole week. I dont know.

Aqua did it not occur to you that taking a ****ing 12 year old to a place where lots of older guys will be at might be kinda, idunno, irresponsible? I doubt he 'talked trash', hearing "you suck" isn't something you should be crying about. Competitive smash is way above his age level.

And lol@at the the thread, some characters suck, deal.

Tourneys are a place where people make rude jokes and cuss a lot, people are loud. If you aren't good be humble and nothing should happen to you. I suck and I'm very open with it, and I am able to hang out with lots of people at tourneys, and I'm like 2-3 years younger than most of them.
Still thats what im trying to change.
Brawl shouldnt be a place where you get trash talked and have rude jokes and cuss alot.
Melee wasnt like that and Brawl shouldnt either.
Thats anouther reason why this thread exists, to make a diffrence?

And thats not fair because even littler kids are good at brawl.
My brother is really good at brawl, And he did really good in the tourny,
I think he could of been satisfied at where he placed if there wasnt jerks and other things going on around him.

I said competitive Smash, not the game, but the entire ****ing thing. 12 year olds should NOT be going to places where people make rude jokes about sex and booze and make references to shows he's probably never seen in his life, not to mention the people like me who like to yell crazy stuff when awesome things happen. I go out with people to get food and my calling sign is "We's got food *****es!" Yeah, that will be great for his parents to hear. Not only that, some people get high or drunk and then go to the tourney and sometimes when you're at a guys house they get high right ****ing there.

And that kid who plays Halo like a beast is in another realm than an average kid. It's like comparing a kid who gets an honorable mention at the science fair to Einstein.
Once again, THIS IS SO WRONG, TOURNY'S SHOULDNT BE LIKE THIS AT ALL.
------------
In plus. There wasnt an age limit at the tourny, If there was I could understand. But whos to say that they shouldnt go? I think that if there is a little kid that wants to go to a touny let him! Whats wrong with him trying to advance his brawl skills, if he is good or not? No one is to say that they cant go.
---------------------
And I come back and there are like a ton of posts, i was at my tourny all day and all that.
Took me forever to read it all and update the first post.
I try and be a responcible thread owner and keep up with this. Sorry I wasnt here yesterday.

Smash Master
My group has the most fun when we are actively trying to break the game. Infinites/gimping, etc... are all encouraged and fun. We don't use MK, though, because our group has deemed such a tactic uncounterable. Of course, in tourney I'll go MK and spam Nado and D-Smash all day.

Someone's freedom to curse should not be compromised by your intolerance to cursing.

swordgard

Smash Hero
My group has the most fun when we are actively trying to break the game. Infinites/gimping, etc... are all encouraged and fun. We don't use MK, though, because our group has deemed such a tactic uncounterable. Of course, in tourney I'll go MK and spam Nado and D-Smash all day.

Someone's freedom to curse should not be compromised by your intolerance to cursing.
Uncounterable? Wow, you guys definitly dont know how to break the game then. Once you understand MKs mechanic, hes much easier to beat.

Barge

I love that.
It's true though, you can't take your 12 year old brother to a place where, as falcon said before, people are
1. Drunk
2. Loud
3. High
4. Just trying to have fun.
and expect no one to curse?

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I don't think she expects nobody to curse. It's just that around a 12 year old you gotta calm down a bit and not act too rowdy around em. There's no age limit in brawl tournaments so people should be as loud and high amongst themselves as they want just not whilst younger people who have as much right to brawl are around. You say people are just trying to have fun. Well let everybody have fun even kids and don't act a jerk by insulting younger brawlers...

On discussion 2: Infinites are cheap. Eg. I just got chaingrabbed as fox by pikachu or by DDD by Mario. It's abusing character match ups so they are kinda discourteous. But for the most part a lot of chaingrabs require skill to set up so that's why I think that they should be used. It's your opponents fault if they get grabbed by the Ice Climbers. Once you've got them in that situation you should be allowed to do whatever you want. Or if you get caught in the wobble phase by a falco laser lock then again it's requires skill for your opponent to set them up and also teaches the victim to avoid being careless. But certain chaingrabs/infinites are slightly discourteous and cheap. It's your own decision whether you use them and still require a bit of skill eg. DDD grabbing his opponent but it's a cheap way to win a game and if it were up top me I would use them a bit but let the opponent go after a relative amount of damage just to teach them...

On kirby/DDDciding: It may be slightly cheap but it's extremely predictable and so therefore if you capture your opponent you deserve to attempt a kill. It's not very hard to escape especially on low damages so can't be abused very much. I would therefore use this to the best of my advantage if I had a chance but that of course is personal preferance...

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Again, unless they prove themselves not worth respecting, Older People should be able to naturally hold it back in and be nice to the young people. Cussing is going to happen occasionally, and is to be expected when someone is fighting someone else. And Trash Talking is also to occur. I feel weird without being able to go "PUNKED! HOW'S THAT AURA SPHERE TASTE? :p" Trash Talking after a well timed hit/kill is probably the norm. But still, people can have stoping points and learn to be respectful to others. Btw, I didn't realise the N word was bad on this board. :p

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Discussion Section B:
Really? Usually the people who are arrogant pieces of crap are the ones who don't even go to tournaments and think they are the best...

