• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Biggest mistake of my life.

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=4946]Biggest mistake of my life.[/drupal]

Well about a month or so ago, I went over to YoshQ's place and we played Melee. But before we put in my memory card (which had everything on it), we loaded the game and the game asked for a memory card with data on it. I put mine in, and without reading any prompts, kept hitting "A". I suddenly saw "Overwriting data" show up on screen...the stupid Wii deleted all of my Melee data and we had very little characters and stages to choose from...YoshQ then called me a "stupid *****" and we proceeded to try to unlock what we could within a few hours.

Recently I've been trying to finish the job, I'm letting my game run in a vs match with two (human) Falcon players sitting on Corneria. I love the music so at least there's something going on. (This is to unlock Mewtwo, if you've forgotten.) Hopefully then, Mewtwo will show his ugly face and I will knee him to death, unlock him, and then run through classic mode with him, and then unlock G&W.

Well, this week ends on a good note with yet another tourney in Minneapolis, MN for my second tourney. Been challenged to a 5$ MM. Looking forward to it. :D

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh god, I did this once too. Fortunately it was maybe a couple weeks after I'd gotten my GameCube and Melee so I think the last character I'd unlocked was Ganondorf (i.e., I didn't have much to re-unlock), though I have re-unlocked everything in Melee like, five+ other times just for fun.

Sometimes I think game companies don't think through these kind of data deletion prompts very well. The message asking about overwriting looks too similar to the normal "You don't have a memory card / would you like to use this data" message, and there really should be multiple prompts confirming it. Then where do they put multiple warnings and prompts? In the screen where you can SELECT to delete your data and might be expecting it.

Anyway, as was said, if this is actually the worst mistake you've ever made you've got a pretty good life, but I do sympathize.

Life

Smash Hero
I've had cousins pull this on me on three separate occasions. ("Oh, it wants me to overwrite the data, stop touching the control stick." And they don't. -_-) Luckily, Smash is awesome, so I didn't totally mind re-unlocking everything... though it took a while.

lol
How long does it even take to get a tourney ready memory card? I thought there was a thread that detailed the shortest way to do it.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
lol, I've gotten everything in a day. STEP YOUR GAME UP!

Also don't do time matches for Mewtwo, that's silly. The fastest way is to use Fox in Stamina mode and do 700 matches of auto-killing with Shine (via Handicap). It takes only 2 hours if you're fast.

TL?

Smash Ace
It takes 20 seconds to get everything back if you just copy the data from another card or from a homebrew app.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I remember spending half a summer unlocking everything again when I was like 13.

Still though, it sucked that you deleted your data like that though.

Top Bottom