• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Makeover for Smash!

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
I'm loving the new look. Looks more like his games and the face kick is kind of great. Fire Breath looks a bit less laggy too. And he isn't a car anymore when running.

What are you guys hoping to see moveset wise?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think there's a greater chance of Bowser getting a new Final Smash, since it would be a larger stretch for his cartoony self to become Giga Bowser, a more realistic character.

Koopa Clown Car for the win!

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
Since he now moves faster I don't really know what else to add. He already hits like a truck. I do know that the badass dropkick is now my favorite move ever of all time, and I haven't even gotten to use it yet.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Wow. He now can haul ass. Didn't know ole Bowser was a sprinter.

And boy does he use his legs. Looks like he has a Fox-esque running kick. A neutral Aerial body spin and is that a new Smash? A mighty dropkick!

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I think the dropkick is replacing his Fsmash, the one where he slams his face at people. I think he could still have Giga Bowser as a final smash, it'd just be a more colorful Giga Bowser to fit the new art style, sort of like how the Melee Giga Bowser looked.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
What I really want to see is Bowser finally getting his own stage and victory music.

It's not like Bowser's Castle is exactly lacking in material for stage gimmicks.

And having Mario's victory music when Bowser wins is just wrong.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
Instead of music, I think his trademark "Bwa Ha Ha Ha!" evil laugh echoing would fit nicely.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Instead of music, I think his trademark "Bwa Ha Ha Ha!" evil laugh echoing would fit nicely.
When I read this, I pictured the laugh he did in SM64 followed by the first few notes of his boss battle music, stylized of course.

I like this.

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
I liked Bowser hunched over better. His new stance look very unnatural to me. I do like his new run though. The dropkick is cool, but I'll miss his headbutt. Plus whatever attack that is where he spins in the air (I'm guessing it's his N+air) makes him seem way too acrobatic. He's supposed to be a slow lumbering brute. A little extra speed is fine, but at this point, I think they went overboard. I'm not ready to make this my final judgement yet though since I haven't played it or anything. Maybe I'll get used to it after a while. I just really like Bowser in Brawl (actually more like Project M ;)).

geno

Smash Apprentice
I liked Bowser hunched over better. His new stance look very unnatural to me. I do like his new run though.
I definitely agree with this. He seems less intimidating and more sweet and colorful, cartoony. As for the drop kick, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I guess it depends on what move it's replacing. Also, agree about the accrobatic Nair; not very Bowser-esque.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I just hope Bowser gets his own stage for once. Been wanting that since Melee. I mean, it's not like it wouldn't be an interesting stage. They could always go retro using the one in Super Mario Bros or throw some of those laser statues in SMB3.

Still, loving the DK-like improvements on Bowser so far and I really hope he sticks with the Giga Bowser transformation unless they come up with something far better than that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would kind of like a stage that's something like Paper Mario N64's final boss fight.
At least that'll give the series some representation even if they don't have a character. Also, Bowser stage is Bowser stage.

lami

Smash Journeyman
Of the veterans shown so far, I'm the most interersted in Bowser's speed increase. Bowser top tier 2014.

B!squick

Smash Master
Little things like the stance, non-gliding run, and N-Air I can get over. As long as I can play Bowser without feeling like I'm gimping myself, I'm sold.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Bowser may look improved, but my true concern is how improved (or nerfed) the veterans, and how well the newcomers are compared to Bowser. We already know Bowser has an issue against campers and CGers, and we already have Megaman being one of the campy-looking characters. So now wondering who else King Koopa has to be aware of?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I tend to wonder if Bowser will get back his typical cartoon voice that Kenny James has given him. I mean, it would be weird to see Bowser's own son maintain his cartoon voice, while Bowser's stuck with his Brawl-esque roars again.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I tend to wonder if Bowser will get back his typical cartoon voice that Kenny James has given him. I mean, it would be weird to see Bowser's own son maintain his cartoon voice, while Bowser's stuck with his Brawl-esque roars again.
Well, the game has taken up more vibrant and colourful tone, rather than Brawl's serious and realistic one.

And Bowser now looks less realistic than even Melee. I believe he will get his cartoonish roars.

FangnierFernious

Smash Apprentice
I didn't think it was possible but after seeing that drop kick Bowser is more powerful then before. I know who I'm definitely using against my friends.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
I just hope Bowser gets his own stage for once. Been wanting that since Melee. I mean, it's not like it wouldn't be an interesting stage. They could always go retro using the one in Super Mario Bros or throw some of those laser statues in SMB3.

Still, loving the DK-like improvements on Bowser so far and I really hope he sticks with the Giga Bowser transformation unless they come up with something far better than that.
i prefer if his stage would be based on the Super Mario world castles.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'm inclined to think this is the case. I noted several veterans didn't have any voices at all, and I take this to mean their voices are being re-done. I think Mario, Link, and Pikachu's are only place-holders as well (they are Brawl voices at the moment). I thought it was curious that they'd showcase Bowser, but he wouldn't make any vocal grunts at all.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm unsure if the dropkick is his new F-smash since he like... did it OoS in the trailer.

But I dunno, maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

It looks REALLY cool though, lol.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Aside from standing upright...

Did Bowser get bigger?

What do you guys think?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Nah, I think it's just because he's standing upright. Though it's also entirely possible that Battlefield got smaller, since his head goes through the platform while standing under it. xD

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Well....he is technically bigger since he is upright now. Which would mean a bigger vertical hitbox.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sakurai himself said in the video that Bowser has a more upright stance. I don't think he has gotten any bigger though.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Some animals will stand upright to make themselves appear larger than they actually are, especially in territorial gestures.[citation needed]

Vale

Smash Ace
He's bigger, faster, and stronger too
He's the leader of the Koopa Crew.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Seems like he is taller, but not as wide. So he may have the same area, just different proportions. Same size hitbox more or less.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Too me he actually looks smaller despite standing taller.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
I would get over Bowser sucking, I mean I've gotten very used to it.

New/better, voice, victory music and a stage would be things I really want.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I want Melee Bowser dang it. He's getting more and more goofy every iteration. First a body slam and now a drop kick? What's next, a suplex? A DDT? Why not put some spandex on him and call it a day?

Top Bottom