• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Biggest nerf?

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
Biggest nerf? Having not played the game, but after many videos, i'll have to say Peach's Dsmash. I mean, come on! How else am i gonna totally **** my friends with one move? Oh well, i suppose this is karma. We all used it and it was so awesome so now it has to make up for the awesomness we've once had.

Still gonna main Peach, though. Just have to find other tricks.

And i heard somewhere that Fox was still in competition for High tier. And he looks like he's still as awesome as ever, compared to other characters (Shiek, Falco, Peach ect)

ARX-7 Arbalest

Smash Journeyman
Temple Hills, Maryland or University of MD, Baltim
peach's down smash without a doubt....that girl's dress was my holy grail, my bread n butta
i dunno how many matches i won on a lucky d-smash

its 1v1 1 stock left, ive got like 50-60% dmg, my opponent has 0%, get him with like 2 or 3 good d-smashes, or one good 60% d-smash and bingo, match won

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
I like how you guys are 'oh god my inbalanced moves were BALANCED, this is TERRIBLE!'

Sheik needed nerfing big time and it defiantly worked. Although I do agree alot of ... that persons moves have been nerfed big time.

ARX-7 Arbalest

Smash Journeyman
Temple Hills, Maryland or University of MD, Baltim
Biggest nerf? Having not played the game, but after many videos, i'll have to say Peach's Dsmash. I mean, come on! How else am i gonna totally **** my friends with one move? Oh well, i suppose this is karma. We all used it and it was so awesome so now it has to make up for the awesomness we've once had.

Still gonna main Peach, though. Just have to find other tricks.

And i heard somewhere that Fox was still in competition for High tier. And he looks like he's still as awesome as ever, compared to other characters (Shiek, Falco, Peach ect)
i dunno if im gonna keep maining peach tho
seeing how mario an link are, i think they've gotten somewhat better so i might turn to them

its funny, all the people i plan to main are all newcomers (pit, ike, PT, snake, lucario, toon link)

but u wanna kno who hasnt been nerfed...marth...in all honesty, seeing him in action, playing as him a little, and hearing impressions of him on smashboards and in real life...he seems to be just as good and will most likely be top tier...again...frack

listentomook

Smash Apprentice
sheik being nerfed is a good thing though if you really think about her as a character. Usually you know the case
<nub picks up controller> nub picks zelda> nub immediately downBs>nub wins>nub continues to play sheik and never zelda>
the fact that sheik is weak but has high speed and agility makes her the racking up damage character and thusly turns zelda into the finisher. Nintendos just making it so you have to use characters to their full potential thats all.

SirAileron

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirAileron
3DS FC
4339-2495-8012
God****, I haven't posted here in a while.

Biggest nerf, without a doubt, is the behavior of tether moves. It'd be nice if they could still grab the walls of the stages if they couldn't sweetspot. :|

Percon

Smash Lord
I think Falco's still pretty good, he was just changed a lot. If you play him like a new character, he's okay. Nothing like Melee Falco, though. I personally like his de-cloning, though his playstyle means I won't be maining him this time.

And like everyone said, Sheik and Falon. Though I could never play falcon in Melee so I wouln't know

Samus-T

Smash Lord
jiggly's rest has been so terribly nerfed its ridiculous. rest + 40 damage = no kill V__V

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like how you guys are 'oh god my inbalanced moves were BALANCED, this is TERRIBLE!'

Sheik needed nerfing big time and it defiantly worked. Although I do agree alot of ... that persons moves have been nerfed big time.
Balancing something =/= making it useless.

Peach's Dsmash wasn't balanced. It's been nerfed so much it's a pretty bad move now. Even on hit, it's not ver ygood.

Sheik's just been nerfed waaaay too much. Meanwhile, Marth and Fox, not so much. Especially not Marth!

sheik being nerfed is a good thing though if you really think about her as a character. Usually you know the case
<nub picks up controller> nub picks zelda> nub immediately downBs>nub wins>nub continues to play sheik and never zelda>
the fact that sheik is weak but has high speed and agility makes her the racking up damage character and thusly turns zelda into the finisher. Nintendos just making it so you have to use characters to their full potential thats all.
Zelda's better than Sheik now. No one's gonna play Sheik anymore. It's the same thing only in reverse. Zelda's also quite a bit faster now.

Rest
Link's Spin Attack (No one said this. No more semi-spike!)
It couldn't semi-spike in PAL in Melee either. It's not a new removal.

SirAileron

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirAileron
3DS FC
4339-2495-8012
It couldn't semi-spike in PAL in Melee either. It's not a new removal.
I remember this very clearly from when I went to Germany and destroyed my cousins in Melee. '-'

I'm kinda glad Link's spin-attack doesn't low-angle. Now I can use the **** move more often without fear of drastically shortening a fight.

worm

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen Peach's new d-smash yet, but I hope it did get nerfed, cause it was stupid. I mean, who deserves to take 60% damage just because the peach player tapped the c-stick down once.

I agree, Sheik's fair, her best kill move in Melee, was nerfed bigtime.

RidleyDSMS

Smash Rookie
This ^ I agree with everything in this post. Rack up the damage with Sheik and then switch to Zelda for kills. This game is what melee was supposed to be. Balanced. Now people can actually pick their favorite character and win a match, instead of being forced to use Fox Falco Sheik or Marth.

Ive been playing smash bros melee since the first day of release, and i considder myself to have gotten pretty good at it (ive played in a few tourneys), I main Samus. However, my friend just started playing maybe a year and a half ago, and he tried all sorts of characters. Whenever he would play against me, I would destroy him, until one day I told him to try Sheik. Since he now plays a lot more than me, he can actually beat me once in a while, granted I still own him about 7 of every 10 matches. However, he went from not being able to beat anyone, to becoming very skilled in smash bros, just because of picking a character like Sheik. I see a problem with this.

*Picks up flame shield*

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
However, he went from not being able to beat anyone, to becoming very skilled in smash bros, just because of picking a character like Sheik. I see a problem with this.

*Picks up flame shield*
ths is the truth. A lot of people deny this saying that she has hard match ups... but still is no coincidence that everyone and their mother use sheik.. Its because of something.

The fact that some charcters can **** her doesnt mean she is not easier to use and tolearn than a bunch of characters.

THANK GOD.

Let's be honest here: Sheik needed nerfege big time. She's both fast and powerful. Seriously, what were they thinking when they designed her?
let me rephrase that XD. She is fast, powerful and easy to use.... fox for example is fast, powerful but to use him requires a lot of practise and precisition(even when he still was overpowered too).

IMO the biggest nerfs:
sheik´s fair
rest
marth range
cpt falcon overall mechanics
and the tethers of course.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Peachs down smash and Sheiks Fair.
And what the ****?Marth is still awsome!
Why?He was asking for a big nerf......

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I disagree with some of the previous posts about Sheik being totally worthless now. I mained Sheik in Melee, so of course I'm disappointed with her nerfs. However, I picked her out of curiosity last during a match and was surprised to find that she was still a completely viable character. Her dash attack doesn't send you skidding across the level like it used to, but it's still decent. Her combo potential is still there, and her b-air is still a good KO.

I would rather spend my time trying to KO with Sheik than spending 6-8 seconds switching from Sheik->Zelda->Sheik. Also, most noobs that have to vB at the beginning of a game to turn into Sheik have no chance in hell of winning against a semi-competent player.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Zelda's Down B was actually nerfed. It takes longer now. It also takes longer to transform from Sheik into Zelda. But for some weird reason, it takes noticably longer to transform from Zelda to Sheik than vice versa!
Really?

I don't see the point for making the transformation longer, unless the developers saw a problem with edge-guarding. For example, use Sheik's quickness to rack up damage, smash attack to get them off the ledge, switch to Zelda, then have a huge arsenal of kill attacks, both on the ground and in the air, plus great recovery. With the transformation time being much longer, it'd be impossible to switch in time for this to happen.

BUT if it's true that it takes longer for Zelda to turn into Sheik than the other way around... that throws my speculation out the window. Any other possible reasons?

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i heard link overall was nerfed...hes slower, he is floaty in the air, his moves aren't as effective, and he can't do combos as well...i don't know, its just what i heard

RidleyDSMS

Smash Rookie
i heard link overall was nerfed...hes slower, he is floaty in the air, his moves aren't as effective, and he can't do combos as well...i don't know, its just what i heard
In my opinion, then there was a reason to nerf link. He was actually a very good character for the few players who were extremely tactical. Maybe Melee link was proven to be way too strong compared to all the other nerfs, so he was nerfed as well.

I dunno about Marth, without wavedashing, etc, is he still an amazing character. After all, his sword is kind of weak, and with the way the game works now, Marth will have to inflict major damage on an opponent to ko them, since more characters are floaty now, and can recover easier.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In my opinion, then there was a reason to nerf link. He was actually a very good character for the few players who were extremely tactical. Maybe Melee link was proven to be way too strong compared to all the other nerfs, so he was nerfed as well.

I dunno about Marth, without wavedashing, etc, is he still an amazing character. After all, his sword is kind of weak, and with the way the game works now, Marth will have to inflict major damage on an opponent to ko them, since more characters are floaty now, and can recover easier.
Yeah, I agree completely. Everyone complains that Marth got better, not worse, yet I have yet to find any videos of Marth even coming close to owning his opponent. In fact, the character I've noticed to have a consistent record is... Olimar?

Then Link still looks like Link, just not *as* strong. Although I will miss the spike at the end of his ^B... R.I.P.

It's still early, no one has "mastered" the game, but as of right now, the roster, for the most part, looks very equaled out. And I just watched a few new videos of Zelda/Sheik and Sheik doesn't look unusable by any means. She still combos wonderfully. The major change I see is that all of her kills go upward. There's not longer the b!tchslap of doom, but her up-air is still deadly when you're juggling your opponent. But I killed more often that way anyway, personally, so I don't see too much of a change. Plus, the long transformation time doesn't look unbearable, since you're invincible for that amount of time, unlike before. You just have to choose your switching times wisely.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I've been seeing a gradual trend of Melee Link players heading towards Toon Link, he seems to be their new savior.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is not weak, especially not compared to other characters. He's got amazing priority, range and approach, still, while the rest of the cast lost a lot of that. He can still combo well, despite the new physics and he can kill at ridiculously low %s using the Tipper.

The facct that not enough skilled Marths have recorded vids of themselves doing this yet does not change the facts. I've played the game. Mew2King's played the game. I'm pretty sure MookieRah's played the game. RyokoYaksha's played the game. Guess what we all can agree on?

Marth is Top Tier material.

He was slightly nerfed from Melee but much less than the rest of the cast. He also even got buffs in certain departments for reasons unknown.

xxhyosukexx

Smash Apprentice
Entire characters? Sheik, hands down.

Specific move nerf? Peach's D-smash, hands down. They just didn't tone it down, they made it useless. Zero priority, much smaller hitbox, very little damage (even if all hits hit, which would require zero DI and a lucky hit since there's no Crouch Canceling, it only does, like, 21%. Most of the time, you'll only get 3-5%-10% out of a Dsmash) and zero knockback. It doesn't kill at 300%!

Yeah, the move is useless now. At least Sheik can still use all of her moves to rack up damage. Peach's Dsmash is now more useless than her Toad used to be since you can now shieldgrab it as well because of the lack of shieldknockback!
pikas got the nuts down smash now.:)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It is not weak, especially not compared to other characters. He's got amazing priority, range and approach, still, while the rest of the cast lost a lot of that. He can still combo well, despite the new physics and he can kill at ridiculously low %s using the Tipper.

The facct that not enough skilled Marths have recorded vids of themselves doing this yet does not change the facts. I've played the game. Mew2King's played the game. I'm pretty sure MookieRah's played the game. RyokoYaksha's played the game. Guess what we all can agree on?

Marth is Top Tier material.

He was slightly nerfed from Melee but much less than the rest of the cast. He also even got buffs in certain departments for reasons unknown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4FvsMzmNpA&feature=related

I know it's one video, but Sheik looked just as good as before, minus the b!tchslap of doom. Marth looks the same too.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4FvsMzmNpA&feature=related

I know it's one video, but Sheik looked just as good as before, minus the b!tchslap of doom. Marth looks the same too.
* Nerfed Down B (you're invincibile during it, but there's still a period afterwards that you aren't)
* Nerfed Nair
* Nerfed Fair
* Nerfed Bair
* Nerfed Uair (though it's now a combo move, but it's quite weak damage-wise anyway)
* Nerfed Dair (more unsafe, forces you downwards, less comboability at medium percentages now)
* Nerfed jabs because of less stun
* Nerfed tilts, specifically F-tilt which is easier to DI out of and airdodge out of combos now
* Nerfed throws (all of them)
* Nerfed Dsmash, though nut by much
* Nerfed Fsmash
* Buffed Usmash
* Better Chain, which was expected
* Nerfed Neddle Storm
* Her Up B didn't really get that much of a boost compared to everyone else's Up B which reach much further now
* Nerfed Dash Attack in terms of speed (she even stops a little bit before dashattack now!) and knockback
* Nerfed aerial approach

When I say "nerf", I mean "severe nerf" (unless otherwise specified). Less damage and much less knockback.

I'm unsure about grabrange and I probably forgot a thing or two. In response to this, Marth only got nomimally nerfed when it comes to general range and tipper-knockback. His grab-range has also been nerfed and he has no guaranteed combos off of throws anymore. However, his nerfs are nowhere near Sheik's nerfs since his Tipper is still godly, especially in a game where people have a hard time KO:ing 'til the 130%'s.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I know what you're saying, though I have yet to play the game. But my point is, by the videos I've found of Sheik users, Sheik isn't terrible, or even bad. Maybe not 'godly', but I've had a hard time finding videos of her being unusable. I'll know for myself how bad the nerfing is when I get my hands on the game.

On the other hand, I also have yet to find an unstoppable Marth, though as you said, I haven't seen any noteworthy names playing as Marth yet. Again, I'll know for myself when I finally get the game.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
I've got mixed feelings on what i'm hearing about peach,

on one hand, i agree her d-smash was broke in melee, but to me the biggest thing wrong with it was the accumulation of damage when someone got multiple hits, I'd almost feel bad when i was was fighting a noob and they'd cc the d-smash and get 60 damage.( i will miss it for the non-noobs tho :p)

On the other hand its knockback hardly seemed an issue, nerf it a bit would be ok, but for it to be flaccid to the point of never being able to KO , sad.

Top Bottom