• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl characters we hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
There are some characters that just didn't deserve to be in Brawl.

R.O.B.: Nintendo's unofficial "mascot," even though no one knows about it because it's only had like two cameos in twenty years. Those of you who say R.O.B. saved Nintendo: I reply that R.O.B. saved Nintendo once; Mario and Zelda have kept saved Nintendo countless times. Were it not for well-established staples like them, Nintendo would have died amidst Pikmin and Animal Crossing crap years ago. Not that I hate Olimar, it's just that people are more likely to buy a Wii for the next installment of a well-established series than something as bizarre as that. I know I didn't. And Nintendo only continues to get more bizarre with its new games. Yet we get R.O.B., while the Mario series loses a roster slot from Melee, and Zelda gets a character makeover. And the only decent retro character we gain is Pit. That is hardly fair. Which brings me to my next most-loathed character:

Toon Link: How many times do I have to get it through people's skulls? Toon Link is just an uglified version of Link. I don't care how different his physics are, he has the same **** moves, and will always be the same **** character. You can try to fit the different Links together throughout Hylian history until kingdom come and it still won't matter because Nintendo doesn't give a **** about that aspect of the Zelda games. It cares about continuing the series to make more money and will continue to create more and more variations of the same mythological character to achieve its own selfish ends. There are more original characters who are just as representative of the Zelda series than Toon Link/Young Link/Wolf Link/Masks Link/Fierce Diety Link/Dark World Bunny Link/Any other lame version of Link you guys can think of. And that isn't even considering the fact that WW was probably the biggest letdown in the history of Zelda games. People are so stupid. To those who wanted Toon Link as a PC: you deserve the cloniest clone of all time that Toon Link is. I really hope this cel-shading fad goes away before the next SSB.

And to round off the list: Ike. Sort of the same issue with Toon Link. I know they are different characters and that they at least have different special moves (sort of Mario/Luigi-ish, cuz of the counter), but FE has billions of characters to choose from. And we get two swordsmen. Nay, we get two blue-haired swordsmen. I don't know where the message got skewed on it's way up to Sakurai, but how the hell did word get out that people were okay with such lack of creativity? It's really pathetic. There are plenty of females in FE, there are plenty of staff/dagger/axe/magic-wielding characters in FE, there are plenty of non-blue-haired people in FE. I just find this an extreme lack of ingenuity. Or is FE (or are FE fans) really that boring?

And considering how much effort was put into making this game all about Kirby, I would have expected DeDeDe to suck less. Stupid Kirby fascism.

And I do agree that Pit is a very obnoxious opponent. Deserving of a roster spot, but annoying as hell.

DogsWithJobs

Smash Rookie
Don't get me wrong, I love snake and think he is an awesome character and probably one of the most unique in the game, but I really wish they had foreseen the whole mortar sliding thing. People who spam that and then complain that other characters are cheap just don't make sense to me.

Other then that I don't really have any hate towards anyone, although I will hop on the "star fox didn't need 3 reps" bandwagon.

Fawriel

Smash Master
@Dirkus ( oh hasn't it been just far too long since someone called you that? ):
I can relate to your focus on design. It's an important aspect after all, and I think it's one that the game actually succeeded in. I hate a lot of characters before I saw them in-game, but now I'm fine with most of them because Sakurai did manage to give them all a certain personality. And I admit that I'm simple like most people in a way - I'll like a character who looks pretty. Sole reason I wanted Krystal, Micaiah, Lyn or Gardevoir, really. I'm a very visual person, and it's just nice to have some beauty to look at, not just wannabe coolness and stuff.

I have no idea how Wario fits into this. Must be my sense of humor. Oh well. :p

And considering how much effort was put into making this game all about Kirby, I would have expected DeDeDe to suck less. Stupid Kirby fascism.
That line kind of killed your credibility. Dedede borders on overpowered.

As for the Toon Link hate... I'd like everyone who hates him for being "undeserving" to read this thread I made a long time ago before his appearance was made public: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120106
I won't expect anyone to change their minds, but it would at least be nice of you to consider the other side of the argument.

UncleChuckTH

Smash Rookie
I'm throwing Pit out there. Everything about him, not his smash attacks, those are good. I'm going to criticize the sheild, it can deflect nearly everything. The really annoying thing is the side b, don't remember what it's called. It can go on really long, and it's just a really annoying attack. I think Pit has some strategy to him, but he does have one of the worst FSs in the game. I'm probably saying this because I hate his VA and I just find him really annoying...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
@Dirkus ( oh hasn't it been just far too long since someone called you that? )
FAR too long. You're bringin' me back.

And I admit that I'm simple like most people in a way - I'll like a character who looks pretty. Sole reason I wanted Krystal, Micaiah, Lyn or Gardevoir, really. I'm a very visual person, and it's just nice to have some beauty to look at, not just wannabe coolness and stuff.
That's actually one of the main reasons I attached myself to Lucas back when he was first announced, and have stayed attached even after Ness was also announced (though he doesn't really fit under "beautiful", I'm sure you get my meaning).

I happen to think that the cast, in general, is pretty good looking. And Wario isn't ugly, exactly, but...well, I'm rambling.

I have no idea how Wario fits into this. Must be my sense of humor. Oh well. :p
Oh, my, you're an odd one, Fawriel.

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
Toon Link = this

If not for the CD-i, WW would be the worst Zelda game ever.

Lucas's U smash - I don't hate Lucas, just his U smash. It doesn't look like an attack!! That throws me off so badly.

Any one who has an "I spin around in a way that looks nothing like an attack, and hit you a bunch of times" That means Olimar, Pikachu, and Mario. Luigi's at least has the decency to glow blue. (Mario's isn't so bad)

As for Pikachu, I have more things to hate about it:

Down B: WAY too spammible for edge guarding and you can do it while retreating to hit them with the bolt. You might be thinking, "You can just air dodge it" but the bolt lasts almost as long as an air dodge. And worse yet, it's still an attack until the bolt is COMPLETELY gone.

His down smash: "Hey, I'm just going to spin around in a circle, shocking everything, impossible to out priority for anyone who doesn't have super armor more often then not.

But most of all, His Final Smash: Volt Tackle? That's just the US name for Volteccer, Pulseman's signature move. Pulseman was my top pick for Brawl, but no, My most hated character continue to be in this game, AND get's his signature move. Volt tackle was just a semi cameo for Pulseman when it was in pokemon.

And for all you G&W haters, G&W is awesome. most characters have some moves from their games, plus a bunch of other ones. Eruption? what the heck is that? Ike doesn't do any fire related moves in his game. But G&W? EVERY one of his attacks are from a G&W game. even his A repeater. even his Dtilt. even his Fsmsh. everything.

Ark098

Smash Cadet
*Jumps on SF bandwagon*

Wolf = completely unnecessary. 3 reps might have bee acceptable back 2 gens ago before last-gen abducted and mutilated StarFox before taking a massive crap on it and lighting it on fire.
agreed. wolf is over the top. people argue hes not a clone but hes very unoriginal.

toon link - looks stupid, ppl recon hes 'top tier material' ill gladly dedicate my brawling days to smashing toon link with my link.

ike. yes ike. i was really looking forward to playing ike when i saw the japanese vids but as soon as his english voice replaced 'mamorubeki mono no tame, tatakai dake da' with 'i fight for my friends' i lost all respect. too shallow? perhaps.

pit and marth. no good reason just that theyre overpowerd a bit. marths a bit too ultimate for my liking.

apart from that im pretty gud with the roster. used to be anti zss cos that suggests shes as good in the suit as out. which is stupid. dum chozos, making a useless suit. but im ova that now.

Slayer Wong

Smash Rookie
Toon Link: How many times do I have to get it through people's skulls? Toon Link is just an uglified version of Link. I don't care how different his physics are, he has the same **** moves, and will always be the same **** character. You can try to fit the different Links together throughout Hylian history until kingdom come and it still won't matter because Nintendo doesn't give a **** about that aspect of the Zelda games. It cares about continuing the series to make more money and will continue to create more and more variations of the same mythological character to achieve its own selfish ends. There are more original characters who are just as representative of the Zelda series than Toon Link/Young Link/Wolf Link/Masks Link/Fierce Diety Link/Dark World Bunny Link/Any other lame version of Link you guys can think of. And that isn't even considering the fact that WW was probably the biggest letdown in the history of Zelda games. People are so stupid. To those who wanted Toon Link as a PC: you deserve the cloniest clone of all time that Toon Link is. I really hope this cel-shading fad goes away before the next SSB.
1. Although money is a factor in any games, you have no authority in saying their main motive was to make money. Unless you were at Nintendo's meeting on this game, thank you, next comment.

2. You were wrong about one thing. Young link, Wolf link, mask links, and FD Link WERE in fact the same person or character while Toon Link was in a different timeline all together. The links you stated (besides Wolf Link) existed I guess 100 years ago while Toon Link has no connection to them (known as of right now that is) I laughed at "Dark World Bunny Link" tho, it sounds like a final boss to some 'Teletubbies in Action!' game.

This point also goes for where you said Nintendo doesn't care about the series and such, as you didn't make the game, nor did you play a part in the development, you are merely a consumer like the rest of us.

3. Have you played WW all the way? I doubt it. I assume the letdown is in the graphics (as you said the CEL shading is lame). Well, what are the odds if WW was made in similar graphics to TP? I bet you would really love the game due to the awesomeness of the graphics. Although I'm aware that some people play partly for graphics (nothing wrong with it), good gameplay will make up for it. Besides, the CEL shading is something new Nintendo did. You are not allowed to say something that strays off from the mainstream is bad either as you own the Wii. The Wii and even the DS strays off in controls of the PS3 and XBox360.

4. You said that you don't care if the physics are different, its that the attacks look the same. If so, are you saying that its okay for two, or even more characters all have different movesets but the same physics? I highly doubt it. if the physics are different, the attacks are different, no matter how the look.

5. Further separating Link and TLink, speed, weight, lag time, attacking range, boomerang mechanics, jumping height, and other things are different between links. The only things I see that are similar could be:

1. FS Animation. Okay I admit, they are exactly the same. But the thing is, if you were stuck in a Triforce Slash, you're pretty much dead unless its a large arena. Lets take a few other characters such as CFalco and Zelda/Sheik. They ALL require aim, and without it, it fails. Meaning, they all look different, but they have the same effect, and that is, your dead.

2. Fashion. Unless they are planning to make SSBB barbie doll lines, doesn't matter.

3. Bomb/Arrows. If this is the reason they are the same, please direct this debate to the Wolf/Fox/Falco also with the lasers.

Feel free to list more differences.

D13

Smash Ace
[ugh nevermind on this first part]

Anyway, I don't hate any of the characters yet because I haven't had enough experience playing each one.

Circu

Smash Rookie
This is my kind of thread! Pit really ticks me off. I can live with his attacks, and wings, what I can't stand is his bow... It does decent damage, infinite range, AND you can control it in air. The bow puts all the blasters in the game to shame! Where they trying to make the most annoying character ever?

Another character I hate on here is Snake. Not only do I think he is ridiculously overpowered, but as a huge MGS fan, I feel that the brawl version of him doesn't reflect him at all. Snake was more of a stealth based character the last I knew.

I'm actually pretty mad about Wolf. I'm also a huge Star Fox fan and once I knew that they were adding him to the game, I knew I was going to main him. That was until I played him. His forward smash is just way too cheap.

Also, give me back a decent Sheik!

Okay I feel better...

rove

Smash Apprentice
PIT.
I hate him so much, hes the most cheapest character in the game!
And everybody that uses him do the same stuff all the time that now I have no problem with him.

Mastodon91

Smash Rookie
Sooooooo much angst!

The only character that bugs me in this game is Zelda, just because of the excessive amounts of people I play who stand at the edge of the screen in FFAs and side-B spam. Pit isn't that bad, although his arrows ARE kinda cheap.

It's nice to know that the Smashboarders are so angsty .-.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I hate G & W: Stupid character, black 2D. Ugly animation. No style.

Marth: He is gay, and still people use him because they think he is powerful (He isnt. This game is VERY BALANCED). I love to kick Marth *****.

Toon Link: He is ugly and is a detestable clone.

Ganondorf: He is still a clone and his fightins style does not match his character being a wizard/thief.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
1. Although money is a factor in any games, you have no authority in saying their main motive was to make money. Unless you were at Nintendo's meeting on this game, thank you, next comment.

2. You were wrong about one thing. Young link, Wolf link, mask links, and FD Link WERE in fact the same person or character while Toon Link was in a different timeline all together. The links you stated (besides Wolf Link) existed I guess 100 years ago while Toon Link has no connection to them (known as of right now that is) I laughed at "Dark World Bunny Link" tho, it sounds like a final boss to some 'Teletubbies in Action!' game.

This point also goes for where you said Nintendo doesn't care about the series and such, as you didn't make the game, nor did you play a part in the development, you are merely a consumer like the rest of us.

3. Have you played WW all the way? I doubt it. I assume the letdown is in the graphics (as you said the CEL shading is lame). Well, what are the odds if WW was made in similar graphics to TP? I bet you would really love the game due to the awesomeness of the graphics. Although I'm aware that some people play partly for graphics (nothing wrong with it), good gameplay will make up for it. Besides, the CEL shading is something new Nintendo did. You are not allowed to say something that strays off from the mainstream is bad either as you own the Wii. The Wii and even the DS strays off in controls of the PS3 and XBox360.

4. You said that you don't care if the physics are different, its that the attacks look the same. If so, are you saying that its okay for two, or even more characters all have different movesets but the same physics? I highly doubt it. if the physics are different, the attacks are different, no matter how the look.

5. Further separating Link and TLink, speed, weight, lag time, attacking range, boomerang mechanics, jumping height, and other things are different between links. The only things I see that are similar could be:

1. FS Animation. Okay I admit, they are exactly the same. But the thing is, if you were stuck in a Triforce Slash, you're pretty much dead unless its a large arena. Lets take a few other characters such as CFalco and Zelda/Sheik. They ALL require aim, and without it, it fails. Meaning, they all look different, but they have the same effect, and that is, your dead.

2. Fashion. Unless they are planning to make SSBB barbie doll lines, doesn't matter.

3. Bomb/Arrows. If this is the reason they are the same, please direct this debate to the Wolf/Fox/Falco also with the lasers.

Feel free to list more differences.
1. They aren't making the games for the hell of it.
2. The last time I checked, there could be an infinite number of Links and Zeldas--it depends on how many games Nintendo decides to make. In that respect, one Link is the same to them as another. They throw in a "many years ago there was an ancient hero," just to make you think that it might all be interconnected, but the support for these different timelines or whatever is hardly sufficient to say that any of these games are incontrovertibly connected. There is a lot of BS logic involved as well. People create that crap just to try and feel like there is some sense of order and method to the games, but there isn't. Why the hell do we keep discovering new breeds of Pokemon when a few years previously there were only 150 known species? Since when did Mario characters hold a star festival? Were there ever any other bounty hunters before Metroid Prime? Nintendo does care about these series--just not about how they piece together. And, yes, I already know that FD/Masks/Young Link were all lieterally the same person, but then why was Young Link in Melee if he really was just Link seven years earlier?
How do you know that these aren't all the same Link? It's a freakin' legend--says so in the title. Legends are twisted tales of possibly once real people, but just because you have Moses living at impossibly different times doesn't mean you say there had to be two Moses. Or that the Argonauts had a boatload of people who never existed in the same time period. You assume that the story got mixed up in history. Or was made up altogether. I'd say it is far more likely that--in the Hylian world--these are all just tales of the same Link, told and retold beyond all recognizable chronology. No one cares that they have anachronistic issues between them, just as long as they all tell of how freakin' badass the legendary hero Link is.
And that is why, in essence--which is really the only moderately concrete thing you can use to compare Links--Toon Link is the same person as Link. Seeing as Toon Link has a potato for a head, I'd prefer Link.

3. I actually bought Wind Waker. And quickly realized what a pain in the *** it was to sail that **** boat. And even if you warped, the traveling took FOREVER. I gave up at the part where you have to collect the triforce pieces. No way in hell I am spending god knows how long solving those ******** puzzles in the cabana. That should have been a side quest, not a mandatory excursion. Top it off with ugly characters, few dungeons, a stupid repeat bosses marathon plus a billion shadow ganons, and a surprising lack of Zoras, Gorons, and Gerudos (though admittedly the Rito weren't that bad), and you have officially the worst Zelda game in Nintendo history. There was no plot, there were no good characters, and Tingle continued to hinder your progress as if Majora's Mask just wasn't enough maliciousness for him.Even the creators admit that the sales weren't very high. Cool looking smoke and a catchy Dragoon Roost Island theme don't make up for the fact that the game completely sucked.

4. Yes, I wouldn't mind similar physics. Physics are inherently going to be less various than movesets. Toon Link had some potential to be less lame than he actually is, but apparently Sakurai and Co. were perfectly fine with leaving him a clone. A very lame clone at that.

5. So you're basically condoning the triple Fox clone/Landmaster issue? Just like with SF, they tried to make the same **** moves feel a little different. They sort of succeeded. But Falco and Wolf had a lot more potential than just ripoffs of Fox's moveset. It doesn't take that much ingenuity to create a new moveset for a deserving character. As I pointed out above, Toon Link is not a deserving character. Hence, he didn't need the ingenuity wasted on him. "LOOK AT ME, I CAN RIDE A LEAF!!!!" *gets blown up by Link's bomb."

That line kind of killed your credibility. Dedede borders on overpowered.

Fawriel said:
As for the Toon Link hate... I'd like everyone who hates him for being "undeserving" to read this thread I made a long time ago before his appearance was made public: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120106
I won't expect anyone to change their minds, but it would at least be nice of you to consider the other side of the argument.
I read that ages ago. You failed then, you fail now. If Toon Link represents the softer side of Zelda, the part for little children to frolick amidst their lollipops and rainbows, then why the hell do you want him in Brawl? So we can beat the crap out of him? Toon Link just isn't violent enough, it's laughable, really. Jiggs and Ice Climbers can be menacing at times when they aren't cute as hell, but...Toon Link? It's impossible to take it seriously. He must only be there to be my punching bag.

And concerning DeDeDe--yes, he is very overpowered. And has excellent recovery. But he is so slow that people will easily get hits in before and after the lag in his attacks, he is so big that people don't even have to aim to get in those hits, and he is relatively light so that even his massive recovery often can't save him from death. In short, D3 is the new Bowser. Get used to it.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Wow Mikau. As much as I didn't like Wind Waker myself, it wasn't THAT bad. Just had some things that made it uninteresting (the boat thing mainly). Also corey, I think you meant 2007. :lick:

Back to topic: Pit. I hate most of his B moves and he's the only character that has 2 reflecting moves (not including power shielding). Cheapness at it's finest.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I hate fighting Ness. For some reason half the time I run into his whole PK Thunder thing when he hits himself with it. Though I think I'm starting to remedy that.

Oh, and I also hate Falco. He's still broken, though when I'm using Zelda I think I have him pretty weel on level.

NeoJames

Smash Cadet
@ Anyone dissing Windwaker...or (Toon) Link in general...

First of all...the "Kid" Link came long before long the "Adult" link. And even when the Adult version came...he's only in two games, so he's a very minor version of Link.

Also...Toon Link came in the Wind Waker game...where as Twilight (SP?) Princess Link came four years afterwords.

Also...WindWaker was an incredible game, unlike OOT, it really seemed you where far away from home, on an adventure. In WW I felt exited(SP?) when I went along with the pirates, redemtion when I fought the bird that kidnapped Link's sister, Triump when Link was deemed the Hero of the Wind.

Whew...all this fanboyish complaining has made me tired.

CriticalHit

Smash Rookie
I'd be putting my hating on game and watch, his stupid flame smash blocks attacks behind him, his hammers quick and powerful, and you can fill up his bucket (with team damage on) by his own teammate, same with lucas/ness recovery, that's just dumb, what was nintendo thinking?

Anyway on the topic of zelda, toon link is the most ridiculous character, of course by brawl tradition they had to make him good, it would be so unlike nintendo to actually make their most popular characters like link and mario kickass in a smash game.

OOT > windwaker > twilight

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Meh, I'm usually too focused on the whole "OhcrapohcrapohSNAPFOOTINYOURFACE" type thing to bother with the voices.

Unless it's sound 24 of Zelda, then I pay attention XD

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Nah... it's hard to describe, but needless to say, if Zelda was in something... raunchy, that sound would be in it.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
Though this has been said before, it bears repeating: why in the world do we have 3 space animals? 3 space animals that are hard to kill, have powerful and fast smashes, and have incredible movement at that?

Pit: only when people spam those arrows. If the arrows didn't stun I would have no problem with him.

Pikachu's down smash: utterly ridiculous that it can trap and outprioritize at any stage of its execution.

Wario: never spent the time to get good with him (like I did with Jiggs) so i don't really see the point when most of his moves are too weak and his fart has a deceptively small hit radius, even when fully charged.

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
i hate ganondorf.
#1 his appearance :in melee he looked strong.in brawl he looks fat.his hair combined with his eyebrows make it look like he has a hair helmet and his usmash makes me think he does it like that because his stomach wont let him stretch his leg further.

#2 i hate olimar and teh pikmin.he cant do much without his sexy pikmin and besides that he gets them killed?wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom