• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blazblue Mafia: Game Over! Ouroboros Breaks the Cycle

Takamagahara

Smash Apprentice

[collapse=Flips and Winners!]

Joey: Tsubaki, Mafia Executioner has been lynched!

Potassium: Platinum, Town Jack of All Trades is victorious!

Red Ryu: Tager, Town Mason is victorious!

Jexs: Arakune and Litchi, Town Millers are victorious!

[/collapse]

Town Wins!

We'll see you next time... when sign-ups go up for the NEW Continuum Shift. Thanks for playing and we hope you all had a good time.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'll do commentary on the game after Dietz posts roles.

In the end, I'm not sure if it was TOO mafia sided or not. I knew that it was going to be mafia-tilted and I'm okay with that because swing is fine if it creates a positive experience (as I believe it did, correct me if I'm wrong). However, all of mafia's intended checks from town just fizzled. About the only curve balls that worked were Raz having a double vote and Raz coming out as a tracker inconveniently. That, and obviously the vig shot (well done saving your hide with that and then cleaning up your act).

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I reacted stupid, I accept that.

People trying to lynch me from it without Chaco was moronic.
I don't think any townie was going to lynch you on it without Chaco and I certainly would not have removed my vote before he showed up.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'm a little eh on orbo's wincon being something he had little to do with at all, but hey thems the breaks. Overall I'd still say this was a tremendously well done set up

JeXs

Smash Champion
He meant other than Gorf!

Ryu, I could tell you lost motivation to play after Day 1 but I'm really glad that you took the trouble to reread and put in effort to make the right choice in the end so good job on that! :)

Maven89

Smash Master
Game was very fun, at least for me. The presentation was damn great

Annoyed I got vig'd but that's the game. Ty to Glyph for giving me a simple scum guide.

I still don't understand why Soup claimed his executioner role, but I guess no one else did either and it turned out to be postive, at least until the end

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Game was very fun, at least for me. The presentation was damn great.
Dietz was responsible for about 85% of the presentation while I was mainly responsible for the set-up and being a plug in the dam when Dietz wasn't around. I just pointed out what we COULD do with the Chrono Phantasma resources. Applaud him.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
He meant other than Gorf!

Ryu, I could tell you lost motivation to play after Day 1 but I'm really glad that you took the trouble to reread and put in effort to make the right choice in the end so good job on that! :)
Tbh you played right before Lylo. I was't sure then. It was only when. Potassium/Kantrip told me to look at Joey that I did. I looked at him when I considered why he agreeded.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Tbh you played right before Lylo. I was't sure then. It was only when. Potassium/Kantrip told me to look at Joey that I did. I looked at him when I considered why he agreeded.
request rephrase

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I like how the only people talking between the two flips were the players in the game at the end (including Soup who replaced out) and that fit the flavor perfectly.

Takamagahara

Smash Apprentice
Roles!

There were quite a lot of interesting potential interplays between roles this game which we'll talk about shortly, but here's the PMs to start with:

Town:

[collapse="Ragna"]

Welcome to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Ragna, Town Public Enemy #1

You're a wanted man, and for good reason. You have the highest bounty the world has ever known on your head for being the only man insane enough to attempt to destroy multiple Novus Orbis Librarium bases single-handed... and succeeding. You came to Kagutsuchi seeking to destroy the cauldron here. But it seems that pretty much everyone else is seeking to destroy you. If I was you, I would try not to let that happen.

Active Abilities:
Sleep with One Eye Open
God you are so ****ed. Each night you may pick one player to keep an eye on. You will avoid any and all actions they take towards you that night.

Passive Abilities:

Wanted Man
There's a literal laundry list of people out there that want to kill, capture, maim, or otherwise harm you.

First off there's your brother Jin he's always been pretty crazy.
But not as crazy as that asshole in the fedora, Hazama... aka Terumi.
Then again there's that Hakumen guy who's been chasing you around Kagutsuchi, monologueing at you.
Speaking of people trying to murder you constantly, we can't forget Nu-13, crazy *****.
You're pretty sure you're still on the Red Devil's errand list too, so you better avoid Tager.
That kid in the top hat Carl has shown an unhealthy interest in you as well.
And all that's not even beginning to mention the creepy babbling blob thing Arakune, always muttering about the Azure.
So whether they're after your life, your Azure Grimoire, or the bounty on your head you're pretty sure most of the world wants you. And not in a good way. You could be overreacting, some of them may not be after you. But better safe than sorry eh "Grim Reaper"?

Win Condition:
You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Ragna Secret Interactions"]

If Ragna targets Hazama with “One Eye Open” he will lose all powers, lose possession of the Azure, and Hazama will gain “Psychic Houtenjin”

If Arakune targets Ragna while he possesses the Azure, he will take the Azure from Ragna and become an Abductor.

If Nu targets Ragna while he possesses the Azure, the slots will merge and become the Black Beast, Serial Killer.

If Nu targets Ragna while he does not possess the Azure, the slots will merge and become Town Watcher.

If Ragna dies:

Arakune becomes town if there is no Azure, otherwise he seeks Hazama.

Nu's slot dies, but becomes town aligned and joins the QT of Kokonoe and Tager. Deployable once by Kokonoe to pad Town majority.

If Jin (or mafia) killed him, Jin becomes Hakumen and gains his Astral Heat.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Carl]
Welcome Raziek and Xonar to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Carl and Nirvana, Town Tracker(s)

You're still grieving over the loss of your Dad... he was just the BEST. Sure sometimes he was a bit of a dork, but he was your dad. He could easily beat anyone else's dad (and by that you mean that he'd probably have Mom beat them up). But somewhere out there his killer rests, and you simply won't be able to until you find them and bring them to justice.

Active Abilities:

Track
You're driven to find your father's killer, and once per night may investigate one player. You will be informed who (if anyone) that player visited.

Passive Abilities:

Automoton
Unlike every other player in this game you can hear the voice of your sister Ada. You have no idea why they insist on calling her that strange other name... but no matter. You may communicate freely with Xonar (Nirvana) at any time. But at NO time may he post in thread, or you will be modkilled.

Restrictions:

Yahtzee.exe
Xonar is literally unable to deny Raziek a request to play Yahtzee. You may use this site to play Yahtzee: http://www.pogo.com/games/yahtzee-party

Ada Please!
You're still looking for Dad's killer, now is no time to play Yahtzee! If Raziek is caught playing Yahtzee at any point prior to your death, you will be modkilled. This will be on the honor system, if I find out you were playing Yahtzee and didn't tell me; you will both be blacklisted from future games.

To the Crazy House With You
Should Xonar post in thread, you will be carted away in a straight-jacket and be promptly modkilled.

Win Condition:
You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.[/collapse]

[collapse=Hazama]

Welcome Orboknown to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Hazama, Town Disabler

Some people may have called you a psychopath in the past, but you are most certainly not behind this murder. But Damn-it, it if anyone is going to be killing people around here it's you! Granted generally you are known for manipulating others into whatever you want, and yes your desires mostly don't correspond with things... healthy for the other party. But what's a little death, kidnapping, and maiming between friends? This time you're in it with everyone else.. In an effort to stop everyone from stealing your thunder.

Active Abilities:

Jayaku Houtenjin
This is quite possibly the most satisfying move to land in the entire Blazblue continuity. One night during the game you may activate this ability, anyone you targets you that night will receive a quick kick to the chin and be informed they spent the night in hitstun. They will get no other results, and you will be unaffected.

Passive Abilities:

Good ol' Rags
You've got a special hate-hate relationship with Bardeezy (Ragna the Bloodedge). You'd know him anywhere.

Grand Old Time
Whenever you meet up with good ol' Rags you seem to have a ball! That said Ragna has always been one to avoid running into you (for good reason), so you doubt he'd stick his neck out for ol' Hazama any time soon, 'specially not if you asked. However, if Ragna targets you, you're pretty sure something good will happen for you. You're sure he'll be able to do so through any Houtenjin you may throw at him... Nothing like a little extra red hot hate to cement that tenuous observational existence you've been holding onto, mmm mmm.

Win Condition:
[/collapse]

[collapse=Tager]

Welcome Red Ryu to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Tager, Town Mason

Known to most only as Sector 7's fearsome Red Devil (we swear we randomized this), very few match your size or strength, let alone both at once. Changed forever by the Demonic DNA and magnetic machinery you've been implanted with, you've long forgotten your true self. However you will never forget the one who was forced to do so to save your life, Professor and leader of Sector 7, Kokonoe. Her decisions can often be rash, and frequently as questionable as her full sanity, but in the end you'll do everything in your power to see them through. No matter what.

Passive Abilities:

Sector 7
You know with absolute certainty that Chaco (Kokonoe) is town. You may speak to him freely at any time.

Win Condition:
[/collapse]

[collapse=Kokonoe]

Welcome Chaco to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Kokonoe, Town Mason

A quite literal genius and apparent leader of the mysterious organization Sector 7, you hold a lot of sway in the shadowy world outside of the NOL's iron rule. With a bevy of technological wonders at your disposal (not the least of which being your go-to strongman Tager) there are few things in this world you can't accomplish. Indeed, as the daughter of two of the Six Heroes, you are one of the only creatures on the planet left with access to true sorcery; but your family has paid dearly for this privilege. Your Mother, the greatest sorceress the world had ever known, was murdered by the ex-Hero Terumi in a bid for that very power. Nearly orphaned and swearing to eschew all magic in favor of more scientific methods, you're driven now only by the pursuit of science, revenge, and the science of revenge. Hoping one day to set this world right as only you can see fit.

Passive Abilities:

Sector 7
You know with absolute certainty that your creation Red Ryu (Tager) is town. You may speak freely to him at any time.

Win Condition:
You are town aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.[/collapse]

[collapse=Bang]

Welcome Werekill to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Bang, Town Hero of Love and Justice

As far as human being can possibly get from "reserved", you believe actions speak louder than words... though your words are pretty loud in their own right all things considered. Self proclaimed "Hero of Ikaruga" you ride on the winds and love of Justice, bringing down your deadly ninja arts (and a six foot long steel nail on anyone brazen) unlucky enough to earn your ire. Though you would never kill a foe who did not truly deserve it, many a perceived challenger has fallen under your artfully honed blows. Heck you're so good you even have ninja students! Ask any of them, they'll tell you the same.

Active Abilities:

Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan
Upon unlocking all four Burning Heart seals, you can PM the mod to unleash the raw power and blinding speed of your most Forbidden Art. All votes will be immediately erased followed by a 24 hour period in which no votes will be counted. At the end of this period, all players will be put to L-1. This will extend the day-phase if necessary.

Passive Abilities:

Burning Heart
Any time another player in the game posts the word "Bang" in thread you may release the power contained in one of the four seals of your Ninpo. Your seals reset at the end of every day phase.

Restrictions:
You must dodge the all-capslock censor at least once each day.

Win Condition:
[/collapse]

[collapse=Kagura]

Welcome We Thuggin to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Kagura, Town Ladykiller

A Novus Orbis Librarium General and head of the prestigious Mutsuki family, you're secretly working against the NOL as a follower of the late Ikarugan General Tenjo.... blah blah we all know why you're really here. Look: you're a one note character. But you hit that note long and hard (if you know what I mean). You here for 'da *******, the hoes, the ladies. Your moves are so slick. There is no woman, or somewhat womanly thing out there that can resist your advances. And you know it.

Active Abilities:

Big Pimpin'
You know how to butter a lady up. Any female character you target will recieve a double-vote. But you don't swing the other way... if you target a dude they'll be voteblocked. You'll be more than happy to use their emasculated vote though...

Win Condition:

[collapse=Platinum]

Welcome Kantrip to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Platinum, Town Jack of All Trades

You are... well what you are is a piece of work. Very little is known about your backstory, but it must be some kind of ****ed up one to produce this character. You have three souls: The impudent girl Luna, the polite young boy Sena, and the legendary Hero of the Six Heroes Trinity. And unfortunately for everyone who has ever come across you, Luna is typically in the driver's seat. Within your tiny magical girl body lies a wealth of power, if only you could get it to do exactly what you wanted. Oh well, it is what it is.

Active Abilities:

Magical Symphony
Using your Nox Nyctores as a focus you can create the tools for three different one-shot abilities: One shot Cop, One shot Doc, and One shot Vig. You may use one each night phase. Use them carefully for if they are blocked by any means you do not get them back.

Restrictions:

Brat
You pretty much don't like anyone here, and think more than half of them are knuckle dragging aqua-lungs. You must show your distaste for them once per day by sticking your tongue out at someone via smiley, image, or even text. If you think your attempt to stick your tongue out at someone is questionable ask, as you do not want to break your restriction. =p

Win Condition:

[collapse=Azreal]

Welcome Gorf to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Azrael, Town Mad Dog Jailer

Whoa hey now, calm down... we don't need any problems: we're just trying to give you the role PM. Okay? Okay... Jesus, you don't have to jump at everyone that you see. Or then again maybe you do, it's kind of your thing. You're Azrael, the Mad Dog of Sector 7. You're entirely obsessed with your own strength and constantly seek out new opponents on the battlefield to test it against. You've just recently been let out of your cage at Sector 7, almost literally, after two years of being in cryo-stasis for the safety of yourself and others (but mostly others). Now though, someone has finally let you off the leash, and you're more than hungry for more. They may think they found safety, but it was you: Azreal.

Active Abilities:

1v1 Me Gaylord
You may challenge a player to mortal combat during the night phase. Any and all actions that player attempts will fail, instead revealing that they were "assaulted by a man with frame traps too good" to take their action. Any and all actions other players would attempt to make against that player will also be blocked with the message that they saw a "sight too fearsome to challenge and had to return home". You're not about to let anyone interrupt your slaughter fun.

Restrictions:

Not Even Worth My Time
You may not 1v1 a player after you have successfully challenged them once. They already took their lumps (and you weren't impressed).

Win Condition:

[collapse=Eventual Litchi and Arakune Town Role]
Your role has been updated!

You are now Arakune and Litchi, Town Miller
In the end, you couldn't resist. She was always your voice of reason, even when she acted more unreasonable still. It was always for you.

Passive Abilities:

You're a what?
Yeah no one is going to believe that thing isn't evil anymore. For the purposes of investigations into your alignment you will always return a "Mafia" result.

Win Condition:

Mafia:
[collapse=Rachel]

Welcome Glyph to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Rachel, Mafia Flavorcop

You've seen it all before. As a designated observer of this universe (and naturally long-lived vampire of the Alucard clan), you've witnessed countless Continuum Shifts in Takamagahara's unwanted service; and for the last 100 years the AI's aims have gone off predictably in failure in thousands of unpredictable ways. That is, until now. This time, like each time before it, the world has reached a point where Takamagahara's objectives cannot possibly be fulfilled. However, unlike each time before it, the world has not been immediately reset to 100 years prior by the overbearing artificial omnipotence. Though you would welcome a chance to escape this eternal loop, it is clear that this Shift offers no hope of changing the world's situation; any more time spent here would simply be time wasted. It's regrettable, but now the only reasonable course of action is to cause events to unfold in such a way that Takamagahara deems the situation irrecoverable and allows you (and the world) another chance to right itself. And for that sacrifices must be made...

Active Abilities:

Every Rose has its Thorn
During the night phase you may target one player for the Mafia's factional nightkill. You may specify which of you will carry out this kill, but there will be only one per night.

Charmed, Really
You've seen everyone here at least a hundred times before, even if they don't remember it. During the night phase you may visit one player and learn their Character Flavor.

Win Condition:
You are Mafia aligned and win when Mafia obtains a majority or nothing can prevent this.[/collapse]

[collapse=Jin]

Welcome Rake to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Jin, Mafia Hero

Respected both in and out of the Novus Orbis Librarium as the Hero of the Ikaruga conflict, your ice-cold demeanor cuts deep both on and off the field of battle. Adopted and raised from a young age by one of the most cutthroat of the Duodecim you care little for pleasantries or what others think, living only for glory and yourself. Recently however that has been turned on it's head after coming to the realization that you hold the power of "Order", an innate trait driving you to bring balance to this universe. Unfortunately for you, this has lead to an obsession with one of the few entities powerful and chaotic enough to tip those scales: wanted outlaw, and your brother, Ragna the Bloodedge. No matter where he's going or what his goal is in assailing the NOL, it doesn't matter, he must be destroyed. And if anyone is going to destroy your brother, it's going to be you.

Active Abilities:

Ice Cold Killer
During the night phase you may target one player for the Mafia's factional nightkill. You may specify which of you will carry out this kill, but there will be only one per night.

Passive Abilities:

A Real Hero
You cannot be targeted by any night abilities not belonging to your brother dearest.

Sibling Rivalry
You are driven to find and kill your brother Ragna the Bloodedge. If any other mafia member attempts a kill on Ragna, you will step-in and perform the kill instead. If you are the killer of Ragna the Bloodedge your purpose will be complete and your true power manifested.

Restrictions:
You must use the word "brother" at least once per day. The phrase "Nii-san" will be accepted as a substitute if you so wish.

Win Condition:
You are Mafia aligned and win when Mafia obtains a majority or nothing can prevent this.[/collapse]

[collapse=Tsubaki]

Welcome Soup to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Tsubaki, Mafia Executioner

Born into one of the most prestigious families of the Duodecim, the twelve families closest to the Imperator of the NOL, you have great pride in your government. Choosing to become a member of the Zero Squadron, an elite branch of the NOL that deals directly with internal dissidents (harshly), you've earned both the ire and the grudging respect of those around you. You value your friends from the acadamy highly, but when push comes to shove you'll always do what the NOL Imperator decrees. Unfortunately in this case, that also holds true for Vampires with a lot of connections and the uncanny ability to forge NOL documents. It helps half the people on this hit-list were also wanted Criminals as well... so let "Justice" be served!

Active Abilities:

Righteous Fury

Zero Squadron
Once within the first two day phases you may PM the mod to bring down the Imperator's will upon a foe. You may immediately force through any lynch that is already has over half of the votes needed to be that day's lynch pick.

Win Condition:

[collapse=Tao]

Welcome Maven to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Tao, Mafia Janitor

Capricious and carefree, you're one of the most well-meaning people in Kagutsuchi. You'd do whatever it takes to protect and care for the Kaka Village you hail from and help those you care for. As a creation stemming from the DNA of one of the strongest creatures in the world, the beastkin Jubei of the Six Heroes, your strength and speed are well beyond that expected of someone of your build. The intelligence of said Hero however... did not quite transfer over... Unfortunately for you this means you basically take whatever people say at face value, including in this case the wishes of your "friends" to help them "Hide the bodies" and "Don't worry it's for the best". Sadly it didn't even take that much convincing for you to be all for the idea! Really, you'll do anything for a few meatbuns...

Active Abilities:

I'mma Beat the Crap Outta You!

Good Hider
You know all the best nap spots. If you were the one who performed the factional nightkill, you may choose to hide the body of your victim in a suitably out of the way place where their alignment and role will not be revealed. You may not use this ability on consecutive nights. Upon your death all kills hidden this way will be revealed.

Win Condition:

Indies:

[collapse="Nu-13"]
Welcome Nabe to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Nu-13, Independant Ragna Seeking Missile

You know the kind of person who only ever has one thing on your mind? Well you're one of them, and that one thing is RAGNA. You spend your every waking moment scheming how to get closer to him, and the rest of your time dreaming about him. You've come to Kagutsuchi for one reason and one reason only: Ragna is here. Becoming one with Ragna can change your destiny, but failing to do so could ruin you forever.

Active Abilities:

"Raaaaaagnaaaa~!"
Every night you may visit two people to find out whether or not they are Ragna. If you find Ragna: things will happen. If you don't, try again tomorrow.

Passive Abilities:

Can't Hide From Your Love
You are attracted to Ragna, and as such can innately tell whether or not he was on a lynch. At the end of every day phase you will receive a PM informing you whether Ragna was or was not on the day's lynch. In the case of a No Lynch you will not be informed.

Restrictions:

Loveable Maniac
Once per day you must drop a "<3" in one of your posts. Failure to do so will result in being unable to make use of "Can't Hide From Your Love" that night phase.

Win Condition:
Find Ragna and be happy together.[/collapse]

[collapse=Arakune]

Welcome Jexs to Blazblue Mafia.

You are Arakune, Independant Azure Seeker

Unrecognizable as the human researcher you once were, you instill raw fear into anyone unfortunate enough to encounter you, and for good reason. Extended contact with the power of the Boundary has turned you into a twisted, insect infected creature made almost entirely of liquid seithr. Memories (and sanity) forgotten, the only things that drive you are the hunger to sustain your own life, and the obsession to complete the very research that brought you to this point in the first place. The only thing you remember? You have to find the Azure Grimoire. It's the key to unlocking the answers to the mysteries that you so desperately seek. Devour anyone who stands in your way.

Active Abilities:

Relentless Search
Every night you may visit two people to find out whether or not they possess the Azure. If you find it: things will happen. If you don't, try again tomorrow.

Passive Abilities:

Exacting Calculations
You can sense and analyze the unmistakable traces of power the Grimoire leaves behind. At the end of every day phase you will receive a PM informing you whether the possessor of the Azure was or was not on the day's lynch. In the case of a No Lynch you will not be informed.

Win Condition:
You win when you are the last man standing or nothing can prevent this. Note that you will win by default in any 1v1 scenario.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Black Beast]

Your roles have been reassigned!

You are now Bardull and Nabe, The Black Beast

You've really done it this time. The Black Beast. The agent that started a cataclysm that destroyed over half of the world's population and covered a majority of the earth in poisonous seithr; and you brought it back. There's a reason Nu is always seeking Ragna out to become "whole", but spoiler alert: she's a psycho, artificial life form, overly attached girlfriend whom you can't trust as far as her swords are long. What did you think would happen when you combined Ragna's Azure Grimoire with a Murakumo unit inside a deadly cauldron of Boundary energy? Roses and cupcakes?

Active Abilities:

Reap The World
The hate of a million damned souls flows through you, demanding vengeance on a world ripe for destruction. During the night, you may visit a player of your choice and kill them.

Passive Abilities:

Unstoppable Monster
There's a reason it took the literal advent of magic and eight full years to bring you down. You are bulletproof. Always.

Unspeakable Creation
Your slots (Bardull and Nabe) are now considered one for the purposes of votes, night actions, and winning the game. For all intents and purposes, your slots are now one; you have only one vote between you. The voting majority for the game will change to reflect this. You may communicate freely with each other at any time.

Win Condition:
You win when you are the last slot standing or nothing can prevent this. You will always win in the case of a 1v1.

[/collapse]​

Takamagahara

Smash Apprentice
Here are the night actions (and if you're up for that sort of thing, the flavor given to each of the indies when they changed roles, either to the black beast or a town member respectively).

Night 1 Actions (in NAR order):

Bardull: Avoid Jexs
Gorf: 1v1 Potassium
Orboknown: No Action

Jexs: Visit Bardull, Potassium

Rake: Nightkill Chaco

Nabe: Visit Potassium, Bardull
We Thuggin: Target Gorf
Glyph: Flavorcop We Thuggin
Raziek: Track Maven
Potassium: Cop Gorf

RESULTS:

Chaco: killed
Bardull + Nabe: Become the Black Beast
Jexs: A disturbance with the azure has blocked your results tonight
Rake: Kills Chaco
We Thuggin: Steals Gorf's vote
Glyph: We Thuggin is Kagura
Raziek: Maven goes nowhere
Potassium: No result, frame traps too good
Gorf: voteless

Night 2 Actions:

Orboknown: No action

Jexs: Visit Bardull/Nabe, Soup

Potassium: Vig Maven
We Thuggin: Target Jexs
Rake: Kill Bardull/Nabe
Raziek: Track Bardull/Nabe
Bardull/Nabe: Kill Orboknown
Glyph: Flavor Cop... Soup?

Night 2 Results:

Orboknown: killed
Maven: killed
Jexs: sees no azure, becomes a town miller, voteless
Rake: kill is stopped by BP'ness
Raziek: tracks Bardull/Nabe to Orboknown
Glyph:Soup is Tsubaki
We Thuggin: Steals Jexs' vote

Night 3 Actions:

We Thuggin: Target Raz
Kantrip: Doc Raz
Raziek: Track Rake
Glyph: Flavor Cop Rake
Rake: Kill We Thuggin

Night 3 Results:

We Thuggin is Killed
Raziek receives a Double-vote
Raziek receives no track result
Glyph receives no flavor cop result

Night 4 Actions:

Raziek: Track Jexs
Glyph: Flavor Cop Jexs
Mafia Team: No Kill

Night 4 Results:

Raziek: Jexs goes nowhere
Glyph: Jexs is Litchi + Arakune
No one dies

Night 5:

Joey kills Raziek

I'm collapsing these two flavor bits for page-sanity, but I recommend trying to "reply" to it to see it at a larger size. Or just click on each image like a barbarian...

[collapse=Nu Finds Ragna]
During the night...

Good Luck.​
[/collapse]

[collapse=Arakune Becomes Town]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Mafia Faction Flavor]

Welcome Ladies and Gent... to the Mafia. You're all here for different reasons, whether you were able to sense the disturbance in the Continuum Shift through Higher Knowledge or a Sense of Order... or whether you were Coerced or Tricked into this service by those who did: your aim is the same. To end this wretched Shift gone-wrong.

Here's the short version for those of you not quite yet in the know:
Takamagahara, the rogue AI, watches over this planet with a cybernetically iron fist. And unfortunately for everyone involved, it has the power (and uses it frequently) to reset the entire world one hundred years backwards from any event it deems contrary to its goals; letting that world play back out in a new permutation. It has done so this hundred years beyond the eternals' ability to count... but even though this reality has progressed beyond a point in which it can no longer reach its goals... it has not yet reset us. Our only real recourse against wasting yet another run of our lives is to speed up the process by hand. Hence, why we are all here.

Go to it, and Amaterasu speed.

Your members are:

Rachel, Mafia Flavorcop (Glyph)
Jin, Mafia Hero (Rake)
Tao, Mafia Janitor (Maven)
and Tsubaki, Mafia Executioner (Soup)

You may speak freely here at any time.

[/collapse]

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Fair warning. My memory is hazy with regard to those players who died early, so I will likely have little to note. If I misremember something, correct me.

Commentary:

@Raziek @ #HBC | ZoZo #HBC | ZoZo (Carl) - Your opening was nasty. Clean that **** up. The way you stuck to Ruy was not good. Your time of introduction to the game was not the best, but you could still have come across a little cleaner in that initial interaction. The rest of your play was solid. You pursued what needed to be pursued and died right before the fact that you misread Joey could bite you in the ass, although your track would likely have cleared it up.

@ Orboknown Orboknown (Hazama) - Good job, I guess. Being honest, I can't remember much of what you did to be killed by the indy, so........ grats? I'm a little disappointed you didn't try harder to get Bardull's attention.

@ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu (Tager) - Bro. Your initial play was baaaaaaaaad. Your disbelief at the way people reacted was also bad. Then after that, it was like you gave up. You were barely a presence until your situation forced you to be at the end. As a Mason who's cleared by the start of Day 2, you can't wind up in LyLo. You have got to be threatening enough to draw a night kill.

@Chaco (Kokonoe) - Rofl, don't get community service next time.

@ Lore Lore (Bang) - Being the Day 1 lynch is bad news bears. You need to learn how to be more careful with how you present yourself. Yes, you need to figure out who scum is, but you also have to manage town's perception of you. Just because you share a win condition doesn't mean they will automatically figure out you're town.

@#HBC | marshy (Kagura) - On the whole, good. You did well with your role and while you weren't always right, you kept the gears in town moving and drew a night kill that kept your JoAT and Tracker alive longer. No complaints other than helping shut down the Soup lynch.

@Potassium (Platinum) - Well done, after your initial trouble. You dug yourself a hole, but you climbed out and got your **** together. Your influence in the final two days, as well as a correct shot, helped Town immensely in working toward this victory. I really did like your night action choices as well, although only the one worked out.

@ #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf (Azreal) - You know what you did. You didn't play hard and you got ****ed up. You were a corner stone for Town's power roles and ended up being a non factor. Your night action choice was unfortunate as it blocked the man who would've cleared you. You can play better. I know that. You know that. Just do it. Nothing more to say here, really.

@ JeXs JeXs (Arakune + Litchi) - You played a reasonable indy game at the start and when you flipped to town, you played well enough not to be lynched in LyLo despite a role that would put pressure on you no matter what you did. Could play better, could play worse. You did fine.

@#HBC | Joey @#HBC | Rake. @ DtJ Glyphmoney DtJ Glyphmoney @ Maven89 Maven89 (Scum team) - Come on. Those no kills needed to not be no kills. Town's protectives got eaten alive and you could've easily had this game. I mean easily. Joey likely played the best and Soup likely played the worst (that execute was baaaaaaaaad). Rake might have played the worst if he had actually played. Glyph made some key wrong decisions and Maven, having played okay, got nailed by Marshy in the worst way possible since the Vig believed him.

@#HBC | BarDeeZy @#HBC | Nabe (Ragna/Nu/Black Beast) - Poor form. You were majorly in the spotlight by the very nature of your role. That's a very hard position to win from, but you had the power to cause chaos and at least force a kingmaker scenario with your bulletproof. Claiming indy is NEVER the right idea. A little bit better view of your slot before the events happened would've helped immensely. Nabe's fakeclaim was eerily similar to the actual role.

All-in-all, it played out well, but it was a comedy of errors when you have all of the information we have.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Dietz is going to make one more post to fill in the final holes regarding mechanics and then we're going to actually play Blazblue. Add me on PSN if you want in. It's GS_Ryker, I believe.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Jexs I dunno if you've heard but its polite to claim when you are or have been indy so scum can get you lynched

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
yo straight up im sorry that i played the way i did man. i had a lot going on irl n couldnt be bothered with mafia, and id have points where i was like "ya know lemme stick it out" but ultimately i shouldve replaced out a whiiiile before i tried to. i usually hate doing that but now i understand how NOT doing so can effect the game state. so again, im sorry.

we thuggin

marshy|Sold2
#HBC | marshy (Kagura) - On the whole, good. You did well with your role and while you weren't always right, you kept the gears in town moving and drew a night kill that kept your JoAT and Tracker alive longer. No complaints other than helping shut down the Soup lynch.
nah **** outta hear. i pushed against the soup lynch against role speculation based off some1 who was privy 2 knowledge n was gross on that tunnel visioned approach. dat lynch goin thru allows g lyfe 2 endgame off his plan wen i played mostly 2 disrupt the scumteams agenda. yur endorsement of pushing against ruy at any point past his claim has me givin zero ****s about yur opinion so if yu gon tag me let it b somethin off legitimate. thatz not touchin yur "yu werent always right" comment when id assert da only reason town won this game waz a result of bodyin/clearin da ******* (werekill/gorf/potato had some of da worst early game play ive ever seen) but dont feel like fully goin in on malarkey. im 2 sauced 2 pretend 2 care bout entertainin dis ****

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
oh yeah the execution was a literal error on my part and not intended in the slightest

if you want to put my name in the dirt for a mistake by all means go ahead but dont act like it was a conscious decision

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
agreed with joey being the best out of the scumteam however, seriously give yourself more credit joey

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
yo straight up im sorry that i played the way i did man. i had a lot going on irl n couldnt be bothered with mafia, and id have points where i was like "ya know lemme stick it out" but ultimately i shouldve replaced out a whiiiile before i tried to. i usually hate doing that but now i understand how NOT doing so can effect the game state. so again, im sorry.
You're almost always good for it, so I'm not even mad. It just wasn't a good game for you. You know better, I know that, that's all there really is to say.

Takamagahara

Smash Apprentice
Role Specifics, Interactions, and Hidden Mechanics

"Whaaat this game was CRAZY! Dietz plz, help a brother out: what did all these roles even DO!?"

Don't sweat it, we put a lot of time (and a little spontaneous chicanery) into these roles, but they all had interesting aspects which I'll now lay out all nice for ya.

The theme of this game was: "Manhunt".

If you didn't notice, dang near every pivotal/interesting role had something to do with Ragna. So let's start with him:

Ragna... Ragna was a waaanted man... And things could go ANY which way depending on who found him first. He knew what slots MIGHT be after him, and the fact that many of them were only added fuel to his paranoia. His only real way to mitigate those who wanted him was to "pick a winner" on his defensive active ability. IRONICALLY, Bardull had to make the impossible choice immediately: Both Jexs AND Nabe targeted him Night 1.

Now... There's a Night Action Resolution order on Ragna for just such an occasion. Jexs has priority over Nabe as Jexs' targetting of Ragna merely stole his power rather than "killing" him. Then, Mafia kills had next priority. Then finally Nabe, as he had the most direct impact on alignments (and would've become bulletproof, which would've screwed other factions). Complicated? A bit. But the END result is: no matter what happened to Ragna, only one Indy would eventually roam these hallowed grounds of swing-town. So what happened? Those NARs were immediately circumvented in the one way that they could've been: Bardull chose to dodge Jexs over Nabe (ironically... 20 minutes after initially choosing to dodge Nabe and then changing his mind XD) he chose his fate quite literally.

The way it was set up, there would only ever be ONE Indy with a PR after a finding, which balanced the setup quite nicely... so what immediately happened? The only possibility where both targeted Ragna and didn't both activate their contingency plans. For balance reasons we already planned that in the unlikely event it happened Jexs would be informed of the change to Town one dayphase later for balance reasons as to not make the Black Beast too obvious.

So what exactly were Arakune and Nu aiming for, and what was the difference?

Nu, no matter what was after Ragna, as a person. If Ragna ever died, Nu died, but silently joined the Kokonoe/Tager masonry. HOWEVER. As long as Nu found Ragna while still alive, it didn't matter what other roles had already found him.

Arakune on the other hand, was looking for the Azure specifically. Ragna starts with the Azure, but he's not guaranteed to keep it. If the Azure ever moves (as it could if Hazama completed his extra objective), Arakune still had a stake in it.

In the end: Arakune played the role of the slightly sneaky but weaker potential indy. If successful, he became abductor, but wasn't publicly "revealed" the way the Black Beast or Hazama's acquisition of their objective would have. But, in return they're opening the door for another eventuality: The possibility of a Town Watcher coming after them. On the occasion that Arakune first found Ragna, and THEN Nu found Ragna, she would in flavor terms merge with him as well and give him the ability to be a Watcher. A potential silver bullet beyond the tracker that would haunt either of them.

On the other hand, Nu has the much more conventionally powerful "upgrade" from finding Ragna first. BUT, was obviously... well more obvious! In return for having to forcibly work around being a sore thumb on the roster they got a direct kill rather than an abduct as well as total Nightkill immunity in their bulletproof ability.

They both had the same ability to see whether the Azure holder or Ragna was on the lynch respectively, and then to check two people per night for the existence of the McGuffin they were seeking out. One had priority and left a live victim, the other had a bigger punch. In this reality it ended up the most unlikely version where both almost had him played out... but that's mafia!

"...Interdasting... Sooo what about Hazama and Mafia's stake in this all then?"

Mafia had a more indirect stake. One of their members, Jin, started as untargettable by anyone who wasn't Ragna. BUT had incentive to find Ragna on the grounds that he would inherit his true power upon doing so. This synergized directly with Rachel's ability to flavorcop people. In essence, they had two checks per night for Ragna as well, but one was delayed a night had they gotten a bingo. Had they been successful, not only would they have eliminated the future threat of Indies (generally bad news for Mafia) but as long as it was an actual nightkill by them, Jin would become Hakumen and gain the one shot ability to kill any and all people who target him that night at the cost of giving up the mafia faction's regular nightkill. Not a likely scenario to net more than usual, or even to happen, but the incentive is there even if the power is unkown at the time to squelch the Indy competition. At the same time, doing so would have self-balanced the rest of the game. Two potential indies would leave, in favor of one active town slot and one passive voice to contribute against them.

Hazama on the other hand had the huge leg up of knowing WHO Ragna was right from the get go. In order to get his boon however, he had to knowingly manipulate him into thinking he was a threat. He'd steal his safety in return for becoming a much more powerful slot for Town and defusing some of the Indy threat. His challenge was difficult, but very rewarding. Had he managed to get Ragna to use his night action to attempt to "dodge" him, he would have stolen the Azure, changing Arakune's target and reducing his ability to find people to one per night, and been given the power "Psychic Houtenjin". The ability to nullify ALL night actions that targeted him, even kills. Ragna himself gets weaker, but it also opens the door for a potential watcher and immune townie. (The flavor for this comes from a phenomenon the last boss of Continuum Shift would exhibit. Unlimited Hazama literally knew what buttons you were pressing the frame you were pressing them, and so: would use his Super to Reversal your attacks with unfailing accuracy... that is until you walked out of his range and mashed jabs to which he would also Houtenjin... lel).

Really, the game could have gone a multitude of different ways. We did our absolute best to counter balance for the other factions in each eventuality without making them identical, and I think we did a pretty reasonable job of it. The only hitch was the backup plan for a Arakune that visited the same night as Nu but Nu still became the black beast wasn't all that airtight since we thought it would be the least likely scenario of all of them. Simply letting the becoming of Town delay a day to make it less obvious (and therefore immediately unfair to the Black Beast when Arakune says "well I was Indy and found a target but then uh now there is none and I'm not an Indy and that guy is two slots sooooo) Seemed the best compromise.

Now, as for the Mafia themselves: they had an interesting set of skills to round out their own game and help combat the unique traits the other players had. Jin being untargetable by those who were not Ragna helped Mafia dodge some of the more damning flak Town had to offer, while still leaving Town able to directly protect those that needed protecting with their Jailer. In tandem, the Janitor helps combat the advantage Town had in having a true blue masonry and keeps Rachel's flavor information at a premium for claim exploitation. Finally Executioner rounded out the troupe by being a solid backup slot while still having precision use to control the flow of extra information after a day's lynch proceeded. As it turned out the Janitor was in fact directly countered as intended by the Masonry, though not as cleanly as expected. Rather than using the Masonry as extra "clear" leverage to counterbalance unknowns, the Janitor was directly stopped by having the first kill be counterproductive to Mafia to Janitor. If they had hidden the known Mason's flip they would only out themselves as janitor capable, as any flip of a claimed mason that scum deems worthy of hiding must be true.

A similar direct counter occurs in Hazama and Jin's race to find Ragna. Jin is already largely night action immune, but if Hazama can find it first not only does he become immune himself (even to nightkills!), he prevents Jin from gaining his own power. It's an odd symmetry we enjoyed making.

And the other characters?

Well hell if they weren't all fun and interesting as well. So let's go over some of their quirks and how they interacted with the main mechanics at play here:

First off is Kagura, the Womanizing Vote Manipulator. As a Town role, he plays an educated gambling game with his giving and receiving of power. If he targets a woman, he retains his vote and that slot gains a double vote (Including Carl's Nirvana! As seen the night Marshy died when he targeted Raz/Xonar). However if they're a man alone, he steals their vote for the day. By checking what gender players were (either through cunning or trial and error) he can see what results he can create on the voting landscape and try to tailor it to his benefit. Attempting to steal the votes of players he didn't like the opinions of, or double down on the voting power of someone he did agree with while still retaining his own... The only catch? Three out of the Four members of Mafia were Females! And the other was entirely untargettable. The risks could be mitigated however as long as the Kagura player was willing to cut their losses on an "acceptable" early result and stick to it. It was their choice. In the end it made for a powerful tool of control change that ended up helping Town when it counted.

On the exact other end of the helpful spectrum is Bang. The correct way to play Bang's PR is... to not use his PR! Just as Bang the character is a loud, impulsive, but genuinely well meaning person, so too is the role. Bang's greatest Special move in the games is to enter a mode called Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan, wherein Bang loses all ability to move normally and block in favor of the ability to 8-way dash incredibly fast, creating lightning fast combos at the expense of all defense. High risk for the possibility of great rewards. In this game the effect was similar. You can gamble on a "freebie" lynch on a scummy player of your choice, but is really smart to gamble such a thing when it could be hammered out by ANYONE and there will always be more Town than Scum to begin with? Well.. no, no not really. But in theory there's potential for massive gains. For anyone crazy enough to take the massive risk that is...

Carl's tracking ability helped put Town on the map power-wise. But the more interesting aspect of his role was the fact he was secretly in a mod-appointed hydra the entire time though the other player could never directly contribute. Ryker had this in the back of his mind ever since he first rolled Calvin and Hobbes back in the ol' days, and I couldn't help but agree it would be a great role and an interesting way to slightly buff town. The fact it was a double-vote that not even a cursory glance at gender could depict (Ada is still a lovely lady after all) was just icing.

Azrael as a jailer made good balance sense, but it came with some unseen catches. The fact that Azreal "fought and defeated" his targets meant that he could never stick to protecting only one strong town read every phase, he would have to play a strategic mix of guarding those he thought was town and jailing those he thought were up to no good. This means no matter how the claim situations went down (which would be arguably town sided from Mafia intentionally having no role safeclaims) any important PRs could only be reliably protected one night, and even then at the cost of their ability in exchange for a blocked kill. In a world where Town could have potentially had Tracker, Watcher, and Masons all at the same time, this seemed more than fair.

Platinum as the Jack of All Trades served as a stable foundation of one-shot abilities to support the other active roles in this game. If you notice, Platinum's abilities are in essence more powerful one-use versions of the other Town roles already at play. A true Doc with no drawbacks over a Jailer, a Vig to remove a problem slot over a weaker Voteblock to only hinder their influence, and a Cop for a true clear or guilty over the Tracker's less certain but still effective results. While the Cop and Doc did little this time to affect the game the vig shot, in addition to hitting scum, did a good deal of work to clear a slot that would may have otherwise been in jeopardy.

