• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser jab cancelling

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
You kno i was watching a video on the critqiue thread of ixis and i noticed that his styule of play (im sure hes not the only one) is by far the most superior way to play, that is to jab cancell everythinggg, almost.

To an extent jab canceling goes great wtih bowser because hes able to keep opponents like pikachu or kirby from just running in and attacking, its great for spacing, especially jab cancel-ftilt, i also noticed that u jab cancel and air dodge to a spot to attack, i rarely dash across the stage unless im dealing with a projectile spammer, but ive noticed that many people bowser mainers havent really used this type of attackin wit hthe exception of a few that are in my opinion the best, have really used in tournys, it works, ive played a few of my buddies after practicing all the jab cancels that goes for (fairing after it, klaw, dtilit, ftilit, dashgrab, bowserbomb, and def fsmash ;)!! but the moveset can go for anything even rolling or retreating !) its by far the best way to keep opponents off of u, while delivering a good blow after the jab either misses or they shield the second attack whether it be a grab or tilt or even an air dodge retreat, this all works well to keep ur opponent out off their range and to keep bowser in his, with the exception of DK and DDD jab cancel-ftilt is by far the best way to keep opponents away, especially MK, however i also noticed you dont have to jab cancel everythinggg in fact sometime u have an opening for a klaw or a tilt and you take it, but in bowsers general way to play i noticed jab cancelling works the best to kepp almost all characters from being the attacker and put u in the attacking position, also i noticed another way to mix it up is to klaw hopp to change up the momentum of the game to throw ur opponent off, some people have seen it, but dont kno the best way how to defend against it, so i noticed there wasnt a big thread over this in my opinion the greatest asset to bowsers movelist, how many of yall use it as a main part of your strategy in winning with bowser?

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
most def i also noticed i was playing an MK and i jab cancelling ftilit and aimed it upwards to stop his fairs and MK couldnt touch me wit hthe exception of tornado, other than that, is it just me or do not so many people either use jab cacelling or havent heard of it with bowser?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Jab cancel to ftilt isn't 100% reliable, if your opponent has a very fast move he can hit you when the hitstun of the jab wears off. However, if you hit with the tip of your jab, go for it.

So up close I Jab to klaw or fortress, depending if I think my opponent will jump or not (grounded klaw cannot catch aerial opponents).

You can Jab to bowser bomb on huge targets like DK.

I usually follow up a spotdodged jab with the second jab, I think it's the safest option.

Of course I mess up somewhat often so even if I do have things planned I might just jab twice accidentally or if I'm zoned out.

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
noooo i never follow up with the next jab, 6 damage is too conservative for me, go for frotress or roll after the jab cancel instead, bowser wit hsome characters they are dancing around when u catch them with a jab cancel u punish them, this will work as a spacin game, and if they dont projectile spam u, it can be a long match for them, as long as u change up ur attacks and movement after the jab cancel

B!squick

Smash Master
Jab cancel to ftilt isn't 100% reliable, if your opponent has a very fast move he can hit you when the hitstun of the jab wears off. However, if you hit with the tip of your jab, go for it.

So up close I Jab to klaw or fortress, depending if I think my opponent will jump or not (grounded klaw cannot catch aerial opponents).

You can Jab to bowser bomb on huge targets like DK.

I usually follow up a spotdodged jab with the second jab, I think it's the safest option.

Of course I mess up somewhat often so even if I do have things planned I might just jab twice accidentally or if I'm zoned out.
Actually, in Hotgabage's big list of jab cancelling, Bowser has the biggest advantage when hitting with the hitbox closest to him (jab has 3). I think it's like, 9 frames worth of an advantage. I'll try to find the thread and get back to you.

EDIT: Here we go.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236603

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
oh ok, well jab cancel then fitlit if they are in your range i normall klaw or dash grab or even bowser bomb, if they are at high percents, but yea post a link that jab cancelling thread, i'd like to see the list of that, it def works in my strategy especially against the characters bowser outranges, which is most of them

Flayl

Smash Hero
Actually, in Hotgabage's big list of jab cancelling, Bowser has the biggest advantage when hitting with the hitbox closest to him (jab has 3). I think it's like, 9 frames worth of an advantage. I'll try to find the thread and get back to you.

EDIT: Here we go.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236603
You do know Ftilt comes out in 10 frames right? This is something you can't buffer, there WILL be 1 or 2 frames of error, at least.

If you don't beleive me, just fight a Meta Knight and ask him to NAir when you hit him with Jab.

udov

Smash Cadet
I agree with the first post, jab cancelling is god-sent !
I try to use it as much as possible, but instead of ftilts I mostly follow it with dash grabs (when they're close enough, otherwise finishing the jab is just better/safer)
It appears to work on most of the cast, even when you're fighting (very) good players.

but this thread makes me wonder how good jab cancel -> utilt would be... (assuming you're turning your back to the opponent for the uptilt to land)
has anyone tried it yet?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Jab Canceling is too good....hence all three of my characters having Jab Canceling goodness. (Ike, Falcon, Bowser)

Honestly though, I find Bowser's a bit more awkward to use then the other two. I keep thinking "This shouldn't work." so I end up canceling into fortress mainly.

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
yea i pretty much have watched a few of his videos and so far its worked against most characters, the awesomeness that bowsers jab cancel works so well is because his jab has really good range compared to most other characters who have jab cancel, plus its fast and normally if the opponent is out of range, ill jab, f-tilt so if he decides to rush in and grab, or just attack it will punish him with 14-11 damage depending on if the first jab hits, but jab cancelling only works well if u use it with ALLLL of bowsers moves, if u do just jab cancel and ftilt or a certain move like fortress, the person will find a counter to it but if u continously mix it up the opp wont know whats about to punish him , not only should u attack but it includes air dodging away out of the jab cancel or just retreating to give more spacing to keep the oppoent off of you and out of your range of fairs and all other moves, watch Ixis videos and you'll get the idea, just youtube ixis bowser hes a good example, and i have a question, is the jab cancel a glitch in the game or is it meant to actually be there for bowser?

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
marths up b doesnt work on all of bowsers follow ups, jab cancel fortress, dtilt, grab, and klaw all seem to work?

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
now bowser only taunts when stockin the opponent, which means about every 10 seconds or so ;)!!

edit/ sorry for the double post, ha thats what i get for being a noob when it comes to these boards :/

Pleather

Smash Cadet
Yea, one time, I pulled off this epic double jab cancel to fsmash on a friend of mine. I was behind by like, 2 stocks are something, and it was in no way a serious attempt, just a last ditch effort to pull some fun out of the match. Of course, I had only just learned how good his jab cancel was, and decided I'd try jab cancel, jab cancel, fsmash, just for kicks. It was simply hilarious at the time, but I never really realized how good bowser's jab cancel was, guess I have to use it more often.

Jonas

Smash Champion
So do you just stop jabbing before the last jab comes out or do you have to do something? :confused:

EDIT: Oh I just found out that you have to crouch =D
Disregard entire post.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
can marth just up+b out of the jab cancel?
Erm, I don't have the frame data for this, but assuming Marth can, Bowser might be caught off of it one time, and then after that he can bait it and punish as he pleases. It's pretty darn risky to Up-B with Marth if you ask me, especially in that situation.

B!squick

Smash Master
So do you just stop jabbing before the last jab comes out or do you have to do something? :confused:

EDIT: Oh I just found out that you have to crouch =D
Disregard entire post.
Pfft, I never crouch, I just know the timing.

10truefacts

EDIT: All, Marth needs is 1 frame of freedom and he can UpB your ****, so if he's ready, I'm pretty sure Marth can do it to mess up just about any jab cancel. And it's not that risky since it outranges, like, everything and all it requires is a simple fast fall onto an overhead platform. But if you read and shield it it is quite possible to punish it. Especially if you're on FD which is your best neutral against Marth anyway.

Top Bottom