• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bisexuality: Real or fake? Let us Debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Ok so in your honest opinion, do you believe that bisexuality is real? For the longest time I actually believed in bisexuality. But after doing some reading from various sources, now I'm not so sure. From my understanding, to be bisexual one would have to feel the exact level of attraction to both sexes. I say exact because if a guy felt more attracted to females then males, then he would obviously be heterosexual. Makes sense right? I mean, can you imagine if someone actually was attracted to both sexes evenly and they got married? How in the world would that work? Could they honestly be loyal to that one person?

According to an article written by Melissa Mucci, "some youth often "experiment" at some point in their teenage life, and well into their twenties. You cannot be attracted to both sexes equally, even if you have an interest in the same sex. If you are more attracted to the opposite sex, then you are heterosexual. If you are more attracted to the same sex, then you are homosexual."

Now some can argue and say this is a close minded statement. But if you think about it, not really. Being close minded would be simply saying bisexuality doesn't exist and not back it up with any kind of reason. Here is another interesting fact I read about. Apparently, a team of psychologists directly measured genital arousal patterns in response to images of men and women. The psychologists found that men who identified themselves as bisexual were in fact exclusively aroused by either one sex or the other, usually by other men.

But despite this information, perhaps we still can't hastily jump to conclusions. These are the knds of things that I feel we'll never fully understand.

Nonetheless, after reading through all of these articles I can't help but question how real bisexuality really is. Perhaps there really is only two roads we follow.

What do you guys feel about the issue?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm bisexual. I can confidently say that I like girls more than guys, but still like guys. If I end up with a girl, great. If I end up with a guy, great.

Saying that you can only be homosexual or heterosexual is like saying that you can't like hamburgers because you like hotdogs better, despite also liking hamburgers. It just makes no sense.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
I see, interesting. But is it that big of a deal being labeled one or the other? I'm just saying, (not talking about you directly) but I feel people are a little timid about being strictly one or the other due to the vicious stereotypes we ourselves have created.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
...Real or fake? What?

I like guys and girls. I'm bisexual. That's the definition. I understand that most lean towards one side or another, but that doesn't disprove them from being bisexual.

Edit: Oh. I forgot this was in the Proving Grounds. Sorry about this post. Just, disregard it.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I think the way the topic post was written, it's defining bisexuality incorrectly.

It's more like they are attracted to people who they really like, whether or not they are male or female. It's not really an issue of liking more gender more than the other.

So, basically, I say it's real.

What I hate is when celebrities say they're bisexual just to get attention. Now that's fake.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Interesting. Sorry if my explanation wasn't too clear/accurate. Well here is what I pulled up from Wikipedia. I know, right? Most reliable source ever. lol =P

Bisexuality refers to sexual behavior with or physical attraction to people of both genders (male and female), or a bisexual orientation. People who have a bisexual orientation "can experience sexual, emotional, and affectional attraction to both their own sex and the opposite sex"; "it also refers to an individual’s sense of personal and social identity based on those attractions, behaviors expressing them, and membership in a community of others who share them."

But your point about it not being a matter of liking one gender more then the other is something I can't seem to get, at least at this present time anyway. Its just that to me, if a person feels attracted to both sexes, its easy for them to simply "yes, I like both." But put them in a room showing sexual images of both men and women, they tend to lean far more to one sex over the other.

I'm not trying to deny that a person can't feel attracted to both sexes, I believe that is true. But I just can't help but feel its impossible to feel a even/exact amount of affection for both.

Nonetheless, I deeply respect your opinion. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. XD

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
You're going to have to elaborate on your question a little bit more for me, friend. I have a reply in mind but I want to make sure I understand your question 100%.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Maybe when you are "Bi" that tastes flow back and forth. ( I wouldn't know because i am not "Bi")

But a great example... just like Skyler's...Would be food. Like lets say at one moment you would like hamburgers... and then another time you wouldn't feel like hamburgers so as much and like hotdogs more, Despite the fact that you like both.

Understand what i mean? That mean that this could be BOTH true and false (depending on how you look at it), Because no one stays the exact same...yet neither appeal for sex stays equally balanced.

But again... I am not BI and cannot understand...

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am just wondering if someone loves the person for who they are really are regardless of gender is pansexual.

Wouldn't that be different from bisexual which is being sexually attracted to both man and woman?

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
@ twoskilld4u: That is explanation is rather interesting. It does make some sense, but at the same time thinking of sexuality as a kind of "mood swing" is kind of odd. Just slightly. Nonetheless, its a clearer understanding and it does shed some light on some of the questions I personally had. Interesting idea, indeed. Thank you for sharing.

@ Palpi: Yes, they would be different. Bisexuality and pansexuality are indeed two separate sexualities.

Pansexuality, being attracted to people of all genders. They tend to "lover the person, not the gender." So some are even attracted to trans-gendered and intersexed people. Few people are aware of the fact that pansexuality and bisexuality are two distinct and seperate orientations, and call people bisexual when they are actually pansexual.

So to sum up:

Bisexual = likes men and women

Pansexual = likes men, women, and others

I hope that helps. Let me know if I simply said what you already know kind of thing. lol

Palpi

Smash Hero
A bit. Haha. But I dunno the way I have always percieved pansexuality is stressing the love of the inner person without gender influential for sexual attraction, you pretty much summed it up for my understanding.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I'm not trying to deny that a person can't feel attracted to both sexes, I believe that is true. But I just can't help but feel its impossible to feel a even/exact amount of affection for both.
Your problem seems to be that you are fixated on defining "bisexuality" as EQUAL attraction for both genders.

Virtually every human characteristic that can vary, does so along a continuous spectrum instead of in discrete categories. There is no reason attraction towards a particular gender should be an exception.

Sukai

Smash Champion
This is what happens when people take a word and sense it to a definition more elaborate than the purpose of the word itself.

Basically, bisexual (prefix "bi" pretty much meaning "2") is exactly as it says it is.
Attraction to 2 genders. Since there are only 2 (notwithstanding hermaphrodites), the rest is history. But it seems the selfish insight of certain people makes things complex, there is no standard of bisexuality outside of the natural criteria of being attracted to both genders.
That's like saying you have to have a certain attraction to the opposite sex to be heterosexual, it just doesn't make sense.
I like girls, I'm a heterosexual, I don't have to like them to a certain extent to count as one.
All the same if you are bisexual, it means you like both, there isn't a gauge that determines it, it's really just black and white.
Opposite sex = Heterosexual
Same sex = Homosexual
Both = well, you see the point now.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Makes sense right? I mean, can you imagine if someone actually was attracted to both sexes evenly and they got married? How in the world would that work? Could they honestly be loyal to that one person?
Why would being attracted to more people make you disloyal? lol. I don't see the logic, there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom