• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Version of Melee?

Signia

Smash Lord
If we had the choice to play the PAL version, or an NTSC version with all of the PAL version's balance changes, would we play the PAL version over NTSC?

Which is better for competitive play, NTSC 1.0 or 1.2? It surprises me that there are so few conflicts over which version to use in a tournament match, when some moves are far less effective in 1.2 where you can SDI out of multihitting moves that do less than 1% like pikachu's downsmash or ICs utilt.

Which version is best?

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
I asked myself a similar question a few days back. Some setups at tournaments have 1.2, some 1.1 or 1.0, wouldn't it be right to make tournaments 1.0 and 1.1 or 1.2 only?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
PAL is the most recent version of the game, so it makes sense that it should be the standard. (it's also more balanced)

But for NTSC version 1.2 should be the standard, also because it's the newer version, and iirc has glitches such as the IC freeze glitch fixed.

Edit:
I really don't think that there's that much of a difference between the NTSC versions, though IMO 1.2 should have priority over the others. (so if someone requests 1.2 then that's the one that's used)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I like PAL because it makes DK slightly better and indirectly better due to the top tier chars being nerfed.
But NTSC all the way, 1.0 or 1.2 doesn't matter to me.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Falcons too good in PAL. All of his bad mus are better.

What I don't get is why there''s so little PAL Falcon players. There's like 3.

Doser

Smash Ace
PAL is the most recent version of the game, so it makes sense that it should be the standard. (it's also more balanced)

But for NTSC version 1.2 should be the standard, also because it's the newer version, and iirc has glitches such as the IC freeze glitch fixed.

Edit:
I really don't think that there's that much of a difference between the NTSC versions, though IMO 1.2 should have priority over the others. (so if someone requests 1.2 then that's the one that's used)
Why does being newer mean it must be better? Also the balance in PAL doesn't seem like it has helped low tiers all that much in terms of tournament representation.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
I would play PAL or be willing to play 1.2 if hits that did <1 damage still had 0 hitlag.

In 1.2, Bowser also can't flame cancel.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Why does being newer mean it must be better? Also the balance in PAL doesn't seem like it has helped low tiers all that much in terms of tournament representation.
It doesn't mean it must be better.

But it's like if a game's patched you don't use the older version for competitive play...

Every little bit helps with balance though.
Except Ganon's fair I have no idea why that was nerfed >.>

Also there are a couple of other things like CF being able to gentleman with ease.

Also all attacks having hitlag is a good thing.....

Though I don't ever expect the US to switch over to PAL as it'd be too hard to enforce properly and isn't really needed.

Though overall it seems like regions with NTSC as the version sold prefer NTSC, while regions with PAL prefer the PAL version.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Falcons too good in PAL. All of his bad mus are better.

What I don't get is why there''s so little PAL Falcon players. There's like 3.
IIRC 4 falcons made it to bracket at BEAST.

Edit: Yeah, just checked - Fuzzy, Jeapie, pamaro and nizro... Well not entirely sure nizro used falcon, but I *think* he did.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Also all attacks having hitlag is a good thing.....
You can't possibly say that without being entirely subjective, when the effect being referred to affects attacks that have 1 damage hitboxes. That's a tiny fraction of all moves in the game, yet it greatly affects Zelda in particular because she has Usmash, Fsmash, and nB which use such hitboxes.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
You can't possibly say that without being entirely subjective, when the effect being referred to affects attacks that have 1 damage hitboxes. That's a tiny fraction of all moves in the game, yet it greatly affects Zelda in particular because she has Usmash, Fsmash, and nB which use such hitboxes.
You're right it is subjective.

But I don't really care about Zelda since she sucks either way :p

Mizar

Smash Ace
IIRC 4 falcons made it to bracket at BEAST.

Edit: Yeah, just checked - Fuzzy, Jeapie, pamaro and nizro... Well not entirely sure nizro used falcon, but I *think* he did.
Pamaro is actually really good, he just doesnt care enough to play serious.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I really wonder how I could do with Ganon in PAL.
You'd get ***** by everyone, sorry.

