• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser has no good match ups

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
But I created this topic to bash Bowser xD. I'm pointing out the bad points about Bowser and the fact that he has no good match ups.

I'll still main him but the truth must be heard.

@Smash Brother. I'm sure it drives the hardcore touney***s crazy when I pwn them with my Bowser as well. I'm not really into touneys I just enjoy playing friendly matches. You'd probably be surprised what characters I've beaten with my Bowser and the level the players played them at.
If you say so >_>

Popertop

Smash Champion
It makes me sad that he doesn't have these advantages.
You'd think since he was so bad in Melee they'd improve him more.
Give him loads of super armor or something so he can compete, but no.
Sakurai had to F*** up something else.

The Bino

Smash Lord
just tossing this out there

Bowser is one of the most emotional chars in the game, take a look after the match, when he wins hes roaring and is super happy.... now when he loses he'll cap, but he never looks @ the camera, and he looks like someone just stole something from him...... its quite funny

MURT!!!

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm picking up Bowser as a secondary right now, because i think he'll help me win tournaments. Am i wrong? I know he's got many weaknesses, but I was thinking that since no one practices against him much, it could be a good counterpick against some players. Like Olimar. He helps me beat Olimar.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Whatever character you feel you can win with is good for you. If you feel like you would be better off and have more fun playing Bowser, then be it.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I'm picking up Bowser as a secondary right now, because i think he'll help me win tournaments. Am i wrong? I know he's got many weaknesses, but I was thinking that since no one practices against him much, it could be a good counterpick against some players. Like Olimar. He helps me beat Olimar.
In tourney filled with good players your chances of winning using Bowser is really really slim. I don't see Bowser winning any popular tourney's or high class tourney's w/e they call them for a looooooooong time maybe even never.

In a local tourney around your area then yeah your probably have a good chance at winning (not saying the guys in your area suck they probably don't)

Bowser has no good match ups aside from Ganondorf at which I can confirm. As far as everyone else its either a bad match up or his worst match up. Not even an even one.

I think Ike and Sonic also maybe his good match ups but I'm not 100% sure. I mean Ike is a real hand full and seeing that he can kill even Bowser at 50-60%...

Ike does have a lot of lag in his moves but then their that Standard A of his at which I think is really crazy. You have got to play a good Ike. Its like he can do a Fair then go right into his Standard A. Whenever I bring Ike to me (using firebreath to lure him in) I wait for that Fair but it pushes Bowser back just enough that he can't punish with a grab (and Bowser has lame grabbing range) so I'll do a Standard A but then Ike's Standard A comes out before mine. This is right after he does his Fair O.o

Its crazy. This only happens when I brawl good Ike's. I'm not sure if their some kinda tech for him to be able to do that seeing I don't check out the Ike forums but Ike is tough when being played right for Bowser. At least for me anyways.

Sonic is pretty predictable for the most part but I can't go into detail on him plus I'm lazy atm (lol)

WithinTemptation

Smash Cadet
Ok, i must say, i agree with some of the bashing posts up here: playing a good bowser is really a challenge, compared to if you meet anyone of skill with either a extremely fast char og master of comboes, but then again, nothing is impossible in ssb so if you prefer Bowser, then go for it an keep smashing!

Wich chars i really do enjoy fighting is Fox, Falcon, Falco, Bowser, the Pokemon playables and Kirby.
I know most of these chars can lay a hurricane of fast attacks wich will keep a bowser suprized/confused but usually once i have the opprotunity to get close and slam on some heavy attacks and grabs, i usually feel like a green mean damagemachine hehe :p Bowser needs good timing with hits and must be a God at variation with attacks, but if you ever master this, it is a true glory to play with him.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I would say Bowser is at advantage against Ike. He can stop every approach he has.

I agree that most people underestimate Bowser and as such don't know what to expect of him,
and a good spacing Bowser is a force to be reckoned with regardless of how terrible he may end up being.

I think we should wait a year or at least a few more months before we complain about how terrible our main is.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I would say Bowser is at advantage against Ike. He can stop every approach he has.

I agree that most people underestimate Bowser and as such don't know what to expect of him,
and a good spacing Bowser is a force to be reckoned with regardless of how terrible he may end up being.

I think we should wait a year or at least a few more months before we complain about how terrible our main is.
yeah true but as of now compare to the rest of the cast he's horrible. lol but maybe something will turn up. Like idk flame cancel. (one can only dream)

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
ive come to realize bowser is all about patience and spacing.
even though he has few/no matchups in his favor, a smart, patient bowser will eat his opponent alive with well placed tilts, <> B's, firebreath, and AA combos. these moves are bowsers bread and butter. another thing is I rarely RUN with bowser, i am usually walking. Bowser is supposed to be a grounded hulk who occasionally goes to the air for a infinite chain of jumps to mindgame, fair, bair, or the seldon uair and nair.

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah i dont see bowser winning any 1v1 tourneys anytime soon, however as a doubles he is a very good partner, i play bowser with a friend who either plays DK or marth bowser has alot of doubles potential, get somebody in that fire breath for even 2 seconds and DK is there to smash em right in the face, insta k.o. and the generally chemistry of dk and bowser together seems to work pretty well, it might just be we've been smash teamates for years but i think bowser is a great doubles partner.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I like to play random team games and I generally find I tear up the place, but the fire breath is key to holding enemies in place while your partner hits them for a KO.

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
Due to Bowsers many diisadvantages I felt sorry for him and anyone who plays him. I even go easy on anyone who plays against me as Bowser.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You shouldn't. Bowser has an infinite chaingrab against Ness.

Beware Bowser players who know what they're doing.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
Dias, your Bowser is not as good as you claim it to be.

Play against WK or something, I bet he roflpwns all over your face.

Anyways, Bowser is fantastic. F Tilt stops pretty much anything. Hell, it stops Lucarios Auro Sphere even at full charge.

I'd even go as far to say that if tires do infact exits, Bowser will be top middle, or lower top.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Dias, your Bowser is not as good as you claim it to be.

Play against WK or something, I bet he roflpwns all over your face.

Anyways, Bowser is fantastic. F Tilt stops pretty much anything. Hell, it stops Lucarios Auro Sphere even at full charge.

I'd even go as far to say that if tires do infact exits, Bowser will be top middle, or lower top.
I played him, he did beat me, we talked about this subject, and He agreed with me and said I had a great Bowser. (just need to kick some habits)

Exia 00

Smash Champion
as a new bowser main i have realized that he has no good match ups but i think that is why i have so much more fun with him.i love a good challenge based on raw talent. im not bashing on any characters but characters such as game and watch seem to have an advantage on most of the roster , and beating
the higher tier or a counter for bowser feels like you have acheived something.(of coarse skill level is a factor aswell)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Bowser has a good match up against Lucas and Ness. He can chain grab them, and every time you land a grab, you can hit them with an Ftilt.

Happy now?

gantrain05

Smash Master
hey now, bowser can't be TOO fat and dumb, he somehow manages to kidnap the princess in every mario game lol.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Bowser has a good match up against Lucas and Ness. He can chain grab them, and every time you land a grab, you can hit them with an Ftilt.

Happy now?
yeah kinda sucks for the Ness mains out their (including myself) Why couldn't have been Marth with the whole grab exploit? That would have made my days much better. :laugh: (I really hate brawling Marth's)

Ness can also PKF spam Bowser till about 60% so its not all that bad against him.

I used to use Ness to brawl Wolf campers now I don't because of that lame exploit. >.<

Amide

Smash Lord

Happy now?
I thought only Marth and PT could do that grab thing, never mind I guess.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Hmmmm looking at this thread a lot of bowser users think their own character stinks. Maybe you people were right when you said dont base matchups on fights with your friends. Well then anyone wanna fight me? I wont learn about how bowser is bad unless you fight me! Thats right im challenging you bowser people cause im bored and have never fought any bowsers other than my friend.

gantrain05

Smash Master
bowser at least has one good matchup, at least for me anyway, i can always wtfpwn ganons =/ that isnt saying much considering ganon is probably the worst character in the game.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Good thing I killed that guy with my Fsmash, and now that I'm at 120 I'll try to bowsercide. Oh look I did it, looks like I'm a whole stock ahead. Who needs "good matchups" when you can do that?

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is insanely fun, like Ganon, but sadly, I can't use them much because they just plain suck... I mean who doesn't like to bowsercide or get that Warlock punch off and have the nice feeling of killing someone at 20%. I think the reason for them not being too good is that they're pure power, no finesse. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it's purely based off of opinion, I've never been to either of their boards)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
bowser at least has one good matchup, at least for me anyway, i can always wtfpwn ganons =/ that isnt saying much considering ganon is probably the worst character in the game.
I think Yoshi has that honor, from what I've heard. From a technical standpoint, his moves have such low priority that he gets whomped VERY easily.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I could pwn Wolf spammers pretty well, but then it's not much of an accomplishment to me. I really dont know about Bowser and his good matchups. As a Bowser mainer I never knew who he was good against. I'll have to say I dont even know who Bowser is good against. I never realized this after seeing this topic. That dont mean Bowser is bad though.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Ness still has a big advantage over Bowser I mean what player is actually going to keep grab Ness to get him up to about 120% then Ftilt him? That would take to long plus smart Ness players won't let you grab them and its hard to grab Ness with Bowser seeing his fair is so godly against Bowser.

Yeah his only real good match up is Ganondorf. All of the other characters are either bad or worst in terms of match ups.

How do you guys deal with Roll spamming Zelda's? Its hard to infinity jump her because of Din's Fire and fear of her fair and bair then her Upsmash is sooo hard to get around for big target characters.

I try to play with patience but then I get Din's Fire spammed to death xD. What do you guys usually do against them?

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
How do you guys deal with Roll spamming Zelda's? Its hard to infinity jump her because of Din's Fire and fear of her fair and bair then her Upsmash is sooo hard to get around for big target characters.

I try to play with patience but then I get Din's Fire spammed to death xD. What do you guys usually do against them?
Zelda can be tough if she can use that fire good. I reccomend dodging. I dont play bowser myself but if shes shooting fire at you thats the only thing any character can do.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
From my experience, the way through Din's spam is just running towards her and shielding when it comes. Shields are not easy to break, so unless you just stand on one spot eating Dins, you shouldn't have a problem with that. The only challenge I can see is that when you've finally closed the distance, Zelda's ready to make her next attack before you can drop your shield. She doesn't get a big head start so it's not the end of the world, but it is something to keep in mind. Also, go to Smashville. It's smaller and without platforms to screw things up. Other than that I'm not sure what the problem is. Perhaps I'm missing something. Once your in close, your range >> hers and your tilts are fast enough to make life hard for her so her goal will be to throw off that pattern. If she's in the air, stay the hell away from her unless you're directly below her. Her SH fair isn't hard to see coming.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As my experience goes, I just rush at Zelda, and keep her at close distance, and this is where Fortress outta shielding helps but wait til u see that oppurtunity come then use it. Even though the play you say rolls you must read his mind, prepare to attack.
One thing to do is try to get Zelda above you but not when she is off the edge. The U-air will KO her quickly, and if you are above her, try using Bowser Bomb when she jumps after you, but try to mix it up or the enemy will predict you.
I got a replay of me fightin some Zelda, and maybe you can get ideas from it.

Top Bottom