• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blast Processing Cinemax: Sonic Video Thread/Critique thread

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Look at my ****ty day 1 Sonic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSlnIotIogQ - vs. Loko (Ivysaur)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_y5UIWRvE - vs. Abstract Logic (Diddy Kong)

And some doubles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovaV2kkO6SQ - vs. SOS and Blondie GF1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfGW4688nuI - vs. SOS and Blondie GF2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Diodjfmi4 - vs. Smiles and Sizzle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cfKxuKzuVk - G-Rabbit and Stef

I have a singles vs. SOS in PM as well, but I don't count that one since we kinda just flailed around each other in that set. :applejack:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
It's really weird to watch a Winner's Finals match and think to myself, "That's my main and my secondary."

It's really gratifying to also think that "Hey, I'm pretty sure I could trounce either of these guys." As far as how you guys are currently. I'm sure with more dedication to PM both y'all would beat me within a month.

Anyway a small critique(I've been watching the matches on and off) is that you might want to look into more a spin game(it's not as broken as before but it's still good enough for shield pressure), and blast attack is your friend, especially when recovering. Ivy can stuff Sonic's HA recovery in the worst ways.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd trounce you in a day's worth of practice.
Also, what's Blast Attack? I don't follow the crappy P:M terminology. :applejack:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Blast Attack.

During homing attack start up, press A.

You'll do a short range non-lock on homing attack that has IASA a lot sooner than normal ie you can combo from it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That sounds exceedingly useless. I'll give it a shot whenever I go to another tournament. :applejack:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Nazo i saw your matches and i have to say you weren't using down-b as much as u should have it is more useful for nair kills as seen in darky's matches. also Darky i coulnd't help but notice that you only used blast attack for recovering and not for combos and approaching just a tip to use it more often.

Project M mains::sonic: :pikachu2: :yoshi2: :link2: :mewtwopm:

Brawl mains::sonic: :fox: :toonlink: :dedede: :luigi2:

Melee mains: :pikachu2::ness: :link: :yoshi:

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
It was wifi so I couldn't play my usual bait game and I don't plan on changing anything about my neutral game just to succeed on wifi;
I'd rather take the beating.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It being on WiFi is the very reason that you should change your neutral game.
That's like the second best opportunity to experiment with new ideas and learned tech.
I can't even imagine why anyone would want to stunt their growth so hard just because it's WiFi.
Like what?

:applejack:

Gogetaex

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3285-6584
Oh God, Darky, I want to talk to you about Sonic stuff. He's my main, and has been since Brawl came out. Got into Project M right after 2.6, and I'm not great, but the best in my area around here. I'd really, really like to get better and ask you a few questions if possible.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
By the way, anyone else been using that little tech where you can throw a hitbox out during the grab animation by cancelling the dash?

It's kinda sorta neat, but not mega super useful so far. :applejack:

Gogetaex

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3285-6584
I read about it and tried it but I can't really seem to incorporate it into my gameplay.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
OK guys, here is the Xanadu stream: http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/491653049
I appear at 00:4:18 with Sonic. Although I played more games with him, this is the only one that got on stream. It was quite a poor start, in my opinion. I learned a lot from Mapmark though.
Things that I noticed:
I need to use blast attack more (especially after side b)
I need to grab more
I can't just throw nairs out and hope it hits my opponent
I need to capitalize when other people commit to laggy and/or unsafe moves, meaning that I need to work on my neutral game.

Overall, I learned a lot, but didn't do too well. I'll keep on working.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Watched it, but my computer started to slow down towards the end of the set. You did good in catching up and getting your feet grounded after the start, so that's good.

Generally though, you're shielding way too much when you're not comfortable. It's extremely prevalent in the beginning of the game. Any movement Diddy made put you back into your shield.

Sonic's oos game is pretty weak vs. Diddy Kong, so you want to avoid putting yourself in that situation too many times. He applies too much pressure like that. :applejack:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Thank you very much. Watching it again, I see what you mean. I need to rely more on Sonic's mobility instead of shielding if I feel uncomfortable. I appreciate your help!

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
It being on WiFi is the very reason that you should change your neutral game.
That's like the second best opportunity to experiment with new ideas and learned tech.
I can't even imagine why anyone would want to stunt their growth so hard just because it's WiFi.
Like what?

You're being stubborn.
Well that's all you had to say.
Note taken: use more spindash.

I'm not hard to get along with you know.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well that's all you had to say.
Note taken: use more spindash.

I'm not hard to get along with you know.
I'm not saying to forcefully change your style you lummox. I play the same in Brawl now as I did back in 2008. The only thing that's improved since then are my fundamentals and game knowledge.

All I'm saying is to have fun with your character. With nothing on the line for a WiFi event, there's really no reason not to screw around a bit.

Just to make things clear, I'm not actively out to get you or anyone else in particular, so you can throw any semblance of that thought out of the window. I'm just trying to make sure players don't screw themselves out of something insightful for silly reasons.

I'm just aggressive about it is all.:applejack:

Gogetaex

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3285-6584
I'm not saying to forcefully change your style you lummox. I play the same in Brawl now as I did back in 2008. The only thing that's improved since then are my fundamentals and game knowledge.

All I'm saying is to have fun with your character. With nothing on the line for a WiFi event, there's really no reason not to screw around a bit.

Just to make things clear, I'm not actively out to get you or anyone else in particular, so you can throw any semblance of that thought out of the window. I'm just trying to make sure players don't screw themselves out of something insightful for silly reasons.

That's actually the best way I can think of to criticize. I've found that when someone doesn't talk like they know exactly what they're saying, as forward and direct as they can, the message sometimes doesn't actually get across.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex

Lol, I simply took a note.
Calm yourself, child.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You seem... awfully arrogant.
Then again, having been through this song and dance with Brawl Sonic development, I'm not entirely sure why I'm surprised.

You're like if KID Goggles had no subtlety.:applejack:

Mapmark659

Smash Rookie
So guys, I'm going to need your help on this. MD Sanic Represent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDZ8RlTcEVM

I feel like, honestly, I should have taken that game home, but instead I get the chokesies at the wrong times.
On top of that, I also feel as if I make the wrong decisions at weird times, so if y'all can help me, with advice\tips to pull through to avoid this from happening again I'd appreciate it :D

Some things I noticed I did wrong:
  • Coming on stage after UP-B into Down air.
  • Missing a couple ledge grabs on accident, but it attempted to happen, 12:23, and somewhere else around there.
  • Missing a side B cancel grab.
    etc etc, any other things that are found would really help me out
In Progress of learning.
  • Just learned how to spinshot 95% of the time, so in the Next Xanadu (Tomorrow) I'll heavily showcase it. Now, I can stop trying to gimp people with spring all the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom