• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Rosalina & Luma in Smash 4?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Rosalina & Luma from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Although I now know that one of my Best Buy locations will be involved, it probably won't be until Saturday that I'll potentially have an opportunity to try out the demo. I'd like to see how Rosalina will work out for myself.

@ Krynxe Krynxe : http://e3.nintendo.com/smashfest/

This link can also give you the Best Buy locations that'll be involved in Smash-Fest. Just type in your location's zip code; it's how I was able to find out about the Best Buy locations that weren't mentioned on the Best Buy website.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm at my best buy right now but the line is severely long and there is only one booth. Probably won't be able to play for an hour or so.

The Good: I got 1st place when I managed to play with Rosalina.

The Bad: 2 Minute match, Free For all.

The Ugly: Wii U Pro Controller.

You can't plug in your Gamecube controller within the Wii U console. They're rushing the line because there's just way too many people in the line. As a person who can play Brawl with the Wii Classic Controller, I can confidently say my first experience with the Pro Controller is horrible. The right analog stick is just as bad as everyone says and the buttons are awkwardly placed under it (what were they thinking?).

With this in mind I'm sorry to say I didn't get much opportunity to get much of a feel for Rosalina. You're put right in an FFA match and I didn't even get the opportunity to see how the buttons were mapped out. Fortunately Rosalina's Grabs are good so I shield grabbed everything and KO'd a lot, and I only got KO'd once by WFT. The only part of her moveset I really got the chance to look at were her aerials. Rosie's N-air seems solid. Stays out a long time and protects her hurtbox pretty well. Her U-air needs more exploration as I didn't get the chance to juggle anyone, so I have to stay neutral on that. Her D-air seems extremely similar to Zelda's D-air, but with much more start-up lag. That seems to be a reoccuring theme with Rosie's aerials, they're laggy, but the hitbox stays up for awhile.

I didn't get the chance to see if her aerials auto-cancelled. Too busy shield-grabbing scrubs.

I can tell her Dash Attack is pretty mediocre. Reminds me of Mario's Dash Attack.

...Yeah, that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
The Bad: 2 Minute match, Free For all.

The Ugly: Wii U Pro Controller.

You can't plug in your Gamecube controller within the Wii U console. They're rushing the line because there's just way too many people in the line. As a person who can play Brawl with the Wii Classic Controller, I can confidently say my first experience with the Pro Controller is horrible. The right analog stick is just as bad as everyone says and the buttons are awkwardly placed under it (what were they thinking?).

With this in mind I'm sorry to say I didn't get much opportunity to get much of a feel for Rosalina. You're put right in an FFA match and I didn't even get the opportunity to see how the buttons were mapped out.
this...for pretty much everything. I plan to use Rosalina on saturday, but today i played 2 matches and smash run with greninja. I've never touched a Wii U in my life until today, and it was terrible. There really was no time to get much of a feel for it at all. By the time I finally thought I was getting the hang of it, I was near the end of smash run, the last game.

Here's hoping my attempt at Rosalina isn't too bad on saturday....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You guys are so lucky. I'm absolutely dying to try her out, but I unfortunately live in "What's gaming culture" land? :c

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ HeroMystic HeroMystic : Have you at least managed to figure out which buttons on the Pro Controller do what actions? I'd think that ZL and ZR would be the grab moves, while the right control stick would be used to execute quick smash attacks.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The Right Control Stick is for smash attacks.

A button for Normals
B button for specials
X and Y for jumps.
L and R are (of course) for shield. Shield grab works the same way as Brawl/Melee. I never bothered touching ZL or ZR.

Edit: But considering it seems to be mapped the same way as the classic controller, I would assume it would execute a grab, then shield. Tether Characters would use those buttons for Z-air.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Right Control Stick is for smash attacks.

A button for Normals
B button for specials
X and Y for jumps.
L and R are (of course) for shield. Shield grab works the same way as Brawl/Melee. I never bothered touching ZL or ZR.
At least that info will help me out if I'm able to try out the demo on Saturday. I guess all that I can hope for now is if I go to my nearest participating Best Buy store early.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Things I found out.

Luma will look at and attack anyone closest to it.

Viable options

Nair out of shield if they are behind you. (and suggested that you full hop it and do it immediately out of shield)
bair out of shield (full hop).
Down B dominates in FFA
u tilt is amazing. probably her best move. ends quick. disjointed, and has priority

A fox and samus tried to dair rosalina's utilt and her utilt went right through hurting them.

PS Since SDI isn't in the game I got 40% on someone locked between Rosalina and Luma's continuous jab until someone else came and disrupted it. I'm guessing it can be an infinite if set up right since you can't SDI.

EDIT: Rosalina's Dair is very unique. It looks like it should last a long time but it actually is very short with a lot of lag. It is disjointed (probably the only good thing about it). But to get the spike you have to sweet spot it other wise it will just knock them (not very far) at a diagonal direction.

Also her jab is really freaking good.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I loved the way Rosie plays. She felt a little slow/heavy to me, but very floaty and fun to control.
L and R were grab, while ZL and ZR were shield. Also, Y activates your final smash, not B.
I also got first place when playing as Rosalina, even though I couldn't quite figure out how to use Luma correctly. I can't really give you any specific information since I only played her once, and it was for 2 minutes among four people. Kinda hectic, and I don't remember much aside from really enjoying playing as her and loving her recovery and aerials.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So I was able to play two matches. My second I used Rosalina. I don't think FFA is the best place to judge her. In addition to not being used to how Rosalina plays, I kept making terrible assumptions on where Luma actually was.

With that said, she is actually pretty fun. When I did land hits it felt nice and the luma mechanic added some extra damage opportunities.

Her smash attack seems to come out a little too slow for me liking though, but maybe that was just the chaos

I may have her as secondary along with Palutena. Also, I LOVE her gold alt. So pretty. <3

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Did anyone get a chance to use the Star Bits special?
Her side-B? Yeah I used it a lot. It's good for spacing, I suppose. Couldn't really tell if it had more range than her tilts or smashes cause by the time I used it, whoever I was aiming for was right beside me almost.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I posted this in her general thread, but I played her at SmashFest yesterday and had a blast. I liked spacing Luma out just far enough to let somebody between us, and then combo the daylights outta them. The Starbits special was cool, but I didn't find much opportunity for it in the match I played. Recovery was awesome, and she just felt good to play as overall.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Rosalina is going to be pretty good at edge guarding she can send she can use Luma off stage and use star bits. I thought it would be like Ike's Quick draw where the luma will only dash as far as the stage is but the luma just goes straight out there. Even for Rosalina's Dash attack. While Roslina only dashes as far as the stage goes the Luma is free from the confines of the stage: (1:16)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Someone should really find out what Kirby's cap will look like when he copies Rosalina. But since the demos will pretty much be every man for himself, that may be hard to pull off without a friend.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I will use Rosalina when I visit Best Buy on Saturday. Until then, I should probably mention that she definitely doesn't look like a FFA character. She seems that she'll excel in 1v1 and team matches. We can get a feel for her but her actual performance we can't exactly know until the game's release.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I will use Rosalina when I visit Best Buy on Saturday. Until then, I should probably mention that she definitely doesn't look like a FFA character. She seems that she'll excel in 1v1 and team matches. We can get a feel for her but her actual performance we can't exactly know until the game's release.
You might be surprised. Having Luma copying all your attacks is nice because you can potentially smash people in two different places. Don't forget to DownB when someone's trying to use an item on you, cuz I did and got KO'd when I could've avoided it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really haven't seen much Gravitational Pull usage in the Treehouse footage. That should really be a big priority to use when dealing with item assaults. Who knows, maybe it's the Spiny Shell's kryptonite.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
It is. The one time I did time it, someone threw the blue shell and I pulled it, thus nullifying it. Same works if someone throws a green shell at you. Villager can pocket mobile shells, too, from what I saw.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Rosalina and Luma were pretty fun to play as. I was lucky enough to win with them too.
When it came to the Free-for-All, I found it more useful to keep the Luma with you, rather than further away (at least when everyone's closer together).
Her Up-Air seems pretty good. I was able to juggle a Link player about four times while he was using Down-Air.
I was able to do an Up-Throw followed by an Up-Tilt about twice. Up-Tilt seems like a really good move to use.
I like her Back-Throw. It helped me when I was trying to get an Olimar player off the stage. I don't recall the knock-back being very good, though.
Her recovery is better than I expected, but I don't recall there being good covering of horizontal distance when falling afterwards.
Forward-Smash is pretty average on its own. It gave decent knock-back.
All in all, I really liked playing her at the demo. Her moves are generally pretty good!

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I really enjoyed playing her, she didn't click with me right away though.
She seems like a character who definitely enjoy being in mid range of opponents kinda like how toon link was. She's going to be all about set up and maybe even baits. She's like playing doubles by yourself lol. The success of any Rosalina main will depend on their ability to space and control Luma well. Does anyone know if the different color Lumas that re-spawn do more or less damage than the original one? Are their colors just for aesthetics?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Someone should really find out what Kirby's cap will look like when he copies Rosalina. But since the demos will pretty much be every man for himself, that may be hard to pull off without a friend.

I saw it. Kirby just has Rosalina's silver crown and her wand. When he presses B, he charges a Luma and shoots it out, then it disappears.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Seeing as no one has actual footage of Rosalina's pink palette swap yet, I might have to use that palette swap myself if I'm able to play the demo tomorrow.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Well I only got two minutes to use her, but she seemed really cool. I didn't really get to fiddle around with her enough to see how much luma affected anything, but she does seem really promising.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The thing I'm loving the most about all of the impressions I have read is that Rosalina herself seems to actually fight really competently as is, with a very nice damage output. Rosalina mains with mastery over Luma sound like they could be absolutely terrifying. And I plan to become that!

ACSL8R

Smash Rookie
NNID
ACSL8R
3DS FC
2595-2135-0990
I'm loving Rosie's down taunt <3

Is there footage of Polari?

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashSage

Smash Rookie
Still bothering me that the inside of her dress is BLACK! I thought that by now Sakurai improved her texture but I suppose he will keep this lame black void until the release version. :(

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I went to the Best Buy Smashfest and used Mega Man and Rosalina.

I want to main Rosalina now because she is so much fun for me to use (not that Mega Man isn't)!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I lost track of Luma and accidentally got the Smash Ball. And yeah her Final Smash is kinda pathetic not gonna lie.

My main problem was that I've never used a Pro Controller in my life and I kept getting the buttons mixed up. I kept pressing Y instead of B and B instead of A. It takes some getting used to but that's my only complaint.

Rosalina plays great and I won the match with her. I would play all day if I could. 2 minutes went by like nothing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, makes me glad Rosalina's weakest aspect (final smash) is something that won't be present/count against her when people are playing without items/smash ball turned on at least.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
First of all, I agree with HeroMystic on the CCPro. That second stick's position is disorienting. XP

That said, IMO, Rosalina feels like a better Zelda. Luma Shot looks like a really good projectile if used properly, her aerials have hitboxes that stay out as long as the cosmos, it feels like. And I think her jab and shield grab game's pretty good? I dunno. Oh, and she's pretty :3 (Don't judge me XD)
I think the big thing keeping her from being a scrub character is high learning curve.

Definitely a character I'm interested in spending lab time with ATM when the 3DS version comes out.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I really wish I could play as her....

When they took the last group in at 4:30, my friend and I were next in line :glare:
I did get to see someone use her, and that jab is awesome.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I played with Rosalina for one match (because my Best Buy sucks and disallowed 2) and won with her. It is really difficult to provide any accurate analysis because it was a FFA with items on, and most importantly, I (and everyone else, really) had a huge handicap with the Pro Controller with its awful button layout.

Rosalina is pretty strong and her recovery is AMAZING with a good double jump. Her only flaw would be her KO power, hurtbox frame and learning curve.

I wasn't able to use Luma effectively because of the FFA and such, but she's not useless without Luma. Her range increases quite a bit with Luma around. However, I think if Luma is tumbling mid-air, he won't attempt to recover and will fall to his doom. I'm not sure what ways there are to save him from this, because he is quite a sitting duck in this sort of position.

I can't say much about her KO power. I KO'd someone with a 1/3-charged forward smash at 100% and they were sent a bit far and were KO'd, so there's that. I heard from others she has a great Up Smash but I didn't use it so idk. Her Dsmash was weak iirc, but that was at very low %s so I can't say for sure. Her smashes will KO if you charge them up a bit, though, so if you are good enough to bait opponents you can get KOs that way.

Rosalina has good aerials. They have range and long hitboxes but they don't KO, I think (unless Bair does, didn't test this). Fair is a great way to approach. As an approach, Luma Shot is pretty good but has some lag, and can also KO if fully charged which is quite a nice surprise.

Rosalina definitely has a great recovery. She's able to recover from pretty much anywhere (unless below the stage, of course). She gains horizontal momentum from Launch Star and her aerial mobility + floatiness grants her to ability to move a good bit while helpless. She has a good double jump, too.

Rosalina's major flaw is her zoning. She has a high learning curve if you are to use Luma effectively, and without these skills, she can have trouble catching her opponents. Even if you use Luma as a shield, it won't work forever, against opponents with projectiles. You will have to be on constant duty to switch how far Luma is from Rosalina, while Rosalina does most of the attacking. Rosalina's smashes also don't have that great of range, so hopefully there can be other ways to KO. If Luma has KO smashes, it could be possible to use him as the finisher.

Also, I don't really know, but Rosalina's weight seems to be on the heavier side, like Samus, despite her floatiness. I didn't get KO'd until around ~120% but I honestly don't know.

This can all change in the final version but I do like how she plays even if the Pro Controller was awful. I'm eagerly waiting for the Wii U version to play as her more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom