• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Videos thread

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
If it's not worth a write up just tell or pm me, I like closure.

haha you're hilarious man. my bad, been AFK cause I've been finishing a Master's Thesis. Turning it in this Friday though! If you don't get your writeup (next) weekend PM the mods to have my account banned, I like closure too :p

NINJA EDIT! I'm officially the worst haha, I'll get to it this weekend, I wanna review a bunch of vids if I can. yes this weekend to try and be not the worst person ever :). And thanks for patience/understanding :DDD

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I see, good to hear you're not dead either :p no need for mod interference, I'll be patient haha. Good luck!

Zohup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zohupy
Hey there, I just noticed now that there was a Video Thread on this board, so I'll post my combo video here.

Pompous Prodigy: A Ludwig Von Koopa's Combo Video

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Nice Pika match, I was gonna give advice but I'm pretty sure you're better than I am.
On your first match, last life I did notice you were playing odd, I feel you were fishing for a finish so you didn't defend normally. in the third match in similar circumstances, you played much better (pika did super well blocking all those up smashes).

Last edited:

Nagalfar

Smash Rookie

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
This is me vs. an online shulk.
Audio is awful, but Video was (accidentally) really good if you can handle a little shake.
Uploaded for maybe some match up help, but If anyone wants to give advice or criticize I'd appreciate it.

Hey man, I'm a graduated and soon to be employed man, now I have all the time to do these write-ups. Sorry for the super long delay. But here is my write-up.

First Video:

@ opening: laying a mecha from the very start is always risky but a less risky method is to reverse lay it so it walks toward the edge so that if the enemy hits you, your mecha may turn and hit them back with the potential for a fair combo (20% from fair combo may out damge the punish they do on you for laying a mecha)

@ 1:23 you did a nice fake approach here to bait out an usmash. Then you punished well with a bair

@1:18, 2:28, and 2:48. You do down throws but I don't see the point, it doesn't set them up for anything further and it's inferior in damage (7% compared to 12% of bthrow). I totally get it's fun to drill people but in general you should back throw or fthrow for better damage and equally ehhh, position advantage. also in 2:48 shulk had the bonus damage monado, you should DEFINITELY bthrow in that instance.

@1:51: you shielded the get up attack and should have punished with usmash oos or grab. instead you rolled away and didn't get the punish. That was most likely an input error but that's the major difference between pros and less-than-pros, the recognition and execution of punish opportunities and choosing the optimal punish for each situation you have an opportunity. It just takes practice, but the more you punish instead of roll away the more you improve dramatically.

@2:33: You should be doing dair after the kart hit at that percent. then follow the dair with bair, fair, or dash attack (whichever you prefer really).

@3:11: This was the perfect percent to do the Side B to Up B hammer kill combo. he would have died for sure.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
This is me vs. an online shulk.
Audio is awful, but Video was (accidentally) really good if you can handle a little shake.
Uploaded for maybe some match up help, but If anyone wants to give advice or criticize I'd appreciate it.
Okay second video here we go.

@ 20: that was an opportunity for an uair string for big dmg following the kart hit. low % use dair, higher percent, uair, Kill percent use Up B hammer, and past kill percent use uair again.

@ 32: Nice tricky offstage movement

@1:13: That was an opportunity for the up b hammer kill combo

@2:02 You could have shielded his hit, grabbed him and had the walking mecha blow up on him for big damage

@ 2:33 and 2:37 very nice mecha placement, makes for good ledge pressure

@ 5:00 that should have been an usmash for the kill, NOT a grab. Most times you can grab you can usmash instead (grab is 12 frames, usmash is 7) so learn to recognize when one is much better to use over the other for a punish (basiclaly when they hit 100 try and use usmash in place of grab punishes if they are in lag).

@ 5:06 I really like this turn around z drop maneuver, imma steal this XD

@ 6:20 good hit with the uair (you're prtety good at that move) but you could have foolowed it into a uair>bair or fair combo. he was at the right percent I believe for it to true combo utilt into uair.

@ 9:11 This should have been an usmash, not a roll. I addressed rolling away instead of punishing in the previous post.

Good jr. you got! Hope you didn't die waiting for a writeup lol but here ya go.

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
I might as well post mine as well. Those are from a recent tournament in France where I managed to get 3rd place. no english commentary though, sorry.

Winner's Round 3, vs Phogos (DDK)
Winner's Semi, vs Kesa (Falcon)
Winner's Finals, vs Glutonny (Falcon / Wario)
Loser's Finals, vs Phogos (DDK)

And I guess I can also post one of my sets against @Vex Kasrani on Smashladder that he uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2kIWdni0iU

Hope you enjoy it !

Thanks for posting Nagalfar, I learn a lot from your vids, we have similiar Jr's. You are my European Jr. counterpart. In Brawl my European counterpart was Bart AKA S1-14 since I was a Ness main.

For everyone else, here are two vids from a tournament I attended In Los Angeles a few weeks ago. I got 4th place out of 36 and only lost to people who are ranked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ7CETwT7Wo

This is vs Alb, he was going villager.

I want to point out that at 4:11 I used the slow kart tech in that if I had hit him with a fast kart that combo would have sent him too high for the followup hammer to connect.

This second video is vs Rich Brown and he went Olimar/Villager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvh53dg_QLU

Hope you enjoy, sorry for the hiatus but I will be more active here now due to my recent graduation/ soon to be employment lol. Screw you forever homework, done with that.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Okay second video here we go.

@ 20: that was an opportunity for an uair string for big dmg following the kart hit. low % use dair, higher percent, uair, Kill percent use Up B hammer, and past kill percent use uair again.

@ 32: Nice tricky offstage movement

@1:13: That was an opportunity for the up b hammer kill combo

@2:02 You could have shielded his hit, grabbed him and had the walking mecha blow up on him for big damage

@ 2:33 and 2:37 very nice mecha placement, makes for good ledge pressure

@ 5:00 that should have been an usmash for the kill, NOT a grab. Most times you can grab you can usmash instead (grab is 12 frames, usmash is 7) so learn to recognize when one is much better to use over the other for a punish (basiclaly when they hit 100 try and use usmash in place of grab punishes if they are in lag).

@ 5:06 I really like this turn around z drop maneuver, imma steal this XD

@ 6:20 good hit with the uair (you're prtety good at that move) but you could have foolowed it into a uair>bair or fair combo. he was at the right percent I believe for it to true combo utilt into uair.

@ 9:11 This should have been an usmash, not a roll. I addressed rolling away instead of punishing in the previous post.

Good jr. you got! Hope you didn't die waiting for a writeup lol but here ya go.
Thanks a lot for the write up! I think the D-throw probably bled from all my diddy use, I'll keep a closer eye if i haven't fixed that.
the U-smash>grab is very eyeopening, thanks.
P.S. I'm so excited for the youtube uploader so this all becomes easier.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So I wanna do a montage video featuring Lemmy but I don't have a capture card... anyone here wanna lend a hand?

I could try posting some videos though, but dunno who to go for to send them so they can be posted. Hmmm.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Might wanna try in a more general thread. This place isn't too active, but I'm sure there's someone on smashboards.com willing to do a favor.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Anyone completely understand why at 3:55 diddy got hit by the MK without it blowing up?
also nice video, You do very well with Iggy's Hammer.

Last edited:

Mex_Oli

Smash Rookie
Anyone completely understand why at 3:55 diddy got hit by the MK without it blowing up?
also nice video, You do very well with Iggy's Hammer.
Thanks bro :D I love that hammer xD

Because the hitbox activate only the first hitstun, without objetive clear to the mechakoopa, then the mechakoopa chage to left to right, activating it again but now the mechakoopa found objetive, and then blow up and at the same time the ball hit diddy xDDDD was funny.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Hmm first hitstun? Are there multiple hits needed to cause the pop-up to explosion? I figured any hurtbox it notices (daddy's hand in the first case) and damages it should cause the mechakoopa to pop.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
This second video is vs Rich Brown and he went Olimar/Villager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvh53dg_QLU

Hope you enjoy, sorry for the hiatus but I will be more active here now due to my recent graduation/ soon to be employment lol. Screw you forever homework, done with that.
This video is perfect proof of how difficult the olimar matchup is. You didn't really make any serious misplays and you had to rely on him screwing up (ie; stagespike, weird/bad getup options). Props for how you played the matchup, it's absolute garbage. Not making excuses for you obviously, you and I both know there's always room for improvement, just saying I understand the struggle.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
This video is perfect proof of how difficult the olimar matchup is. You didn't really make any serious misplays and you had to rely on him screwing up (ie; stagespike, weird/bad getup options). Props for how you played the matchup, it's absolute garbage. Not making excuses for you obviously, you and I both know there's always room for improvement, just saying I understand the struggle.
Thanks moose, at the end it was my fault though, I went for a gimmick instead of a recovery last stock (I was trying to hit him with hammer and he punished me with dsmash, he did not get the 1 frame). Going for gimmicks on last stock vs good players is a bad idea. It is a relaly hard matchup for sure. I beat a olimar named angbad that I'll have the video up for soon and I think I played that match better. Olimar is tricky cause we have to camp for an opening but openings are so hard to come by.

Weruop

Smash Ace
https://youtu.be/x6c6OPXToLU
1:41:00 is when the grand finals set begins. This is from a local up in Washington of about 40 something people. Fought a Sheik and had a bracket reset and then it went to the 5th match of the second set. Was about a month and a half ago. Any pointers are comments appreciated.

The video that follows is the one on the side that reads 3/3, as the tournament was split into 3 long videos

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Hey Weruop! didn't know you moved on to Jr., is he your main now? We haven't played since I did my gannon vs your villager on For Glory wifi lol. I don't have time right now to watch your vids but I will watch and make comments on your videos soon if you would like! I'm posting the two new tournament videos I have right now real quick.

1. Me Vs Angbad (Olimar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4e-z-T0XzU

2. Me vs K9 (sheik)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4aPH8IR0k

any and all comments/advice welcome!

Weruop

Smash Ace
Hey Weruop! didn't know you moved on to Jr., is he your main now? We haven't played since I did my gannon vs your villager on For Glory wifi lol. I don't have time right now to watch your vids but I will watch and make comments on your videos soon if you would like! I'm posting the two new tournament videos I have right now real quick.

1. Me Vs Angbad (Olimar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4e-z-T0XzU

2. Me vs K9 (sheik)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4aPH8IR0k

any and all comments/advice welcome!
Hey vicegrip! :) Yes since the WiiU I put my time almost exclusively into him, practicing on for glory and someeetimes in person w a friend or two. I'll check ur videos too :)

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0oduoMcSo4

Me VS M2K, I would appreciate tips to improve my neutral, I really think i could have won this set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpgjAKsl1Q

Me + Moosebones vs M2K + Ally, double bjr is super chaotic, i think bjr honestly isn't a very good team character because mechakoopas and up bs mess with your teammate so often
M2K really had you with those Uairs
in the second match's fireball spam, I might of tried mech and cannon, so he would only cape one, just to get hime to do something new, he really wanted you to get in the air again.
I'm sure you knew but just in case, watch the percent when you get a koopa kart hit, 0~15% you want to dair or nair i think.
and that last hit, since he had you for a lot of the aerial game you might try to get more grounded since you only could've hit him with dair or a well spaced fair/nair.
Hope I help and tell me if I'm full of it ;)

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0oduoMcSo4

Me VS M2K, I would appreciate tips to improve my neutral, I really think i could have won this set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpgjAKsl1Q

Me + Moosebones vs M2K + Ally, double bjr is super chaotic, i think bjr honestly isn't a very good team character because mechakoopas and up bs mess with your teammate so often
nice videos! I think you could use more of Uptilt, UAir and be more "unpredicable", since you were pretty predicable on some points

the teamwork of yours were bad, you 2 were all over the place without any teamwork. I would say to work more on the teamwork of yours first

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Hey vicegrip! :) Yes since the WiiU I put my time almost exclusively into him, practicing on for glory and someeetimes in person w a friend or two. I'll check ur videos too :)

Hey Weroup! that's awesome you're a Jr. main. No love for smash 4 Oli then? I watched your set, very good jr! you use mechas very similarly to how I use them. Pointers I have for you is that one time you grab released sheik into a mecha koopa walking by, you followed it up perfectly with an uair, however you could have closed the stock with an up B (this was at 1:59:19). That setup at that percent works to connect with the back hit up up B hammer as well. Also anytime someone dash attacks your shield usmash OOS is a good way to punish (same thing for when you spot dodge an attack, usmash is oftentimes your fastest punish since it is 7 frames and grab is 12). Keep in mind that since usmash is faster than dash grab, when someone is in lag and they are in kill percent, anytime yu can grab someone, you can also usmash them, just choose which option is best based on percent. I noticed that the sheik was doing a lot of getups from ledge for free, you usmashed her one time but it was not at a kill percent. I would recommend saving usmash for a ledge getup when they are in kill % and not using it too much before then so they can feel safe doing that option. If you end up punishing their ledge getups effectively they will either start to roll getup, or jump getup. If you predict a jump you can either usmash or fair, if you think they'll roll usmash, dsmash, or fsmash their roll. One final thing is I like how you use cannon in general, however if you have no mecha out and you are just using it while they are on ledge I don't think it's putting in much work in those situations. awesome set!

One last thing! @ 9:35 in the second video you could have closed out her stock with the kart>up B hammer combo, she was at the perfect percent to die from it based on your rage.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
okay, I was at Närcons Smash4 tourny single there I ended top8 but I needed to leave cause needed to catch the last bus and many players (including the judges and the maker of the tourny) said I would either end up in the finale or take home the tourny! yet I never losed a match in a set

the tourny itself had a Wii U as a stream while other was offline so all my matches werent recorded and the streamed is only on twitch and not on youtube!

http://www.twitch.tv/narcon/v/8535708

at 14:09 Me Vs Raval (Yoshi)

at 2:42:19 Me Vs Hjältman (Roy/Mario)

any critism? 'w'

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
My pal Hooded just did a match commentary against Tweek. Though he is a Ryu main he covers a lot of BJ's strengths and how to deal with him and such. The commentary is mostly in regards to Ryu though so just keep your ears open.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, I have a couple videos from a local tournament I wanted to share. here you go! I got 2nd out of 20 and lost to I'mHip, a really good olimar player that knows how to handle the mechs super well. Oli such a hard matchup for Jr. lol, I need to figure out a more reliable way to get white pikmin off my face. Lots of good videos in this bunch though.

1. Vs Nimbus (Falcon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KELe-UzI49A

2. Vs Genwunist (Falcon/Falco) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1p-iuxJ0Lk

3. Vs Falafel (Villager, winners semis) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhKReoSF5U

4. Vs Uli (Wario, winners finals) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxT9hGyhEC0

5. Vs I'mHip (Olimar, grand finals) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJEDMqrzBg

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Hey guys, I have a couple videos from a local tournament I wanted to share. here you go! I got 2nd out of 20 and lost to I'mHip, a really good olimar player that knows how to handle the mechs super well. Oli such a hard matchup for Jr. lol, I need to figure out a more reliable way to get white pikmin off my face. Lots of good videos in this bunch though.

3. Vs Falafel (Villager, winners semis) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhKReoSF5U

watched the videos, I found it really hard to battle against Villager and Wario but you destroyed them with ease o: I took inspiration of your matches, especially against those 2

also, that beautiful win with your Cart Spin SideB on falco <3

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones

Oli is a brutal MU, but since I've started playing him I've noticed a few things.

If you get him offstage there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to close out a stock. Up B is definitely a good edgeguard tool vs him but you can go way deeper to secure the kill. All of bjr's aerials offstage are 100% safe against Olimar and you can essentially put him in a wall tech loop until he misses the tech (and you get the spike) if you can't outright kill him with fair/bair. You seem to prioritize setting up stage control over hyper aggressive offstage game, and while that may make sense vs a lot of characters, it doesn't vs Olimar. Be risky, read an airdodge, get a kill at 80%.

Other than Hip it didn't really look like you had any competition in that tournament.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Oli is a brutal MU, but since I've started playing him I've noticed a few things.

If you get him offstage there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to close out a stock. Up B is definitely a good edgeguard tool vs him but you can go way deeper to secure the kill. All of bjr's aerials offstage are 100% safe against Olimar and you can essentially put him in a wall tech loop until he misses the tech (and you get the spike) if you can't outright kill him with fair/bair. You seem to prioritize setting up stage control over hyper aggressive offstage game, and while that may make sense vs a lot of characters, it doesn't vs Olimar. Be risky, read an airdodge, get a kill at 80%.

Other than Hip it didn't really look like you had any competition in that tournament.

I can see that against oli, offstage kills are some of my kills I've gotten when I beat Olimars out here. Setting up a mech for that ledge pressure game is just what I'm used to doing (it's where a lot of my damage/read kills come from in most matchups) but I will take your advice against olimar and try to be more aggressive offstage, can't hurt! Thanks for advice, I find oli more defficult to approach than say villager cause if he gets that white pikmin on you as you approach it completely halts your approach cause you cant afford to take 50%. I'll check out your video also when I get a chance tomorrow. Uli, I'mHip, and the villager player were the best competition there ya.

and thanks Pikazz :D. Spinout kills are the best, throwing a mech on someone recovering and converting it into a spinout kill is the best feeling ever hehe. I do think Jr. Has an advantage over wario just cause of all our disjoint and trickyness to combat his short range and his trickyness. Anytime you see a wario use bite to beat the kart, either spinout or jump on reaction. Otherwise it's mainly about walling him out with disjoints and tricky mech pressure as well as using our mobility to avoid his traps.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
^I'd actually argue that Wario has the advantage in the mu but you just played substantially better than he did.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Wario's best advantages are also BJr's worst disadvantages. It's like a perfect storm if played correctly by the Wario. He's got an extremely strong anti-approach game that you can't really get in on unless you get a read (you were getting a ton of them + he was using bite way to soon when you started approaching) and his aerial game leads to almost every relevant attack hitting the top half of BJr's hurtbox. Dair and Bair kill waaaaay earlier than they should because of the dumb multiplier mechanic. JR's linear recovery makes waft interceptions super easy as well.

It's not like it's un-doable or even particularly difficult. I'd consider it a soft +1 for Wario. There's an advantage there but solid fundamentals and a smart aggressive playstyle will win you the set (as it did for you).

He really didn't seem close to your skill level. I've never seen him play before but yeah.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
I can see that, I think the wario I played is pretty good (he knocked that good olimar player out of winners) but he just didn't know how to counter my style i think (he was familiar with the matchup cause he was a 3ds Jr. main). Ya bite is better used on reaction by the wario player. I dunno, I used to main Ness and Ness vs wario in brawl feels very similar to Jr. Vs wario in smash 4. It's a big spacing war and both are about equally good at killing the other. I honestly can see the matchup being in our favor, even, or their favor.

Stupid balanced game.

Also is there anyone Jr. just completely dominates? I mean I know Jr. has advantaged matchups but I wonder who he just outright crushes. My 1st guess would be Jiggs but I've played some deadly jiggs so I'm not sure.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
If jiggs' gimps weren't as deadly as they were I'd probably put it at 7:3 for BJr. Because she has the ability to essentially guarantee a stock if you go offstage it's much closer than that spread-wise.

I feel like DK and Ganon are his easiest matchups but even those aren't any more advantageous than a hard +1.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
this isnt the thread to talk about it but I can say that Jigglypuff is one really tough matchup for Jr.
a NAir from Jigglypuff has alot of priority, a Nair/FAir often trades with Jrs FAir and Render Jrs SideB Useless together with Jigglypuff's amazing gimp ability. a weak Nair (which is easy to do) or a weak FAir to make the UpB useless

Jigglypuff do have weaknesses but Jr cant really tackle those weaknesses well (except for her Lightness and being the lightest in the game) so Jr have to be more defensive and be more of the "read" side than pressure in this match up. over aggression will lead to a Rest

the Easiest Matchup for Jr must be either DK or Ganon, however I want to say Charizard aswell

Top Bottom