• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Brave New World" - Distopia or Utopia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Budget_Player
So I just read "Brave New World" and I honestly don't see it as dystopic. It is quite seriously the pefect world. Everyone is happy, and the things such as scientific advancement, art, music, creativity, and personality are... well, not missed.

Why don't we use hypnopaedic messages? Why don't we create designer babies? Why don't we create a world where everyone is always happy; even those who are in abject poverty? What is wrong with deluding someone for their entire life, if all it does is make them happier (see also: The Matrix), and make society as a whole better? Is it even a delusion to tell the Epsilons that they would hate to be Alphas?

(Added bonus: sex! Lots and lots of sex!)

In short, why can you even begin to call the world described in "Brave New World" anything but a nigh-perfect utopia?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
It took away, as you said, "things such as scientific advancement, art, music, creativity, and personality". And they're only not missed because people are conditioned not to miss them.

Also, the freedom to be unhappy is important. People's negative emotions, as Aesir noted in the social thread, can lead them to do great things, especially in art and literature.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The second someone would be missed in the conditioning, they'd have the worst existence ever. There's no choice in the world, and even with a limited choice, it's still something.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Somehow I've never read this but I have seen Demolition Man, a highly underrated movie which makes several references to it, and is largely based on the same idea. George Lucas' THX1138 also comes to mind... if you have to engineer happiness, then it's not real happiness, at least that's the premise. In Demo Man we have Dennis Leary playing the leader of the "resistance" movement, living literally underneath the perfect society's city, in the sewers. He says:

...I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't know why I've never read that one. I probably should.

Anyway, my two cents, based on the philosophy alone.

The value of human life rests in the realization that death can come at any time. Human achievement is forged through bare knuckle survival. Often times, it's those who have starved who appreciate food the most. And it's usually the hungry ones who fight the hardest, who run the farthest, who achieve the most. Not because they want to, not because they have the genius or the talent, but because they have to, because they're fighting for survival.

We come from small hunter and gatherer tribes that lived on the brink of extinction every day of their lives. It's the pain of living that drives us on. Without it, we wouldn't have a reason.

NNID
Budget_Player
The second someone would be missed in the conditioning, they'd have the worst existence ever. There's no choice in the world, and even with a limited choice, it's still something.
If they missed the conditioning. IF. This is not going to happen very often or close to at all. I mean, in the novel we had:
Bernard, who was part of the class with the most options to choose from and, surprise surprise, happens to be deformed. Oh well, he got ****ed over.
His friend whose name I've forgotten, who associated himself too deeply with Bernard and the Savage, and indeed was part of the entertainment branch which will almost lean towards such revolution.
John Savage, who was a big fat mistake. If you have no conditioning, the world is going to suck, obviously. But he broke the social order. He was a square peg in a round hole. It's like if someone of our age went to live with a pigmy tribe in the amazon.

Also, it would hardly be as awful as you claim it to be, assuming they weren't Deltas or lower. If they were parts of the working class, then it would be awful for them, I know. But that's exactly the point of the conditioning. Compare the average Epsilon to, say, a lower-class guy in a lot of debt working 3 jobs just to survive with his family. It's a tall claim to make that the epsilon is better-off as a whole; but it's a ridiculous claim to say that the epsilon is less happy.[/quote]

It took away, as you said, "things such as scientific advancement, art, music, creativity, and personality". And they're only not missed because people are conditioned not to miss them.
So?

In today's world, we too are conditioned in various ways. We as a species have become used to the idea that art and music are good. Creativity and scientific advancement are good when we need them and they provide necessary solutions to problems we have. Personality and individuality are things that we put value on that aren't necessarily needed for our survival or happiness. Why do we need to be individuals to be happy? Why is that a higher good than happiness?

Also, the freedom to be unhappy is important. People's negative emotions, as Aesir noted in the social thread, can lead them to do great things, especially in art and literature.
Can. They can also murder out of jealousy and hatred. You can also create great literature when you're not depressed. But even then, literature and art aren't truly necessary to be happy.

I don't know why I've never read that one. I probably should.

Anyway, my two cents, based on the philosophy alone.

The value of human life rests in the realization that death can come at any time.
Really? We value our lives not because of all the wonders we can experience, but rather because it might end at any time? Seems fairly questionable to me.

Human achievement is forged through bare knuckle survival. Often times, it's those who have starved who appreciate food the most. And it's usually the hungry ones who fight the hardest, who run the farthest, who achieve the most. Not because they want to, not because they have the genius or the talent, but because they have to, because they're fighting for survival.
Yes, but this is achievement, which is not necessarily bound to happiness. To survival, sure, but in a BNW-style society, it's simply not necessary to achieve anything to be happy.

We come from small hunter and gatherer tribes that lived on the brink of extinction every day of their lives. It's the pain of living that drives us on. Without it, we wouldn't have a reason.
The joy of living, perhaps?

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Okay, I wrote an Essay about Brave New World. It's not addressed to this question, but I think it is relevant at least to some extent.

------------------------------------------------

In Aldous Huxley’s dystopian novel Brave New World, a number of concerns are raised on the Human Condition. Huxely’s novel provides a negative vision of the future, and in doing so, it raises concerns about our future society. These concerns are: the loss of the human condition, the hollow remedies to the questions raised by the human condition and the incompatibility of society and the human condition.

The human condition describes our emotions and feelings associated with our existence. It is a unique condition to humans, because we seem to be the only species on Earth that examines our own mortality, imagines the future, remembers the past, and is aware of the passage of time. This awareness of our own mortality, and the passage of time brings with it a number of questions such as, Why do we exist? What is the meaning of life? What happens when we die? These questions concern life beyond immediate and future survival, and our struggle to answer them and our ability to ask them is the human condition.

Huxley raised the major concern in his novel Brave New World, that despite being human, we would in a sense lose the human condition in the society of the future. This would be primarily due to our inability or lack of want to question life and its purpose. This is evident in a number of parts of Huxley’s novel. Conditioning and hypnopædia (sleep-learning), have made humanity a collective, constantly in contact with one another, thus removing the time one has to himself to think of about life, and its purpose. Additionally, the caste system in the novel prevents a large portion of the population actually thinking deeply about any issue, let alone the human condition. This is done by starving the lower caste embryos of oxygen and damaging them with alcohol. Furthermore, the drug soma and the other aspects of the society in Brave New World, provide humanity with constant happiness and conformity, this in a sense removes the need for such questions, as when one is happy and conforming to society, one doesn’t ask questions about one’s purpose and existence.

Another concern raised by Huxley is the hollow remedies to the questions raised by the human condition. This is primarily where the state or the ruling party attempts to satisfy or remove the human condition by positing hollow remedies to the questions raised. This is done to enforce conformity in society. This concern is evident in various aspects of Brave New World. A good example of this is death conditioning, to remove the fear of death in people’s minds. This prevents the need for questioning of what happens after death because one of the main reasons that one asks what happens after we die, is that we are afraid of our impending mortality.

The last major concern raised in Huxley’s novel is that society and the human condition will become incompatible; where the societies of the future will have changed so much that they are mostly incapable of understanding the human condition, and those that do, don’t want to have the human condition present in their society. This is evident in Huxley’s novel as the dystopian society described pays no attention to the human condition, art, poetry, freedom, beauty, truth and goodness. John the Savage, a normal man in comparison to the rest of the society, eventually finds this disgusting and horrid. This is most easily expressed in the words of John the Savage:

“But the new ones are so stupid and horrible. Those plays where there’s nothing but helicopters flying about and you feel the people kissing.” He made a grimace. “Goats and monkeys!” Only in Othello’s words could he find an adequate vehicle for his contempt and hatred.”

John eventually tries to escape society, and run away. For a short time he succeeds, but eventually, he is found by members of the public who laugh at his attempts to escape from a society that he finds abhorrent. This leads him to commit suicide - a great example of the incompatibility present. In fact, this incompatibility between Huxley’s society and the human condition is stated by the world controller, Mustapha Mond, who says that religion is incompatible with Huxley’s dystopian society. He says:

“God isn’t compatible with machinery and scientific medicine and universal happiness. You must make your choice. Our civilization has chosen machinery and medicine and happiness.”

The significance of this quote, is that religion attempts to answer the questions concerning life and its purpose, and Mond has just stated that such attempts to answer such questions are incompatible with his society.

Huxley has raised a number of concerns to do with the human condition in his novel Brave New World. Huxley has put forward such concerns through the use of allegory, his dystopian society, representing human society of the future. This novel appears to successful in voicing such concerns, becoming one of the bestselling novels of the 20th century. Furthermore, it is considered as one of Huxley’s better works of dystopian fiction. However, it appears that though such concerns have been heard, nothing has been done to prevent them from being realized at least in Huxley’s eyes, because in the essay, Brave New World Revisited he concludes that the world is becoming more like his fictional dystopia faster than he predicted.

Basically, the reason it's considered dsytopic is that almost everybody in the World State behaves like robots. They're no longer human. They're prisoners to their pleasures, and trying to be human probably isn't going to happen, and if even if it does, makes you incompatible with the rest of society. The World State then tries to negate our desires to question our existence; to be human, but it doesn't attempt to answer these questions, it just tries to remove those desires.

Another issue I have with the World State, is that the system is static. It can't go anywhere, there are no advancements, and nobody apart from the few people at the top can take any initiative. This means that in the event that society were to experience some form of disaster that killed these people, the masses wouldn't be able to deal with this. However, it isn't the main reason I find the concept of the World State sickening.

Just a note on the issue: I'm not sure whether the World State is a utopia or a dystopia. But I understand why people would consider it a dystopia, and why it would be considered a utopia.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Why don't we use hypnopaedic messages?
It's been tried, but it's terribly inefficient. You can only actually "learn" (that is, remember something presented) during alpha wave stimulation, which only occurs during a waking state, or extremely close to coming out of a sleeping state. You'd basically have to force the person artificially to remain in a barely-awake state. It'd be easier just to learn the traditional way. Besides if you did that, you'd not be getting the proper rest a person requires during sleep, so you still have to add in sleep time. You'd be spending most of your life in bed, lol.

Why don't we create designer babies?
This was a good PG topic, actually, but there's several reasons:

-Permanent vs transient modification (aka germ-line vs somatic cell modification) - the topic as presented by Ryan Ludovic is obviously about germ-line modification, ie modifying unborn children before they are born. But on the other end of the spectrum is temporary modification; gene therapy, things like that. Is one better than the other?
Germline gene modification is definitely not a good idea for several reasons: source

...germ cell modification may produce effects that were not predicted, and may not reveal themselves until the child is grown, or in future generations. Germ cell modification not only influence the single offspring, but create unique DNA that will persist into subsequent generations. Prenatal diagnosis permits specific pregnancies to be evaluated for genetic fitness. Manipulation of germ-cell DNA is unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

It's too unpredictable, and could lead to damaged offspring or worse larger scale deterioration of the human gene pool which could ultimately lead to our extinction (though that's really far fetched in comparison, it's technically a possibility). At least w/somatic techniques (homologous recombination, Spindle transfer, etc.) any risk is to that one person.

-Prevention vs Enhancement - A lot of people don't have as much of a problem with modifying unborn children to prevent genetic, crippling diseases. What about enhancement? Longer lifespans, bigger muscles, smarter brains, etc. Should there be a line drawn somewhere? Is it okay to do both, or is prevention more acceptable than enhancement?
The prevention of genetic disease would be amazing, though in the short term may put a lot of folks out of work, in the long term would lead to a strengthening of the human gene pool. Here's a LONG list of disorders. If we were to eliminate all these abnormalities, we would definitely be "healthier" as a species.

The flip to this is that Humanity often requires limitation to be overcome... that struggle is what we find so compelling in life, and what gives birth to creativity and ingenuity. By eliminating say, color blindness, we eliminate the possibility for someone to be born that way, to see the world as uniquely as they, and anything they may contribute to the world as a result.

Well, ok. Honestly and for the sake of our survival, I am willing to sacrifice one or two artsy poems on how one person's black is an others green. Not to be insensitive, but... you have to be an artist to think that way in the first place, and there will be PLENTY of struggle, angst, and whatnot to satisfy the needs of a minority. The rest of humanity would like to stop seeing half-man half-machines drooling on themselves.

So much for the Special Olympics, tho... ah well.

-The idea of "designer babies"
... disgusts me. If you can't make it naturally, it wasn't meant to exist. Not until we've come a LOT further with technology and our understanding thereof can we consider ourselves mature enough in this regard to even THINK about making our babies from scratch as opposed to the old-fashioned way (by letting nature take its course). This is NOT related to disease prevention, btw, at least not to me. This is about making the eyes blue, the hair blond... its bordering on eugenics, and that is fundamentally and for lack of a better word... evil.

-Access to the new technologies (ie, rich vs poor)
As gene therapy becomes more useful, and tried and true, so too will the cost of such treatments reduce. source

In this article we see that 3 people injected w/a virus carrying "good" genes were able to produce the necessary protein compounds they were born deficient of. Now if we go w/the above, we could possibly eliminate the problem from the get-go. But, it may not be this simple. Depending on how the research goes, screening and treatment of the unborn may actually still be far more costly than after-the-fact. With this article we see the potential for a simple battery of injections that result in a total cure of the disease. If caught early enough in a person's life, this could help prevent long term ailments, such as organ failure. And the cost need not necessarily be huge. Walgreens charges 25 bucks or so for a flu shot. I see this being the same for gene-therapy shots, once the process is mastered (note: many Flu vaccines are still experimental).

-The possible morally reprehensible consequences of withholding this kind of technology (ie, if we can make better firefighters or doctors, isn't it wrong not to?)

-The ethics of how it might affect human agency; in other words, choosing things for children before they're born
I can lump these together though this is a highly subjective area to debate. The problem with making super-cops or super-soldiers or super-anything is that you are transforming the person into a higher being. An enhanced being. It's unfair to everyone else that's not enhanced, and it leads to a separation at a fundamental level that we cannot yet even quantify, except in theory or in historical context. Turning men into Gods in other words... purposefully... creating people who could theoretically develop so-called "God" complexes.

I mean sure, you take a ... firefighter, and genetically enhance him so he can carry more, withstand heat better, etc etc. But isn't it possible that these supermen could find themselves outcasts... "freaks" ... or worse, maybe the try to take control! It's a slippery slope I'd rather not traverse. Too scary.

As for doing it to people before their even born? Eh, yeah no. Same evil as making designer babies. Almost the same as the evil in abortion that is perceived by pro-lifers (not my stance, btw.) It may seem an obvious choice. "What, you DON'T wanna have x-ray vision???" But to assume that's what we want, is to assume you're God, once again, and that's just bad. You don't even have to believe in God really, just the idea that our biology is predetermined by our genes and DNA, and that this predetermination was created in Nature. True, Humans, as a result of Nature (evolution), are self-determining. However, we cannot afford ourselves the luxury of assuming we know what's best for us at the genetic level. We can fix problems we perceive, sure... but to change our very nature, our humanity, into something Extra-human, is dangerous, and foolhardy, and can almost only end badly.
Why don't we create a world where everyone is always happy; even those who are in abject poverty?
Firstly Happy and Content aren't the same thing. The world that is describe seems to me one of pure contentment. Which is actually what I personally strive for, but never achieve, lol. To be content is to want for nothing. But because life is unfair, I will always "need" something out of it. But rather than complain about it, I just do my best to make it through the day.

To be Happy at all times, I think would cause a heart attack, or something else medically bad. Happy as an emotion tends to indicate elevated levels of certain chemicals in the brain which are not necessarily a good thing to have ALL the time, you need to "come down" from the high of being happy or you will probably stroke out, lol. Besides, happy is a relative condition. If you're always happy, then each passing moment means you're as happy as the last, and yet your resistance is building also, so you have to escalate this sensation to a progressively higher amount. Since things can't possible keep getting "better" because they're already "perfect" it stands to reason that the happiness increase necessary couldn't occur, heck even after a day of being happy all day long. This screams paradox at any rate.

What is wrong with deluding someone for their entire life, if all it does is make them happier (see also: The Matrix), and make society as a whole better?
Nothing, actually. There's plenty of delusional people in the world. People who delude themselves into thinking they're "special" or "loved" or "liked" or "insert_whatever" ... that's life. Humans are intellectual creatures, it's not a surprise we use our imaginations to ingratiate ourselves.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So?

In today's world, we too are conditioned in various ways. We as a species have become used to the idea that art and music are good. Creativity and scientific advancement are good when we need them and they provide necessary solutions to problems we have. Personality and individuality are things that we put value on that aren't necessarily needed for our survival or happiness. Why do we need to be individuals to be happy? Why is that a higher good than happiness?
Well, we're conditioned, but not brainwashed. We still have much more choice than we would in Huxley's world. And saying creativity and scientific advancement aren't necessary to survival isn't valid, because many things in Huxley's world aren't necessary to survive or be happy. For example, the savage reserves. Or lights. Or homes. Or clothes. Or 99% of the food and drink they consume. Or almost anything. Almost anything could be conditioned to be hated by humans, but they are kept in the world anyway. Why?

Can. They can also murder out of jealousy and hatred.
Good point. But I still don't think that's a reason to take away someone's right to make virtually any choices.

You can also create great literature when you're not depressed.
True, but you lose any literature with negative/ominous themes. You lose Silent Spring. You lose Dante's Inferno. And more. But, of course, you're barely allowed to write any literary works at all in the new society, so that's yet another freedom robbed of humans.

But even then, literature and art aren't truly necessary to be happy.
Nor are 99.999% of the things in the new world.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Really? We value our lives not because of all the wonders we can experience, but rather because it might end at any time? Seems fairly questionable to me.
If you've never suffocated, you'll never know the worth of air, of breathing.

The joy of living, perhaps?
What is that, exactly?

The last major concern raised in Huxley’s novel is that society and the human condition will become incompatible; where the societies of the future will have changed so much that they are mostly incapable of understanding the human condition
I need to read this god**** book.

He and I were thinking something similar.

NNID
Budget_Player
Okay, I wrote an Essay about Brave New World. It's not addressed to this question, but I think it is relevant at least to some extent.

In Aldous Huxley’s dystopian novel Brave New World, a number of concerns are raised on the Human Condition. Huxely’s novel provides a negative vision of the future, and in doing so, it raises concerns about our future society. These concerns are: the loss of the human condition, the hollow remedies to the questions raised by the human condition and the incompatibility of society and the human condition.

The human condition describes our emotions and feelings associated with our existence. It is a unique condition to humans, because we seem to be the only species on Earth that examines our own mortality, imagines the future, remembers the past, and is aware of the passage of time. This awareness of our own mortality, and the passage of time brings with it a number of questions such as, Why do we exist? What is the meaning of life? What happens when we die? These questions concern life beyond immediate and future survival, and our struggle to answer them and our ability to ask them is the human condition.

Huxley raised the major concern in his novel Brave New World, that despite being human, we would in a sense lose the human condition in the society of the future. This would be primarily due to our inability or lack of want to question life and its purpose.
I somehow fail to see why this is such a drastically bad thing. Why is so much knowledge a good thing when not only the lack of it doesn't degrade the lives of others (as is the case today with things like dogmatic belief in god-this one was even specifically pointed out in the novel with John's rejection of Lenina and other examples) but the knowledge itself makes us unhappy? It seems foolish to assume these things as objective goods that we as humans need to be happy, or indeed to assume that they will always help us be happy.

This is evident in a number of parts of Huxley’s novel. Conditioning and hypnopædia (sleep-learning), have made humanity a collective, constantly in contact with one another, thus removing the time one has to himself to think of about life, and its purpose. Additionally, the caste system in the novel prevents a large portion of the population actually thinking deeply about any issue, let alone the human condition. This is done by starving the lower caste embryos of oxygen and damaging them with alcohol. Furthermore, the drug soma and the other aspects of the society in Brave New World, provide humanity with constant happiness and conformity, this in a sense removes the need for such questions, as when one is happy and conforming to society, one doesn’t ask questions about one’s purpose and existence.
And this is a good thing! The fact that, when you're happy, you don't think about this **** is a good indication that thinking about these things drags us down. Plus, what's more depressing than knowing that you're going to die alone? Or knowing that things are going to become worse for you? From my experience, these existential questions that you claim are the human nature doe nothing but depress. And in such a case... Why suffer through it?

Another concern raised by Huxley is the hollow remedies to the questions raised by the human condition. This is primarily where the state or the ruling party attempts to satisfy or remove the human condition by positing hollow remedies to the questions raised. This is done to enforce conformity in society. This concern is evident in various aspects of Brave New World. A good example of this is death conditioning, to remove the fear of death in people’s minds. This prevents the need for questioning of what happens after death because one of the main reasons that one asks what happens after we die, is that we are afraid of our impending mortality.
I'm missing the point here... Death conditioning is not a hollow remedy to the question, it's a real solution to the problem, as good as any other. It's saying "We know we die, and we don't care about it any more, it's part of the natural cycle of life and we get recycled". Hollow remedies? Soma may be a hollow remedy for unhappiness, but to claim that the overarching societal setup that almost completely prevents unhappiness is a hollow remedy... yeah, perhaps to the insane and manically depressed.

The last major concern raised in Huxley’s novel is that society and the human condition will become incompatible; where the societies of the future will have changed so much that they are mostly incapable of understanding the human condition, and those that do, don’t want to have the human condition present in their society. This is evident in Huxley’s novel as the dystopian society described pays no attention to the human condition, art, poetry, freedom, beauty, truth and goodness.
...All things we place value on that are not necessarily valuable in and of themselves. I don't buy into this "human condition". We have a human condition, but it's been created through our own reaction to the world around us. We value these things because our world has evolved to reward them.

John the Savage, a normal man in comparison to the rest of the society, eventually finds this disgusting and horrid. This is most easily expressed in the words of John the Savage:

“But the new ones are so stupid and horrible. Those plays where there’s nothing but helicopters flying about and you feel the people kissing.” He made a grimace. “Goats and monkeys!” Only in Othello’s words could he find an adequate vehicle for his contempt and hatred.”
We find various fashion statements of the 80s abhorrent as well, don't we. Various people holding to the "old" theater can't stand how CGI, Violence, and mindless plotlines are gobbled up by unsophisticated people (2012, The Expendables, etc.). We/John find that society despicable because we aren't a part of it, can't adapt to its morality (Much like we find the dark ages and inquisition despicable, or the pedophilic ways of greek philosophers, or the coliseum games and slavery in rome, or any number of other things gross).

John eventually tries to escape society, and run away. For a short time he succeeds, but eventually, he is found by members of the public who laugh at his attempts to escape from a society that he finds abhorrent. This leads him to commit suicide - a great example of the incompatibility present.
Yes, of course he won't be accepted! People keep citing things like "you wouldn't fit in there" or "Look at John!". Err... newsflash. John was not born into the system. He does not understand the system. He is a complete stranger. It's like dropping a monk from the 12th century into Amsterdam's red-light district and expecting them to deal with it! Their morality is so ridiculously different from the people of the modern age, and their technology so different, that they will hardly even begin to adapt.

In fact, this incompatibility between Huxley’s society and the human condition is stated by the world controller, Mustapha Mond, who says that religion is incompatible with Huxley’s dystopian society. He says:

“God isn’t compatible with machinery and scientific medicine and universal happiness. You must make your choice. Our civilization has chosen machinery and medicine and happiness.”
And now you're necessitating religion within the human condition? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this is fairly ridiculous. And then you necessitate human condition, which necessitates religion by association... I'm going to guess you meant something else.

The significance of this quote, is that religion attempts to answer the questions concerning life and its purpose, and Mond has just stated that such attempts to answer such questions are incompatible with his society.
Oh. Whoops. Should've read down. And what's wrong with this?

Huxley has raised a number of concerns to do with the human condition in his novel Brave New World. Huxley has put forward such concerns through the use of allegory, his dystopian society, representing human society of the future. This novel appears to successful in voicing such concerns, becoming one of the bestselling novels of the 20th century. Furthermore, it is considered as one of Huxley’s better works of dystopian fiction. However, it appears that though such concerns have been heard, nothing has been done to prevent them from being realized at least in Huxley’s eyes, because in the essay, Brave New World Revisited he concludes that the world is becoming more like his fictional dystopia faster than he predicted.
Good! The human condition as you describe it is completely unnecessary to happiness, and, as a matter of fact, seems to hinder ones own happiness far more than help it.

Basically, the reason it's considered dsytopic is that almost everybody in the World State behaves like robots. They're no longer human. They're prisoners to their pleasures, and trying to be human probably isn't going to happen, and if even if it does, makes you incompatible with the rest of society. The World State then tries to negate our desires to question our existence; to be human, but it doesn't attempt to answer these questions, it just tries to remove those desires.
They're no longer humans? Even if they do behave like robots, if that makes 'em happy, why stop it? Questioning ones existence doesn't necessarily mean you're human, it just means you're not entirely content with your existence.

Another issue I have with the World State, is that the system is static. It can't go anywhere, there are no advancements, and nobody apart from the few people at the top can take any initiative. This means that in the event that society were to experience some form of disaster that killed these people, the masses wouldn't be able to deal with this. However, it isn't the main reason I find the concept of the World State sickening.

Just a note on the issue: I'm not sure whether the World State is a utopia or a dystopia. But I understand why people would consider it a dystopia, and why it would be considered a utopia.
Of course it would be able to. Scientific advancement may have stymied, but obviously there will be fail-safes in place. You think they wouldn't plan for something like that? Seems like a silly reason to hate things.

It's been tried, but it's terribly inefficient. You can only actually "learn" (that is, remember something presented) during alpha wave stimulation, which only occurs during a waking state, or extremely close to coming out of a sleeping state. You'd basically have to force the person artificially to remain in a barely-awake state. It'd be easier just to learn the traditional way. Besides if you did that, you'd not be getting the proper rest a person requires during sleep, so you still have to add in sleep time. You'd be spending most of your life in bed, lol.
Fair enough. Sucks.

This was a good PG topic, actually, but there's several reasons:
Saw the topic. There's a lot in there I disagree with but we'll save that for another day, this is already a big fat post.

Firstly Happy and Content aren't the same thing. The world that is describe seems to me one of pure contentment. Which is actually what I personally strive for, but never achieve, lol. To be content is to want for nothing. But because life is unfair, I will always "need" something out of it. But rather than complain about it, I just do my best to make it through the day.
I don't understand. Isn't there an inexorable link between absolutely contentment and happiness? Can't you assume that?

To be Happy at all times, I think would cause a heart attack, or something else medically bad. Happy as an emotion tends to indicate elevated levels of certain chemicals in the brain which are not necessarily a good thing to have ALL the time, you need to "come down" from the high of being happy or you will probably stroke out, lol. Besides, happy is a relative condition. If you're always happy, then each passing moment means you're as happy as the last, and yet your resistance is building also, so you have to escalate this sensation to a progressively higher amount. Since things can't possible keep getting "better" because they're already "perfect" it stands to reason that the happiness increase necessary couldn't occur, heck even after a day of being happy all day long. This screams paradox at any rate.
This is a good argument, point for succumbio. But why don't we of the 21st century have this problem? Because we're sad every once in a while? That's what VPS (where you are subjected to pure passion, emotion, anger, sadness, etc. as a kind of therapy to shake it out of your system) or whatever it was called was for-to get this overload out, to make the happiness relatively wonderful again. At least, I'd imagine.

Nothing, actually. There's plenty of delusional people in the world. People who delude themselves into thinking they're "special" or "loved" or "liked" or "insert_whatever" ... that's life. Humans are intellectual creatures, it's not a surprise we use our imaginations to ingratiate ourselves.
There ya go.

Well, we're conditioned, but not brainwashed. We still have much more choice than we would in Huxley's world. And saying creativity and scientific advancement aren't necessary to survival isn't valid, because many things in Huxley's world aren't necessary to survive or be happy. For example, the savage reserves. Or lights. Or homes. Or clothes. Or 99% of the food and drink they consume. Or almost anything. Almost anything could be conditioned to be hated by humans, but they are kept in the world anyway. Why?
They aren't necessary, but they make being happy easier, and they do not in any shape or form threaten said happiness. Whereas creativity and scientific advancement, should they point in the wrong direction, can and will threaten said happiness. Creativity isn't necessarily bad, but only if you use it in the wrong way. All these extra fringes are there for whatever reason, but there's no reason to remove them.

Good point. But I still don't think that's a reason to take away someone's right to make virtually any choices.
You're right 'bout that. The reason for that is that they're simply happier that way. If a human is better off and happier when you remove their choices, then why not do it? (Not to be confused with a situation like in "The Reader" where removing the person's choice would put them in a better position, but not make them more happy.)

True, but you lose any literature with negative/ominous themes. You lose Silent Spring. You lose Dante's Inferno. And more. But, of course, you're barely allowed to write any literary works at all in the new society, so that's yet another freedom robbed of humans.
I still wonder to myself "So what?" You have all of this depressive literature charged with social conflict... which you trade away in order not to have social conflict and not to be unhappy.

If you've never suffocated, you'll never know the worth of air, of breathing.
If you've never used a mathematical problem to save your life, you'll never know the worth of math. This is bogus-you can very well understand how valuable oxygen is to us without almost dying, just open up a biology textbook or hold your breath for a few minutes.

What is that, exactly?
Whatever makes you happy in the world. Or rather, your own happiness. That's reason to live. You don't need death hanging over your shoulder to appreciate that there is wonder in the world or to feel content or happy about yourself and other things.

EDIT: Also, it is a REALLY good book.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
It's a good book. I didn't really enjoy the narrative, but the issues raised are very interesting.
My thoughts exactly.

They aren't necessary, but they make being happy easier, and they do not in any shape or form threaten said happiness. Whereas creativity and scientific advancement, should they point in the wrong direction, can and will threaten said happiness. Creativity isn't necessarily bad, but only if you use it in the wrong way. All these extra fringes are there for whatever reason, but there's no reason to remove them.
Ah I see. So they're included because they don't threaten happiness. Interesting.

1) A lot of art wouldn't threaten happiness. Maybe some would, but I don't see why they had to ban virtually all of it.

2) Couldn't people be programmed to not over-think literature and media? They could have kept it but just programmed people to not get emotional about it. Also, if they read some Shakespeare and were thinking too much about it, they could always just get doped up on SOMA. That's what they usually do when they're in a bad mood.

3) I would argue that the savage reserve is more risky to the happiness of people that Shakespeare's literature or Michaelangelo's art. Going to the savage land can not only open civilized people to new perspectives, they also see lots of suffering and barbaric practices. The effects of this crude society can be seen on Lenina. Why was this kept?

4) Still, as much as all of this happiness sounds nice, I still have the feeling that taking away a human's rights to make art, write books, and feel love is wrong. I don't think every human should be inherently born without rights. People should perhaps be born with a choice: give up rights to always feel happy, or keep the rights but risk unhappiness. Perhaps the world should be divided in two? The only problem, of course, would be that the "free but unstable" area could affect the stability of the other area.

You're right 'bout that. The reason for that is that they're simply happier that way. If a human is better off and happier when you remove their choices, then why not do it? (Not to be confused with a situation like in "The Reader" where removing the person's choice would put them in a better position, but not make them more happy.)
Refer to point 4 above.

I still wonder to myself "So what?" You have all of this depressive literature charged with social conflict... which you trade away in order not to have social conflict and not to be unhappy.
Not necessarily. Many books critical of society have great benefits to society. Like Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. That book would never have been made had we been in Huxley's world. Just an example.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
I somehow fail to see why this is such a drastically bad thing. Why is so much knowledge a good thing when not only the lack of it doesn't degrade the lives of others (as is the case today with things like dogmatic belief in god-this one was even specifically pointed out in the novel with John's rejection of Lenina and other examples) but the knowledge itself makes us unhappy? It seems foolish to assume these things as objective goods that we as humans need to be happy, or indeed to assume that they will always help us be happy.
Those are not objective goods that we need to be happy. They're traits humans as we know them display. Without these traits, they aren't really human any more.

And this is a good thing! The fact that, when you're happy, you don't think about this **** is a good indication that thinking about these things drags us down. Plus, what's more depressing than knowing that you're going to die alone? Or knowing that things are going to become worse for you? From my experience, these existential questions that you claim are the human nature doe nothing but depress. And in such a case... Why suffer through it?
Yes, but it just means that the happy people aren't human any more. They're either incapable of being human, or just don't want to. Furthermore, questions like "why do I exist?" and "what is the meaning of life?" are not depressing questions. You can be happy and try to answer those questions. The struggle to answer these questions is what makes us human. Without this struggle, that is unique to humanity, we lose possibly what is the only thing that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

I'm missing the point here... Death conditioning is not a hollow remedy to the question, it's a real solution to the problem, as good as any other. It's saying "We know we die, and we don't care about it any more, it's part of the natural cycle of life and we get recycled". Hollow remedies? Soma may be a hollow remedy for unhappiness, but to claim that the overarching societal setup that almost completely prevents unhappiness is a hollow remedy... yeah, perhaps to the insane and manically depressed.
Well, the idea is that we stop questioning our own existence. By removing the whole "death is important" idea, we stop thinking about our existence. Easy come, easy go, I suppose. But when it's like that, it looses its significance. There is no need to wonder what it's like to die, whether anything is after death, etc. It is a kind of inoculation against worrying about death, and consequently being curious about it.

The Soma is kind of irrelevant to this point. The point I'm trying to express is, that the World State is trying to rob us of our humanity. It tries to remove our curiosity, and our struggle to answer questions of our own existence. In many cases it's completely successful, Epsilons can't think.

...All things we place value on that are not necessarily valuable in and of themselves. I don't buy into this "human condition". We have a human condition, but it's been created through our own reaction to the world around us. We value these things because our world has evolved to reward them.
Okay, that is true. But, what really separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom is our self-awareness. This leads to the questioning of our own existence. If we lose this, we are no longer human. Would you consider Epsilons to be human? They're almost mindless automatons.

We find various fashion statements of the 80s abhorrent as well, don't we. Various people holding to the "old" theater can't stand how CGI, Violence, and mindless plotlines are gobbled up by unsophisticated people (2012, The Expendables, etc.). We/John find that society despicable because we aren't a part of it, can't adapt to its morality (Much like we find the dark ages and inquisition despicable, or the pedophilic ways of greek philosophers, or the coliseum games and slavery in rome, or any number of other things gross).
This is different. John the Savage is a human. The majority of society isn't. They are incompatible. He struggles to answer these questions, but no-one else does. His religion is his struggle. The rest of society thinks that he's an oddity, but all this really shows, is that society has become so strange, that near normal people are considered oddities.

Yes, of course he won't be accepted! People keep citing things like "you wouldn't fit in there" or "Look at John!". Err... newsflash. John was not born into the system. He does not understand the system. He is a complete stranger. It's like dropping a monk from the 12th century into Amsterdam's red-light district and expecting them to deal with it! Their morality is so ridiculously different from the people of the modern age, and their technology so different, that they will hardly even begin to adapt.
See above.

And now you're necessitating religion within the human condition? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this is fairly ridiculous. And then you necessitate human condition, which necessitates religion by association... I'm going to guess you meant something else.
No, I'm just saying, religion is sometimes a symptom of the human condition. The questions about our own existence, are often answered (wrongly in my eyes) by religion. Religion is their struggle to answer the questions about our own existence.

Good! The human condition as you describe it is completely unnecessary to happiness, and, as a matter of fact, seems to hinder ones own happiness far more than help it.
I don't understand. You're saying that asking questions about your existence, and it's meaning are hindering one's happiness?

This isn't about happiness. It's about humanity. Our humanity. It's about what makes us human. Our genetics, or is it our self-awareness? Or is it both? If it is our self-awareness (whether or not in conjunction with genetics), our loss of self-awareness dehumanises us. Now, the significance of the questions on our own existence, is actually symptom of self-awareness. The loss of these symptoms, indicates a greater loss within, our own humanity.

They're no longer humans? Even if they do behave like robots, if that makes 'em happy, why stop it? Questioning ones existence doesn't necessarily mean you're human, it just means you're not entirely content with your existence.
See above. I understand about your point about robots. I just don't think it's right. As Krazy Glue says, these people deserve the right to choose. They deserve the right, to be unhappy, to ask questions, to think, to be human, if they so wish. This is the whole red pill - blue pill idea. You're meant to make this decision. Society shouldn't be making it for you.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't understand. Isn't there an inexorable link between absolutely contentment and happiness? Can't you assume that?
Perhaps. I tend to think of happiness as a specific portion of overall contentment, and contentment itself is an overall expression of emotion. One can, for instance, be moved emotionally to tears from watching a specific scene in a movie, and yet still be content for having watched it.

This is a good argument, point for succumbio. But why don't we of the 21st century have this problem? Because we're sad every once in a while? That's what VPS (where you are subjected to pure passion, emotion, anger, sadness, etc. as a kind of therapy to shake it out of your system) or whatever it was called was for-to get this overload out, to make the happiness relatively wonderful again. At least, I'd imagine.
Having not read the book is a problem for me because if I'd have known that then the point would have been moot. Ah well, lol. But yes, that -would- be a reason to use "VPS" as it'd counteract the effects of being continuously happy. This somehow reminds me of the recent Alice in Wonderland remake they did for SciFy (I think it was SciFy) where she went back (it's a "sequel") only to find the Queen kidnapping people from the real world to drain them of their emotions so they could later drink them like energy shots...

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't need death hanging over your shoulder to appreciate that there is wonder in the world or to feel content or happy about yourself and other things.
Evolutionarily speaking, that may not be true.

It's very likely that humanity's fear of death/love of life is an adaptation. Those who don't feel a strong urge to fight off death are more likely to die sooner, leaving behind fewer offspring. If this trait is heritable, then the genes of those who possess the instinct of self-preservation would proliferate more than the genes of those who don't. And even if the trait is a social or cultural artifact, it still acts on individuals because societies and cultures are also subject to natural selection.

Contentment can lead to stagnation. Those who are dissatisfied with their lives are more likely to strive to improve their circumstances. Absolute happiness and contentment works against progress. We only rise to work and kill and eat because of our hunger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom