• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner's guide to Fox in brawl. Thank Tangy everyone!

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
Because I haven't got around to changing my thing yet. but even so, i can main more than one character ;).

haha i like to use wolf too, but ok, i was just wondering.

and it may not be "beginner-ish" but if it's possible, could you post some fox combos or advanced techs?

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Okay, no one rip me a new one for this. I'm not calling it a combo or a tech or anything, but it HAS worked for both human players AND lvl 9 cpus. I call it dash-shining, someone has probably already discovered it, and there is something called a jumpshine you can use to perform this quicker. What I do to set it up is, grab, f-throw, dash and shine. For some reason, the shine does stop your momentum. My friend has done the same with Shiek, except he uses her needles. You CAN chain this "thing" for when your opponent hits the ground again, and you CAN lead this into a shine spike if you end up shining your opponent of the stage. The jumpshine is better for this because you don't have to wait for the dash animation to finish, but is a lot harder for me to time.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Thats my move i posted 2 days ago. And yall said it does not work. look on page one multi shine.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
@Lightning93

Dash shine is escapable, mostly due to the fact you can't cancel his long dash animation. Jumpshine if done perfectly isn't (to my knowledge). I still need to play around with people DIing the shine while attempting to go for repeative hits.

@Monkey4x

"multi shine= you keep on shining your oppenent until there off the cliff and shine spike them."

You never elaborated on what you exactly meant. What I thought was you simply trying to dash shine dash shine, and can only assume I'm right about that. It does not work.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Jumpshine if done perfectly isn't (to my knowledge). I still need to play around with people DIing the shine while attempting to go for repeative hits.
Doesn't work for all characters, IIRC. Tested with SDI away on a few characters, and I remember Jiggs being able to get out of it? I'm not at home right now, though, so I can't confirm.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Never think it's dead 'cause we don't post in it, I watch every sub forums in here for all my characters I uses, it's just that I don't see the need of posting to say; ''cool guide''. Just keep updating the first page and I'll keep watching it, that's all people ask for, as far as I know...

Anyway, cool guide. ;)

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I know you guys are just trying to correct anything I may have said wrong so as not to confuse or mislead others, but I am aware dash-shining isn't always possible, I am simply putting it out there as suggestion for Fox players to try. What I suggest doing is using it as a follow up, for example, d-air, shine, dash-shine. Or f-throw, dash-shine. I DO NOT suggest trying to chain it because it is easily escapable from what I've tried. However, I have not perfected the jumpshine, and my movements may have heave either been delayed or not quick enough. (I have used dash-shining in both wi-fi and regular matches.)

Note: The best results I have gotten out of this, f-throw, dash-shine, dash-shine, dash-shine, shine-spike, during a real match against my brother. (He isn't pro or anything, but he is pretty good.)

§witch

Smash Lord
Well, what is your definition of dead then? And Lightning, yeah, it can work, but not like a combo or anything, just something to screw around with, mindgames FTW.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Dair Utilt, Dair Utilt didn't work for me, either they footstool me or they just counter with a faster attack.

Maybe it worked for you 'cause your oppenent didn't know how to DI or was just bad. I tried it many times and it never worked especially versus characters with fast back airs.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
I tried it many many times versus the usual people I play in weeklies/smashfests and it worked 1/100 times. I'll keep practicing it tough if you people says it works.

ryokojr37

Smash Rookie
Can some1 plz post a how to video or just explain how to do the ledge jumped illusion becuase I cannot figure it out!

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Well, I don't have a vid, but I think you do it by hanging on the edge, pressing jump and immediately pressing side-b. Lol I made my sig too! My program came with the printer setup application though lol.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Can some1 plz post a how to video or just explain how to do the ledge jumped illusion becuase I cannot figure it out!
You're on the ledge, press down and jump and Illusion onto the stage. Use it right after you grab the ledge because if not you're giving your opponent time.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
You're on the ledge, press down and jump and Illusion onto the stage. Use it right after you grab the ledge because if not you're giving your opponent time.
You're almost right, except you push away, not down. It's faster, since you don't have to wait as long for the jump to reach the correct height.

No, that's slower. Jump and do side b. Just practice the timimg.
No. If you jump straight from the ledge, you'll go through the entire jump animation before you can move.

Salaad

Smash Ace
You can do it either way, but yeah you can't just jump and Side B. I think that only works with jump->shine

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Really? I've done it before... jumping and side-b that is, but yes, you do have to wait for the jumping animation to do it's thing. But couldn't that be part of the mindgame? Your opponent gets ready for an aerial approach and you just charge up to them? I'm just suggesting things here...

Salaad

Smash Ace
Really? I've done it before... jumping and side-b that is, but yes, you do have to wait for the jumping animation to do it's thing. But couldn't that be part of the mindgame? Your opponent gets ready for an aerial approach and you just charge up to them? I'm just suggesting things here...
Well the whole point of doing the ledge hopped illusion is to get away from the ledge and your opponent so he wouldn't be approaching you and if you use the Jump->illusion you can get hit very easily. But then again I have never tried it and maybe it might work for you.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
erm, i have a combo to add.
i dunno if it's a combo, but it hasn't failed for me yet.
dair, utilt, dair, utilt, repeat untill the opponet is out of dair range, then follow up with uair/fair/nair/bair.
It's not a combo but it's good for punishing people with bad reactions.

Nothing dependable for even the most decent of opponents in general though. Getting another Dair off after an Up tilt should be almost always shielded. Even the transition from the first Dair into any other move can be avoided, but it's harder to avoid that then ever Dairing again.

That being said, the best options are Dair to repeative up tilts or Dair to grab/smash attack.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
njz, you are supposed to hit them with the dair before they land from the utilt.
I know...

The Utilt simply doesn't give off enough stun on the enemy for you to jump up and do a Dair. Utilting again is much faster and therefore more capable of producing consecutive hits.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
It is escapable, trust me, I've tried it and escaped it myself on people who thought it would work. This is why the more experienced Fox players only go for Dair to repetitive Uptilts for the most. I really can't imagine what type of players you tried this on.

Also, when it is dodgeable (which can be at low % but I'm assuming you mean higher) they can still DI far away from you and have enough time to react given the low hitstun Brawl offers. If you chase them, you risk getting hit and punished. If you shield... you shield.

Here's something else that's cool, when you do the first Dair on the opponent, it's actually relatively easy for them to Smash DI out of it before you even finish the move.

This is how our conversation is going:

Me- "You can't do that, here is why...."
You- "Yes, you just need to do it fast enough."
Me- "Nope, because..."
You- "Yes, you just need to do it fast enough."

I'm sorry, but I really hate it when people say that. Given the fact this is Brawl and I was extremely technical in both Smash64 and Smash Melee, I'm pretty **** sure I can Short Hop and Dair quickly after an Uptilt. Try boost smashing 30 times in a row with Sheik, then come see me :p

Who are the people you've played that this "works" on? Also, are you playing people in person or online?

Top Bottom