• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best / Worst Matchups for Captain Falcon?

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering, are there any matches in Project M where if the opponent pulls out a certain character, then I should just avoid Falcon entirely and pull out another main? On the opposite side of that, what characters is Falcon strongest against?

The Melee tier and matchup list seems fairly accurate for the then-top tiers (for example, I despise fighting Shiek as C. Falcon) but there does not seem to be one for Project M anywhere, which is of course understandable.

Matches that I feel Falcon is disadvantaged in:
Squirtle, Diddy Kong, Falco

Am I wrong on these three? What am I missing?

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Link seems like a tough MU for Falcon. Much like the Shiek MU, Link gets combo'd hard, but you need to seriously outplay the Link to get to that position, what with how many tools Link has to zone out Falcon.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Diddy is a complete troll vs Falcon, I would avoid it at all costs. Squirtle is pretty bad as well. Falco is just as bad as Melee.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I feel like Lucas is a very difficult MU(I guess that would include Ness), and Luigi, is also difficult for me. These might just be bad MUs for me lol.

The_Enlightenment_

Banned via Warnings
Anything he can't grab or combo is tough for falcon but his worst matchup sheik has received nerfs and falcon has been somewhat buffed. Falcon has always had a tough time landing hits on the smaller characters for example

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falcon's worst MU's (in no order):

Falco
Charizard
Sheik
MK
Diddy

Those are the only characters that will probably make you feel like switching. He may have more losing MU's now, buffed Samus and Roy are much harder to deal with, but these 5 are basically the ones to watch out for.

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
Puff/Kirby are also bad. Its so frustrating not being able to grab them, and I honestly don't know why they still haven't changed that

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That is something I would advocate changing yes. Crawling + short characters are too hard for Falcon to hit or grab from the ground. The act of Snake or Shiek holding down makes the MU get harder without interesting counter play.

Dash grab can sometimes scoop people up, but the spacing is very hard and that means using your laggiest grab choice.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falcon offstage vs D3 is ded. Onstage though you get to have some fun, sometimes

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
These are the worst characters to fight for Falcon:

Diddy Kong:
This guy was designed to be a combo, movement and utility oriented monster. He has a ton of the same combo potential Captain Falcon has except he hits faster, he combos harder and he has bananas which will land on the ground if it hits your shield forcing a trip(which can be teched). His recovery has way more mix up options than falcon does which means he will gimp you easier than you can gimp him. Diddy has a sweet spotted forward air that is on par with falcon's knee killing potential and he can land this off of almost anything. He's a Captain Falcon with bananas.

Mewtwo:
This new installment of a character is here because of his juggling potential on Falcon with one simple move, up-tilt. This one move mitigates your options along with most of mewtwo's other tilts. I would have put Charizard in Mewtwo's place if Charizard's nerf hadn't hit him as hard as it did. Metwo has charizard's juggling prowess from 2.1 all in his up-tilt and there isn't much you can do about that other than DI out, which coincidentally, is playing into Mewtwo's edgeguarding game. And then if you deal with that, you still have all of his other moves to counter somehow.

Fox:
You all knew this one was coming. There has never been a character that has truly seemed superior than this abomination that can survive nerfs and tweaks and still be Fox at the end of the day. The only nerf he could really get is if they removed him from the game entirely, but I digress. Fox is a broken mess that can't be fixed, and this is why; he has greater pressure and combo game than Falcon does not to mention the aerial frame options, his recovery while linear can still reach distances that Falcon sometimes can't reach and punish effectively, and his gun makes Falcon wish he remembered to load his. And his shine, Good Luck.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
These aren't exactly for the people I'm quoting directly, but I'll quote this all for context.
tl;dr Dash and Grab

jkz, I don't think there's a Falcon who doesn't know that much. lol
Diddy Kong:
This guy was designed to be a combo, movement and utility oriented monster. He has a ton of the same combo potential Captain Falcon has except he hits faster, he combos harder and he has bananas which will land on the ground if it hits your shield forcing a trip(which can be teched). His recovery has way more mix up options than falcon does which means he will gimp you easier than you can gimp him. Diddy has a sweet spotted forward air that is on par with falcon's knee killing potential and he can land this off of almost anything. He's a Captain Falcon with bananas.

