• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Rosalina & Luma in Smash 4?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Final Smash pretty much requires a good location spot, and Rosalina's ability to send her opponents near it. I guess in a way, it's similar to Jigglypuff's Puff Up Final Smash, apart from that Rosalina actually has the freedom to force her opponents to get caught in her Final Smash's onslaught.

While it's true that Rosalina's Final Smash may not be that impressive, at least it's not as pathetic as Jigglypuff's.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman

Here we have a good quality video of Rosalina. My first impression : she's really hard to play, and maybe not adapted for free for all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem probably more lies on the Rosalina player's poor move choices. I'm pretty sure that the match would've ended differently if a more experienced Rosalina player was playing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
does she summojn a luma immediataly if it's KO'd or you need to NB to get one?
What happens if you use SD with no Luma?
From what I've noticed, a new Luma spawns after about 8 seconds have passed, but there have been no reports of the Luma Shot summoning a new Luma at will yet.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
From what I've noticed, a new Luma spawns after about 8 seconds have passed, but there have been no reports of the Luma Shot summoning a new Luma at will yet.
I thought I saw gameplay confirmation of the fact that Rosalina can force a Luma to spawn (possibly using her Luma Shot while it's gone?) And as soon as she leaves the spawn platform, a Luma spawns automatically. She seems to also start matches with them, so no worries for Sudden Death.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
Although I don't post often on any forum I definitely wanted to share my opinions on how my experience went with the Smash Fest demo. I attended both the Wednesday, and Saturday sessions. I don't know if it was just the Best Buy I went to, or I just got lucky, but I had a total of 12 sessions on the Wii U (with three of them consisting of two 2:00 games), and around 18 go's with the 3DS. I spent all but two games working on trying out Rosalina and seeing how good of a feel I could get with her. Where to start though..

I can easily say I'm pleased with how she plays, and as mentioned above there's definitely going to be a very high learning curve with her, and perfecting the Luma Shot which will probably be one of (if not the most) versatile neutral-B's in the game. The Luma Shot is simply fun to use, and experiment with. It definitely has KO potential when fully charged which really was a pleasing surprise. I probably nabbed around 7 ko's throughout the entire Fest using just that alone. Obviously the ability to edge guard because of Luma is phenom, and creates additional hazards that your opponent has to be weary of when attempting to recover. There will also definitely be potential for some very impressive juggles using the Luma Shot due to the spacing you can create between the two if timed correctly. There were a couple of instances where Luma had fallen underneath Battlefield, and I had to take the time to jump off the stage and use my neutral-B again to call her up to me, but other than that I always felt pretty confident when I was using Rosalina in the multiplayer environment due to the separation I was able to create between the two. I felt like I was simply dominating the ground game.

In regard to force-summoning another Luma using her neutral-B after you lose one I was unable to do so. Her neutral-B, and side-B became essentially worthless when I was flying solo, although it didn't take too long before another Luma respawned by itself, so I was never in too bad of a pickle there.

Rosalina also feels like she can play very well without Luma. Of course there's more you can do when they're together, but I never felt like I was playing a single Ice Climber and was severely hindered or anything along those lines. I just wasn't able to rack up damage as quickly, and I couldn't create the spacing I would have liked to.

All of her smash attacks hit pretty well, and in conjunction with Luma I was definitely dealing sufficient damage quickly. They all had KO potential, and the start-up for all of them seemed very appropriate, and weren't hindering me.

Aerial game was definitely pretty solid, although I was pretty disappointed with the ko potential all of the moves offered. The d-air spike seemed to be the most effective, but the sweet spot is relatively small.

I definitely never died too quickly with her. She has a good weight to her despite being floaty. I'm pretty sure the highest percentage I got to before dying was 214% which I was pretty impressed with since I was getting plenty of kills throughout every match. Happily had 7 ko's with 1 fall in my best outing.

I spent most of my time quickly trying to learn the ropes with Rosalina, and devoted most of my play to quickly being able to use the Luma Shot, and just the two in conjunction with one another. I really didn't analyze her moves as much I wished I could have looking back, but I do know that her mechanics are just ridiculously fun, and I can't wait to lab with her as much as possible once the 3DS title releases.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I will edit this after reading, I'm sure.

Rosalina is a real hoot. She was my first match (only on Wii U) and somehow I managed to win with her, which is strange because my entire focus was on getting the smash ball (which became knocking it out of other players four times, only to die with it in my body). From this I learned her smash attacks seem to have high priority (but it may have been relative, or I a better player), or it could have been a delayed effect from my Luma. Her recovery is actually a bit of a challenge to use, but soars quite high and can catch quite off guard.

This is very little in regards to competitive, but- what could be said for that at this stage? I got to play as her, and I played smash run three times, once as Megaman, once as Greninja, once as Villager.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Was Rosalina's XBOX HUEG size (:awesome:) awkward for you guys when you were playing? It just sounds kinda weird to me for a larger character to be that floaty/light-weight, it almost sounds like Mewtwo and Ike's weights/floatiness did a Fusion Dance.

Last edited:

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
Was Rosalina's XBOX HUEG size (:awesome:) awkward for you guys when you were playing? It just sounds kinda weird to me for a larger character to be that floaty/light-weight, it almost sounds like Mewtwo and Ike's weights/floatiness did a Fusion Dance.
I definitely got a Mewtwo sort of vibe when playing as her. More so than Ike for sure. She does have her awkward moments when you first start playing as her for sure, but I definitely feel once there's a 1v1 environment that she can actually play in (considering she wasn't available in the 3ds demo) the awkwardness that everybody felt with her can easily be remedied.

I'm sure it's just going to be a high learning curve that's associated with her. She definitely played differently compared to every other character that I played as during the demo since every time I got my hands on a 3ds I was experimenting with somebody new.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
Two questions:
If Rosalina is in mid-roll animation, can the player still input an attack with Luma?
Also, can the player attack with Luma while Rosalina is grabbing someone else? (Including jump inputs)

Benze Colon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Benze
3DS FC
4184-1443-1820
Rosalina is soooo amazing bc shes the only character that can be able to be in 2 places at once cant wait to play as her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom