• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Dr Dank

Smash Rookie
Hey there. Bit of a long time lurker, finally deciding to post, so I guess an introduction may be apt here? I'm not sure.

I've been in my local scene (Wales, UK) for about a year now, I'm a bowser main, quite obviously. I'm pretty average at the game and I'm hoping by getting more involved with the bowser community, maybe I can develop more as a player and just have fun doing so!

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
So I hear Bowser needs nerfs now.

/icryeverytime
Kneejerk reactions to uthrow.

Would rather see nerfs to higher tiers or decreasing speed on Cloud's everything.

People don't realize that Bowser still has to play hard to get anything done.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Man, I'm the one who's crying. There was this great, one minute video where a ZSS Uaired Bowser to the moon on Duck Hunt flawlessy for both stocks using the tree to extend air time. It's an old video, like Patch 1.04 old, but I remember the ZSS being Nairo, so I don't expect it to be this hard to find.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
I remember that video Zapp was talking about, I'll edit this post if I can find it.

EDIT: Yeah it's gone.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
I just happened to notice Bowser being featured in several videos from the various tourny channels I'm subscribed to (this Ash fellow specifically). From there I learned about the patch and what not and I decided to comment randomly. Not sure if that counts as being "back" though.

MrEh MrEh , you've yet to bring home the bacon in the mystical land of Hawaii, what gives? :)

EDIT: Also, I've randomly decided that my handle when I enter a tournament will be HBK. Short for Heart Break Koopa. Unless I think of something cooler.

EDIT2: Koopa-ccino?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Can someone teach me how to HOO HAA properly? I dont really find myself using it anywhere as much. And as soon as I know, theyre either at a high percent to hit them (RAGE) or I just double jump (is it even necessary)? How do you BAIR? Do I need to buffer a turnaround animation or do I just run walk a bit to the side?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Can someone teach me how to HOO HAA properly? I dont really find myself using it anywhere as much. And as soon as I know, theyre either at a high percent to hit them (RAGE) or I just double jump (is it even necessary)? How do you BAIR? Do I need to buffer a turnaround animation or do I just run walk a bit to the side?
Use the sound of the "POW!" from the up throw to help with your buffer timing. If you press a button as soon as you hear it, that action should buffer out, do this to ensure you make the most of your available frames.

Also, welcome back.

D

Deleted member 189823

Buffer the jump or the turnaround?

Also, thanks. I kind of did so because my first U.S tournament inspired, yesterday. Im at Florida. I did rather poorly in my terms, but not terrible in overall terms (Top 25 out of 123 players at a weekly). I can definitely do better next time. (:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Buffer the jump or the turnaround?

Also, thanks. I kind of did so because my first U.S tournament inspired, yesterday. Im at Florida. I did rather poorly in my terms, but not terrible in overall terms (Top 25 out of 123 players at a weekly). I can definitely do better next time. (:
For up air it's just buffering your first jump then timing your double jump up air properly

Gor B-air you can try flicking the stick back then immediately jumping up with the back air. The goal is just to reach them before you run out of frames.

Hope the weather is treating you well over in Florida.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
Eh, it's Florida. Cloudless skies and sunshine half of the time, down pours of rain the other half of the time. Also, so much humidity on some days you feel like you're swimming when you walk outside.

D

Deleted member 189823

Its been cloudy ever since I got here (around a week ago)!!! (:
Also did you watch my match vs. DJ Jack.

D

Deleted member 189823

I asked at what %s does our HOO HAA kill, only to walk out of the thread and find another thread pinpointing it out...yeah. Although, I guess itd be cool to know just how early our BAIR HOO HAA could kill. Ive seen it kill Sheik at 60...

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
We need a new Bowser guide. Bowser has gotten so many new options, almost new game plan with his recent changes that I feel like he jumped about two tiers, at least. His grab game is so good, the fact that his uthrow to stuff always puts the opponent above him, wich is never a good thing in smash, gives Bowser an extremely strong regrab game, and should i mention that it is also a kill confirm. Overall I know Bowser is still the same character, but his frame data is absolutely not bad, his disjoincted fists help him a lot even against sword characters, he has decent approach tools, and his kill power is just insane ; I just hope he doesnt get nerfed for all of that, considering how people are crying and saying uh nuh bowser uthrow broken pls nerf when we got stupid characters like ZSS who can **** you up with a single grab. So yeah, I was thinking of making a nice and complete guide about Bowser, but Im really not good at speaking about matchups. If anyone got the time here, please think about it, so we can show how powerful Bowser truly is. Long live the King.