Mewtwo:
This new installment of a character is here because of his juggling potential on Falcon with one simple move, up-tilt. This one move mitigates your options along with most of mewtwo's other tilts. I would have put Charizard in Mewtwo's place if Charizard's nerf hadn't hit him as hard as it did. Metwo has charizard's juggling prowess from 2.1 all in his up-tilt and there isn't much you can do about that other than DI out, which coincidentally, is playing into Mewtwo's edgeguarding game. And then if you deal with that, you still have all of his other moves to counter somehow.

Fox:
You all knew this one was coming. There has never been a character that has truly seemed superior than this abomination that can survive nerfs and tweaks and still be Fox at the end of the day. The only nerf he could really get is if they removed him from the game entirely, but I digress. Fox is a broken mess that can't be fixed, and this is why; he has greater pressure and combo game than Falcon does not to mention the aerial frame options, his recovery while linear can still reach distances that Falcon sometimes can't reach and punish effectively, and his gun makes Falcon wish he remembered to load his. And his shine, Good Luck.
Bananas can be really difficult for him to pull out safely. If he uses Down-B, you can jump and kick him/the banana from the other side of the Subspace Emissary, for example.
You shouldn't really have much difficulty edge-guarding him. Falcon is fast enough to cover the linearity of it, if you're talking about 'can't reach and punish' about Falcon, who's better suited? He has speed to match the best, ground and air, and a Knee.

Though still 'tough' for Falcon, Diddy is susceptible to a lot of cheese. Playing it similarly to a Mario vs Falcon would probably be beneficial if you're having trouble with it. What I mean is, Mario needs to lock things down, to keep you out of places that he doesn't want you to be. What does this mean? Go to where he's uncomfortable with you. Don't do anything you don't have to do once you get there, but look for a hot-spot and go there, and see what Mario does, then act accordingly. Then do it again, and again. The lock-down isn't permanent, and it's for a purpose beyond "take away options", they try to take away CERTAIN options, CERTAIN positional alterations. Like a Falco, attempting to choke you out with hit-boxes until you do something somewhat risky just to get to him, but that risky thing is forced to be done on HIS terms.
Just go to where he doesn't want you, and Diddy won't be comfortable pulling Bananas or attacking you head on. Your DD is slightly bigger, and you have a sexy set of Aerials to make him at risk to commit to anything. Just camp around him in zones he doesn't like, and punish accordingly.

Mewtwo is a jerk. Just finish your combos and focus 100% on not getting hit (this should be the case in all match-ups he 'struggles' with)
For the most part, U-Air, D-Tilt, and several other beastly moves will combine to lock a lot of things down, and U-Tilt is more the filler to insure the other stuff works effectively. If you're comfortable with it, approaching with Shield should be a fairly safe option. N-Airs/U-Airs OOS can deal with a lot of these options in the form of a bait, and again, the simple out-camping is completely do-able, just tricky with lock-down characters. Just go to where they don't want you to go, to bait something out (with Mewtwo and Diddy with different players it's all very different), and punish it. Simple game, just have a wall rather than a hurricane.

Glad you mentioned Fox, a hurricane for Falcon, he's tricky, given neither of you can be comfortable with the other around at DD range, but it's a lot easier for Fox to be safe in both pursuit and chasing games, which is all that's left if neither person is comfortable in Neutral enough to hold the game there.
Run, or go deep with a hard hit-box trade, and act accordingly after any change in maneuver. Those will be the only ways to either nullify his pressure, or catch him out of it, and there will be pressure regardless of where you are.

Puff/Kirby are also bad. Its so frustrating not being able to grab them, and I honestly don't know why they still haven't changed that
They'll have trouble grabbing you too...
So it's fair, right?
RIGHT?!?! o.O
AH!

Falcon's worst MU's (in no order):

Falco
Charizard
Sheik
MK
Diddy

Those are the only characters that will probably make you feel like switching. He may have more losing MU's now, buffed Samus and Roy are much harder to deal with, but these 5 are basically the ones to watch out for.
Lock-down characters, and characters that neither player is comfortable with in neutral.
Seems about right as far as what Falcon players will be annoyed by. haha
I wouldn't say they're his 'worst' in difficulty/etc, but worst in feelz for someone who likes Falcon's standard methods for sure.

Watch out for Dedede. Falcon offstage is a free KO for D3.
NOT ACCEPTABLE CHARACTER IN TOURNAMENT PLAY

Diddy is a complete troll vs Falcon, I would avoid it at all costs. Squirtle is pretty bad as well. Falco is just as bad as Melee.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I feel like Lucas is a very difficult MU(I guess that would include Ness), and Luigi, is also difficult for me. These might just be bad MUs for me lol.
Big stages help a lot against Falco. Lucas has the same Fox-flare, but (as far as I think anyway) it's more manageable given the lack of hard-hit-box cheese on the aerials, which is where Falcon will likely be doing any trades that might be actually favorable instead of favoring the opponent (Fox).

Link seems like a tough MU for Falcon. Much like the Shiek MU, Link gets combo'd hard, but you need to seriously outplay the Link to get to that position, what with how many tools Link has to zone out Falcon.
Link is probably the most difficult character for Falcon to get into those 'discomfort zones' with any kind of advantage, since unlike anyone with good GTFO options, Falcon can't punish baits properly when the best baits to punish against Link are the up-close-and-personal kind. Falcon doesn't like those himself either.
Still, there are zones Link is trying to keep you out of, just go there, somehow, and see if you can catch him for something when you're 'exactly' where he doesn't want you to be. It's the same concept as Marth vs Link, if you're familiar with that from Melee/etc too, speed at getting where he doesn't want you to be, without getting yourself hit along the way, works wonders, but has a lot of dynamics.

This same thing can be applied to Sheik.
Again, with Marth as the example (another one that has 'trouble' with Sheik), what is SOMETHING that Marth can do, that Sheik 'can' have trouble with?
DD camp, in a space that she's uncomfortable in. What is she gonna do? Needle once? Attempt a Dash Attack?
Don't DO anything that will commit or excessively evade, just BE THERE, and you're already a presence. It's your best bet against lock-down characters, and speed is your best bet for it, and Sheik is no exception even when she (and others/Diddy/etc) are pretty freaking fast too.

Edit: To add the OPPOSITE to this, is the application of chase and pursuit in 'hurricane' match-ups.
They will be trying to get to zones (on your face or throwing things at you) YOU don't want THEM in, so you do the opposite. Keep moving, never let these 'zones' stay the same, and your committal to staying mobile regardless of where they are will allow for openings in their attempts to make you commit to particular actions they're looking for through the chase/pursuit game.
Hope that makes sense. :p

I was wondering, are there any matches in Project M where if the opponent pulls out a certain character, then I should just avoid Falcon entirely and pull out another main? On the opposite side of that, what characters is Falcon strongest against?

The Melee tier and matchup list seems fairly accurate for the then-top tiers (for example, I despise fighting Shiek as C. Falcon) but there does not seem to be one for Project M anywhere, which is of course understandable.

Matches that I feel Falcon is disadvantaged in:
Squirtle, Diddy Kong, Falco

Am I wrong on these three? What am I missing?
For Falco, he has a soft-spot on his fast.
Just fly through his face when he's SHing or DDing and U-Air/B-Air/N-Air him in the face.
Trust me, it's a soft-spot that's really fun (and beneficial for you, who knew kicking birds would be good for your health?) to kick in the face.