The Masonry, Kokonoe and Tager, provided a stable fallback to offset Town's initial lack of investigation. They had a distinct weakness with the presence of a Janitor and the possibility of an Abductor, but one true clear or two semi-clears as any claimed mason pair becomes if they are considered townie enough are designed to throw an unexpected curveball in a somewhat Mafia tilted game that stops Mafia from being able to accurately plan out their mislynches in advance. In return, Mafia got the ability to push through one of their choice early in the executioner. The possibility of a silent third member joining was less for balance sake as it was for allowing the Nu slot to continue playing rather than leave with a bad taste in their mouths in the event of an early Ragna death. That way they would still have a stake in the game and actively contribute to their new faction, but would be semi-punished for failing thier first objective.

And that's how the cookie crumbled! In this game the Masons and Jailer had less impact than expected, but in an equal amount of gaffes and misfortune neither did the Janitor or Executioner. It made for a relatively PR balanced game moving onward, even if it did seem a bit scum sided numbers wise after the way the Indy situation shook out. But the possibility of a swingy Serial Killer showing up was merely one of the potential Continuum Shifts, if they arrived and who they shot would and did help shape the game. We hope you enjoyed all the potential interactions, even some that never came true.

Last edited:

we thuggin

marshy|Sold2
also regardless of wats said

im really glad stoobie (yes s2 played dis game even if it appeared marshy posted all our posts) g lyfe n zozo r playin gamez <3

EDIT i also think vote stealers a very appropriate role 4 me regardless of alignment

Takamagahara

Smash Apprentice
Before we go though, we feel that we should make one more post.

First off we want to thank everybody once again for playing.

Secondly I would also like to thank the other mod for hosting.

I would also like to shout out @#HBC | Laundry for helping last minute with setup creation.

Another shoutout to @ #HBC | ZoZo #HBC | ZoZo for agreeing to play when he was not explicitly interested in signing up and for playing through with commitment in a silent role. We would not have been able to achieve the same experience without your help.

We wanted to accomplish a few things with this game. First we started to put it out there during the dead period when nothing was filling to show that this new system that we're both very attached to would work with some elbow grease from the hosts. Second we wanted to show what hard work from our end can do for a game's activity. This game was made 15 players not only becuase of the options it allowed with balancing, such as including a fourth scum member and Dueling Indies. But also to show that even a 15 man game can run through six full days with acceptable activity. There were one or two slots @Chaco that were inactive but that's standard fare, and he was in the process of catching up when circumstance rallied against him. But we consider that a success on this front.

We went out of our way to try and make this game engaging. We wanted players to be hooked from the moment they first clicked our signup thread, to when they saw their character theme OST in their role PM, through the story-line of the game, and even with the votecounts. We tried our best to capture the flavor well, and even in our setups mechanics we strove to bring that feeling. From specific character traits such as Kagura's womanizing or Platinum's vastly different items, to the way characters are portrayed behind the scenes, in public events, and even to the way roles operated under the hood: it was a major point to us that this game include all these possibilities, invoking the way that multiple Continuum Shifts play out in the Blazblue universe. This is the most work either of us has ever put into a mafia game, and we hope this presentation puts us as a candidate for one of the best executed mafia games in Dgames history, and while we may never go this HAM again we hope you'll join our next game as we try to set a bar for excellence and hope that others will follow-up and give us similarly excellent games to join. Anything you might want to give us, from setup or demonstration critique, to questions about setup design or presentation theory; we would love to hear and comment on. Because we really want to see Dgames push for great quality in the wake of Smash 4, because all this nonsense about Dgames dying needs to die out in its own right.

Once again, thanks for playing, and we hope to see you next time.

-Dietz & Ryker

PS: @#HBC | Laundry , this means Megaman Battle Network better blow me out of the ****ing water.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I looked at the set-up after dying and was honestly pleasantly surprised. It's well thought out and shows a lot of Ryker's character (which is always nice to see, seeing as he's the host).

A lot of this game was won by Marshy/S2, imo. They were the MVP in my opinion. Great goals and a great driving force behind them.
About the start of the game: Raziek's response to what Ruy did was not something I was around for, but when reading the thread I felt like it was natural. At the point, if anything, it was the best thing to focus on if only because other things weren't happening. A lot of the focus laid on there was heavily extended by other people's focus on Raziek's reply. This is a scenario in which we should've said "It was the most logical response back then, now it doesn't warrant interest anymore". but that's hard to do when everyone keeps pointing to it and going "wow how scummy". I've had this happen before once when playing with Laundry and it's honestly a really ****ty position to be in and you have to half-ignore it.
Besides that, Joey showed what the burden of information can do to a scummer, and that was interesting to see. JeXs had no choice but to get on Joey at that point, so he did and pieced together the pieces very well. It didn't come off as "Well he must be the last scum, so let's find reasoning", which is probably how that case actually started. Anyway, well discovered.

A big thank you to my hydra partner Raziek. FWIW, Ryker gave me the option to reroll the roles if I got a hydra partner that I didn't like, and I didn't use it after I got you first try, Raz, so yeah. Maritime Vikings bruhv. The game figured itself out for a large part and a lot of the comments I gave were surface level, so I'm sorry for not playing 100%. Between not having an actual voice in thread and a relatively easy game, I just wasn't as committed as I should be... though I think our discussions about track target did a lot.
Side note: we heard Maven actually almost walked into our night1 track. So, while it was for the wrong reasons, we were right :D

Finally, thanks to the hosts. Ryker for approaching me and offering a great set-up with accommodations for the role I played. Dietz for the insanely well done flavor, bravo dude, bravo.

Too bad I'm still stuck in Calamity Trigger.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
@#HBC | marshy (Kagura) - On the whole, good. You did well with your role and while you weren't always right, you kept the gears in town moving and drew a night kill that kept your JoAT and Tracker alive longer. No complaints other than helping shut down the Soup lynch.
Acting like I didn't do anything. :'/

Top Bottom