• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Approach methods with GW?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I've noticed that while i love playing GW, my approach is very predictable/repetitive.

Its pretty much a shffl'd Fair every time.

what are some creative/unpredictable methods of approach with gw?

chronofreak

Smash Apprentice
Depending on the circumstance, I either shfflc fair, shfflc dair (risky though), or wavedash around and come out with a dtilt.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Launch Meat at them at high speeds then go flying in with whatever you've got.

It works for falco atleast.

Onifrio

Smash Journeyman
Take advantage of his fast grabs. Wavedance back and forth until they look like they are expecting an attack and once you see the shield pop up wavegrab em.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
ShortHopSausages towards > Panfire them > Grab > Upthrow > Any Air bar Upair.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
yeah once people catch on to the Fair spam your pretty much toast considering you can L cancel ANy of his moves *laff* and his sheild /roll is just obserd. try throwing sopme bacon and see what your opponent does/doesnt do

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
SHFFL Fair and Dair works pretty well, try and postion yourself so you land behind them for the end of the Dair, but still close to them. Sometimes if you land in front of them the ground hit of the D-air can get under their shield. Failing this wavedash about, Jab -> Grab is amazing, as is D-tilt. The pan sausages can be used to either weaken their shield, hold them in place for a follow up or get them to come to you.

Hope this helps.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
G&W's approach isn't a straightforward approach, it's more of a "two steps forward, one step back" kind of thing. You have to move around a lot and be speedy, vary your movements. Try to surprise them with each move. Heck, run or jump past them and then jump backwards and bair, anything. There are so many combinations of stuff you can do, you just have to be creative. There are dozens of ways you can land an fair.

Sorry if it's vague, but that's how I approach :)

Gea

Smash Master
G&W's approach isn't a straightforward approach, it's more of a "two steps forward, one step back" kind of thing. You have to move around a lot and be speedy, vary your movements. Try to surprise them with each move. Heck, run or jump past them and then jump backwards and bair, anything. There are so many combinations of stuff you can do, you just have to be creative. There are dozens of ways you can land an fair.

Sorry if it's vague, but that's how I approach :)
Truth, but there are "standards" to this:

Staple approach are empty SHFFLs into backwards wavedashes, dash forward into backwards wavedases... repeat until you randomly fair. That's mainly flatland.

Waveland around on platforms and stuff then when you see an opening, take it. GW has great hitboxes. Use 'em.

Edit: Also using the double hit of the key can work really well too. And like someone said, wavetilt that manhole.

And doesn't jab grab suck with GW? It seems SO SLOW.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
jab DTILT, much better than grab imo. If you do a shffl Fair -> jab -> dtilt the dtilt usually shield stabs pretty well if they shielded the whole thing. This normally combos pretty well.

Sony

Smash Apprentice
i use shffl'd dair l-cancel to down tilt i went to nexus and Snap told me that if u l-cancel at the right moment that they cant do anything but shield the down tilt works good against my friends

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Approaching with the key and follow up dtilt etc. is always good. Ive seen a lot of GaWs simply
approach with the Fair when the opponents at less then 25% which can really screw you over
because it causes no knock back. With the key, you have 2 hits. A hit from the key itself and a meteor near GaWs hands.
If the opponent attempts to s.grab, the key works well with the first hit reducing the sheild and the second making contact. (unless they light shield) Though 56Ks approach is good too if not better.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Yayuhzzz :)

But I'll try to be more direct and actually explain the moves I do lol. Basically the same stuff people mentioned.

Dair -> (jab optional) -> dtilt
Fair -> (jab optional -> dtilt
WD -> (jab optional) -> dtilt
Bair -> whatever

Most of my approaches are just combo starters. I'm pretty much always looking for combos. And when they're too damaged to combo, I'm looking for a kill move. Most of my stocks will look the same but it works.

Like I said, even though G&W doesn't have a lot of move options, he has a lot of movement options.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
56k mentions something which is very useful for more defensive characters, like G&W. It seems small at first, but when partnered with a defensive style, it becomes a very effective change-up, possibly even allowing for an offensive rush-down (though mostly for characters with faster attacks, like the Doc).

I'm talking about offensive wavedashing. If your opponent is expecting you to wait for his approach, he isn't expecting a wavedash into a jab. G&W's jab is less than stellar, of course, but it still sets up grabs well. Fighting a big character? Surprise him with a wavedash > jab > d-air > jab > d-tilt. Dash-dance for a grab to counter any shield-grabs if you want. Change it up. Offensive wavedashing is something most players don't use, and therefore most won't expect it.

$PITE

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I dash and jump at the opponent, then double jump away from them, and waveland forward with a down-tilt. It's worked like, once lol. The waveland can be switched to backwards if the opponent charges after the jump back.

ju4ndieg0

Smash Rookie
Try Dashdancing then wavedashin back and repeat that lame move to taunt your enemy instead of attack him then grab him or D-tilt after crouch canceling

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Tap up on the D-pad repeatedly.

Insta-death.

[edit- Seriously though, I've been using a lot of wavelanding in my approach with GaW. Boozer too. Wavelanding usually catches them off guard. Sh Waveland > Dthrow > 9 FTW >_> <_<]

Top Bottom