Last edited:

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
We need a new Bowser guide. Bowser has gotten so many new options, almost new game plan with his recent changes that I feel like he jumped about two tiers, at least. His grab game is so good, the fact that his uthrow to stuff always puts the opponent above him, wich is never a good thing in smash, gives Bowser an extremely strong regrab game, and should i mention that it is also a kill confirm. Overall I know Bowser is still the same character, but his frame data is absolutely not bad, his disjoincted fists help him a lot even against sword characters, he has decent approach tools, and his kill power is just insane ; I just hope he doesnt get nerfed for all of that, considering how people are crying and saying uh nuh bowser uthrow broken pls nerf when we got stupid characters like ZSS who can **** you up with a single grab. So yeah, I was thinking of making a nice and complete guide about Bowser, but Im really not good at speaking about matchups. If anyone got the time here, please think about it, so we can show how powerful Bowser truly is. Long live the King.
I wouldn't say Bowser needs a new guide. None of his approach options were altered so he still suffers there. We got a better U-Throw, snap-ledge reverse fortress and slightly faster Flying Slam. Other than that? Eh, not much. These buffs were fantastic but not enough to constitute a new guide.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Just noticed something funny on Bowser's Frame Data on Kurogane Hammer
It says "Luigi Dthrow Reincarnated" under the UThrow Section

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Yeah but at least Luigi had a broken fireball.

And a frame 3 Nair.

Fair character. :)

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
So today was that kind of weird day on For Glory where there isnt anyone alive on it, or you just keep finding the same person again, but then I finally got a match with another Bowser. That... guy was really was good. The thing is, I am playing a very agressive Bowser, i am every good at rushing down and powershielding, jabbing aproaches etc, using whirling fortress a lot, getting my combos and kills with uthrow. But that guy was the opposite, and that really got me off-guard. So first, he was just standing there. Like, litteraly, standing there. Sometimes jabbing, often f-tilting when I tried to approach and always walking. He wasnt even really fishing for grabs at all, even though he was indeed aware of the new combos of Bowser. But another thing was his use of Flame breath. He was using it a lot and I couldnt do much about it. Basically this guy was always baiting me, hard, and I couldnt find the right options. He was getting his kills through down Bs or Side Bs, and his edgeguard was dam good, he was almost always catching my get ups on the ledge, except jump. I was able to catch his back rolling habit and airdodges, but that wasnt enough. We had 6-7 matches and I won 1, and I wish these werent so freaking laggy. Fighting such a good Bowser who was just standing there waiting was a real lesson that I learned today. His name was Kusagari I think, we were playing on 3DS. I know Bowser is a bait and punish character, but I cant play that playstyle yet, but thanks a lot to this person for showing me how.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Well I literally lost several dozen matches in a row.

My win/loss ratio is seriously 36%....

Last edited:

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
BarSoapSoup BarSoapSoup win rate doesnt matter you know, except for self-esteem. Mine is about 77.88% on FG 1-on1, but when I lose some matches and it really slooowly goes down of about 0.01% per loss, I just say to myself that it happens, that its For Glory anyway so the lag and FD stages dont help at all, and that I play Bowser, who is still a flawed heavyweight and absolutely crappy matchups happen (Toon Link and ZSS, oml)

MagiusNecros MagiusNecros What do you mean by exhausting?

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
BarSoapSoup BarSoapSoup win rate doesnt matter you know, except for self-esteem. Mine is about 77.88% on FG 1-on1, but when I lose some matches and it really slooowly goes down of about 0.01% per loss, I just say to myself that it happens, that its For Glory anyway so the lag and FD stages dont help at all, and that I play Bowser, who is still a flawed heavyweight and absolutely crappy matchups happen (Toon Link and ZSS, oml)

MagiusNecros MagiusNecros What do you mean by exhausting?
Yeah but I got the **** kicked out me. By everything and everyone. Especially this Ike player that would strip me of well earned advantages by making me Bowsercide. It's infuriating. I want to be good but I just keep getting the **** kicked out me. I don't know how I'm supposed to be decent with Bowser. I fought ever level 8 until I could 3-stock them consistently and I still get destroyed online...

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Do you play on 3DS or Wii U? Im saddenned I dont have a Wii U yet cause Id really like to battle a lot of people here, but nobody plays on 3DS.

All I gotta say is practice, Bowser is not an easy character to use, but once you become really good with him, he's just too fun and rewarding, and thus you don't get frustrated when you lose, cause you know you did your best.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Do you play on 3DS or Wii U? Im saddenned I dont have a Wii U yet cause Id really like to battle a lot of people here, but nobody plays on 3DS.

All I gotta say is practice, Bowser is not an easy character to use, but once you become really good with him, he's just too fun and rewarding, and thus you don't get frustrated when you lose, cause you know you did your best.
I play on Wii U. My NNID is BarSoapS I think. I am going on a NYC trip tomorrow but I can play tonight and the rest of the weekend.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
I just found the person I was talking about again and it was amazing. About 10 matches with two Bowser being extremely patient, that is what was going on. Im still wondering why it sometimes happens that FG is completely deserted.

Edit: I dont know if this has been stated yet, but when opponents are at too higher percents for Uthrow -> Up air to connect, Bowser can instead double jump down B, wich will hit them if they airdodge. I got this against that other Bowser, this might need some testing factoring different DI etc, but that was amazing and actually reminds me of Shiek's Vanish.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Does anyone here have a capture card? KIPA uploaded the matches to the worldwide forum thingy (not Youtube) the other day. I have a few Bowser-PikaPika matches (a best of 3, I think) and also a best of 3 with my Yoshi.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Whats the benefits of using Bowser's dash attack? I find that move really, really bad. As Bowser my only close up approach is grab wich will beat shields by any way, or Klaw for roll reads, but that dash attack.. Ugh.

Top Bottom