• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Videos thread

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some For Glory matches I've been doin. I think the Marth match was pretty interesting, but I don't think my other opponents were anything special even though they still gave me a rough time. Any advice or feedback is most welcome:

vs. :4marth:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ICAqYp7pH8&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=2
vs. :4greninja:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmPqeYA85t8&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=3
vs. :4myfriends:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkzcAGOrF8&index=1&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4megaman: (I'd like to find whoever this guy was an get revenge :grrr:!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0A8Y9DYoiQ&index=4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

I've actually been slightly starting to lose interest in playing :4bowserjr:earlier today when I've been having trouble playing him a bit recently, and I've been starting to fall in love more with other characters like :4palutena:, :4shulk:and :4megaman: than him lately. I've also been hearing some negative comments on his competitive viability in the other threads here, and I think its slightly getting to me. But you know, rather than because of these two things or the character himself, I think I just need to make changes to my gameplans and adjust my playstyle, and I think getting advice from anybody here would be the best way to reignite my likeness for Junior so I'll know what to do better next time. So I seek any critiques or pointers here that anybody can give me.

Things I'm aware of though:
  • I tend to roll too much
  • I don't spotdodge often (or in the case of these videos, I didn't do it at all), which I think is important because I got dash grabbed a bit in the ke match
  • I'm using the Dsmash too much.
Anything else I'm missing?

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I've been really looking for a secondary to my :4dedede:, and I'm confident that :4roy: is my second best character. (something I somewhat regret to say... Poor R.O.B...) However, this doesn't really mean I'm all that great with him, but I'm decent I'd say.

Vs. :4duckhunt: (a local match against a pretty good DH main that I'm particularly fond of because of my use of the hammer around 1:30ish. Nothing really special otherwise though.)
Vs. :4lucina: (definitely could've done better, but it was my first time trying him out online.)

Still pretty new to the character, and any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.

(also I apologize for the horrendous video quality...)

Last edited:

Shadow_nobody

Smash Rookie
D1 just put up some matches from Sky's invitational.
This is just about the only time the koopakids make an appearance and Fow ends up losing, but he did put in some work.
And since I don't have enough posts I'll just put this here:
/watch?v=i6CQw5ATlrU

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Made a montage/parody type "combo" video using a bunch of footage I collected from the first few weeks that the 3DS version was out.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some For Glory matches I've been doin. I think the Marth match was pretty interesting, but I don't think my other opponents were anything special even though they still gave me a rough time. Any advice or feedback is most welcome:

vs. :4marth:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ICAqYp7pH8&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=2
vs. :4greninja:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmPqeYA85t8&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=3
vs. :4myfriends:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkzcAGOrF8&index=1&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :4megaman: (I'd like to find whoever this guy was an get revenge :grrr:!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0A8Y9DYoiQ&index=4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

I've actually been slightly starting to lose interest in playing :4bowserjr:earlier today when I've been having trouble playing him a bit recently, and I've been starting to fall in love more with other characters like :4palutena:, :4shulk:and :4megaman: than him lately. I've also been hearing some negative comments on his competitive viability in the other threads here, and I think its slightly getting to me. But you know, rather than because of these two things or the character himself, I think I just need to make changes to my gameplans and adjust my playstyle, and I think getting advice from anybody here would be the best way to reignite my likeness for Junior so I'll know what to do better next time. So I seek any critiques or pointers here that anybody can give me.

Things I'm aware of though:
  • I tend to roll too much
  • I don't spotdodge often (or in the case of these videos, I didn't do it at all), which I think is important because I got dash grabbed a bit in the ke match
  • I'm using the Dsmash too much.
Anything else I'm missing?
Yo can someone help me out with this? Been over a week now and I still got no comments.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yo can someone help me out with this? Been over a week now and I still got no comments.
You don't use your cart nearly enough. You never pressure with it or try to fake people out with it. In that game vs Marth it took you over a minute before you even pulled it out for the first time. Obviously you don't want to be predictable, but under utilizing one of his best tools on FD isn't in your best interest.

You also seem happy to sit in shield (which isn't always terrible as BJr because he's got some decent range in the neutral game/OoS; It's better to try and bait people into attacks than be hamfistedly aggro) when you could be punishing your opponent. In the Ike game you give him multiple chances to recover from laggy attacks by standing still when you could have landed any one of a few aerials or even just pummel+throw. He's definitely not a rushdown character and he's not adept at continuous pressure ala Jigglypuff/Yoshi but he's got a lot of wonky disjoints that are relatively safe for punishing with.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Wow, what a nice Jr. by Tweek! Is that you?
Is there more of him playing? Really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Wow, what a nice Jr. by Tweek! Is that you?
Is there more of him playing? Really enjoyed it.
Not me, but I wish it was.

The Youtube channel where I found the video is called Rush Hour Smash. I think there is another match with Tweek playing against Sonic.

Weruop

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/desert_fights/c/5810053
29:30 Grand Finals is all thats probably worth watching. Winners finals was nothing crazy. Bowser Jr. vs Samus/Wario
Idk why but i kept accidentally pausing when I neutral B'd. Pause shoulda been turned off and we shoulda fixed it after match 1 but ah well, good thing he and I are good friends lol.
Hopefully people can learn a bit from the set and also hopefully I can get some pointers and advice. I feel I could use more dash attack and also use UpB in safer situations, among other things. Also dont know why i rolled away from charge shot game 3. Im constantly on people about rolling away from projectiles lol

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Whenever I watch a tournament video involving Bowser Jr. or the Koopalings, the person playing as them always seems to lose. Do any really impressive tournament videos exist of that character? Considering how Larry is my #2 character, it's a bit disheartening to see such a lack of impressive Koopalings out there. Seeing very impressive plays of characters tends to help me a lot. Tournament videos certainly gave me a much better idea of what Diddy Kong and Meta Knight are capable of. (They're my other mains.)

UnchainTheRain

Smash Rookie
NNID
Unchain_the_Rain
3DS FC
4811-7021-2151
I just started my own Youtube channel and plan to primarily upload Bowser Jr. content. After watching my match several times I can see a lot of flaws in my gameplay, but I hope you will enjoy it.

Here's my favorite moment from the game:

You can see the full match at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97N5kWexWeg

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
Posting here before I get my equipment on Friday, but I'm going to start streaming Bowser Jr only games, I'll post here when something happens, play wise or matchup wise.

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
That footstool>upB in the Marth matchup made me wet :o

In the other videos, especially in the Ike one, you seemed way too slow, and your edgeguards were lazy. Bowjow has an incredibly good offstage game, and his bair will kill (depending on where you are on the stage) at about 80%. You should utilize that more, rather than just putting down a projectile, or using upB on the ledge and hoping they hit it.

Your recovery in some of these was pretty eh. Take advantage of your sideB, and the jump reset that it provides. Never upB if you can't angle yourself to grab the ledge immediately.

Shorthop>nair and nair in general is awesome, especially in some of the ways you used it.

Aside from that, it looks like you just need more work on learning how to read your opponents. Most of the time, you fell victim to some pretty obvious patterns (Ike) and almost lost the game because of it.

Hope this helped!

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Tweek VS. ZUCCO. AND GUESS WHO WINS?
Watching Tweek play is incredible. I want to get that good. :D

But for some small analysis...
Tweek doesn't grab often. He does in a few situations where it's guaranteed (stupid slow grab... should've extended farther like a real tether), but most of the time he seems to use the side B.
He also doesn't pick up his mechakoopa often. Granted he's good enough to go without it and sometimes the wandering koopa catches others off guard. Also, grabbing it resets the timer. So that makes it worth picking up and chucking.
But I really like his air game. He maneuvers him so skillfully and is good at catching people in smashes as they get up.
Overall great game to watch :D

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
a combo I have found with jr! from 12% to 60%! if it was closer to the ledge it would been a KO :3
That is a good string, though I think you can tech the landing after the string of jabs. You'd have to tech chase with your Fsmash and predict properly.
Not sure if DI helps against it.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
That is a good string, though I think you can tech the landing after the string of jabs. You'd have to tech chase with your Fsmash and predict properly.
Not sure if DI helps against it.
you cant tech from a Jab Lock! you can tech if you time it on the first hit on the ground after the DAir, but if you get a jab on you, you are screwed

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
you cant tech from a Jab Lock! you can tech if you time it on the first hit on the ground after the DAir, but if you get a jab on you, you are screwed
Sorry I doubted you.
That is a really cool technique that I will certainly practice when I get the chance. :)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Tweek VS. ZUCCO. AND GUESS WHO WINS?
Watching Tweek play is incredible. I want to get that good. :D

But for some small analysis...
Tweek doesn't grab often. He does in a few situations where it's guaranteed (stupid slow grab... should've extended farther like a real tether), but most of the time he seems to use the side B.
He also doesn't pick up his mechakoopa often. Granted he's good enough to go without it and sometimes the wandering koopa catches others off guard. Also, grabbing it resets the timer. So that makes it worth picking up and chucking.
But I really like his air game. He maneuvers him so skillfully and is good at catching people in smashes as they get up.
Overall great game to watch :D
LOVED this. Love all the Kart movement, uair strings, and Mechkoopa traps. He placed it on the BF platform once and that looked so annoying haha.

a combo I have found with jr! from 12% to 60%! if it was closer to the ledge it would been a KO :3
That's a long time to act after you're falling from the dair hit. This will basically never happen against real players.

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
So there are a few obvious mistakes in this game, but overall, it's a good showcase of what I've learned over the past week or so. Enjoy!
(The quality might be a bit poor, at the time of posting it isn't 100% finished processing.)

EDIT: THIS IS THE REAL SHOFU. I had no idea when I first loaded in :DDDDDD

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So there are a few obvious mistakes in this game, but overall, it's a good showcase of what I've learned over the past week or so. Enjoy!
(The quality might be a bit poor, at the time of posting it isn't 100% finished processing.)

Are you the same guy who faced off against shofu (under he name DAMAHE) Ike For Glory video?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZyJsooTlE Because that match looks very identical.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Last edited:

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
I JUST found out this morning, that was ACTUALLY shofu.
I thought it was a fake at first, but holy **** xD

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll post some more soon ^^

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I JUST found out this morning, that was ACTUALLY shofu.
I thought it was a fake at first, but holy **** xD

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll post some more soon ^^
This same thing happened to me hahaha. I completely obliterated Cosmo, but I thought it was just some dude pretending to be him because he was rolling a lot and getting hit by stupid stuff. An hour later my friend calls me up freaking out and says that he just watched me destroy Cosmo on stream.

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
Yeah it's him. I doubt there is another Bowser JR main with the tag sonnet :p

It's looking pretty solid @ Sonnet Sonnet , nice utilization of the mechakoopa and good defensive game overall.
It seems like the word that people are using to describe that game was "annoying," so it seems like I'm doing something right x)

But yeah, overall I thought my mechakoopa game was pretty solid, minus that one misinput that cost me a stock in game 2. Thanks for the praise, it kinda makes me want to stream and play a bit more often, now!

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQhTVOYNUjA Some guy made a video that showcases stuff about Jr. and Kooplaings, I learned some interesting stuff from this video definitely check it out.
Wow, i have been working on a similiar video for about a week and a half now and was going to cover almost the same stuff xD oh well...

Some of the stuff was new, had never seen the Ftilt with mechakoopa in hand and the applications of custom moves. Cool stuff :)

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
1:32 and onwards, is he zdropping and then catching it very fast? I cant seem to get this to work.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQhTVOYNUjA Some guy made a video that showcases stuff about Jr. and Kooplaings, I learned some interesting stuff from this video definitely check it out.
Holy ****. Some of those techniques are amazing.

Edit-

Attempted a lot of those and can't figure out how to throw mechakoopas on the ground and have them bound instead of explode. Also, I assume the cancelled up special explosion was triggered from Captain Falcon attacking?

Last edited:
Top Bottom