• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Vs. Marth!?? Can it be done?

Kakashi-dono

Smash Cadet
Srry, I doubt it

Well I've tried out bowser for the first time yesterday and I was vsing my friend and he was marth he won 0-3, Is there anyway to Stop Marths madness with Bowser?? If so Please help.
Brotha, im srry, but I doubt that Bowser has any chance winning against Marth 1 on 1.

Probably, u could whip Marth in a match wit items. Otherwise, ur toast!:urg:

I mean, seriously think about it. Bowser has no reaction time, and Marth owns.

Dont get me wrong, yah, Bowser is the King of Koopas and a serious owner in Melee 2.

But, u hav no chance against Marth. Ey! Just a comment.

The name is Kakashi-dono.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i try not to be overly aggressive with marth..but even so properly spaced fairs can't be shieldgrabbed...so why worry about approaching with a fair or even a proplerly spaced nair on most people..plus if you do it low on the shield you can roll afterwards in time..

i mean i'm not saying be blindly aggressive..if you get predictable you get punished..but in most matchups there's nothing wrong with approaching with a wellspaced fair..even on a shield

Koopa Soldier

Smash Rookie
Hi all, get ready for some Bowser vs Marth advices! And yes it CAN be done.

But first of all I'll like to introduce myself cause I'm new here on smashboards! Although I may be new to the boards I have been playing smashbro titles for as long as it's been out. I play bowser as main and have gained alot of help over the years from all the bowser players who shares their wisdom especially Gimpyfish, dude I respect you alot man for pulling for all us Bowser players. Well lets get started.

It cracks me up when people thinks some characters are unbeatable, sure it may be a harder lineup initialy, but the truth is every character CAN and WAS designed to be able to defeat any other characters. Nothing is imposible.

Hears a series of questions to ask yourself: (Seriously!)
1. Have you ever had a match that you got defeated patheticly over and over?
2. Have you ever rematched and just stood there to see what your opponent will do?
3. Have you ever taken the time to think... what if I had only did this or that instead of what I normaly do?

If you answer yes to ONLY number 1 then you're just a pathetic Bowser player. Tough luck.
If you answer yes to ONLY 1 and 2 then you tried but not hard enough.
If you answer yes to ALL 3 then you're on to something here! hahaha!

The way I see it, this game is all about timing. There are 2 very important factors.

(A) WHAT to do
(B) WHEN to do it

You just have to time it right and you win reguardless which character you or your opponent choose. This is VERY similar to analysing a boxing match if you get what I mean. ;)

Real problem in this game is learning curve, some character are way to easy to pick up (higher tiers) and some are almost imposible for most people to comprehend (lower tiers). It just takes longer master some characters than others that's all.

Ok enough of this.. ADVICE TIME! These are my personal experienced skills so try it out befor bashing me plz.

--

-Use D-Air!-
Yes this move actually has a use for god sake. You must L-cancel this move or get punished! The L-canceling of this move is actually very hard to learn so practice alot because it's timing is different if you hit a target or miss and hit only the floor.

Best way to D-Air:
Jump ONCE, tilt the C-stick Down and aim with the joystick because the opponent may be moving and you want to get as close as possible. L-cancel and Block immideately. If you hit successfully Marth will be nocked back a certain distance and can do 1 of 3 things.

1. Marth Smashs at you - Your shield should block the Smash. While holding the block, short-hop and do Koopa Klaw/F-Air, make sure you bite him once and throw forward for more damage.

2. Marth Rolls away or at you - If Marth rolls away he's smart! Just forget him. If Marth rolls at you do a Fortress.

3. Marth tries to Grabs you - You'll see it comming, just do a Fortress it's fast enough.

Bowser's D-Air can acutally mess up the opponent's flow, but like all moves, don't abuse it too much. This is also a good way to throw off your opponent every now and then.

--

- Fight at YOUR pace!-
You have to fight at your pace and not your opponent's. If you fight Marth dont try to keep up with him he's way too fast, instead you should try to slow him down to YOUR pace. The way I do that is by grabing the fool!

Always grab your opponent if you can because Bowser's grabs does good damage. Always try to land headbutts you'll have to learn the timming on this if you haven't gotten it down yet. The opponent's % points also determinds how many hits you can get in befor loosing grip. 1 Headbutt near 0%, 2 Headbutts near 50% and 3 or more near 100%.

Ways to Grab Marth:
Best way is to Shield-Grab the sucker. Purposely Run/Dash up to the fool and block right in front of him. Most case he'll just Hit you and there goes your chance!

Throwing the fool:
Almost always use the D-Grab on Marth and ofcourse after bashing your head into him a few times, but beware of players who know's how to escape grabs by button smashing! After throwing him he cand do 1 of 3 things.

1. Marth lays there and do nothing or recover and attack - In this case use your Firebreath!

2. Marth Tecs and Rolls at you - Use Firebreath!

3. Marth Tecs and Rolls away - Chase and grab him again! Repeat... but alternate.

Grabing alows you to set the pace because instead of Marth focusing on attacking wildly like he usual does he's stuck getting headbutted and trying to recover off the ground. This slows down the flow and may fustrate the player. Eventually you'll throw him off the ledge and follow with an F-Air or somthing hehe.. If you're good at grabing and grab often they'll think twice about rushing too much and slow down a bit. :laugh:

--

- Dash-Fortress-
You purposely Run/Dash at the opponent just to do a Fortress. This move is actually very supprising because it's actually pretty darn fast! Also used for a KO move. Make sure you move away from the opponent after hitting, you dont want to get counter hit.

You can also Shield-Fortress after getting close if you know the opponent's going to hit you. Normaly I'd Dash-Shield-Fortress if my opponent is in the air and I know they're going to counter if I rush at them.

--

Well that's my 2 cents for now, against Marth anyways. This is just some things that I though was not covered too much, everything else like timing F-Air or what not you can learn from Gimpyfish and all the rest at youtube or somthing.

But really everything is up to a person's timing!!!! Just think about it, if you know what you're opponent is going to do ahead of time can you still loose?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've been meaning to post in this thread for the longest time; I just haven't gotten around to it. There probably won't be a lot said, but here goes what I'm thinking when I just wake up.

In general, this matchup really isn't -that- bad. Now, hold on; before you flame me for saying something so blasphemous, I have to say that I have never beaten a top-tier Marth with Bowser (although I could try and brag all day that my Bowser was only two-stocked in both matches with M2K's Marth in pools at Pound 2, that wouldn't be smart nor a viable reason to brag, IMO). Defensive Marths really are much, much harder, but a lot of Marths in general aren't bright enough to realize that shuffling F-Airs isn't an invincible tactic.

Here are the things I try to keep to when I'm playing Marths:

Keep in motion. Honestly, this goes for almost any matchup, but it's vital when your opponent has a faster movement and attack speed as Marth or Fox does. If you can't do that, you'll most likely be easy pickings for their comboes.

This also ties in with dodging attacks; you can't be predictable, and you can't be slow to react. A lot of times, you need to create match momentum for yourself; if he misses a grab (or, Lord Boozer forbid, an F-Smash), this is when Marth is most vulnerable. Try to keep it so that he loses the "invincibility" of having all his attacks at his disposal. This can be done in a few different ways, but either flooring him or sending him into the air would be the most effective.

In being unpredictable, I mean don't spam tactics. That goes for any tactic at all; dash-dancing, CC'ing, even camping a platform (which I think Bowser can do fairly well against most characters, actually). Bowser has a lot more than the Up-B going for him, whether people honestly think so or not.

While I'm not saying use it very often (practically the opposite, actually), if I'm not mistaken, a dash attack will clank with a sword strike. Depending on where you are when you clank, you can attack accordingly afterwards, such as a roll (yes, a roll, if you're still far away from him) or an Up-B. While this really isn't all that promising, if your dash attack actually lands, he'll be hit into the air, which limits his options, despite it being somewhere that Marth really shines. Once again, don't do it often, or they'll see it coming and shield-grab, or better yet, CC into a nasty combo.

I'm not going to say "use Flame Breath, lol", because if you don't know what you're doing, you're punished horribly for it. It has uses, but they're really rather situational, even with Flame Cancelling, and I find that it only works against someone that's at least fairly ignorant of Bowser's repetoire in general.

Throwing is a great way to gain "momentum" for yourself; D-Throw tech-chasing might not be a very viable option for that (he's a floaty; if I'm not mistaken, he can DI and not hit the ground), but since he'd be forced to use his double jump in that regard, he's still rather limited in his attacks that way, and that can be taken advantage of. The B-Throw to F-Air "combo" tends to work for me, simply because the uneducated don't see Bowser as being able to catch them in the air so quickly after that. That aside, I've found that a lot of Marths just get reluctant whenever they've lost their full plethora of moves; they try to regain footing and composure before they can attack as fluidly as before (as in, feet planted on the ground, with all their options), and Marths tend to only like to play fluidly. This is, for the most part, how I envision myself taking advantage of Marth.

If they're going to be idiots and spam shuffled F-Airs, then shield into Up-B or grab (depending on where they are when they land) works well enough to stop that.

Taking quick advantage of him involves good spacing, though; if it's a smart Marth, he's not going to try to give you a lot of space to hit him in-between his moves. You have to be very alert, both in trying to look for an opening, and obviously in not being hit by moves in the first place in order to have a chance at taking advantage of his misses.

If you can't keep that spacing up, then all the stuff I just said is practically for naught, unless they're just not a good Marth. It's imperative that you know what you're doing with that.

(Hmm...I've just realized that a lot of this seems like a predict-and-counter strategy, which is what I'm used to. Let's see, what can I say for attacking in general?...Or can someone cover that for me? I'm not running off of a lot of sleep, XD...)

Like I've already said, don't spam anything; you can't afford to get predictable in this matchup. That being said, some of Bowser's aerials (F-Air, B-Air, and N-Air, mostly; U-Air if your opponent is uneducated in the ways of its hitboxes) and Up-B are used often in most cases for a reason.

Uh...I've done that falling through platforms into B-Airs every now and again is a good alternative to Up-B'ing off to reduce its lag. If they chase after you on the platform (and aren't directly beneath you, duh), people can hard a hard time seeing it coming.

While it may sound idiotic (and at times, really is), try to make it so that you only get hit by aerials at high percentage. Marth will have a really tough time killing you if you make it so he can't hit you in any other way.

And, seriously, light-shielding at the edge while holding the Control Stick towards the edge is a no-brainer; it's not often that sliding to the edge that way will be your best edgeguarding tactic.

I don't expect what I said to be a cure-all for this matchup by any means, but I do hope that it helps and is accurate, even a little. I don't have a whole lot of Bowser vs. Marth experience, but this is how I approach the matchup nonetheless. Let me know if you disagree with any of it; I'd like to learn as well as everyone else.

Koopa Soldier

Smash Rookie
I happen to have alot of Bowser vs Marth experience because most the players I face plays him. After a long history of getting bashed nonsense left to right and I mean it was hellish, they would 3 stocked me like it's nothing plenty of times. Then I found my key to opening up the door to victory and it's by grabbing and setting up my pace. Seriously you dont need alot of fancy moves you just need to time yourself and make clear moves. When my opponents caught on to my tactics I learned to use the D-Air to change things up a bit.

The point is I've been winning against plenty of Marths and this is what I'm doing and I'm sharing it. Maybe this style isn't for everybody but I play a very Defensive-Offensive Bowser, my goal is to start damage with grabbing attacks then edge guarding after. I block alot rather than wavedash, actually the only time I wavedash it's to do a Smash, F-tilt, U-tilt or grab otherwise I'd Dash/Run like normal or walk. Walking is actually very good for bowser.

Slowly walking backwards and timing an F-Smash is not bad for those of you who want an alternative to the Reverse-Bowser-Train.

I'd appreciate if you try these things out befor saying otherwise.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
well, the best thing you can do issss, miand game and ftilt, shield grab, and mind game alooooot.
have u seen a video about a bowser beating up a falco?.
look for it i dont remember the name of the video or what people were in it, but look for it, watch it and, ull think`` i maybe can do this vs that fre@king marth´´.

when i watched it i started using bowser a lil.

u gotta have becarful with marths grabs and fsmash, so fking bothering.. and try to analyze yourself and see whats happening, why are you losing the game and because of what hits. and look for a counter or something of more priority. Nair in the air could be useful, try that..

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
its a broken matchup but chances that a good marth against a good bowser will win are higher than a good bowser winning against a good marth but it still is possible for sho -.-

i mean ive recently watched some vids of Gimpy and on the vid Gimpy vs. Eggz 3 Gimpy almost wins against Eggz as a marth so its actually possible >_>

but if ur a hopeless one who thinks Bowser vs. Marth (IMPOSSIBLE FOR BOOZER TO WIN) then youre helpless -_-

i mean i know that Mario has more chances to win against marth... but
my friend who is the Leader of my Crew uses Marth and i still fight with Mario coz i know it is possible for me to win...k

you cant really compare but.... argh... i DUNNO!!!! D= JUST USE MINDGAMES ARGH!!!!.... dude this is killing me... >_>

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, what works with me, -but again, this may be because the people I play against are inexperienced- is to jump forward to meet marth in mid air, when i can predict that hes goint to fair. I get ready to fair him (wich is impossible ebcause there's this very painful sword of cold, unfeeling steel, being swinged forward at the time), and then i jump again, backwards. Just when the sword is out of the way, I hit him with a fair. Bowser is heavy enough to make the second jump fall into the position teh first was in, rather easily.

I'm not sure if Marth has time to jump again and do a second fair of his own before you get yours in. I have never faced such a turn of events.

It's not the tactic that will win you the match, but hey, If you manage to hit a fair, thats one more nail in their coffin.

Koopa Soldier

Smash Rookie
huh? what are u talking about?
Im talking about seeing through your opponent's moves. If you can predict your opponent's actions would you still loose? If everything was moving slow enough and you have the time to think, what would you do differently?

Marth and all them higher tiers are just another character and the players behind them are still just humans, you guys making me loose faith with so many negativaties. :(

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Koopa.. you really like, are spitting out a lot of things that are wrong though.. thats the only problem, you have to face decent players before you can help with a match-up..

If i was just fighting a "friend" and they beat me but i got better, doesn't mean i have the experience in the match-up, it means i adjusted to one person.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
I find Roy more annoying than Marth when I'm Bowser. That is because when you SHFFL with Roy he tends to closer to the ground than Marth does. Plus Roy smashes are stronger than Marth's sure he maybe outranged and all. But I find Roy more annoying because his ground game is better. Marth is all about juggling and chain grabs. Roy is more about a power game and racking up damage quickly.

Just a thought. =P

Top Bottom