• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser has new edge game/ I figured out new edge game

Popertop

Smash Champion
Against spacies and generally anyone character that prefers a straight-ish horizontal recovery versus a vertical one.

Also general things.

Hanging from the ledge while opponent is recovering:

You can ledgehop a bair or an uair with little to no consequence and kill at mid percents and maybe lower, depending on who your opponent is.

If you are under 100% you can ledge attack (it will knock them backwards if they are behind you) and drop a bair on them depending on how they react.

Jump from ledge (not ledgehop, press jump while still holding onto ledge) and do a turnaround-b to get them lower. If they DI towards you to get back on the ledge, that's more free damage for you. If they DI away, you can get on the ledge and "do something crazy" as Milln would say... (but he mains Lucario who, incidentally, also has crazy edge game)

Standing near ledge while opponent is recovering:

Condition them to think straight horizontal approach is safe, then punish with Fire Breath.
Once they get used to that, they will most likely
a) recover from just a little higher, or much higher, depending on their preferences or
b) go straight for the ledge

If they go for the ledge, you can send a stream of fire breath to rack up some percent, or just a flame tickle to stun so you can get on the edge.

If they go for the higher recovery option, which they will think is safe because no one expects this, you can interrupt with an uair or usmash, which will kill them on any stage because of the low ceilings, and since they are off the stage, they are probably at mid percents, which makes this option particularly lethal and tasty.

I felt like keeping this to myself at first, but seeing the bowser boards a bit lacking for mindgame strategies, I contributed. Gotta help out mah fellow Bowser mains.

Discuss. :D

P.S. I'm now naming my next pet Bowser. How badass does a dog named Bowser sound? Especially the 80 lb. + ones?
Also, at a tournament, I told someone I main Bowser, and they laughed at me.
I plan on three stocking them next time I see them.

Edit: Also, I'm looking for someone to make me a kickass sig.
If you're interested, pm me and we'll discuss the details. :)

Popertop

Smash Champion
I said it was mainly for chars. that prefer their horizontal recovery (i.e. spacies, sometimes Ike, whoever), although I am trying to work something out against vertical recovery, I'm not making much progress considering I don't have Wii + Brawl.

But thank you for the approval. *bows*
:bee:

Buuman

Smash Ace
Bowser has MANY options on the edge, do whatever you're the most comfortable with..the key is DON'T OVER ANALYZE A FIGHT. The key to Smash Brothers is the ability to adjust. But back to the topic, B air is nice from a ledge hop. I have some other tricks I won't share till I have some vids up xD

Popertop

Smash Champion
Bowser has MANY options on the edge, do whatever you're the most comfortable with..the key is DON'T OVER ANALYZE A FIGHT. The key to Smash Brothers is the ability to adjust. But back to the topic, B air is nice from a ledge hop. I have some other tricks I won't share till I have some vids up xD
Awww, c'mon!
SHARE!
:D

Popertop

Smash Champion
nice. thanks for the help, this will help agaisnt my friends. but for flying char u gotta find a way around it
yeah, this is a very limited view of edgeguarding as a whole because this is only for use against characters that have a much better over-b recovery that is straight-ish in trajectory, and whose up-b is not much help (READ: Falco, Fox sometimes, Ike sometimes, others).

If we pool our brains together, I'm sure we could come up with something against the gliders and other types of up-b's.

:)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
For a space furry who likes to illusion back onto the stage, try to figure out where they're going to land ahead of time and Up/Dsmash at that location.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Man Bowser is only meant to edgeguard and I was almost POSITIVE we didn't need a thread for ledge hop Bair, but thanks none the less sir :D

Popertop

Smash Champion
You're welcome. :D
I was just trying to get some discussion on Bowser and his edge game going.

It would be pretty pointless to just post a thread going,
"LHbair

10char"

Wombat-Slayer

Smash Cadet
I think a great strategy for a ledge game is d+bing onto the ledge... it takes practice, and the penalty is suicide if you miss, but I've gotten so good at it, that I don't really ever have a problem

By quickly down+bing onto the ledge, you can avoid being juggled, plus you can surprise them with a quick ledge recovery and move into a great smash :]

Flayl

Smash Hero
yes i'm using that as much as possible (and get myself killed sometimes, that'll stop happening with enough practice)

i wouldn't recommend doing a ledge attack if you're over 100% tho, so be careful not to buffer it after you bowser bomb

Flayl

Smash Hero
that's what I wrote.
LHbair.
what kevin is saying is that you don't need the "10char" to post "LHbair ." (quote him)

but enough of that

a flame tickle, from what i understand, is using fire breath so that it hits the opponent only once to stop their horizontal momentum

Buuman

Smash Ace
everything has a use at certain times, and back airing for edgeguarding is definitely not a bad idea

Top Bottom