• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'm super late in noticing this: I find it funny that Giga Bowser's move-set wasn't adapted with Bowser's new move-set. So weird in seeing his Melee/Brawl animations in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
The ferality of Giga Bowser's design would make him look weird as hell standing upright and throwing dropkicks. So they left him alone for fans of the old hunchback Bowser, minivan running animation and all that.

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
Being someone who plays a lot of 2v2 For Fun, I still love Giga Bowser as a Final Smash and character. Never mind the Mini/Bowservan run but also just as a Final Smash, it can be devastating and super fun. That and if you're lucky to land a charged f-smash, it just feels so powerful! Its nice as a big fan of the old hunchback tanky looking Bowser as well.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Anybody who has ever had to animate a character will tell you walking/running animations are time consuming and difficult to build in a way that is fluid. And every run in smash bros. stems from a dash animation. Knowing how strapped for time they were with Melee and what shortcuts they took (for instance, G&W got in instead of a different newcomer like Wario, because G&W has very few drawings for each move and movement rather than actual animations for a 3D model. And there were tons of clones that got to share animations too). As I remember it, the Melee Bowser run animation had maybe 2 or 3 frames worth of animation. And it would just be the final frame of his dash vibrating up and down as he moved. Maybe this was some quick shortcut rather than finishing a weird looking run animation they were building.

This is part of another, perhaps more debatable theory, but prior to Melee, Bowser was typically drawn to be just a large turtle that could stand upright. Unlike, say, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who could run because they have human proportions. Quadriceps, the shell doesn't cover most of the legs, they have arms that can swing, there's no issues there. Bowser being able to run on his legs probably would have clashed immensely with what we expected of Bowser before this. Nowadays, his shell covers less of his body in Mario games, and his limbs are more pronounced. Making punches and kicks and runs more natural looking.

Also, I adore how he moves and fights in Bowser's inside Story. Maybe Sakurai did too and spent all the effort remaking Bowser's moveset.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Anybody who has ever had to animate a character will tell you walking/running animations are time consuming and difficult to build in a way that is fluid. And every run in smash bros. stems from a dash animation. Knowing how strapped for time they were with Melee and what shortcuts they took (for instance, G&W got in instead of a different newcomer like Wario, because G&W has very few drawings for each move and movement rather than actual animations for a 3D model. And there were tons of clones that got to share animations too). As I remember it, the Melee Bowser run animation had maybe 2 or 3 frames worth of animation. And it would just be the final frame of his dash vibrating up and down as he moved. Maybe this was some quick shortcut rather than finishing a weird looking run animation they were building.

This is part of another, perhaps more debatable theory, but prior to Melee, Bowser was typically drawn to be just a large turtle that could stand upright. Unlike, say, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who could run because they have human proportions. Quadriceps, the shell doesn't cover most of the legs, they have arms that can swing, there's no issues there. Bowser being able to run on his legs probably would have clashed immensely with what we expected of Bowser before this. Nowadays, his shell covers less of his body in Mario games, and his limbs are more pronounced. Making punches and kicks and runs more natural looking.

Also, I adore how he moves and fights in Bowser's inside Story. Maybe Sakurai did too and spent all the effort remaking Bowser's moveset.
Thanks for teaching science class today.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I studied ancient history in school, it was the worst thing I ever did.

Smash 4 Bowser is the only Bowser I like tbh.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
B-but... Ancient history is so interesting. Those dang ancient Egyptians were so awesome!
I wrote a paper on ancient egypt once. It was mostly filler so I could talk about the Kingdom of Kush. Everytime I mentioned it by name I drew different pictures of marijuana and joints on the side of the paper. My professor loved it.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I like the Smash 4 Bowser run. He runs faster than most of the cast and every step shakes the goddamn screen. That's what this character is about.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
I like the Smash 4 Bowser run. He runs faster than most of the cast and every step shakes the goddamn screen. That's what this character is about.
Ha Bowser's run is why every youtube video I upload asks me if I want to correct shakiness in the video.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
I haven't had the time or internet stability until tonight to mess with Bowser in an online setting and holy **** does Bowser get mileage out of his uthrow. This is crazy. Much, much easier to net kills now instead of poking and playing safe until I can either ledgeguard for the kill or ftilt or something. I'm REALLY loving these buffs.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I haven't had the time or internet stability until tonight to mess with Bowser in an online setting and holy **** does Bowser get mileage out of his uthrow. This is crazy. Much, much easier to net kills now instead of poking and playing safe until I can either ledgeguard for the kill or ftilt or something. I'm REALLY loving these buffs.
Yeah, it's basically necessary for Bowser to have any chance at all at the competitive level.

