• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr brings his toys back for Smash! (And the Koopalings too)

Hey, I was going to make a post in the Jr threads about some suggested changes, but then I realized he was one of the only veterans that didn't already have a thread. So I took it upon myself to make the thread myself. Our stars:

So now, discuss anything related to Bowser Jr and Koopalings for Smash Switch.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I'm hoping Jr and his siblings get a few little boosts to their KOing potential. They're one of the most fun Sm4sh newcomers, but they need a few more kill move options.

I wanna destroy with Ludwig, dammit!

chemo

Smash Apprentice
One of my favorite character(s) to play as in Smash 4 tbh. I especially loved how we were now able to play as our boy Roy (not that Roy).

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I have no interest in the Koopalings, and hope Bowser Jr comes back alone tbh

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I wonder if they fixed his tech glitch

I think I saw the return of dair-canceling and a fast f-smash from footage yesterday though!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
landing lag was reduced a huge amount across the board from what it looked like, which should help with jr's big hitboxes a LOT for his fair/bair/dair - I don't think that was any sort of cancel.

It looked like his neutral b got some adjustments, here's hoping it's usable.

I hope bowser jr is a little less underwhelming in terms of his effectiveness this time, I love the character design!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What will continue to feel disturbing is knowing that Bowser Jr. still doesn't receive his own palette swaps. The first 8 palette slots could've been Bowser Jr. palettes, while palette slots 9-15 would be for the Koopalings.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
he wasn't playable in the demo so outside of "looks like lag got reduced across the board so that will help with the aerials" and "sure hope x is fixed" there isn't much to discuss.

but yknow

here's hoping he's less underwhelming this time, because I -love- the character!

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
he wasn't playable in the demo so outside of "looks like lag got reduced across the board so that will help with the aerials" and "sure hope x is fixed" there isn't much to discuss.

but yknow

here's hoping he's less underwhelming this time, because I -love- the character!
Same.
Bowser Jr was my character I played as when I didn't wanna play seriously and just wanted to have a good time. He's such a great character, but I saw no hope in ever maining him. It would be dope if he actually ended up being good this time around~

Maplejr.

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I was watching :ultbowserjr:'s fighter intro video, and noticed this;

His jab's finisher is now a uppercut. It can be seen very briefly in his fighter intro video at around 0:20. Dunno how much this changes the move, but looks to be an improvement, at least.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
As long as the move even sort of functions now that would be a nice buff. Running up tilt up smash and jab are gonna be nice to have

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I love how in the actual reveal itself, Lemmy's face just disappears.

It's such a Bowser Jr. thing to happen, glitching out already in the first reveal.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr. was my favorite Mario character before Smash, so I was kind of sad when Rosalina got in. When he was leaked, it was a major surprise to me (and I think to most people lol). Before we knew that everyone was returning, he was one of the characters that many people predicted as a potential cut. I'm glad that he and the whole cast are back.

On a side note, his special shot in Mario Tennis Aces has a crane come out of the Clown Car's back. That would have been a cool new grab animation.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I love how in the actual reveal itself, Lemmy's face just disappears.

It's such a Bowser Jr. thing to happen, glitching out already in the first reveal.
Really? Reminds me of Morton clipping through the clown car in his CGI trailer lmao.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Jr. and friends were one of the least used Smash 4 characters. They were fun and full lf shenanigans, but they were up there with Duck Hunt and Olimar for the least played characters, both casually and competitively, and that's a shame. A combination of being really subpar, being difficult to learn for little reward, and having a slow, zoning style really hurt the Koopalings.

My main hopes:
-Landing lag reductions (likely).
-Cannonball power boost, speed boost, and end lag reduction (the last one looks to be the case from their trailer).
-Some I frames on their recovery to avoid easy gimps.
-Get rid of the damage enhancement on their bodies but leave the clown car reduction. If Links can auto block projectiles and some characters can wall jump or cling, then why can't Jr. have a unique damage reduction gimmick without also having a penalty? This also just doesn't make sense, because there's no reason they should take increased damage over every other organic character. Its probably a reference to their weak point in the Mario games, but its also a huge nerf. And it makes every throw do increased damage to them.
-Higher damage and range on Aerials, namely nair, dair and uair.
-Combo throw would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

So yeah, I want these guys to be good this time around. Jab and Cannonball already look better, so that's good.

The Neon Flame

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow_Rex
3DS FC
2939-2382-1976
Switch FC
2650 8699 0986
I'm making Junior my secondary main this time around. He's fun as hell to play as!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unless I get Geno, Lemmy may end up as my main in this game as well. I'll have to try him out and hope he's been buffed.

Untouch

Smash Master
Faster B recovery is nice, hopefully I won't accidentally use it on the edge of a stage and SD because the endlag is about 3 million frames.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Larry is one of my favourite mario characters, something about the angry littlest brother is charming. Lol so i play bowser jr quite a bit.

I hope they reduce the end lag on the mech koopa. Its such a good move otherwise if he could just release them safely and be able to act faster out of it......2 on screen at once would be godlike, but i highly doubt thatll happen.

Also the reduced aerial lag in general should help him. He has ridiculously large disjoints being able to spam them more should help a lot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jr. and friends were one of the least used Smash 4 characters. They were fun and full lf shenanigans, but they were up there with Duck Hunt and Olimar for the least played characters, both casually and competitively, and that's a shame. A combination of being really subpar, being difficult to learn for little reward, and having a slow, zoning style really hurt the Koopalings.

My main hopes:
-Landing lag reductions (likely).
-Cannonball power boost, speed boost, and end lag reduction (the last one looks to be the case from their trailer).
-Some I frames on their recovery to avoid easy gimps.
-Get rid of the damage enhancement on their bodies but leave the clown car reduction. If Links can auto block projectiles and some characters can wall jump or cling, then why can't Jr. have a unique damage reduction gimmick without also having a penalty? This also just doesn't make sense, because there's no reason they should take increased damage over every other organic character. Its probably a reference to their weak point in the Mario games, but its also a huge nerf. And it makes every throw do increased damage to them.
-Higher damage and range on Aerials, namely nair, dair and uair.
-Combo throw would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

So yeah, I want these guys to be good this time around. Jab and Cannonball already look better, so that's good.
Essentially, everything about Jr. and friends needs a buff lol. Which stinks because I really like the characters. Roy being my favorite. I want them to be good. And unfortunately with all the buffs they need I just don't see them being good characters. It feels bad.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Essentially, everything about Jr. and friends needs a buff lol. Which stinks because I really like the characters. Roy being my favorite. I want them to be good. And unfortunately with all the buffs they need I just don't see them being good characters. It feels bad.
They have the potential to be good because some of their kit is legitimately good (especially Mecha Koopa), they just fall flat in important areas that makes them fail against a lot of the cast. Larger disjoints alone would help them immensely, and really something needs to be done about their vulnerability when recovering, because there's just no reason it should be so unsafe.

D

Deleted member

They have the potential to be good because some of their kit is legitimately good (especially Mecha Koopa), they just fall flat in important areas that makes them fail against a lot of the cast. Larger disjoints alone would help them immensely, and really something needs to be done about their vulnerability when recovering, because there's just no reason it should be so unsafe.
Absolutely.

Kijiickimana

Smash Rookie
Okay so I've been a Bowser Jr. main for several years now, and I've explored the character extremely in depth in Smash 4. Sadly, the trailers so far don't show us anything about any changes made to our little friend except for him getting beaten up in every way possible. Although one of the major changes I've seen so far (and I really had to look for this one) is that the end of Bowser Jr.'s jab send's your opponent upward with an uppercut instead of to the side like is Smash 4. You can see this at the very end of his character trailer right after the final smash ends.

If anyone else has found any changes at all let me know. I'm having a lot of trouble finding stuff for him.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Okay so I've been a Bowser Jr. main for several years now, and I've explored the character extremely in depth in Smash 4. Sadly, the trailers so far don't show us anything about any changes made to our little friend except for him getting beaten up in every way possible. Although one of the major changes I've seen so far (and I really had to look for this one) is that the end of Bowser Jr.'s jab send's your opponent upward with an uppercut instead of to the side like is Smash 4. You can see this at the very end of his character trailer right after the final smash ends.

If anyone else has found any changes at all let me know. I'm having a lot of trouble finding stuff for him.
I haven't measured nor do i have the tools to do so, but his Cannonball seems a lot faster.

Kijiickimana

Smash Rookie
I haven't measured nor do i have the tools to do so, but his Cannonball seems a lot faster.
Oh yeah! that's another thing. His cannonball shoots out in such a weird way now. While in motion, it spins around an offset axis. My guess is that this will be a buff overall because it might have more range. I'm not 100% positive on this though. I'll have to do lot's of training mode to see.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh yeah! that's another thing. His cannonball shoots out in such a weird way now. While in motion, it spins around an offset axis. My guess is that this will be a buff overall because it might have more range. I'm not 100% positive on this though. I'll have to do lot's of training mode to see.
You mean, like King K. Rool's blunderbuss shot?

GoombaSSB

Smash Rookie
No, if you look really closely around the 5-6 second mark of his trailer you see that his cannonball rotates while moving forward. It may just be a visual change but I'm hoping that it will at least give it a slight increase in range.
Increase in speed is good. Range too might actually make it a viable tool. We can only hope at this point right? I assume we won't get anymore Junior until the Game's release.

Kijiickimana

Smash Rookie
One thing that I am really worried about right now is that you can't move through your opponents shields. I'm hoping this was just a "glitch" in the demos. This could be a huge nerf to bowser jr's side special, because people would be able to punish it more than they already can in smash 4. Also, if the mechakoopas don't pass through the shield, that would make them so much easier for the opponent to grab and use against you.

The Hat Trick

Smash Rookie
One thing that I am really worried about right now is that you can't move through your opponents shields. I'm hoping this was just a "glitch" in the demos. This could be a huge nerf to bowser jr's side special, because people would be able to punish it more than they already can in smash 4. Also, if the mechakoopas don't pass through the shield, that would make them so much easier for the opponent to grab and use against you.
I'm with you on that. I really hope it's a glitch. That's such a hard nerf to our kit. As if maining Junior wasn't hard enough to begin with. :confused:

Last edited:

WiiRool

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiRool
Switch FC
SW-2514-2416-3131
I don't see the cannonball spiraling benefitting to anything except maybe predictability. It's a weird change!
Fun fact though: the spiraling cannonball moreso references Shotzo from the Kirby series than any cannon from the Mario series. Which makes it even weirder!

LinkisPink

Smash Rookie
A fellow jr main and clipboard a very well known jr helped me to see jrs new changes and we found a few :) lets hope our boi :ultbowserjr:
can be good in ultimate

1.) Rapid Jab finisher is an uppercut
2.) Cannonball has less start up and less endlag
3.)mechakoopa has less end lag
4.) Up throw is 4 frames faster
5.) Dtilt can eat items lol
6.) Kart push has less pushback
7.) You can shoot two cannons at a time now
8.) Up B is faster
And thats all the changes we found hopefully this can help us fellow jr mains think of jrs potential now hopefully he gets more buffs he needs them

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So we're getting trailer combos
Anyone else doubting that this would actually work at higher percentages? Fighters can potentially air dodge to avoid the hammer swing, assuming that they can air dodge the instant they can be controlled again.

And of course, this is a fighter dependent ordeal, so it may be harder to pull off against floaty fighters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom