• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser has Tournament potential

Buuman

Smash Ace
As some of you may know, I entered Mass Madness. I could have done much better..but I was nervous about how bowser would perform in tournies..the one match I lost I used marth. Then in the loosers bracket I was gonna win..it was against a very decent lucas player..but doing the dumbest thing possible, I Down B'ed to grab the edge/attempted to kill him - if it hit him I would have won the set..but no..I miscalculated and suicided..I was an inch too far away. However the friendlies I had I used bowser..and I ended up Beating Jinxs metaknight..really dont know how I pulled that off, I beat dark knights Olimar and one of dazwas' characters, I forgot though xD

My point is..he DEFINITELY has potential. I'm sick of people saying..bowser is a fat ****..he's horrible, and getting laughed at when people ask me who I main ( usually I **** them after that xD)

Few hints:

Spacing is key

Up B out of shield when they're too close - Goes hand and hand with Spacing

You need to be able to adjust to everything in a match. Every pattern you have, forget it...don't practice technicalities cause you will just develope patterns. If anything practice the infinite jump.

PLAY PATIENT AND PUNISH!!! when the time is right

Use him in tournies..use him well fellas..cause he can **** if u use him right >:D

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even as an olimar main, I agree. :) He's much better in brawl, and much quicker than most think he is. I don't laugh at bowser even though I 2 stock(out of 3) most I've encountered. He's hard to play against, and patience for olimar is VERY key to my matchup.

Question:Is the infinite jump deceiving? I heard he really does touch the ground, but that the animation is just misleading.

acv

Smash Journeyman
i think every character has tournament potential jut some more than others.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Question:Is the infinite jump deceiving? I heard he really does touch the ground, but that the animation is just misleading.
No, he straight hovers that piece. And yes, it is deceiving, especially if you mix it up with normals. You see, my main training partner is a Bowser main. Pretty much everything in the OP is right on the money. A properly spacing Bowser player is actually very deadly. Just from playing him so many times, I could tell someone the keys to winning.

Spacing, like Buuman said, is number one. Learn it.

Master getting out of tight spots with Up-b. This will save your *** in situations where the spacing got screwed.

If you can master the distance of the foward B, then you will be very hard to approach. That thing has absolutely broken range when "tipped" and I think it catches hitboxes. I swear I've been grabbed impossibly by it.

Bowsercide when a stock up, and they will fear you off the edge.

I could go on, but I wont.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, he straight hovers that piece. And yes, it is deceiving, especially if you mix it up with normals. You see, my main training partner is a Bowser main. Pretty much everything in the OP is right on the money. A properly spacing Bowser player is actually very deadly. Just from playing him so many times, I could tell someone the keys to winning.

Spacing, like Buuman said, is number one. Learn it.

Master getting out of tight spots with Up-b. This will save your *** in situations where the spacing got screwed.

If you can master the distance of the foward B, then you will be very hard to approach. That thing has absolutely broken range when "tipped" and I think it catches hitboxes. I swear I've been grabbed impossibly by it.

Bowsercide when a stock up, and they will fear you off the edge.

I could go on, but I wont.
thanks for the info. I don't use bowser though. :p I have learned about the bowsercide the hard way, lol. I found out that I have just as much control over it as does my opponent so I don't die from it anymore. The infinite jump is incredible.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Cash..look under the thread.."How can the Infinite jump be applied"....I'm sick of repeating myself over and over =/

And what does it matter if bowsers' Infin jump is deceiving, in the animation he does not hit the ground, however if the game reads that he did..and if you were to hit jump again..he would do his FIRST jump..not his second, think about that for a sec.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm just wondering if it's decieving or not b/c I wanted to know if it was possibly to grab him with olimar. If he doesn't touch the ground during the infinite jump, olimar's grab won't grab him. If he does, it should grab him.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Why don't you try to experiment by using the infinite jump and try grabbing with olimar. It won't work. Because, as I stated, if bowser WERE TO HIT THE GROUND, he would use his first jump BECAUSE he hits the ground. Correct me if I'm wrong, when a character hits the ground and hits the jump button..they will do THEIR FIRST JUMP. However bowser does his second jump proving he doesn't touch the ground. :p

Sliq

Smash Master
Bowser only has tournament potential if you are good, and it isn't his own potential so much as my awesomeness.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Bowser has some nasty weapons in his arsenal including: Up B from shield, infinite jump, Fire breathe, The klaw, and that tilt that everyone loves..his f tilt xD. Bowser is one of the quicker heavy weights, some of his moves might not knockout at satisfactory percent, but who cares. He can edge guard like theres no tomorrow. I'd rather kill someone at 27% from edge guarding them, than knocking them out at 90% with a Fsmash

QUIVO

Smash Master
Bowser's underrated. I was playing some guy at a smashfest the other night and he was telling me he loved low tier battles, and I told him that I didn't think Bowser was low tier. So i ended up beating his Ganondorf and his main Snake twice. Bowser's not even my main.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Yea it is true, but the key is to just keep snake in the air.

