• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Worse or better?

residentevilrulz

Smash Apprentice
Magnum, you have a typo saying he looks like a dog lol. I'm sure you meant sounds. Idk why they did that. It's A MILLION times better than the way he is in frickin' mario party or any of those kinds of games. He always looks weird and sounds ********. The smash bros Bowser(melee and Brawl) is how I feel he is supposed to look and sound. Realistic, evil, and mean.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
Now that you are analyzing videos.......... what do you think about the fight between gimpy and that pit called defh?.

I saw bowser struggling in that fight because of pit´s quick attacks. Do you think that bowser will continue struggling against fast hitters?.

In that series of fights bowser founf it very difficult to kill pit, even when he was in very high %!.
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzKhxebt6g
Link to given video so everyone's on the same page.

What you are watching is a timing fight between two highly skilled players. Bowser has (sic - had) something of a blindspot directly above and in front of him.

Pit probably had a fair chance to win this round if he wasn't ledgeguarded to an easy kill early on.

He makes excellent use of ranged attacks throughout the fight to pick up extra damage, which is exactly what you need to do to take Bowser out - find a one-way damage source.

As the fight began, Bowser was using Aerial style to manhandle Pit. However, the Pit player rotates tactics quickly and catches on after his first KO..

At this point, Gimpy runs afoul of being repetitive and loses a few steps. He continually shield->Fortresses, which Pit gradually learns to Block/Counter or grab past. He also only uses FAir in the air, neglecting the DAir and Nair, the Klaw, and Fire breath.

And any time you use exactly one move you are asking the enemy to find a way around it.

Up until about 0:55 Bowser is running on total finesse; taking damage but giving more, and scoring all the KOs.

At this point Pit starts tipping at Bowser, and the damage trades become more pronounced although Bowser is still ending up the winner of the exchanges.

1:48. shorrtly after being KOed Pit finds a crack in Gimpy's timing, and it's the first bowser KO. However, Gimpy DOES learn something important from this moment, which we will see later.

When Bowser returns, Pit exploits his DI and intentions to rack a BIG combo. Ouch ouch ouch!
Finally Gimpy starts to mix it up, grabbing. But as he returns to his old moves and misuses a new one or two, he gets KOed again very quickly.

After being KOed Bowser starts looking for power hits to take out the floaty Pit and stays grounded , changing up his tactics quite some. Pit is forced to swap damage again.

2:48. The fight comes down to a standoff. Pit has been psyching Gimpy out again, and he's almost out of leeway. What now?

Bowser predictably whirls and Pit gets out of the way. As Bowser comes back down, Pit threatens with tip shots trying to hold him out. Bowser takes a shot as he lands which Pit blocks -- I criticize Bowser for being predictable here, a Side-B would have gone through that block. Bowser gets grabbed and blocks a bit as Pit continues to float-tap around him.

Pit gets Bowser off the ledge, but Bowser gets up high and recovers, going around the ledge guard. Almost KOed, it comes down to this.

Pit has to recover, ledgeguarding had him off the edge and Bowser has turned the tables a bit... Pit beats Bowser's attempt to Ledge Guard, but eats his standup and has to come back again. He wis the LG again and this time, comes in from above to finish it.

But Gimpy has psyched out this one critical moment of the fight. He rolls back and Smashes the air in front of him - and Pit floats right down into it.

Game, Set.

In conclusion -
Gimpy used a couple techniques a bit repetitively. As a result his play power diminished. When he changed up his moves (Grab, Koopa, Back+A) he tended to catch Pit by surprise but not always (note a Fire breath attempt midmatch )

Pit found a good tactic staying slightly above and in front of Gimpy.
My instincts about this posture say:

1. Block/Grab
2. Dashing A
3. Double jump back and firebreath
4. Hop and Up+A

Gimpy did what he could in the short time he was forced to contend with it. In the end it was his weight and body power that won the match, and that's how it should be.

I would say that Gimpy lost the mindgame war, but his character choice (Bowser) won him the match.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Very interesting read..... so in conclution, bowser this time definitely ca trade blows against speedsters and fasthitters?. It seems than is more a matter of tactics than anything else then.

I would love to see a fight between bowser and sheik.... sheik seems to connect succesive blows even better than in melee... but she struggles to kill and connect different cobos into ko moves..

anyways... her fast htting characteristics are as sharp as ever.

I also hope that bowser will be able to fight anyone.. not like in melee were certain characters had a clear advantage against one of the coolest characters.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wow what are you doing analyzing videos on my first day of playing the full game wtf

i'm trying to play him like i play melee bowser, and thats not how he's played

bowser might be worse because of the diminishing knockback being so big, its harder for him to get kills because of that, but the last couple days my bowser has been doin much better

*shrug*

we all have to learn the game all over again

Takumaru

Smash Lord
i'm trying to play him like i play melee bowser, and thats not how he's played

we all have to learn the game all over again
Then play him like melee kirby. Get 1 stock ahead and go for the suicide kills! >_>

Just ouf of curiosity, gimpy, do you plan on using only bowser again or will you spread out and pick up another character or two? I know you've played with metaknight but do you plan on using more characters in tourney play?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'll use bowser and metaknight probably, maybe ganon....

i dont know

i really like bowser LOL

but metaknight is fresh, how can i resist at the moment right?
haha

MechaBoozer20XX

Smash Journeyman
I like him more. I always thought Bowser should've been really fat and towering in melee, even if he moves like a couch. And the Klaw is the best move ever. Its like a megaultraspectacular D-throw of unescapable power. To put it bluntly I approve of the new Bowser because he now comes with 300% more ****-ability.

e319

Smash Apprentice
I love how big Bowser is, does he have his roar or his voice? I'd prefer his voice as a combination of both...

sahilio

Smash Cadet
bowser is really amazing. I played with him a lot more today. I REALLY like his moveset as well as speed. Of course he is no pit or meta knight in speed, but he hits like a truck.

Since in brawl it is much harder to KO at lower percentages... bowser has a unique upside.
He is able to dish out a lot of damage and KO at around 80% if he lands a good hit. And for characters like pit, it takes a bit longer to KO bowser.

As long as the shield i used and just get those jabs in a bit, bowser can be a strong force to reckon with.

e319

Smash Apprentice
Holy crud, I know this is a little early, but I think Bowser show have no flinch for standard A moves in the next smash bros, I mean, you'd think a guy who can take 3 huge explosions and dips in LAVA could take a punch

PS What do you think the NEXT smash bros game will be called, Smash Bros Massacure?

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
not going to read through this whole thread (long!) but he defiantly seems to have received an upgrade. He seems better, at least to me and my roommates. Maybe even competitive.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
His moves have greater range, less lag, and he is slightly faster. Of course Bowser's better!

WarZ

Smash Apprentice
I think he looks better overall, guess well have to wait and see

RPK

Smash Lord
also that infinite jump using his koopa claw seems like an excellent way to keep him away from people who attempt to grab him and a much better way to move around the stage

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think one of the main things wrong with this topic is people haven't played Bowser in melee on a competitive level, therefore ruining there arguement cause they have no idea what they're talking about.

kellerdood32

Smash Cadet
sorry to burst your bubble but l canceling isn't a glitch they put it in the original and it canceled all lag so in melee they only made it cancel half the lag thus proving it was as you say "intended" and in brawl they took it out. Also brawl does not lack advance techs we just dont know them yet we only know the returning was from melee and to be on topic bowser has gained speed and has very little lag to his moves now so I say definitly better we will have to wait and find out

well your wrong, it was a glitch in SSB 64 they just decided to keep it in melee.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it wasn't a glitch in 64 it wasn't a glitch in melee what the heck is wrong with people

ugh.

KevMastahFlex said:
I think one of the main things wrong with this topic is people haven't played Bowser in melee on a competitive level, therefore ruining there arguement cause they have no idea what they're talking about.
this

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
bowser is very nice my brother was very good with him but not against super quick people like Sheik and Fox but i think he will be better this time i did see the lag in his back air but that is okay compared to his side b and regular b i think bowser will be a force to be reckon with and anyway gimpy dose the best with bowser to me so far....

Eriorguez

Smash Cadet
Let's see: We have the heaviest character in the game, and he no longer is the slowest, but it is as fast as Mario.

That means he is improved, and quite a bit.

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
Let's see: We have the heaviest character in the game, and he no longer is the slowest, but it is as fast as Mario.

That means he is improved, and quite a bit.
I think he's talking about how good the character is. If Bowser ends up being low teir, or mid teir then he hasn't improved at all, but that'll never happen, because I'm maining Bowser. . . . .

What? Don't look at me like that.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
he was never slow at running in melee, where did this misconception come from
People make stupid comments without having played with Bowser enough to back them up with fact. Most people equate large, heavy, laggy character with slow run speed. It may be logical, but it's not right.

*shrugs*

I never gave Bowser a serious shot in Melee, but I'll definitely consider him for Brawl as one of my mains. The pimp shell is way too cool. It's kind of blatantly obvious that Bowser got buffs all around. I don't really understand HOW you could question it.

The better (and more relavent) question is:

Is Bowser better or worse, relative to the rest of the characters?

I doubt such a complicated question could be answered until quite a while after the American release.

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
People make stupid comments without having played with Bowser enough to back them up with fact. Most people equate large, heavy, laggy character with slow run speed. It may be logical, but it's not right.
He may have been talking about Bowsers overall speed, and not his running speed, but either way, I still think he would of been wrong. To me Ness was the slowest character in melee. His recovery was slow, his specials were slow, and it took him forever to recover from his aireals.

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
wha? but i wonder why they didnt add baby bowser i thought he would have been oh well thats off topic i dont like bowsers b ^ he dose not knock back like i thought he would. and i wish they would have speed up his a<> and make them weaker not really weak but ummm yeah i think some one will understand what i mean lol

studgangsta

Smash Cadet
i beat two people who thought they could beat me with fox i beat them!! works for me!! haha BOWSER FOREVER! OH AND THIS was at the san francisco tournament i made it to round 4 top 32!! with bowser!! picking it up for the first time with an awkard control!! thats gotta tell u somethin right? i got a video of me vs metanight in round two if you guys want to see or if u need proof http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYYU7efiJM

Top Bottom