• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Footstool Combo

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
Guys, tell me if this is useful or not.

I realized a way to always footstool your opponent using bombs.

Simply:

Short Hop or Full Hop - Down Throw - Footstool.
(Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTWL01pmXlU)

It works on ANY character at virtually ANY percentage. It should be quite useful seeing as it combos straight into Jab lock (Footstool - FF Nair - Jab - Jab - Etc). Also, its a guaranteed kill with Dair.

Update:

New, easier way of doing it ( At least at medium/high percentages):

Short Hop Bomb DROP (NOT throw) - Second Jump Behind opponent - Footstool.

Here they have a longer tumble animation, and more chance for you to hit them with Dair or w/e you want. I don't think you can Jab lock out of it though.

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
Its kinda like Toon Link's Bair Footstool. Its inescapable and you can't DI away from the footstool.

Maybe its not a combo, but more like a setup. Since you can set up jab lock easily after a footstool.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
it's in no way a combo
Please explain... to me, i would rather pull this combo off than simply doing an fsmash or something like that. I would settle for this over any other combo. Or do you mean that this is not a combo because it is easily escapable?

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
it still sucks because if you get that close to footstool them then you could do so many better things, or they just suck horribly. You should NOT be able to get that close to your opponent as link, if you do you're doin' it rong
Agreed on the part that you shouldn't let your opponent get close to you, however your opponent will attempt approach you and get close eventually. If he doesn't, he sucks and will get his *** kicked.

Aurashade said:
you could do so many better things
Whats better than a potential Infinite and Link's strongest kill move O_o...

Might I add, there was a thread before where people were desperately trying to find a footstool combo with Link since it combo'd into Dair and Jablock.

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
Alright did some testing.

It is a combo, but aurashade is right. You shouldn't be getting that close to your opponent, so using it offensively is a bad idea.

Faced 2 marths (people not cpu), and it worked only when I predicted their approach (didn't pull off jablock though)

Still need more input.

D

Deleted member

im surprised as **** that i havent noticed this sooner because i use the sh down throw bomb nair combo a lot

aura im going to have to totally disagree with you this time, this will be hella useful and will probably be the thing that helps link out majorly against falco and snake.

want the easiest way to set up for this?
jump out of shield > sh bomb footstool combo

wow now i want to play this game even more :\ too bad im stuck playing melee T_T

great find linkforce

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I've down thrown so many bombs at opponents, but never thought to follow it up with a footstool....dang, this looks cool.

Izaw

Smash Ace
This is good. Real good. Also insanly hard to pull off in a real match o.o

Great find!

AD1

Smash Rookie
Great find. Don't know how practical it is in actual use but the fact that you CAN do it helps link out greatly. I actually use short bombs a lot so imagine landing this combo while you're at a high percentage and stealing a stock from a top character

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
Easier version of this at medium/high percentages:

Short hop Bomb DROP (not throw) - Second Jump Behind Opponent - Footstool.

Effect: You jump behind your opponent and the bomb sends your opponent flying towards you, easily setting up a footstool.

I find this one a bit more practical.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
ive actually used something similar for toon link. Like if they are rolling to the edge, a quick dash sh down bomb throw to a spike can sometimes kill them. mostly due to their bad di. They will probably di away from u and to the edge, so when u do spike them with dair they go diagonally down.

Though this is a much better idea. Doesnt restrict where u can do it on the stage, and % doesnt really matter.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Something about not attacking my opponent and instead jumping on his head makes this hard for me to do....I need to practice it, cause it goes against my usual instincts.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
The jab lock doesn't seem awfully practical, but the Dair one looks pretty efficient. I got to try this XD So it's SH-> Down throw bomb-> Footstool->Dair. To put it simply. :p

Extremely nice find. :D

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I just have a grudge agianst the jab lock. I don't get caught by it, it's just that it's annoying to me because when I play Melee, I play fast and the jab lock isn't really all to fast. So I try to do it at lightning speed, only to get the second jab. I have no patience for the jab lock. I like working up the damage fairly. :p Also, I like the Dair one, it's amazing for an inescapable kill.

4Serial

Smash Lord
How is doing the jab lock unfair? It's just as fair as Falco and Dedede's chaingrab, and it's not even as damaging. Setting up for the jab lock is extremely hard and so is keeping it up and finishing it nicely. If anything, I'd respect a smasher for being able to do a jablock in a tournament match. Think if it like a waveshine or something <_<
footstool > ff n-air lock > jab lock > d-air kill would look so much more sexy than a footstool > d-air imo.
Plus, if you footstool > d-air, you're probably going to hit with a late, weaker part of the d-air and do less knockback and damage. The Jablock will let you hit with the strongest first few frames of the d-air.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
^ A close ranged boomerang seems to setup for a jab lock quite nicely.

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
I just realized something,

You don't really need to short hop at all. Short hopping actually makes it harder. Full hop down throw works alot better.

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
Very interesting. I'll have to practice this when I get another chance to play. It'll definitely be hard to find a practical use for it though. Especially if it starts being used often and can be foreseen.

4Serial

Smash Lord
^ A close ranged boomerang seems to setup for a jab lock quite nicely.
I know. It's just that you'll rarely do a close ranged boomerang since you can get grabbed or punished at such close range. And even when you do get it off, some times they aren't close enough or you just don't think about doing the jab lock. I've seen everyone just dash attack after a close ranged boomerang. It's just not something you think about in the heat of battle unless you're winning by a lot and going for it.

D

Deleted member

I know. It's just that you'll rarely do a close ranged boomerang since you can get grabbed or punished at such close range. And even when you do get it off, some times they aren't close enough or you just don't think about doing the jab lock. I've seen everyone just dash attack after a close ranged boomerang. It's just not something you think about in the heat of battle unless you're winning by a lot and going for it.
that and people who know how to fight link will automatically tech the GB. its impossible for me to start a jab lock with my GB against my brother because legan did that to him at the JCCC tourney.

thanks for screwing me legan :p lol

Swordplay

Smash Lord
for loz i actually tried it and pulled it off......Too bad it was against my friends Iceclimbers....(for obvious reasons it won't work on IC)

result.....nana grabbed me :(

shoulda seen that coming......

really was hoping my first time doing this would of been on a character you can perform this on
EX: entire brawl cast except IC.

Top Bottom