He needs to have the ability to flip matches around as fast as DK does to even stand a chance.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Happy holidays, everyone. 2016 is going to be a blast and I couldn't have asked to be on this train with finer gents. ;)

:4bowser: mains for life. Let's go!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Yep, Bowser's buffs really shine. I have a sort of on and off relationship with the tough guy, but his new buffs (and "the raid" from the big bad bosses album) really brought me back to him. feels good to play a heavy again. I sort of feel home when I play a heavy...being patient...reading your opponent...it's ultra satisfying.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Some xenoblade topic

Speaking of, I'm at 99% survey rate, all I have to kill is Telethia, who does nothing but cheat so whatever lol
I love XCX so much. Not ready for Telethia but I hear he has some cheapness to him and you need those negate reflect augments and then some.

I need to build up my super mech.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I love XCX so much. Not ready for Telethia but I hear he has some cheapness to him and you need those negate reflect augments and then some.

I need to build up my super mech.
Telethia just randomly kills you. Like I'm taking damage from some aura or something. I have the ether reflect negate but I still die to nothing and I dunno why.

******* bird.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Telethia just randomly kills you. Like I'm taking damage from some aura or something. I have the ether reflect negate but I still die to nothing and I dunno why.

******* bird.
You'll need negate spike damage or spike resist. Otherwise you'll need to one shot it.

Evasion Augments up the wazoo could help as well.

Last edited:

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Hey, fellow Bowser Mains :)
Since December 21st I have added Bowser to be my 2nd main.
Here's how I decided to add Bowser as a main:
I was watching a livestream of 1FOW1 trying to do the FG Ironman Challenge (19th December I think) and I decided I want try it out myself.
After so many tries, I couldn't get any further than to DK.
The thing was, everytime I played Bowser during the challenge, the more I liked using him and he was also the only character I didn't lose with.
After that I gave up on the challenge, since I have added a new character to play as.

Last edited:

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Hey, fellow Bowser Mains :)
Since December 21st I have added Bowser to be my 2nd main.
Here's how I decided to add Bowser as a main:
I was watching a livestream of 1FOW1 trying to do the FG Ironman Challenge (19th December I think) and I decided I want try it out myself.
After so many tries, I couldn't get any further than to DK.
The thing was, everytime I played Bowser during the challenge, the more I liked using him and he was also the only character I didn't lose with.
After that I gave up on the challenge, since I have added a new character to play as.
Welcome to the Koopa Kingdom, bretheren.
Hang out, steal princesses, light some stuff on fire, make some friends.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Anybody got tips on increasing the survey rate? All I know how to do is install probes, but apparently the other icons of the map have some sort of side missions? I could use an explanation. Running past enemies that can one-shot me and then failing to find the probe is really hammering in the point that I don't know what I'm doing.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Anybody got tips on increasing the survey rate? All I know how to do is install probes, but apparently the other icons of the map have some sort of side missions? I could use an explanation. Running past enemies that can one-shot me and then failing to find the probe is really hammering in the point that I don't know what I'm doing.
Some treasures/tyrants count as segment recon. During early game focus on FN sites, mid game you wanna focus on field treasures and late game you go kill tyrants.

Not every treasure/tyrant counts though, you'll know when you've completed a hexagonal square when it shows up as a yellow shield on frontiernav, that means you never have to go back there basically.

Top Bottom