• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brave was a pretty cool movie

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Link to original post: [drupal=5267]Brave was a pretty cool movie[/drupal]

I really enjoyed it.

It took a lot of directions I wasn't expecting at all, and took a story I was thinking would be this linear story with a girl wanting to get out with freedom but took a surprising twist and made it into an adult message while staying kid friendly. Only real complaint is I thought it was a bit too short for what it could have expanded on, but overall, still solid for what it did.

Movie did blow my expectations pretty hard for what I walked into the theater to see.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Brave looked liked a good movie. I wanted to see it, but we didn't get the chance to see it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Brave disappointed me. The characters say they change at the end of the film, but we don't get to see much of their emotional journey. It all felt very emotionally shallow to me.

:phone:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does it matter what her sexuality is?

The correct answer to that is no, btw.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Saw the movie yesterday. I was very disappointed. There was very little that had to do with bravery at all. I was expecting some cool ****, like Mereda going in on some Mulan-type **** and kicking a bunch of ***. But what I got was bears, lots of bears. Good thing I saw the movie for free.

Anyways, if Mereda is supposed to be a lesbian, then Disney/Pixar would be horribly guilty of stereotyping lesbians. I don't think the message they intended was "herr derr look a lesbian protagonist doing all the things that lesbians do like climbing rocks and not being lady like. are you happy now gay community? we've perfectly portrayed one of your characters!"

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
When my dad said it reminded him of Brother Bear before I watched it, I was terribly confused, since I had seen the previews and didn't hear no such thing of bear related stuff in it.

Then plot happened and I was like "wut."

So uhm... Effectively the movie is a great idea with lots of fun characters but I agree with Zigsta in that it only forced itself upon the audience with it's wide turns. It didn't take Meridia (or w/e her name is) for much of a ride. If it was longer, I think it would have been better.

I did cry.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I agree with red. It's actually quite a simple plotline that they did quite well. It's not Game of Thrones where there was serious political stuff going on but who expects that from pixar/disney anyway? The reason Disney and Pixar are both seen very positively is because when they first came to the fore they inspired everyone. Inspired people to dream, to find love. When they went full on animated, however, they started following the same deal of getting a classic plotline and turning it straight on it's head. It was fine with Shrek and ice age and madagascar and even arguably some of their sequels but eventually people got sick and tired of the same formula.

But brave doesn't do that. Brave does twist it a little but in essence it is a story of a little girl who, in a spout of anger goes over the line. The consequences of her actions show her that her mother and her both love each other despite having such wildly different opinions on things that do impact upon their lives and through near-death experiences they realise they can overcome that. I don't find that too shallow, at least compared to some of the other animated things they have been putting out there and it was nice to see them staying in bounds while still being clever about it.

Although I forgot about hoodwinked. I liked Hoodwinked as well.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it, I saw it just a couple of hours ago haha.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I saw it, and I was very disappointed. It wasn't that funny, and the plot was a boring rehash of one of the most told stories there is.

It wasn't a bad movie, just shockingly mediocre, especially coming from the same people who made all three Toy Stories.

I do not really understand why Toy Story series is really good. I liked Brave over any of the Toy Story ones. Then again, I might be bias because of the themes. Following a bunch toys is sort of ehh.... Doesn't sit well with me.

I was let down as well that the film didn't go where I was expecting, but I found it enjoyable still. The woodcarver is the best character in the movie.

Top Bottom