• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman

The crossover of my favorite Pokémon (Tyranitar) with my favorite Video game character. This was a ton of work, I hope you all like it.

Next :

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice

The crossover of my favorite Pokémon (Tyranitar) with my favorite Video game character. This was a ton of work, I hope you all like it.

Next :

Holy **** that is hype. If you could somehow make a dream bowser version, that would impress me to the nth degree

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Would personally enjoy a Giga Bowser palette for Bowser. Always loved the design and color of Giga. I remember using an Action Replay to 'main' Giga Bowser in Melee, trying to complete Classic, Adventure and All-Star to varying degrees of difficulty, haha. Needless to say, most of those stages are not designed with G-Bowser's size in mind...

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
So I thought I would take my own go at one of these matchups charts,
upload_2016-4-18_10-35-12.png

I wasn't sure if I should put Corrin as even or -0.5 solely on the fact that the counter is ridiculous(even after nerfs), but I decided it was too much of an influencing factor. Also Luigi is mainly -0.5 because one bad read can get us upB killed.

Attachments

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
So I thought I would take my own go at one of these matchups charts, View attachment 104415
I wasn't sure if I should put Corrin as even or -0.5 solely on the fact that the counter is ridiculous(even after nerfs), but I decided it was too much of an influencing factor. Also Luigi is mainly -0.5 because one bad read can get us upB killed.
I don't know about Ganondorf being even with us. After I learned to keep my cool and play properly to Ganon I'd say we win more matches against him than he does against us. Approaching is on him, his aerials are almost as laggy as ours and though he can power through it with Wizard's Foot, Fire Breath is still effective at walling him out.

Though I hardly ever struggle against him, I'd also place Pikachu closer to a losing matchup simply because he can dance around us and exploit our landing issues very well.

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
So I thought I would take my own go at one of these matchups charts, View attachment 104415
I wouldn't say we're disadvantaged at all against Falcon or Fox. Sure it's volatile, but Falcon really has no way of getting in and Fox gets destroyed by Upthrow combos.

Villager and DH and to some degree ROB are definitely not even, as even staying in neutral with them forces us to spend shield, which puts the burden of approach on us while they can stand on the edge all day chucking projectiles and taking advantage of any unsafe choices without committing too much.

I'm hesitant to put us even with Rosalina, but I suppose it's reasonable.

Since the recent buff, I'm not sure about where to place Mew2.

Don't count out G&W out of hand, just because we don't see him very much. His hitboxes and Uair are crazy against bad landers.

I also wouldn't put us even with Diddy, his frame data is just faster and he has a bandanna. His recovery is the only bad thing about him against fire breath.

B-Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
BBlack2
3DS FC
2681-1589-1276
Hi guys. Is there a Discord group about Bowser here? :)
So I can discuss more freely about Bowser's MUs and, if possible, play with you in 3DS!

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick question - I think I am doing vectoring / DI wrong when being launched near the blast zone. I.e. I get launched, I hang in the blast zone for about a second before I regain control of Bowser (I mash air Dodge to see when I have control again) and yet I still die, even if I hold the analog stick towards center stage. Can somebody just give me a quick rundown on case I'm doing it wrong?

Edit: Did some searching - vectoring has been removed for the most part it seems? Guess I'm just unlucky.

Last edited:

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say we're disadvantaged at all against Falcon or Fox. Sure it's volatile, but Falcon really has no way of getting in and Fox gets destroyed by Upthrow combos.

Villager and DH and to some degree ROB are definitely not even, as even staying in neutral with them forces us to spend shield, which puts the burden of approach on us while they can stand on the edge all day chucking projectiles and taking advantage of any unsafe choices without committing too much.

I'm hesitant to put us even with Rosalina, but I suppose it's reasonable.

Since the recent buff, I'm not sure about where to place Mew2.

Don't count out G&W out of hand, just because we don't see him very much. His hitboxes and Uair are crazy against bad landers.

I also wouldn't put us even with Diddy, his frame data is just faster and he has a bandanna. His recovery is the only bad thing about him against fire breath.
I think Falcon is hard because he can kill us easily with Uair to Knee, and Fox is tough because his frame data and air speed are really hard to deal with. I guess I could see Villager being tough on us, we're really vulnerable to him when both characters are in the air, and I have lost in tournament before to one but that was mainly from my failure to mix up recovering and was destroyed by the offstage bowling ball. Rob doesn't seem too bad if you're patient, his large hurtboxes make him take a lot of damage from nair and his landing option is predictable. Duck Hunt I haven't played any in tournament before.
I actually forgot completely about the recent mewtwo buffs, that might change things.
As far as G&W goes, I don't have too much experience with either, I just assumed that he dies too easily in this MU. Does Dair still work against the windbox of the Uair?
Again this is what my opinion is, obviously not anything that should be followed officially.

Last edited:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Had a guy online take pity on my because he was wrecking me with ZSS. Dude was also mocking me when he played with other characters with tags like "UR•GOOD".

Bruh, I didn't ask for your pity/ I hardly know the match up and would like to play more of it to get a better feel for it. Why u switchin characters knowing your heart ain't in it.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
So...I've been doing it right? Am I timing it wrong? Do I need to reapply the stick towards the center of the stage after being hit or do I also need to tilt towards the corners?
You can act out of hitstun while you still have the momentum of being hit. This was especially noticeable in Brawl, but it's still present in Sm4sh to a lesser degree. That's why you can airdodge, showing you to be out of hitstun, but die off the side anyway.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Dude was also mocking me when he played with other characters with tags like "UR•GOOD".
Yikes. I actually have a " UR•GOOD!!!" tag to try and compliment other players (and also because I refuse to insult other players via tags). Hope people don't often take that as mocking.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Also, something to consider, there are people that can't stand playing the same character, so they go random. It's not always an act of malice.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Had a guy online take pity on my because he was wrecking me with ZSS. Dude was also mocking me when he played with other characters with tags like "UR•GOOD".

Bruh, I didn't ask for your pity/ I hardly know the match up and would like to play more of it to get a better feel for it. Why u switchin characters knowing your heart ain't in it.
As much as I would prefer my opponents stick with a character I have trouble against, it's not like they have any obligation to do so. Maybe he genuinely thought you had some skill but thought one of his secondaries would be a closer match to be more fun for both parties involved, since as you said he was wrecking you with another. I've done that myself. I don't think there's much to be learned if one player outclasses another too severely, as well, so it's not like you were missing too much.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yikes. I actually have a " UR•GOOD!!!" tag to try and compliment other players (and also because I refuse to insult other players via tags). Hope people don't often take that as mocking.
Well, it was in combination of "UR•GARBAGE" as well, so I'm pretty sure he was mocking me. :p

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
New information, my friend. That's when you know it's time to dip from the room.

Last edited:

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
Luigi is the best side character for Bowser mains to counter ZSS and Sheik. The matchups are about even at high level and at mid level Luigi beats both of them. Plus it only takes 4-5 hours top of Luigi play to learn the character.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
New information, my friend. That's when you know it's time to dip from the room.
Ah yeah. Sorry. I seem to have this tendency of not making any story I tell clear enough for people to understand. I don't know why. I just knot up my words or something.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Speaking about it, I recently killed a Ganon charging a fsmah straight at the top with Dash Attack at 130% with no rage. It was unexpected.

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone here knows if item toss strength determines how far up an item goes. If Bowser takes Rob's Gyro and throws it up, does it take longer to reach the ground than it would for other characters?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I was wondering if anyone here knows if item toss strength determines how far up an item goes. If Bowser takes Rob's Gyro and throws it up, does it take longer to reach the ground than it would for other characters?
Yes. You can see this for yourself because item toss strength is directly proportional to weight. In training mode, set the camera to fixed and count the number of seconds the gyro is off-screen when ROB smash throws upward - about 2.5 seconds. Then make Jigglypuff throw the gyro, and it is only off screen for about one second.

Not all items are created equal though. Some have fixed projectile speeds and durations that don't change depending on how it's thrown or who is throwing it. One example is Mega Man's metal blades.

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
Yes. You can see this for yourself because item toss strength is directly proportional to weight. In training mode, set the camera to fixed and count the number of seconds the gyro is off-screen when ROB smash throws upward - about 2.5 seconds. Then make Jigglypuff throw the gyro, and it is only off screen for about one second.

Not all items are created equal though. Some have fixed projectile speeds and durations that don't change depending on how it's thrown or who is throwing it. One example is Mega Man's metal blades.
That is actually pretty cool then. I've been thinking about getting back into Bowser (I had dropped him like 6-7 months ago). What used to be the most annoying problem for him (besides landing) was that he was easily zoned out by projectile spammers, but with this new Uthrow (he now can do a lot with just one moment of "getting in" compared to before) and the fact that I can make use of that buffed item toss against banana and gyro, he doesn't seem as helpless against them.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I recently started playing Bowser, and I must say that I love him! Currently making a montage :) I'm never cocky or anything, but I think it's shaping up pretty well ^^

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys paid attention to the noise Bowser makes when he techs? It's really weird, I can hardly describe it. It sounds like a dinosaur(like a real one, not an animated pokemon/yoshi) trying to stretch as far as it can.

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
It sounds like a dinosaur trying to bark.

I don't think I'll ever understand the sound direction for Bowser in any Smash game.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ah, so here's a video of me today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEnjg6YC-eA

I need to save the ones where I get bodied by good players, but I have this tendency of trying to quickly get to the next match. But maybe this would help at least shed some light on my shortcomings. Maybe. I'll try to get more in the future.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I was just wondering: Does Down Throw have any good use at all? Both Back Throw and Forward throw are kill throws, and they deal the same damage as Down Throw does :\

constable lemon

Smash Cadet
I was just wondering: Does Down Throw have any good use at all? Both Back Throw and Forward throw are kill throws, and they deal the same damage as Down Throw does :\
The only possible use I could think of is if you're at a % where up throw won't have any followups, and you're not going to kill with forward or back throw and you don't want to stale them. Even then, it might be worth it to go for fthrow or bthrow just to get them offstage for a possible edgeguard.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Did I do a D-throw? My only logic to using it is because reflex. I need to get it out of my system.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Outside of cases where you don't want to stale your fthrow/bthrow and the uthrow followup window is gone so you just take dthrow for the damage... it doesn't have much use. It's also there for those "oh god why did I dthrow" misinput moments. Those are fun.

super fan bros

Smash Cadet
I don't know about Ganondorf being even with us. After I learned to keep my cool and play properly to Ganon I'd say we win more matches against him than he does against us. Approaching is on him, his aerials are almost as laggy as ours and though he can power through it with Wizard's Foot, Fire Breath is still effective at walling him out.

I play Ganondorf as well as Bowser and I confirm that Bowser has the MU. Bowser is faster, better reach, a attack at midway (flamethrower), a good combo with his Uthrow and can edeguard Ganondorf quite easily.

Ganondorf has just some combo, a spike and better air attacks.

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone here tried using Dair close to the ground as a combo breaker? I saw Le Troof do this once, and I was specifically wondering if it would work right after Luigi does a Dthrow double fair on us, to keep him from doing anything after. (It would just land the outside hitboxes)

Top Bottom