• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to train against CPUs?

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Well first of all i have a friend that play ssbb, we play together, but he's just noob spam ike's jab and fsmash (no problem with that, i still win).
I would like to improve myself playing against CPUs (they are better than him).
What would you recommend me to do?

<^v>

Smash Rookie
CPU's really aren't the best to gain brawling skills. Sure, for a bit they help, but once you can kill them with no issues, they wont improve your game.

I would suggest going around these forums looking for FC's of players with similar skills to you. Players and CPU's act completely different in fighting styles, so I would suggest training against other players.

:phone:

Fireman

Smash Rookie
Well, you can use CPU's to perfect your AT knowledge. Grab-releases, putting items on and learning how to glide-toss, etc. That's really helpful. You shouldn't be trying to improve your fighting style with CPU's though, because of what was said above.

TimboJimbo

Smash Rookie
If I can't kill level 9s consistently (I win 60-80% of the time, but it's always close) is there any point in me trying to play brawl against people?

Battousai780

Smash Ace
If I can't kill level 9s consistently (I win 60-80% of the time, but it's always close) is there any point in me trying to play brawl against people?
Yes. People are easier or harder than a CPU depending on their game experience. Obviously some people play smart/know what to do, and you won't beat them (unless you know what to do better). At the same time, CPUs can powershield like maniacs.

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
go to AiB and play wifi all dai
when u feel confident go to tourneys in your region

This topic always gets asked every once in a while.

For starters, always play on 3 stock, 8 minute timer with stages set to random, with the stages selected to match your area's typical stage list. Probably pretty obvious.

(Assuming you have played for a decent length of time) Start off with a lv 8. Once you think you are comfortable with moving your character around and have started implementing many different techs for your character without much difficulty (such as mortar slide with snake, or edgehogging when you should, or controlling sonic's spindashes, etc.), move onto the lv 9 cpu.

The level 9 CPU will read inputs from your controller and seem difficult to hit as you keep trying to attack it either by hitting you out of attacks, power shielding attacks, or getting out of the way with dodges. This is a great way to test yourself to see if you are becoming very aggressive or not spacing your attacks properly.

A quick example, trying to hit the CPU when they are falling from the sky will usually not work because they airdodge it or move out of the way. Being aggressive and acting hastily in this case is a bad idea. You want to position yourself in a way that you can cover the options they have. Jump near your opponent and wait for them to do something, once you see what they have done (like airdodge), then attack. You spaced yourself by jumping near them, but without being in danger of being hit and waited until they did something and punished it. There are other situations, but this should give a general idea about playing defensively.

However, you will eventually need the human element in your matches. Get on wifi, try to teach your friend, or simply got involved with the smash community if you can (best way). Otherwise, there is not much you can improve solely on CPU alone.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
My friend told me he 3-stocked a level 9 Marth.

I don't think I've 3-stocked a level 9 CPU EVER.

I still never lose to him.

CPU's pretty much good for learning everything EXCEPT how to play against someone else. So yah, don't worry 'bout it too much. Playing good people will get you better, trust me on this.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Wifi sucks, i can't move at it >.<
Tournaments? i live in brazil, there's like 5 tournaments a year, community SUCKS here.

i love playing brawl, i don't wanna give up, i have hope

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Tournaments? i live in brazil, there's like 5 tournaments a year, community SUCKS here.

I believe M2K said he got better fighting CPUs

What he did was he tried to set the CPUs up so that they would be in similar
situations as human players so he could learn said situation for a human opponent.

Also, good rec. is watch vids when you have no one good to play lol. You can learn a few trickies here or there about your main or other characters.

Also, this is mostly carry-over knowledge from Melee, but I wouldn't play against level 9 CPUs. Some of their techniques are just ridiculous (repeated powershields, etc.) that you won't deal with when playing people

Also (again lol) play with your nooby Ike friend often

If he's easy...try experimenting new things with your character on him and see
how it goes

Could potentially learn something very interesting about your character lol

-Ran

Smash Master

Change it if you don't like it. Find a venue and run your own events.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Change it if you don't like it. Find a venue and run your own events.
This ^. Even if you absolutely know that no one plays competitively. (Which you can't... define truth) Host a tourney in your region, see who participates, and take it from there. Entice others to play = more opponents = get better!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i actually got good at brawl from playing cpu's

i like lvl 9 pikachu and peach and metaknight, just put them at 3, 4, 5, or even 6 stock (really hard)

and try to win without losing a life.

5 stocking peach is really difficult, cuz she mixes it up.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
I go to tournies regularily in Texas, and since I live in the middle of NOWHERE
and have no Wifi, I can only train with COM's. My advice is, once you have mastered beating Lv.9
COM's, try beating 2 at the same time. It really makes you work hard and is good practice for a
bad situation in doubles.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
I suppose so... you should try to aim at beating them without losing a life.
In ya know a regular 3 life match. Once you can do that, move on to two coms.
Never tryed the handicap, but I'm sure it would make it even tougher.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I suppose so... you should try to aim at beating them without losing a life.
In ya know a regular 3 life match. Once you can do that, move on to two coms.
Never tryed the handicap, but I'm sure it would make it even tougher.
Fighting two computers at once will gain you nothing.
Handicaps the way to go. Set your damage ridiculously high and you'll start to realize how important spacing your moves are. Its best not to use level 9 computers for this though. I mean you could, but they manage to perfect shield some rediiiculous things. Use a level 7.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
oh well, just took him out with 5 different characters =.=
But it's ok thanks for the support guys, i will try to train like you said :D

link2702

Smash Champion
cpus aren't exactly the best thing to fight/train against for 2 reasons.

1. they actually make you kinda predictable if you face em to much.

cpus tend to fall for nearly the same stuff all the time, so as a result, you tend to use the same things everytime, annnnnnnd they fall for really basic stuff that a real player never would.

2. they don't give you an accurate understanding at all on how their character should be played. A level 9 metaknight is crap, yet a real metaknight player will be able to overwhelm their opponent with all the crazy **** that masked bat can do. Only cpu that i've ever felt was a challenge was the luigi level 9.

unless you are planning on playing the Ice climbers, and want to get their chaingrabs timing down i would avoid facing cpus at all cost, cuz IMO that is the only time facing a cpu would even be worth mentioning.

Top Bottom