• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blast Processing Cinemax: Sonic Video Thread/Critique thread

GeZ

Smash Lord
Alright guys, another tournament, another chance to show off the Sonic I've been ****ing around with.

Super [Sonic/Sheik] vs. root [Sheilda]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxygNZ_oZ-E
My first match of the tournament with my Sonic, but he's a pretty accurate representation of what I can do with him right now. Needs a lot more mixups, and I've already read a few things on the board in the last few days that'll probably boost my game a little.

Super[Sonic/Sheik] vs. ,...,(Punctuation Man) [Bowser/Sheik/Donkey Kong]
http://youtu.be/YRmMjMAOM8A
Sonic is in Game 1 and Game 3. This is Loser's Semi's, where the TO had us play Best of Five. I certainly wasn't complaining. Probably my best games in the tournament.

Super[Sonic/Sheik] vs. Red[Zelda, Sheik] (the stream incorrectly still has 'Benji' down)
http://youtu.be/EB8rhCPERQo

Slayertokey [Ivysaur] vs. Super [Sheik/Mario/Sonic]
http://youtu.be/HFC9eHsVjJg?t=12m22s
Slayertokey really got in my head when we played before, and he's a better player for it. Just check out that first stock. But hey, I think I've learned how to DI Dthrow now.
As a Boozer player as well as a Sonic player I gotta say that Bowser was a bit lack luster... He wasn't capitalizing on any of his hits and wasn't using throws or edge guarding well. I can't make any claims to be near your sonic, but if I could give a bit of advice, Sonic should have a pretty easy time baiting out stuff from Bowser and punishing accordingly. I wished I had seen a bit more of that during the match.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Christ that last kill against that G&W was pretty sick. Gotta love tilt combos. And the blue blur is so sick when he's overwhelming people.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Tero, I gave it a quick glance and skipped around, so I'll note what jumped out at me: I don't think I ever saw d/utilt, which are great combo starters, extenders, and whathaveyou(and also work great on Links and Wolfs.). Another thing is that your recovery was the same every day - UpB>Uair>possible Airdodge. I mean, there were spinshots, which were great, but when it came down to the wire I kept seeing that Spring. Homing Attack is your friend - especially out of spinshot. Not to mention that with Blast Attack around to mixup, you can make your opponent commit to something that'll leave you in a much better position to recover.

Also stop SDing.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff Tero, you've got great foundations in terms of solidity of play, but like Super said, you don't use enough of Sonic's moves. And while I'm on it, pretty much no Sonic I've seen yet makes good use of Sonic's moveset. Sure, there's the lovely gimmicks with his specials and certain power attacks, but every single move Sonic has is usable for combos and adding damage. I'll make a short list to help.

Sonic's nair, fair, utilt, dtilt, and especially uair should be used to combo characters in virtually any direction; up platforms included. Certain characters can be carried easily across the stage with variations of vertical and horizontal knockback. Finish with a spike, meteor, ftilt, or something less practical if you're feeling lucky.
Sonic's usmash can be used like Sheik's. Strong hitstun + vertical trajectory = pain in early percentages. Great for tech chasing.
Uair is a godly move that no one uses. I don't know what it is about it but it's invaluable in almost every matchup.
SM is a great move that, if used fast enough, can chase fast fallers around at low percentages and is used well with other specials.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Good stuff Tero, you've got great foundations in terms of solidity of play, but like Super said, you don't use enough of Sonic's moves. And while I'm on it, pretty much no Sonic I've seen yet makes good use of Sonic's moveset. Sure, there's the lovely gimmicks with his specials and certain power attacks, but every single move Sonic has is usable for combos and adding damage. I'll make a short list to help.

Sonic's nair, fair, utilt, dtilt, and especially uair should be used to combo characters in virtually any direction; up platforms included. Certain characters can be carried easily across the stage with variations of vertical and horizontal knockback. Finish with a spike, meteor, ftilt, or something less practical if you're feeling lucky.
Sonic's usmash can be used like Sheik's. Strong hitstun + vertical trajectory = pain in early percentages. Great for tech chasing.
Uair is a godly move that no one uses. I don't know what it is about it but it's invaluable in almost every matchup.
SM is a great move that, if used fast enough, can chase fast fallers around at low percentages and is used well with other specials.
I haven't found u-smash much useful, i throw it out sometimes when the opponent is above me but I don't find it a good move since it's not really a good killing move, has a decent amount of startup and endlag so it can't combo either.. I would just u-tilt and combo from there.

I mostly use uair for killing off the top cause it's kind of a weak move already even with the tip.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
I haven't found u-smash much useful, i throw it out sometimes when the opponent is above me but I don't find it a good move since it's not really a good killing move, has a decent amount of startup and endlag so it can't combo either.. I would just u-tilt and combo from there.

I mostly use uair for killing off the top cause it's kind of a weak move already even with the tip.
Different strokes I guess.

Yeah his usmash isn't too useful honestly. I like it because it generates enough hitstun to pretty much always follow through with whatever you want afterward (at low %s), and it's guaranteed if you read a tech (in place). But yeah, it's mostly a style thing.

His uair is good though. I use it a lot against floaties that you can't really combo with other moves (Luigi especially) because it puts the enemy above Sonic where many characters don't have priority. Uair almost always combos into another uair and has a great amount of stun against faster falling characters. It's really a great combo move because it has surprisingly adequate hitstun, fast startup, and not much endlag. It's hard to regulate where they'll go flying afterwards though because of Sonic's momentum.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
The only time I find Usmash to be useful is after hitting a grounded opponent with Fair or Dair. And even in such situation, I still wouldn't use Usmash unless we were on the highest platform of battlefield or something, where it only seems to kill.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
another video of me losing, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsKNKqOdczY&list=PL6xR0Fh8YH42VnmH4udZJLWG3IrtjJlbb&index=27

I felt like I was always on top, but still lost
Uthrow is your friend against Link. It pretty much always combos. If you're not powershielding, don't mess around on the same level as him because his projectiles always beat Sonic, so play on the side platforms and get him to whiff an utilt or grab. Punish the throw lag on the boomie and force missed arrows. Combo a lot more in general. Spam your utilt like he does to you lol, it has the same effect and by the time he DIs out of it you can probably react and chase him down with nairplane-utilt and push him offstage in this way. Did I mention to learn powershielding? It destroys Link.

Can someone tell me why Sonics stopped using spin bairs? They still kill a lot earlier than nair and it's just as good as it was in 2.1. Sonic's best punish kill imo.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkv0DpAGaF4Any tips or things?

I know I dropped a few punishes, and I had a few tech skill flubs, but I was so scared while playing my hands were shaking and stuff. It was hype though, I'm glad I was able to take a game of Denti. He's cool and good and stuff. I think I played pretty well.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkv0DpAGaF4Any tips or things?

I know I dropped a few punishes, and I had a few tech skill flubs, but I was so scared while playing my hands were shaking and stuff. It was hype though, I'm glad I was able to take a game of Denti. He's cool and good and stuff. I think I played pretty well.
Sometimes when your lucario opponent is offstage, you usually just wait for him to recover and then I see you usually f-tilt him for it. As a mix up you should of just jumped out there and used HA and he usually won't get out of there fast enough. Overall, you need to kill Lucario much more often for recovering.

Also, when he is attacking your shied you need to use Side b OoS as it's Sonic's best OoS option.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Sometimes when your lucario opponent is offstage, you usually just wait for him to recover and then I see you usually f-tilt him for it. As a mix up you should of just jumped out there and used HA and he usually won't get out of there fast enough. Overall, you need to kill Lucario much more often for recovering.

Also, when he is attacking your shied you need to use Side b OoS as it's Sonic's best OoS option.
Thanks! Will do.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
Hey, so this is a video of a fight a friend and I had a little while ago. Project M's Sonic versus a Shadow PSA that is a pain in the butt to fight. But the fight was so cool I felt I had to record it. I recently got a nerfed Shadow and its alot better for me. lol Eh.. anyway, I plan on doing some reviews on PSAs soon. Just for fun. Uh.. so here's the fight, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seO2827Zcis

GeZ

Smash Lord
Hey, so this is a video of a fight a friend and I had a little while ago. Project M's Sonic versus a Shadow PSA that is a pain in the butt to fight. But the fight was so cool I felt I had to record it. I recently got a nerfed Shadow and its alot better for me. lol Eh.. anyway, I plan on doing some reviews on PSAs soon. Just for fun. Uh.. so here's the fight, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seO2827Zcis
Cool looking ****. Unbalanced as hell, with a goofy run animation to boot, but pretty sick nonetheless.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I haven't been able to use v2.6 against an actual person yet, but here's a video of a few rounds I had with the CPU. Just trying to get the hang of the changes on 2.6 Sonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ5Dx2CDSAc
You end up in the air a lot from Down B. That will probably get punished pretty hard against live opponents. Sonic can't really depend on that move as much since it's been nerfed so hard.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
You end up in the air a lot from Down B. That will probably get punished pretty hard against live opponents. Sonic can't really depend on that move as much since it's been nerfed so hard.

Yea, you should definitely be using skid stop more, so that you do not get punished in the air.

If you hold up taunt it will extend the duration of his finger waving until you release the button.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
Ha ha thanks guys. Its a hard habit to break. Dat Spin Dash was so good in 2.5. And I had no idea about the taunt. I'll try it next time I play. lol

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Sonic(me) vs ZSS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqg9-vBNuKI
Not too good of quality, but who cares. I miss my L-Cancels, just so you know.
There were some solid KOs in there. I would just say move around more. You're Sonic, and his ridiculous mobility is his greatest advantage. I mean... you 4-stocked him, so it wasn't really a problem against the CPU, but I think you're going to have more trouble against a live opponent with such a stationary play style. Staying in motion makes it hard to guess what you're doing.

Sonjicboom

Smash Apprentice
Sonic(me) vs ZSS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqg9-vBNuKI
Not too good of quality, but who cares. I miss my L-Cancels, just so you know.
Dude, that last kill was awesome, and you did a swell job using Sonic's entire arsenal to your advantage. Your use of dash attack for added pressure was sick, and I loved the hyphen smash usage. One observation, though, is that you might benefit from the use of Sonic's JC grab. You tried some grabs on the run that ended up whiffing; the JC grab leaves you less open to punishment if you whiff it. Other than that, solid stuff!

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I was finally able to record some matches recently. The setup wasn't mine and I didn't really know how to use the recording equipment and I accidentally captured audio from the room mic rather than the game audio. So, you'll have to listen to our controller clicks, cursing, and chatting instead of game audio. Sorry about that. Any criticism would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5KW_bx3bU

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Top Bottom