• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser VS DDD and METAKNIGHT

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
some of my most hated chars. HOW DO I BEAT THEM?!?!?
in return, a surprise

3GOD

Smash Ace
some of my most hated chars. HOW DO I BEAT THEM?!?!?
in return, a surprise
For King Dedede, you cannot beat him if the player knows how to infinite grab well. The infinite grab is an impossibly large advantage - so large that it cannot be overcome.

For Meta Knight, use a lot of Ftilt when he's grounded to keep him at bay. If he tries to roll inside, you can Jab, Fortress, or Dsmash if you're feeling brave. If he tries to approach from the air, do a retreating Fair. Usmash is good if he gets above you/on a platform. I don't know how to edgeguard Meta Knight - probably best not to try. I honestly think this is one of Bowser's better matchups against High Tier characters.

gantrain05

Smash Master
well im going to pretend to ignore the infinite chain grab because any respectable player wouldn't resort to cheap tactics, me and my friend have had many bowser vs DDD matchups and bowser usually comes out the winner, Ftilt is a great weapon, its fairly quick and very decent knockback, and when DDD is going to recover and he uses that UpB all you gotta do is see where he's going and meet him with an Uair and he's toast, as for meta, if your playing on final D you are dead, go for a level with platforms and try to keep him above you since most of metas kill moves are either his Dsmash or shuttle loop which he cant hit you with either while he's above.

3GOD

Smash Ace
well im going to pretend to ignore the infinite chain grab because any respectable player wouldn't resort to cheap tactics...
I consider myself a respectable player, and I certainly would use the infinite especially if there were money on the line.

One thing I forgot to mention about Meta Knight - if you're above him and he jumps up toward you, the Bowser Bomb can often stall you out of his attack range and counter attack for the KO at 60-70%. Don't ever try to Bowser Bomb someone who is on the ground though.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
Kevin, thanks for the thread, and everyone else thanks for the tips. I may be wrong, but is Bowser 100% about spacing? for instance, a bad bowser spacer is a bad bowser player?

gantrain05

Smash Master
im just sayin, you might win the tourney with the infinites, but alot of people arent really going to respect that kind of gameplay, i play with alot of smashers and when ppl do things like that everyone kinda thinks its just a cheap win and well im just sayin, i've seen it happen alot at tourneys and its fine, but you just lose my respect

Buuman

Smash Ace
gantrain, honestly I don't care, I can use any other char and probably do just as well..it depends..but if theres money involved..I'm sure u'd do the same

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
lets just say for the sake of this thread that the DDD doesnt do the infinite grab.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Is there no hope it could be banned?
I mean he still has his chaingrab, and that's like 20-35% depending on the stage, plus he still has it against stages with walls like Delfino.
It just seems to big to not do anything about.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
but its not that hard to avoid on stages like delfino. all u really have to do is stay away from those areas. and yes it is as easy as it sounds

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
Lets just assume in a matchup discussion that one character won't use his zero to death combo on the other? lol as of know CGing is widely accepted even when it's infinite. We might as well discuss this matchup assuming DDD doesn't use >B or ftilt, or not discuss this matchup at all. DDD is such a bad matchup for Bowser I personally wouldn't even try it. DDD camps Bowser, owns him in the air, and outranges him on the ground. Now throw in DDD's insane grab range and infinite CG. You could try approaching with sh flame or ftilt except that his waddles and ftilt shut that down. You could try sh fair except that he can shield grab you in his sleep. In other words, he can camp you and you can't approach him. There is basically nothing you can do against a competent DDD. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems pretty hopeless to me.

KevinM's right. Let's keep this in the Mathcup thread. (Me? A hypocrite? How dare you!)

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
but kevins mathcup thread has yet to go into into some chars like metaknight and DDD. ok lets forget DDD in this discussion. what can i do against a metaknight?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
He means to start asking about them in the mathcup thread. Probably get better results there.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
Idizzy/BoO beat one of socals best marth players last weekend at a tournament in san diego and placed 5th using bowser. Its all in the players mindset homie

bLeAkWuN

Smash Cadet
For DDD, spam the Side B and Flame....keep him away....if he rushes in, SH in place and Nair...if he projectiles alot nd tries to pull you in with that...just jump over them nd flame in....hold down when u flame so it covers your lower area...DDD's are really tough for bowser...

nd for MK, try to perfect sheild attacks with a sheild grab hit until he lets go, nd side B..its a good combo...unless he jumps out of ur grab, then stick to Bairs for metaknight... nd when he tries to attack nd retreat, just flame him with a backwards SH...metaknight is a good character but dont play into the players Bullcrap...just stay steady nd wait...unless he spams tornado....dash back nd forth to keep him guessing when ur gonna land an attack....

the character i have trouble with is G&W...now he is ****ing hard to beat...lolz

nd ppl, bowser is actually really good defensively, u just have to work with him...alot of work...but it pays in the end

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
For King Dedede, you cannot beat him if the player knows how to infinite grab well. The infinite grab is an impossibly large advantage - so large that it cannot be overcome.
You know I was playing Dedede the other day and he tried this on me and I was able to fortress out of it every time spamming up+B once I caught on. Is he not doing it right? I've never seen a Dedede able to do this to me without getting hit by the fortress.

gantrain05

Smash Master
You know I was playing Dedede the other day and he tried this on me and I was able to fortress out of it every time spamming up+B once I caught on. Is he not doing it right? I've never seen a Dedede able to do this to me without getting hit by the fortress.
i've had the same experience as you, DDD cannot grab the fortress and u can get it to come out instantly after the grab release.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
Originally Posted by Nitros14
I'm afraid he's just not doing it right. Properly executed, DDD's infinite CG is inescapable. The only saving grace is that I don't think most DDD's are exactly sweating bullets about the DDD vs. Bowser matchup, so perfecting their infinite CG on Bowser is probably not that high on their priority list. Still, if you try performing the infinite on Bowser in training mode, you'll see that it wouldn't take an unreasonable amount of effort to learn, so I wouldn't bet too much on your DDD opponents not being able to infinite you. Even without the infinite, Bowser vs. DDD is an awful matchup. Pressure him because he can camp and it's hard to get close, not to mention Bowser's actually a lot faster than DDD. Pressuring him, however, while perhaps your best option, is still very risky due to the fact that DDD has such a good grab (which leads to at least CG, more likely infinite). As much as I like DDD, the fact that he screws up 5 characters at a competitive level so badly SUX BAWLZ:ohwell:

Fortunately, MK is not nearly so bad a matchup. You just have to play really REALLY carefully. The advantage you have against MK is that Bowser's strength lies in his defense and MK has no ranged capabilities. If he tries approaching you on the ground, ftilt will go through anything (including that pain in the *** mach tornado) but drill rush or whatever it's called. DR isn't exactly an effective approach anyways. If he tries approaching from the air, just stay as defensive as you possibly can - abuse fortress out of shield. Also, when he's got you in the air, Bowser bombing can be a nasty surprise for MK. You can KO MK at pretty low %'s with it and hopefully make him a little more cautious in the air. Bomb to ledge grab is also a good way to get back to the ground, which is generally a good place to be in this matchup. I personally think that MK is Bowser's easiest matchup against a high tier character, though largely because the other high tier matchups are Snake, DDD, G&W, Olimar, TL, and whatever good characters I'm forgetting about. Next to those, MK is practically a walk in the park.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Bowser does quite well against metaknight, I'd even consider bowser as a counter pick for meta. Bowser out reaches and out prioritizes metaknight's attacks on the ground and in the air. Meta is really light and bowser can ko him really quickly. Ftilt and fair are your friends, if you notice meta doing his fair too much, read him and counter with a fsmash, bowser's backstep will keep you safe and own meta at 70%.

Top Bottom