• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best ways to practice the knee?

Sergetrigger

Smash Cadet
For me, I somehow always send it out too early or too late. What are the best ways to practice the knee, so I can do it nearly on command with full power? Also what are the best combos to end with the knee? For me it's down throw to uair, jump and knee. It works if there's no DI involve.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Landing the Knee on command? Wait, when?

Actually, you can technically combo into it from an autocanceled D-air, but otherwise, just wait for someone like Snake to recover really badly, then try landing it. It's really situational, so you're usually better off going for the B-air.

Otherwise, I personally think the non-sweetspotted Knee is also useful. It has a high trip rate, which can COMBO into an Up-B at mid percents (I think it needs to be autocanceled).

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Yea just practice 'combos' on the sandbag before your wifi games and you'll learn the timing pretty well... training mode works just as well as the sandbag but you need to try it on real people (in the wifi games that are loading while you're practicing on the sandbag) so that you realize that most of the times in which you'd like to knee someone you shouldn't try it because they'll shieldgrab or smash or FAir/NAir you. The best ways I know to land a knee on someone are:
> Do a SH approach at someone, and if they try to FSmash you, use your second jump to get away but DI back in for the Knee (best used on large characters because if you time it too late on short characters you'll get punished bad)
> On short platforms like Battlefield, you can sweetspot a lagless knee (SH) on someone's feet if they are on the platform above you (hits them if they are knocked down too; usually you want to have them be at slight diagonal forward in front of you because when you do the Knee you usually go forward)
> You can also full hop it at people on platforms above you, but it's not as safe
> Dash-attack to jump forward to knee works alright, although it is avoidable; it probably won't work on the same opponent more than twice
> I havn't gotten around to trying this yet, but if you are expecting someone to roll behind you because they are expecting you to try to Smash them, a retreating knee might hit them. There should be enough time for you to tell whether or not to throw out the knee (if you shouldn't, don't because a sweetspotted knee will give you landing lag; if they spot-dodged or shielded, they can probably punish it)

Thats about it.

Honestly, I throw out (and hit with) more Falcon Punches than Knees, because Falcon Punch has great range and is better suited for mindgames.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
go to practice mode, pick a short person like ness or pickachu. then command them to jump and start performing the knee

Tenki

Smash Hero
Learn Falcon's FH/SH/fastfalls and the actual timing for the knee.

The most important part, IMO is actually knowing his jumps well enough, then you can work on doing the knee's timing.

On wifi the other day, I kneed a recovering MK ftw.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I practiced it in practice mode on Captain Olimar (or anybody who's tiny) with the computer set to "jump". It helps not only with timing but more importantly, your aiming. Aim is very important.

Tenki

Smash Hero
On a random question,

Do the more experienced Falcon mainers around here still consider the knee 'hard to hit'?

After learning Falcon's jumps, it doesn't really seem all that hard to me anymore o_o;

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I havn't really bothered to get the timing down yet, since there's very few situations in which I would want to use the Knee, and I don't have too much trouble landing DSmash anyways. I would try it more if I bothered to get the timing down, but 3% for a early knee and 0% with a late knee, and landing lag don't appeal to me.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
On a random question,

Do the more experienced Falcon mainers around here still consider the knee 'hard to hit'?

After learning Falcon's jumps, it doesn't really seem all that hard to me anymore o_o;
To be honest with you, it actually hasn't bothered me that much. It just feels well earned when I DO land it. Thankfully Captain Falcon's entire play doesn't depend on the knee as much anymore.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
What ever you do, dont play melee.
Try to land your knees above the shin guards.
It wasnt until then i pulled off A BACKWARDS KNEEEEEEEEE!
MELEEEEEEEEEEE

Doomed

Smash Rookie
Sandbag. Although I am correct in thinking it's much harder than Melee to land now?
Yes, absolutely.
My suggestion is to practice it first with sandbag and then with CPU ( assuming that you don't want to battle other humans until your knee is perfect ). The sandbag will help you to improve your timing when CPU will help you to improve your aim. If your timing is average then you can avoid sandbag training.
Another suggestion: keep the knee as a secondary finisher, use it only when you are sure to land a hit or when you aren't in a critical situation. Missing with the knee means leaving your CF in midair, defenseless.

Top Bottom