• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Gaming Magazine/Website

lildudespider

Smash Rookie
i have found that the best gaming magazines/websites are the ones which are voted on by the site staff and the readers, magazines like nintendo power are full of crap mostly because the articles are by one person and rated by one person, for example i use amazon.comand other shopping sites to view the rating of the users, and these ratings are 99.9% correct so i hardlt ever get somthing i wont want. nintendo power gave metroid prime 3 a perfect 10 when it came out, i payed 75 dolalrs for it and never played it again after 10 minutes of wasted time, meanwhile metroid prime 1 and 2 were the best fps games nintendo has made since Goldenye/Perfect Dark. i miss the days of the snes and the n64, and i frequently play roms to make up for them.
well anyways i reccomend gamepro, ign and amazon as good reliable sources for purchase, dont trust nintendo power, they want money not happy gamers

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
1up.com. Particularly the podcasts. Also I have bumped into Yahtzee (the guy who does zero punctuation) at a few different gaming things, and took part in a focus test for something he's working on. Just name dropping ;).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Showoff.

Best gaming mag over here is Hyper. Good, accurate and fair reviews, great articles, pieces on old and interesting games (They did a piece on Superman 64. I knew it was bad by word of mouth but they really went into depth to show why it was bad. Ugh)

Plus I had aletter posted about Melee once, so maybe I'm biased, heh.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I variate between 1up, Gametrailers, IGN, and Gamestop reviews. The more the merrier, I like different opinions as long as they make sense.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The only two gaming websites I frequent at all are IGN and Gamefaqs. I read Game Informer, but that's only because I got the subscription for free. They do some good articles, though it is a bit PS3/XBOX 360 centric. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'd rely on their reviews solely, but it's nice to have another opinion available.

I've found podcasts to be a great source of information. I'm subscribed to all of the IGN Gaming podcasts, the daily X-Play podcast, Gametrailers.com's Nintendo Spotlight podcast, and the 1Up show. I get quite a bit of info through all of these (I'm a game design student, I'm required to stay REALLY informed).

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I stick with EGM. Games are given a score by at least 3 reviewers. Its a pretty well rounded magazine, though it does tend to overrate Halo and other major serieses a bit much which takes up like I don't know half the magazine, but other than that its good.

~rh

Smash Lord
I got a subscription of EGM for free, so I stick with them. I loved their preview of GOW2.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I find IGN to be reliable.
Anyway, as said in zero punctuation about the button mashing newbs who win, I had a freind play Brawl for the first time, had no idea what he was doing, and was pretty hard to attack, maybe it is cause of such a weird attack pattern that can arise from button mashing.

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
I used to go to screwattack often. theres also ign, gametrailers etc.
the only magazine i get is gameinformer

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I have a free year subscription of Game Informer and the magazine is pretty cool with their articles. On reviews, they actually rate it pretty well. However, I think most of the staff there love what's on the Microsoft sytem. >.< Luckily, a few of them are Nintendo lovers like me and that's what makes me feel this magazine is pretty good overall.

For gaming sites, I check GoNintendo and IGN. I check GoNintendo for they post all news related to Nintendo and I love their community, from their usual recording sessions to their fans' comments to everything they post. I check out IGN, because I like how they see things (usually) and their podcasts are fun to listen to. Plus, they sound like they are real nerds like most video game fanatics I know. A lot of other websites I check out are bias or are pretty shallow. O, I also check GameFAQ for public reviews and their game communities. What other review is better than that of a consumer, whether they are scorned or are on Cloud Nine. :D They have a lot of fanboys there, but most of them are cool to talk to.

One thing not mentioned are television shows. I check out X Play for their comments and interviews. They are crazy for good FPS games, but they do reliable reviews also. They tell you if a game sucks, it sucks, and if a game is great, they will praise it high and mighty like Okami and MGS4, which I got, since they were right. Those two games are spectacular. :D (Plus, by supporting that show, I get to see E3 on my television, what more can I ask for lol). There's another video game show I watch on Friday nights on SPIKE TV, but I forgot the name of it. It is great what they show though, from exclusive, and I mean really exclusive interviews, to their special trailers of upcoming games, and the reviews they do are pretty much right on the dot.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I like Zero Punctuation too, Yahtzee was at a gaming exhibition on here in Melbourne a few weeks ago, I had already been so I didn't bother to go just to see him though.

Top Bottom