Finding a jerk at tournaments are few and far between but it does happen. The best thing that can be done is just let it roll off your shoulder, but the other factor is the person who is taking it. Are they sensitive? If so, yeah its going to sting being chewed out like that and to be honest, I don't know any kind of advice for that then.

Though if it was me that the guy was so disrespectful to, I wouldn't even shake his hand or look him in the eye and say, "good game." If I won, I'd just unplug my controller and walk away. If I lost, yeah I'm going to be frustrated that I lost to someone who deserved to be run over by a truck and backed up on.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I think if you're doing a match and you're not going to win anything (It's not a tournament) then things like chain-grabbing, ledge-hogging, and spamming moves are all a disrespectful way to win.

But if you're playing in a tournament I can tolerate people doing those kinds of things.

voomm

Smash Apprentice
My friend SD's all the time and it makes me feel bad because he does it at least 3 times a round!;)

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
I'm a respectful brawler. When I pick some characters like Snake, I usually don't spam ftilt or just chuck grenades in 3-4 player matches. Sometimes, it's because I'm afraid people will stop playing if I keep spamming cheap moves.

Barge

Theres no such thing as cheap. If you can't get around spamming, and then give an excuse like "its cheap, stop doing that" then you suck.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
there is, cheap is when you get an undeserved advantage. An unearned one

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I'm going to chime in on this... I was at the same tourney the OP was at and played her in pools. Her little brother was in the pool next to ours. Had that happened to my younger brother, the perpertrator would have gotten punched in the face. I didn't realize Smashers were so insecure that they needed to cut down kids in order to feel superior AT A VIDEO GAME.

I've been going to tournaments for a long time now, and I've never seen the kind of deplorable, outright disrespect I've seen at my last couple of out-of-state Brawl tournaments. Look, I know some of you aren't old enough to drive yet, and you probably just started going to tournaments recently, but there is absolutely NO REASON for anyone to act like that, especially to little kid(or anyone, of any age for that matter) you never even met until today.

Don't get me wrong, I yell out "SHORYUKEN!" at the top of my lungs whenever I get an Up-B kill with Luigi. I joke around with my friends about how much they(or I) suck, and we may let a curse word or two fly, however, I do try to be respectful when there are younger players around. It wouldn't even cross my mind to tell someone whom I've never met, and may be entering their first tournament, that they 'sucked'.

I bet whoever said that either didn't get out of pools, or got 2-0ed in the main bracket. Even if they weren't as good as you, the right thing to do would be to say, "Hey, man. Good game. I think you should practice more next time." Beyond that, you could even point out things they did wrong, and how to improve.

I thought that was one of the fundamentals of tournaments; People with differing styles and characters coming together to share knowledge and improve the overall talent of the player base. Now, before someone comes in here all "I PLAY 2 WIN! I WANNA HOLD DAVID SIRLIN'S JOCK!1!1," Yeah, we're all here to win, blah blah, but that doesn't give you the right to be a douche about it.

I don't know exactly why the community turned into a bunch of impatient, whiny, simply disrespectful *******es, but IT NEEDS TO STOP. NOW. You're hurting the community as a whole. If these kinds of actions are allowed to continue, it's going to be the end of Competitive Smash as we know it.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I personally think that if a person has an unfair tactic, and can't win without using it, that they're being cheap.

Forexample, this one kirby kept trying to Vore-Suicide me, and that was the only way he ever got kills on me. And it was the very first time I ever encountered this phenomena. But once I realised what he was doing, I punished him every single time for it. His Kirby never won another match against me. Granted, the suicide is already punishable, but this applies to other techniques. But the Kirby only beat me our first game because of that one move, which because I was in the heat of the momment I didn't know exactly how to counter it. I personally picked the same stage, and I used Lucario again, this time, making sure to stay aerial and use my Aura Sphere a lot. Let him chew on that. He called me cheap, and wanted to redo the stage again. I then used lots of dodging instead of my aerials or Aura Sphere, and the result was the same. Although the Suicide Move is one that can easily be stoped, it was still his only way to win. And he was cheap for trying it and not being able to do anything else. And he was punished for it. That was the only way he was able to make it up the ramps in the tournament (it was just a party for a birthday for some friends, but a tournament none the less, darn it!).

That's one example, but maybe you can see where I'm coming from with that. When I saw Mew2king chain-grab that Warrior, I was like, Dang dude, that's low.... But then again, even neglecting that 1 life, Mew2King was fully capable of winning the match by Dedede's natural abilities and his own natural skills, so Mew2King wasn't really cheap for doing that move. It's still a cheap move, but he's not cheap for it, since he can win just as well without it. Granted, it is very dirty to do something like that... atleast in my oppinion.

And Po Pimpus, I don't think that fact could be stated any better. Kudos. Again, in game fighting strategies may change from player to player, but out of game respect should be a given to all.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I guess while it may be a "cheap" tactic, it's not cheap to do. You have to play to win, and if the only way you can win is, for example, suiciding with bowser, then go for it. Once people start adapting to it, like you did, then they will be forced to change their strategies

Barge

I personally think that if a person has an unfair tactic, and can't win without using it, that they're being cheap.

Forexample, this one kirby kept trying to Vore-Suicide me, and that was the only way he ever got kills on me. And it was the very first time I ever encountered this phenomena. But once I realised what he was doing, I punished him every single time for it. His Kirby never won another match against me. Granted, the suicide is already punishable, but this applies to other techniques. But the Kirby only beat me our first game because of that one move, which because I was in the heat of the momment I didn't know exactly how to counter it. I personally picked the same stage, and I used Lucario again, this time, making sure to stay aerial and use my Aura Sphere a lot. Let him chew on that. He called me cheap, and wanted to redo the stage again. I then used lots of dodging instead of my aerials or Aura Sphere, and the result was the same. Although the Suicide Move is one that can easily be stoped, it was still his only way to win. And he was cheap for trying it and not being able to do anything else. And he was punished for it. That was the only way he was able to make it up the ramps in the tournament (it was just a party for a birthday for some friends, but a tournament none the less, darn it!).

That's one example, but maybe you can see where I'm coming from with that. When I saw Mew2king chain-grab that Warrior, I was like, Dang dude, that's low.... But then again, even neglecting that 1 life, Mew2King was fully capable of winning the match by Dedede's natural abilities and his own natural skills, so Mew2King wasn't really cheap for doing that move. It's still a cheap move, but he's not cheap for it, since he can win just as well without it. Granted, it is very dirty to do something like that... atleast in my oppinion.

And Po Pimpus, I don't think that fact could be stated any better. Kudos. Again, in game fighting strategies may change from player to player, but out of game respect should be a given to all.
That's not really cheap though, you can easily avoid and punish that.
People say moves are cheap because they keep falling for the same thing over and over and don't know how/don't want to bother to get out of it.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Discussion Section B:
Really? Usually the people who are arrogant pieces of crap are the ones who don't even go to tournaments and think they are the best...

Though if it was me that the guy was so disrespectful to, I wouldn't even shake his hand or look him in the eye and say, "good game." If I won, I'd just unplug my controller and walk away. If I lost, yeah I'm going to be frustrated that I lost to someone who deserved to be run over by a truck and backed up on.
inorite.

If I won to a guy like that, it'd be hilarious if I did that. Just never say anything or make eye-contact or cheer when I won, unplug my controller, and just leave.

...or I'd turn around and scream, "IN YOUR F$#@ING FACE!", then leave.

Theres no such thing as cheap. If you can't get around spamming, and then give an excuse like "its cheap, stop doing that" then you suck.
No johns.

If I play friendlies with my casual friends then I don't do things like gimp/infinite/etc because I don't want it to be a massacre, and I'd like for those people to get the chance to fight more. But if I'm playing on Wi-Fi, playing competitively, or playing in a tournament, I won't hesitate to chain grab, gimp, etcetera.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
But some moves are cheap enough that the victim can do absolutely nothing about it until he is killed and respawned, and that my friend is cheap. Honestly, when a player performs a chaingrab and the other player (due to the situation or the characters picked) knows that it is impossible to get out of until he is killed, puts the controller down and then walks away to use the restroom and pay for a soda before coming back to sit down and watch until he is killed, then picks his controller back up once he respawns, SOMETHING IS FRIGGING WRONG!

And it's easy to say "that's why you don't get grabbed", but that theory isn't so good in practice when grabs are the only thing a cheap person would do.

Barge

But some moves are cheap enough that the victim can do absolutely nothing about it until he is killed and respawned, and that my friend is cheap. Honestly, when a player performs a chaingrab and the other player (due to the situation or the characters picked) knows that it is impossible to get out of until he is killed, puts the controller down and then walks away to use the restroom and pay for a soda before coming back to sit down and watch until he is killed, then picks his controller back up once he respawns, SOMETHING IS FRIGGING WRONG!
That's why you don't get grabbed

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
You can say "Don't get grabbed" if you're fighting IC because their grab range sucks. For D3, it's not so easy.

I figure chain grabs are fine; if it was a counterpick, then it was a counterpick--the person did it to win that match and get a chance for the set. If you win that match, your opponent can counterpick someone who doesn't get chain grabbed.

Since some chain grabs only happen on some people, you can avoid getting grabbed to escape them, and each different CG has a counter, I figure CGing is fine.

IMO, infiniting is pointless and is just wasting time when you could kill someone. But I don't think it should be banned...

MBreeto

Smash Ace
^ but infiniting is what racks up the damage which eventually leads to the kill. If infiniting did no damage, then no one would use it

Barge

Infiniting past 300% is banned for stalling.
That's the only reason someone would go past 300%

Top Bottom