• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Videos thread

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Holy ****. Some of those techniques are amazing.

Edit-

Attempted a lot of those and can't figure out how to throw mechakoopas on the ground and have them bound instead of explode. Also, I assume the cancelled up special explosion was triggered from Captain Falcon attacking?
http://smashboards.com/threads/mechajuggling.389629/ has a lot of what you're looking for explanation wise.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
this is a bit of a weird post but i had a set with amsa at apex as mah gurl wendy and it was extremely close. game 3, last hit, last stock. the reason i bring this up is because it wasnt on stream but im pretty sure i remember a guy bringing out his phone to record it before the set started and i really wanna find this set. i would love it if you guys could stay on the look out for this set since ive had no success so far. thanks!

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
You did that well against aMSa as Wendy? Holy ****. Are any other notable matches viewable online of you playing as that character?

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
You did that well against aMSa as Wendy? Holy ****. Are any other notable matches viewable online of you playing as that character?
The set against aMSa doesn't surprise me- I've heard quite a bit about him from Tweek.

Still, though, do you have any good VODs up? I'd really like to see what you've managed to do with the Koopalings :)

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
ah so words getting out about me. thats surprising since i do not in fact have any vids of me playing out there yet. ive been very unlucky when it comes to streams and stuff in the sense that i havent been able to go to too many events (too expensive and getting there is an issue). thats partially why i wanna find this set. its gonna be my first set out there. but ill try and rep jr more at bigger events and maybe ill be able to provide content for you guys soon! i might be able to start saving replays but i only save those if theres a big come back or a glitch happened.

Phase 3

Smash Rookie

I was at a tournament last month and this was the latest match I played on stream. There was a far bigger television that was used for grand finals so everyone could comfortably see, but sadly that station was not streamed (odd setup, I know) so my set in GF was not recorded. This was one of the only matches I played over there.

I actually think Bowser Jr. plays a great aggressive wall of pain game since he can constantly jump (if you time his aerials correctly) and cover tons of space with these massive, lingering hitboxes. Using the kart hop to continue the wall is a great mixup in this style given that you either safely jump out and keep spacing or let it fly if you catch them throwing out a move, which can lead to guaranteed combos/kills. I think this character has a slew of potential and I'm excited to see what people find with him in the future.

Anywho, I do realize that this is Ike (you certainly have to adjust against more defensive or even ground-based characters--for example, I use d.tilt far more in other matchups) and I'm certainly no pro, but I still think the video illustrates some of Jr.'s strengths in the neutral regardless of that. There are some amazing contributors here and I really think as a community we can push his metagame way further.

Edit: Don't mind the audio please, there's a double because the recording station accidentally left the webcam mic on. Also the pause in the beginning of the first match is due to a brief controller malfunction on my opponent's part. We just played it out though once we made sure all the buttons were good.

Last edited:

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I really liked watching your match @ Phase 3 Phase 3 , it gave me some real hope in my switch to the Koopalings. I tried doing WoP with Wario this time around and it hasn't been very pretty, but having more controlled mobility and the mechakoopas make me want to give it another go.

Phase 3

Smash Rookie
Thanks, Vimes. I still think Jr. is better than people give him credit for, but his most viable playstyles aren't immediately obvious--especially for people used to traditional rushdown characters. That said, he definitely needs a lot more exposure in tournaments because with a toolkit like his I really believe he has a ton of untapped potential. Obviously with more people using the character the faster their tech/metagame will develop so it's always great to see another person pick them up seriously.

I might try to put up some more match vids in the near future. If I'm lucky I'll be able to record a couple sets tonight.

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
Here are the videos that got recorded from an Anther's ladder online 16 man invitational tournament. 1st place prize was a month sub to the website, I'm happy with it hehe. Mainly I wanted to have some video footage of my playstyle so here you go!

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8DEvoSmoKU&index=7&list=PLTPGniwn2Hr8dtf7hycNi6-S3jLZ3WkQL

^ This is grand finals, watch the first game for sure, that's my favorite game of the whole tournament : )

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-nY1TGouI&index=6&list=PLTPGniwn2Hr8dtf7hycNi6-S3jLZ3WkQL

This is winners finals, the first two games were unplayably laggy but the third game was good lag.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOoZTjaJhxQ&list=PLTPGniwn2Hr8dtf7hycNi6-S3jLZ3WkQL&index=5

^ This is winners semi finals, it's a really good set.

4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyXecsZH-sc&list=PLTPGniwn2Hr8dtf7hycNi6-S3jLZ3WkQL&index=1

^ This is a game vs a samus/yoshi player

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Who is tweak? :p I don't think I've seen a more successful bjr, yet I don't think he has a stream, or his own videos, or a forum or anything. I'd love to see what he has to say about so many things :p

Edit: by "who" I mean other than some guy who appears at a few tournaments

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Who is tweak? :p I don't think I've seen a more successful bjr, yet I don't think he has a stream, or his own videos, or a forum or anything. I'd love to see what he has to say about so many things :p

Edit: by "who" I mean other than some guy who appears at a few tournaments
Msg Sonnet to get in on the bjr skype chat if you'd like to talk to folks like he, tweek and I who grind the hell out of the character and do our best to actually push the character/ don't think mk into cannonball is a good tactic.

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Msg Sonnet to get in on the bjr skype chat if you'd like to talk to folks like he, tweek and I who grind the hell out of the character and do our best to actually push the character/ don't think mk into cannonball is a good tactic.

Thanks! Will do so in a few days (midterms, man >.> )

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
Yup, the Skype group is a great place to be if you want to learn from us and get better. Once I joined, I started 3-0ing people I couldn't even come close to beating before :)

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Hello!
I'm bringing you the 2nd part of the stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/628344801
-Tweek Vs Yoshi: 33:19
-Tweek Vs Shiek: 58:46
-Tweek Vs Vinnie's Shiek: 1:29:52
-Tweek Vs Marth: 2:43:03 and a set against a diddy just after.

Tweek interview, giving some tips about Bowser Jr. : 3:45:37

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Andy_Suro's Bowser Jr. vs. SuperOven's Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNN6-twQPA.
Good match, great comeback in game 2, but that Bowser Jr. played so defensively that it dragged the match out farther than I feel was necessary in the first and second games, even before his comeback. He also didn't always follow his mechakoopa, allowing luigi to easily grab it more often.
I guess it's a matter of personal playstyle. But good match.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I actually fought SuperOven's Luigi with my Diddy Kong and Meta Knight as a tournament recently, and he destroyed me, so I'd say that Bowser Jr. player did pretty well. Also nice seeing a Bowser Jr. play defensively for once. I used to think Bowser Jr. was a really defensive character until I noticed a lot of the really good players of that character hardly ever used his neutral special and were really aggressive.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I actually fought SuperOven's Luigi with my Diddy Kong and Meta Knight as a tournament recently, and he destroyed me, so I'd say that Bowser Jr. player did pretty well. Also nice seeing a Bowser Jr. play defensively for once. I used to think Bowser Jr. was a really defensive character until I noticed a lot of the really good players of that character hardly ever used his neutral special and were really aggressive.
Yea, this Jr. definitely played differently than what I'm used to seeing. It's good to showcase different playstyles to give other players a better idea of Jr's versatility. :)
Between defensive use of Fair and the MKs, and offensive WOP tactics with Fair and Bair, to rush down tactics with the kart dash, Jr. has plenty of options when played right.
I am curious to see what kinds of playstyles we'll see in the future...

The cannonball is a good mixup, IMO. Even when used properly, I would only use it sparingly *unless you edgeguard with it and ledge cancel it too*

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
It thrills me to see a Bowser Jr. player play him defensively well. One of the reasons why I picked up :4larry: is because he seemed like a really fun defensive character, but all the great Bowser Jr. players play him offensively and rarely use his cannon ball. Honestly, it's part of what has made me use him less lately. The frame data for his cannon ball is so horrible that it makes it hard to use it effectively at a higher level of play.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
Here are tournament matches from a tournament in San Diego on 3/22/15. I got 5th but I was sooooo close to at least getting second place! Just encourages me to step up my game even more. They are good matches, you guys should watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nFWD3Ib7l4&index=5&list=PLgPJkuM2x9pIk6xJPiGmmjWGYy5JVRwcU

Vs Magikal (Sheik)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0FpKxmHSiA&index=9&list=PLgPJkuM2x9pIk6xJPiGmmjWGYy5JVRwcU

Vs Falln (Top Rosalina player and former Kirbeh hero)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCB6mjcK9M&index=15&list=PLgPJkuM2x9pIk6xJPiGmmjWGYy5JVRwcU

Vs Phoneix (Very good sonic)

Hope you guys enjoy! Close, fun matches, I'm going to grind out more play time and try and go to more tournaments post graduation so I can get my name on the notable Jr. players list.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Here are tournament matches from a tournament in San Diego on 3/22/15. I got 5th but I was sooooo close to at least getting second place! Just encourages me to step up my game even more. They are good matches, you guys should watch!

Hope you guys enjoy! Close, fun matches, I'm going to grind out more play time and try and go to more tournaments post graduation so I can get my name on the notable Jr. players list.
Your spacing is pretty phenomenal. The dsmash on the dair punish in game 1 vs sonic was so stupid. I totally expected you to get hit, but you spaced it absolutely perfectly. It didn't look like it should have worked, but it did in a big way.

Top Bottom