My Bowser woulod easily get ***** by a good Snake.

tyrone

Smash Rookie
Im using bowser in an upcoming tournamet, its 2v2 no items on FD. My teamate will be using ganondorf, now i play with a group of great smash players and while play testing for the tourney my team win's about 85% of the time the main reason is because bowser's fire breath halts any kind of offensive momentum the other team has and when they get trap in the fire i'll leave ur imagination up to what ganondorf can do 2 to them.The reason ppl think heavyweights are weak is cause of slowness but the reason most ppl think that is because when they use them they try to pull of the most powerfull(slowest) move no matter what damage the opponent is at! that is a noob tactict. when playing with my teamate we use basic attacks most of the time 2 build up damage were not trying 2 pull of haymakers every chance we get. then my teamate will usually yell TILT READY........its just a term we use when someone on the other teams damage is at 110% or higher which means that almost any tilt move from bowser will send them flying off with almost no chance of coming back. also as far as us winning 85% of the time its aginst the teams that will most likely be used in the tourney like ike's ,marth's, MK's,snake' all those so called top tier characters.the only team we seem to have problems with is any team with D3 on it or any team with zelda. zelda will usually spam here din's fire aginst us and as for KING DEDEDE......................NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think Bowser can win touney with actual good players. Maybe a touney with players who are new,still learning or think their good but not one with "pros" To many bad match ups to face off against and so many characters can combo/chaingrab him easily.

I got that one Peach player beating him before he actually gets to the tougher characters.

Buuman

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think Bowser can win touney with actual good players. Maybe a touney with players who are new,still learning or think their good but not one with "pros" To many bad match ups to face off against and so many characters can combo/chaingrab him easily.

I got that one Peach player beating him before he actually gets to the tougher characters.
lmao..you don't even know..you can't just assume. Just got back from a tourny yesterday..beat corts wario with bowser..had no idea how to play against bower. I don't want to even hear it lol

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
lmao..you don't even know..you can't just assume. Just got back from a tourny yesterday..beat corts wario with bowser..had no idea how to play against bower. I don't want to even hear it lol
I don't know who cort is

but my point was that it will be a looooooong time before a Bowser player wins a touney seeing all the infinites and combos characters can pull on him so easily.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't know who cort is

but my point was that it will be a looooooong time before a Bowser player wins a touney seeing all the infinites and combos characters can pull on him so easily.
Also true.

You can only use Bowser as a counterpick, really.

If you get counterpicked and someone chooses Dedede, you're basically f*cked if they land even a single grab on you unless they mess up the infinite, and even if they do, they'll likely get 50-75% free damage on you anyway.

Buuman

Smash Ace
You guys are right to a certain extent. Just to inform you all cort is PC chris' teamate. They're both nasty..if you guys want to know my tournament strategy here it is, so listen up: Have a secondary (In my case it's D3) Use him on the random scrubs to wipe them out easy in the beginning of the tournament. Then when you begin fighting the better players..whip out the novelty factor (bowser)..I've been to many tournaments..and this has worked. Try it ;)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
People like PC Chris and Cort will still **** Bowser's *** in tournament. Beating Cort's wario though funny is not that big of an accomplishment. You have to beat their mains in tournament imho I beat KoreanDJ's DK.. is that huge? ;)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Everyone gets ***** by Snake.
too true my good man too true
Uh no. There are a few characters that definitely have advantage on Snake.

MK (who is better than Snake), Falco, Pikachu, and maybe Zelda.

It's more like almost everyone gets flat out ***** by MK and G&W. Snake, while very good, has fewer flat out **** matchups than those two, so he's less threatening overall when you take all characters in the grand scheme.

Sliq

Smash Master
Uh no. There are a few characters that definitely have advantage on Snake.

MK (who is better than Snake), Falco, Pikachu, and maybe Zelda.

It's more like almost everyone gets flat out ***** by MK and G&W. Snake, while very good, has fewer flat out **** matchups than those two, so he's less threatening overall when you take all characters in the grand scheme.
No, MK get's ruined by Snake. All Snake has to do is hold a nade, and almost all of MK's moves will set it off, damaging them both, and Snake lives a LOT longer than MK.

Top Bottom