Last edited:

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
You can't "just fly in" against good Falcos. Good players know that this exists, and will shoot a mix of high and low lasers that will shut down all of your approach options. Even if you get a hit with the Nair which doesnt happen as often as you would think, what do you get? A techchase maybe, but not if you just fly in, you'll go through them, and they can just tech away from you and get away every time. Even if you get the read, you probably wont get the kill unless you're either in their head, a better player than them, or are a high level player, because Falco hits the ground at least twice during Falcon's combos, which is two chances to break out and ruin your day. Falco's combos are free on Falcon, and he can completely shut down Falcon's neutral game. Your best chance in this matchup is to stay close enough to Falco to make him afraid to shoot lasers, but far enough away to be safe. Your nairs should be hitting with your twinkle toes, and your punish game better be god tier. You have to stop him from playing his game more than he stops you from playing yours, and believe me, thats really really hard to do.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I agree with the monkey, the MU for Falcon is awful against Falco, my only advice is to keep him in the air via nairs and uairs and finish him with the knee. Don't let him establish himself with lasers or else you're going to take a lot of percent.

GeZ

Smash Lord
You can't "just fly in" against good Falcos. Good players know that this exists, and will shoot a mix of high and low lasers that will shut down all of your approach options. Even if you get a hit with the Nair which doesnt happen as often as you would think, what do you get? A techchase maybe, but not if you just fly in, you'll go through them, and they can just tech away from you and get away every time. Even if you get the read, you probably wont get the kill unless you're either in their head, a better player than them, or are a high level player, because Falco hits the ground at least twice during Falcon's combos, which is two chances to break out and ruin your day. Falco's combos are free on Falcon, and he can completely shut down Falcon's neutral game. Your best chance in this matchup is to stay close enough to Falco to make him afraid to shoot lasers, but far enough away to be safe. Your nairs should be hitting with your twinkle toes, and your punish game better be god tier. You have to stop him from playing his game more than he stops you from playing yours, and believe me, thats really really hard to do.
While I agree with almost every part of this post, your statement on you having to be in their head to tech chase/ combo is a bit silly. That's what fighting games are made for. I realize that this aspect has less representation in Smash but playing the player is intrinsic to being solid. Good analysis of the matchup otherwise though. It's pretty uphill in most instances.

Badwolf

Smash Rookie
So these are all the bad MU for Falcon. How about the good ones. Like if you want to counter with him, who'd you counter?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
So these are all the bad MU for Falcon. How about the good ones. Like if you want to counter with him, who'd you counter?
Ganondorf, DK, Wolf (maybe), Marth (not sure). And the rest... (Guys pitch in and help so I don't sound stupid)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Captain Falcon is not a CP against DK or Wolf at all really. DK feels pretty evenish to slight disadvantage, and Wolf is a losing MU as well.

I think some of his better MU's (in no order) are vs these characters:

IC's
Peach
TL
ROB
Olimar
ZSS
Ness
Luigi
Ganon

Not all of these are clear advantages mind you, just MU's he doesn't hate and can try to find good stages to work with.

The larger stage list works both ways against Falcon. Vs some of these characters, he can get very comfortable stages, and then the next game will feel awful. The fact that stages tend to be larger than Melee is helpful, but weird terrain/slopes/jank is not very good for him. Perfect example would be Metal Cavern or certain MU's on Skyloft

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Captain Falcon is not a CP against DK or Wolf at all really. DK feels pretty evenish to slight disadvantage, and Wolf is a losing MU as well.

I think some of his better MU's (in no order) are vs these characters:

IC's
Peach
TL
ROB
Olimar
ZSS
Ness
Luigi
Ganon

Not all of these are clear advantages mind you, just MU's he doesn't hate and can try to find good stages to work with.

The larger stage list works both ways against Falcon. Vs some of these characters, he can get very comfortable stages, and then the next game will feel awful. The fact that stages tend to be larger than Melee is helpful, but weird terrain/slopes/jank is not very good for him. Perfect example would be Metal Cavern or certain MU's on Skyloft
Thanks for saving me lol. What about Mewtwo?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
My gut says either even or losing MU.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
So would you guys say an even MU for Falcon Bowser? I'm making a chart. I will use you guys' help for the ones I can't get by myself.

Steel Banana

Smash Cadet
I have a lot of trouble with the Charizard matchup, personally. His defensive capabilities and his range are just too spooky, plus he's way too hard to combo. Is there anything Falcon can do against a good Charizard?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I have a lot of trouble with the Charizard matchup, personally. His defensive capabilities and his range are just too spooky, plus he's way too hard to combo. Is there anything Falcon can do against a good Charizard?
Use Falcon's movement so they overextend and get the grab or any other combo starters. In layman's terms, Wavedash and dash dance throwing out SHFFLed nairs until they approach then combo.

Kati

Smash Lord
I would think that Charizard is one of the easier characters to combo. He's huge and doesn't fall very fast nor float too much.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Charizard is one of his worse MU's. At low %, you cannot do anything reliable but grab, which is a problem due to how big Charizard's own grab/attacks are. It also means we don't have much in true followups: heavy characters thrown at very low %'s take the longest to throw, and avoid setups much better than lighter characters until they receive more damage. Once Charizard does get a grab, he gets brutal tech chases (also gets them with Dsmash). You can't really camp or run away in circles from Charizard, since huge moves like Nair cover a ton of space and he has good enough dash speed to approach on his own. You're basically at a loss whenever you approach Charizard. The only thing you can do is hope they are trying to attack you a lot, instead of react to approaches while holding down half the game.

Basically, reactive Charizard that slowly encroaches on your space wins all day. We get edgeguarded hard, tech chased hard, huge range disadvantage, and he doesn't have a crippling flaw for us to exploit. There is no "Just get him offstage at 50 and Knee, he won't make it back".

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
In Melee, Falcon has no advantageous match-ups.
In Project: M, he also doesn't have an advantageous match-up against himself.
Edit: Useful info, I know.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Charizard is one of his worse MU's. At low %, you cannot do anything reliable but grab, which is a problem due to how big Charizard's own grab/attacks are. It also means we don't have much in true followups: heavy characters thrown at very low %'s take the longest to throw, and avoid setups much better than lighter characters until they receive more damage. Once Charizard does get a grab, he gets brutal tech chases (also gets them with Dsmash). You can't really camp or run away in circles from Charizard, since huge moves like Nair cover a ton of space and he has good enough dash speed to approach on his own. You're basically at a loss whenever you approach Charizard. The only thing you can do is hope they are trying to attack you a lot, instead of react to approaches while holding down half the game.

Basically, reactive Charizard that slowly encroaches on your space wins all day. We get edgeguarded hard, tech chased hard, huge range disadvantage, and he doesn't have a crippling flaw for us to exploit. There is no "Just get him offstage at 50 and Knee, he won't make it back".
In Melee, Falcon has no advantageous match-ups.
In Project: M, he also doesn't have an advantageous match-up against himself.
Edit: Useful info, I know.
I'm now working on the Falcon MUs, starting off, how's Bowser. I have Charizard thanks to you guys.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I'm now working on the Falcon MUs, starting off, how's Bowser. I have Charizard thanks to you guys.
Falcon can run circles around bowser, and comboing him into knees is easy. However, bowser is bowser. From my experience the matchup is about even or slightlty in either ones favor. I feel more towards bowsers side though, being that he put some hurt on falcon's fall speed

Last edited:

McD

Smash Journeyman
I've personally had a rougher time with ZSS
Her tether has the ability to stop my approach, that being said she is a really easy grab game.
If I keep my distance, she has the ability to do the shoot beam approach and grab or catch my out of the air. On any stage with platforms she can just control by getting under and using her tether vertically.
I don't feel its an easy matchup, but maybe my tech skill is below average currently, I do have problems with the timing due to the stun.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Falcon for sure wins
When Falcon is offstage, he should be dead. On stage is harder, because bowser's attacks can be easily baited by falcon's great dash dance and multiple setups into knee to get the bowz offstage. Not to mention, it is extremely easy to get a grab in, and with a guy like falcon, it will always result in somesort of combo.
I still think the matchup is about even, swinging in either falcon's or bowser's favor slightly. But like I said earlier, Bowser is bowser, and getting hit by a random forward smash happens to everyone

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Falcon beats Bowser because he wins the neutral game, and on average, will convert random hits/grabs into harder punishes than Bowser can. Both Bowser and Falcon can edgeguard each other extremely effectively. You shouldn't ever get hit by random Bowser F-Smashes.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
And his bad MUs? Zelda, Fox, Marth, Falco, MK, Sheik, Pikachu, Roy.
I respectfully disagree on Marth, Roy, Zelda, and maybe even MK. I'll explain why.

Marth: This was an even matchup in Melee, and now that Falcon has a good DD punish in Falcon Kick, and Raptor Boost recovery options, Marth has a notably harder time edgeguarding you.

Roy: His juggling/combo game on Falcon is a good bit worse than Marth's, his random hits hurt more, but his weight and weaker recovery make comboing and killing him very easy.

Zelda: Her Zoning game is strong, but we have amazing D-Throw followups (including guaranteed Knee around kill percents) against her. Nair away her fireballs, and above all else, NEVER force an offensive maneuver. Her relatively tall height with her floaty weight make her delicious Up-Air food. She struggles with DD camping, you should generally do this from around half a a Battlefield stage length away from her. DD camping forces her to play fair,and Falcon is better at it than she is.

MK: He slightly outclasses us in the neutral game with his disjointed attacks, but we can on average punish him harder than he can us. U-throw is your best friend. I'm inclined to think this is a relatively even matchup from my experience.

If any of you would like me to further elaborate on these, just let me know. :)

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I respectfully disagree on Marth, Roy, Zelda, and maybe even MK. I'll explain why.

Marth: This was an even matchup in Melee, and now that Falcon has a good DD punish in Falcon Kick, and Raptor Boost recovery options, Marth has a notably harder time edgeguarding you.

Roy: His juggling/combo game on Falcon is a good bit worse than Marth's, his random hits hurt more, but his weight and weaker recovery make comboing and killing him very easy.

Zelda: Her Zoning game is strong, but we have amazing D-Throw followups (including guaranteed Knee around kill percents) against her. Nair away her fireballs, and above all else, NEVER force an offensive maneuver. Her relatively tall height with her floaty weight make her delicious Up-Air food. She struggles with DD camping, you should generally do this from around half a a Battlefield stage length away from her. DD camping forces her to play fair,and Falcon is better at it than she is.

MK: He slightly outclasses us in the neutral game with his disjointed attacks, but we can on average punish him harder than he can us. U-throw is your best friend. I'm inclined to think this is a relatively even matchup from my experience.

If any of you would like me to further elaborate on these, just let me know. :)
Zelda's teledash is probably the best option against Falcon, though if she is taken to FD, Smashville, Green Hill, or Lylat Cruise she has neither teledashing nor dins to use against Falcon. She now only has her lightning kicks and Nayru and normals. Zelda's combos work extremely well against Falcon. Traps if set (they would be set while he's offstage) are amazing especially against him. With din's and the telegame removed from her arsenal, all she has is Nayru's as I said. But Love is bad for Falcon's combos. The Jump is good for escaping uair strings, b reversed it can stop the knee and send him off stage, leading to a super easy edgeguard. While Falcon's movement and attacks can make much of Zelda null, the rest of her is easily equipped to deal with Falcon. I agree with pretty much everything else you said though.

Top Bottom