Nah, Fair is still good in that it has the same range and speed so it can be used in the same situations. For killing you'd just have to use Bair, which oddly enough got buffed. Doesn't kill as early as Fair in NTSC though :(

Yeah, just checked - Fuzzy, Jeapie, pamaro and nizro... Well not entirely sure nizro used falcon, but I *think* he did.
Pamaro made it pretty far too :kirby:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You'd get ***** by everyone, sorry.

Nah, Fair is still good in that it has the same range and speed so it can be used in the same situations. For killing you'd just have to use Bair, which oddly enough got buffed. Doesn't kill as early as Fair in NTSC though :(

Pamaro made it pretty far too :kirby:
Joking or not, I'm pretty sure I can take most EU guys. =P

stelzig

Smash Lord
4 top Falcons yes, but we don't know about possibly more.
IIRC I had a pool with almost only falcons in at berlin calling. Falcon is used and represented plenty in europe. He's just still not that great of a character. I think sheik is more underused in US (who afaik is more popular in PAL even though worse), than falcon is in europe.

Jonas: Jeapie also placed right below pamaro losing to armada and calle w.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Falcon is a awful character, that's true.

PAL version is the best btw, a lot more balanced than NTSC.

NTSC is more broken and more fun tho.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
personally, call me weird, but I preffer 1.2. I can live without a couple glitches and slightly better/weakened moves. while I get say, better AI for Nana. PAL version seems boring to me, sorry Europe. I like that some chars are broken ie: flaco and sheik. Both playing as, and against them. However, I don't mind playing on 1.0,1.1.

*haven't tryed NTSC-J yet*

Beat!

Smash Master
Falco is one of the least nerfed chars in PAL. What are you talking about, lol

Not counting the chars that wasn't changed at all of course.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Speaking from a nonbiased perspective PAL is probably the most balanced...

But I'd rather play NTSC anyday because I play "Broken Characters"...

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
I forgot that PAL also can't run in progressive scan... which is bleh for me.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Falco is one of the least nerfed chars in PAL. What are you talking about, lol

Not counting the chars that wasn't changed at all of course.
Yeah seriously. The Dair thing with falco isn't a big deal. Ocasionally it'll even give you a KO in PAL where you wouldn't have gotten one in NTSC :p

PAL is also better because it has shorter loading times. Slightly faster tournaments and more matches, which seemingly matters alot to people with all the ragequitting :p

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
o rly? i do like to cram moar maylay in mah free time and cut off 60 frames in stage loading and menu navigation (not sarcasm, sounds pretty neat)
I wonder if we could do some .dol hacking and keep ntsc, get the PAL name tag system (that thing is awesomde lol), get faster loading speed and keep melee charecters, that'd be sweet.

Rykard

Smash Ace
i would say either NTSC 1.0 or PAL because in the later version of NTSC, the low tiers are pretty much nerfed in a lot of weird ways. Like being able to DI out of multi hit moves like pikachus downsmash or samus's up B is easier in versions 1.1 and 1.2.

also Young Link can't get more recovery with his boomerang in versions 1.1 or 1.2 which kind of sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s8I5uhmX_A

However in PAL, at least the higher tiered characters also have some modifications making the other differences not really matter as much.

keeper

Smash Champion
i would say either NTSC 1.0 or PAL because in the later version of NTSC, the low tiers are pretty much nerfed in a lot of weird ways. Like being able to DI out of multi hit moves like pikachus downsmash or samus's up B is easier in versions 1.1 and 1.2.

also Young Link can't get more recovery with his boomerang in versions 1.1 or 1.2 which kind of sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s8I5uhmX_A

However in PAL, at least the higher tiered characters also have some modifications making the other differences not really matter as much.
Yeah, Pichu is much more viable in 1.0.

:|

im sure this has been asked a million times, but is there a difference of versions thread?
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_regional_version_differences_(SSBM)

Fox's fair doesn't have more range in PAL though (at least I'm pretty sure this has been confirmed as wrong). There's probably a couple other misconceptions on that list.

Top Bottom