• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Has anyone here tried using Dair close to the ground as a combo breaker? I saw Le Troof do this once, and I was specifically wondering if it would work right after Luigi does a Dthrow double fair on us, to keep him from doing anything after. (It would just land the outside hitboxes)
Yes, using Dair right out of hitstun has applications as a combo breaker, but it requires that the opponent be on the ground on that particular frame. Dair's landing hit will not strike an airborne opponent, even if you're touching them. The only guaranteed application I know of is Mario's Dthrow at 0%, and later % depending on his choices in followup. There's also possibilities for getting hit by stray Utilts, jabs, or projectiles from the ground that could lead into strings, but it's important to remember that if you have the time to Dair after such weak hits, you also have the time to burn double jump and escape danger.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
So I thought I would take my own go at one of these matchups charts, View attachment 104415
I wasn't sure if I should put Corrin as even or -0.5 solely on the fact that the counter is ridiculous(even after nerfs), but I decided it was too much of an influencing factor. Also Luigi is mainly -0.5 because one bad read can get us upB killed.
Toon Link even? Are you crazy?! Bowser falls victim to Bomb Setups due to his high weight and large weight. He especially suffers with Boomerang and Hero's Bow because they wall him out and make it difficult to approach. Bowser is badly hurt by Toon's U-Throw (Oh the irony) and Whirling Fortress can be easily spiked. On your hand, you are more agile on the ground, have an easier time killing, and OOS Whirling Fortess is hell.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
In case people aren't aware, momocon is ridiculous right now. :4bowser: is in top 8, and took VoiD and Vinnie, two prominent :4sheik: players, out of winners in the process. Grab your popcorn and tune in to Smash Studios tomorrow to see how momocon will turn out.

Last edited:

constable lemon

Smash Cadet
In case people aren't aware, momocon is ridiculous right now. :4bowser: is in top 8, and took VoiD and Vinnie, two prominent :4sheik: players, out of winners in the process. Grab your popcorn and tune in to Smash Studios tomorrow to see how momocon will turn out.
I can't believe neither of those matches were on stream.

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
I knew this day would come.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Toon Link even? Are you crazy?! Bowser falls victim to Bomb Setups due to his high weight and large weight. He especially suffers with Boomerang and Hero's Bow because they wall him out and make it difficult to approach. Bowser is badly hurt by Toon's U-Throw (Oh the irony) and Whirling Fortress can be easily spiked. On your hand, you are more agile on the ground, have an easier time killing, and OOS Whirling Fortess is hell.
Nah, Bowser/Toon Link is closer than you think. His risk/reward is good and he lives forever. Like, in theory it's an easy win, but in practice, Bowser needs only a few openings to kill you.

BTW how is Sheik/Bowser now? When I played Bowser it was hell, but he's been buffed and she's been nerfed. And I imagine up throw up air works for a long time on her or kills her pretty early.

Last edited:

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
Nah, Bowser/Toon Link is closer than you think. His risk/reward is good and he lives forever. Like, in theory it's an easy win, but in practice, Bowser needs only a few openings to kill you.

BTW how is Sheik/Bowser now? When I played Bowser it was hell, but he's been buffed and she's been nerfed. And I imagine up throw up air works for a long time on her or kills her pretty early.
It kills her at 80 without rage, I believe. She's still as bad as any other top tier with superior frame data and movement, but she can't kill us without a read or a mistake on our part. In my opinion if you can grab her 6 times in a game, you'll win. Also, her fair has been nerfed so that it doesn't beat everything in trades now, so going for trades with her might be more reasonable, you can make her respect you more.

Of course, Bowser vs Shiek will always LOOK like Bowser is losing because he's being slapped around 90% of the time.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Short notice. Bowser Discord was challenged by Bowser Jr Discord to a crew battle. The stream is going down at 6pm PST, about 30 min from this post.

The stream: https://www.twitch.tv/theyaegs

EDIT: Also, without wasting time, the Yoshi Discord has challenged the Bowser Discord to JMU stuff. Crew battle will go down June 5th, next Sunday, 6pm PST.

Last edited:

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
Today I came 1st in a doubles tournament at our local. I went full Bowser and my partner was Little Mac and our team name was Boozer and Bruiser. Was fun to finally get a chance to play in a team tourney after ages.

EDIT: Had another doubles tournament today and this time went in with a Pikachu partner under the name Team Shellshock. We managed to come 1st together and the combination of speed and strings of Pikachu with Bowser's bulk and tankiness ended up being a pretty strong combination.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Another short notice post. :4bowser: vs :4yoshi: Discord crew battle going down today at 6pm PST, hosted by the one-and-only Wall.

https://www.twitch.tv/thewallyoshi

Tune in or check for past broadcast if you're interested.

EDIT: :4bowser: vs :4dedede: Discord crew battle happening on Sunday, June 26th, 6pm PST, streamed by the :4dedede: admin, Gigaquake. Stream info TBA.

If you're interested in joining, hit up the Discord and check the updates channel.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
Where can I find the most up to date info on Bowsercide results? I'm not finding it. I'm presently trying to convince people who still don't believe it's programmed badly that the move is programmed badly. I don't have to be in the Smash loop for the past, what, year to know that that move is still so inconsistent.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I tried it in 1.1.3? and Bowser dies first on every legal stage except Duck Hunt, where it's a tie. Didn't test omegas.

Might not be up to date, but I dunno why it would've changed since then.

B!squick

Smash Master
Well, someone recently made a topic on this board saying on Dreamland 64 Bowser loses if he's in the air or on a platform and it goes to sudden death from the main level.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
That's rough lol.

Don't go for Bowsercides, man. Even if you're up a stock, many characters can straight up recover from it.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
What's there to say, really? Bowser has no tech, he's an underused character, and he's very straightforward. I know we recently found backwards fair to bair but that's probably about all we're going to see any time soon. We're done.

I just don't think there's anything left for Bowser. How many top players really go in with this character compared to the amount of top players using S rank characters?

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
What's there to say, really? Bowser has no tech, he's an underused character, and he's very straightforward. I know we recently found backwards fair to bair but that's probably about all we're going to see any time soon. We're done.

I just don't think there's anything left for Bowser. How many top players really go in with this character compared to the amount of top players using S rank characters?
I would just like to say that this is a really defeatist attitude and I don't want anybody to go under the impression that "we're done". According to melee players, Smash 4 has no tech. Whatever you want to call it, an advantage specific to Bowser is that he forces players to respect all of his options because they hurt so much.

The entire meta of this game is defined by the characters that top players play. That doesn't mean that other characters are inherently bad. Do you know how long it took for Captain Falcon to be considered viable in melee? And that was only because of Isaiah. Isn't it kind of weird that Toon Link only became more prominent as soon as Hyuga shows up? And what about iStudying? Oh and guess what, ZeRo just lost to a Palutena, so guess what character we're going to start seeing more often in competitive play.

Teir lists are stupid until like 5 years after the game comes out. And considering the fact that this is a matchup knowledge intensive game compared to melee where there are really like 8 characters, having an unusual character like Bowser under your belt is a pretty good asset.

And this character is ****ing good. I found out that you can boost grab a Jigglypuff fading back from a spaced back air if you powershield or just hang back. I'm still waiting on that list of aerials that we can pivot grab, and are frame positive on hit.

Also, I feel like Discord is a better platform for getting tidbits of advice about matchups and tech, whereas a board is more suited to complete disclosures of tech or new discoveries. So if we're not forced to seek advice for small things through the board, then we shouldn't.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Discord is for people that value one-on-ones and want active interactions with wifi opponents or arguments over interactions.

Here, you get all the classic information, and it's still very agreeable; none of the important threads will ever go out of fashion. We still have regulars that pop up like Big Sean and Zapp who really do know their stuff, so asking questions here isn't a lost cause, usually.

As far as board activity is concerned, Bowser has never been popular, and things always die down after the initial hype from a new game with Bowser crushing scrubs. The reality is that the dedicated few will always be around, absorbing information, and shooting the breeze. As long as you're a part of the Bowser fam, you really aren't alone.

EDIT: Also, big stream alert. One of our Bowser fam in Florida, DinoKnight, if you've heard of him, will be going to town this evening. Tune in: https://www.twitch.tv/vsgc

Also, though Mix typically doesn't go Bowser in locals, you can catch his shenanigans here: https://www.twitch.tv/yomi_gaming

Last edited:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a little disheartened. I don't frequently enter tourneys, so I shouldn't be so surprised, but I lost pretty badly. I just don't take loss very well.

I lost 0-2 to a Mewtwo and then 0-2 to a Link. I try to reflect on it, but really one of my BIGGEST hold backs is not being able to recall the matches I play. I just can't seem to focus enough to remember things. I think this is what keeps me from getting better. Things were getting really good between the Mewtwo and I and suddenly our matches were over. I felt I was gaining an advantage finally, but I didn't obviously adapt quick enough.

I also blame match up knowledge. I have hardly played against Mewtwo and all I knew with Link was that he will spam items from a distance and that he wants me to jump so I just shield alot of what he does.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Well, w/ Mewtwo it's no mystery how your stocks close. It's usually gonna be dash canceled USmash, (footstool) disable -> any smash, B/FAir, or shadowball. What you're trying to do at the time matters and is a part of the learning process.

Last edited:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Just played someone that went by the name "DAYMAN" online. His nintendoID I think was Kyle. Played a decent Corrin. He won most of the time, but I got a few good matches in. I think he was using Dtilt with Corrin that followed up into maybe a Tap A and then into a Fair. And it felt like there was little I could do, DIing away certainly wasn't helping. Is DI even as useful in this game as it was in Melee? Because I feel like it doesn't do a thing. Could just be lack of experience.

In any case, this was a corrin that used the counter sparingly. Which is a good thing. I was still prepared for it, but I got caught off guard having doing some ariel combos once. Although, I certainly used Side B alot when I found that it put my opponent at a disadvantage. I thought the matches were fun. Upon reflection I feel like I should practice up with Bowser more as some things didn't come out confidently.

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
Dude honestly, Bowser gets it hard when you're not mentally on top of your opponent, and gives it hard when you're on top of your opponent mentally. It's easy to feel discouraged when you're playing someone better than you as Bowser, because it seems like Bowser's longevity just makes it so that you get ****** on harder. But it goes both ways. Bowser is an explosive character, and you just have to have a solid mindset just like in any fighting game.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh, I'm aware. There's these lengthy moments where Bowser is getting thrown around and then I get a moment to breathe where I can get a few hits in and suddenly the match is even once again. It's a tough game to play, for sure.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Most of Corrin's moveset pops you up, and your DI will be less effective if they're already chasing you in the air. That's why Corrin's combo game has a lot of synergy atm. You can still time a double jump or air dodge to minimize harassment, and escape to the ledge by DIing away.

DI still matters in this game, especially for Bowser.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Part of playing bowser is learning to accept that you're going to get combo'd. Like, a lot. You cant let it get to you.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
Dude honestly, Bowser gets it hard when you're not mentally on top of your opponent, and gives it hard when you're on top of your opponent mentally.
And to expand on this, like a lot of the other hard hitters, Bowser is prone to momentum shifts. You can be getting smacked around a whole bunch but a well read Fsmash will suddenly bring it all back. For example, I had a fairly good Pika smacking me around like a toy, but he couldn't get the kill. I won by raking him in with the Klaw. Always keep that fear factor in them and you can then usually capitalize on their panic mistakes

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
So, there is something I've been wanting to share in here for quite some time and I tought it was somewhat funny and silly.

Basically after playing MGS V and getting the hand of jehuty I came back to smash and played some Bowser. And each time I managed to get a clean pivot grab it did a little sumthin' sumthin' to me but I couldn't figure it out.

Then one day, I managed to get a pivot grab so clean, the ones you get when you grab an extended hurtbox which looks like the opponent is teleporting to you and then I just yelled "HAIDARAA !!!" out of nowhere and it felt so natural it cracked me up.

Then I decided to talk about it to the people of my community and it actually became a thing.

Bowser pivot grab is actually the haidara.

I do hope people get the reference though.

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
Been a while since I posted but I have been meaning to post on a Smash event here in Ireland called Celtic Throwdown I attended two weeks ago.

I ended up entering a charity doubles tournament and a competitive doubles tournament on top of some great friendlies throughout the weekend.

For both tournies I joined up with my Captain Falcon team mate and we went under our old name Team Capser for Boozer and Falcon.

The charity doubles was a crazy single elimination For Fun 2v2 format with all items bar the wind gun and with random stages. We ended up winning our first game and losing the second but turning into Giga Bowser on stream was probably one of the biggest hightlights of my smash career, was so hype! We were entered into a raffle due to participating and was lucky to win a N3DS XL.

The second and competitive tournament we ended up third out of 16 teams. Was a lot more intense but was a great way to go. Risalina and Mk took us out but it was a good scrap.

I was planning on taking a bit of a hiatus of smash after this so wanted to at least say to ye how my most recent Koopa scraps went.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Anyone have a capture card?

Last edited by a moderator:

pit1984

Smash Rookie

Okay I do not play Bowser I play Pit but my friend played Bowser and I am pretty excited there putting the Koopa King in Smite. Shoot yeah man I cannot believe it he is from mythology they have actually got people worshiping Bowser in Japan it is crazy.

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
Thought I would post a recent result I got earlier tonight. Irish Major here called Schism, I entered a doubles tournament with a Mac/Bayo main.

We managed to come 2nd out of 15 teams.

Fought a fair few neat teams, Pit and Rosa, Luigi and Mewtwo, Rob and Cloud, Rob and Shulk, Zelda and Villager and finally Robin and Lucina.

Was a great event and still repped our favourite Koopa from start to finish.

Link to bracket:

https://smash.gg/tournament/schism/events/wii-u-doubles/brackets?filter{"phaseId"%3A87456%7D

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
On a side note I learned the name of the band that did the opening themes and I haven't been able to stop listening. Kinniku Shojo Tai if memory serves and my phone doesn't "correct".

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
so is uthrow and uair true on falcon at specific percents i need to know thx
Yes. UThrow -> UAir is true starting early % (around 20% if you've got a lot of rage, else aim for 30% or so) all the way to kill % around 93% without rage. These % are based on FD with a fresh UThrow -> UAir. % range increases the more stale UThrow -> Air becomes.

EDIT: You should not be using UThrow -> UAir till kill % anyway. It is a suboptimal follow-up for positioning and potential follow-up damage. FAir combos easily, has more KBG than FThrow, and will send them off stage for an edge guard or ledge trap situation. NAir has the potential to tack on 24% and you can go for another NAir or FAir with a double jump. BAir can kill at the ledge around 65% without rage, and lord help your opponent if you can do reverse FAir -> BAir for an even earlier kill. This also doesn't account for mix-ups since you and everyone you play should know UThrow leads into free combos. If you read a panic air dodge, you can UThrow someone at 30% and then FSmash them for the win, as an example.

Also, for other basic grab game knowledge, check "Art of Bowser" by Izaw here: https://youtu.be/W3sgCRc13sk

Last edited:
Top Bottom