• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginners Guide to Capturing and Recording Melee Footage.

By the way, I used the technique you had to re-record the Randall Ledge Exploit vid and I had a problem as I was saving the vid as an AVI. When I tried saving the video, it worked, but the short clip was just over 4 GB. Do you think there is something wrong with the compressor, does the problem lie elsewhere, or do you not have enough information? I would've put it on the other thread, but I didn't want to bump a thread a quarter of a year old if it could be avoided.
The initial recording file is encoded with lagarith because it's a lossless compression algorithm. It uses about 1/3 the space that uncompressed files use, but that's still big. It's good for live encoding

Did you render the desired section in Xvid codec? Is profile @ level set to Xvid HD 1080? Is target bitrate set to 20480? This is a lossy codec that'll compress video files to a much smaller size at a small cost of quality

I'll see if I can edit the guide to make anything more clear

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The initial recording file is encoded with lagarith because it's a lossless compression algorithm. It uses about 1/3 the space that uncompressed files use, but that's still big. It's good for live encoding

Did you render the desired section in Xvid codec? Is profile @ level set to Xvid HD 1080? Is target bitrate set to 20480? This is a lossy codec that'll compress video files to a much smaller size at a small cost of quality

I'll see if I can edit the guide to make anything more clear
Ah, I forgot to configure the codec. Thank you!

Sempai

Smash Ace
Been wanting to to record matches for a long while now. So has my buddy.

However, without telling me (or reading the smashboards forums) he ran out and bought a ~$200 Hauppauge HD PVR 2.

As of now, the set up we have:
Wii aux cable that splits into the 5 cables.
which plugs into an adapter cable and then into the A/V slot on the Hauppage.

Then from the Hauppauge we have an HDMI going out.
Which adapts into component back into the TV.

HDMI then goes to my computer to save the match.

Great picture, nice and HD. But heres the problem.

Since the signal goes to the Hauppage and then back to the TV, theres lag. At least a couple of frames.
Id rather not have to get a dazzle and waste this 200 dollar investment.
Is there some sort of splitter cable I could use, or another cable set up of some sort?

Been wanting to to record matches for a long while now. So has my buddy.

However, without telling me (or reading the smashboards forums) he ran out and bought a ~$200 Hauppauge HD PVR 2.

As of now, the set up we have:
Wii aux cable that splits into the 5 cables.
which plugs into an adapter cable and then into the A/V slot on the Hauppage.

Then from the Hauppauge we have an HDMI going out.
Which adapts into component back into the TV.

HDMI then goes to my computer to save the match.

Great picture, nice and HD. But heres the problem.

Since the signal goes to the Hauppage and then back to the TV, theres lag. At least a couple of frames.
Id rather not have to get a dazzle and waste this 200 dollar investment.
Is there some sort of splitter cable I could use, or another cable set up of some sort?
A little confused here. I'm not familiar with happauge (but I know it's been a popular choice in the past) but the product description says 'Includes our no delay pass through, so you can play while you record in HD!'
However, it sounds like you have a CRT tv with component inputs? In either case, if you just run your wii to the tv first and then out to the happauge then everything should be the same. If your tv has component output, then get any male-to-male cable (doesn't matter if it's red-white-yellow or blue-green-red, they're all the same they just color them differently, just make sure the cables aren't mangled basically) and another for the audio (so you should have 5 individual cables total) and use that to connect your tv to your happauge. If your tv does not have component outputs, then try finding a receiver or vcr or something that will accept component but output to some form of video, like coaxial or standard 'rca' (red-white-yellow). You can run the colored cables to your happauge and the coaxial to your tv. Hope that solves things.

Hibernian99

Smash Cadet
I got an elgato hd and I am recording with composite on my crt but I have component, is there anyway to record with component?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I've heard that an RF adapter for the Gamecube gives the best potential for quality streaming, does anyone know this for a fact?

I've heard that an RF adapter for the Gamecube gives the best potential for quality streaming, does anyone know this for a fact?
Coaxial cables are not inherently bad. The only difference between a coaxial cable and an RCA cable is whether the video signal is combined or split with the audio - the actual information being sent is identical.

Sempai

Smash Ace
A little confused here. I'm not familiar with happauge (but I know it's been a popular choice in the past) but the product description says 'Includes our no delay pass through, so you can play while you record in HD!'
However, it sounds like you have a CRT tv with component inputs? In either case, if you just run your wii to the tv first and then out to the happauge then everything should be the same. If your tv has component output, then get any male-to-male cable (doesn't matter if it's red-white-yellow or blue-green-red, they're all the same they just color them differently, just make sure the cables aren't mangled basically) and another for the audio (so you should have 5 individual cables total) and use that to connect your tv to your happauge. If your tv does not have component outputs, then try finding a receiver or vcr or something that will accept component but output to some form of video, like coaxial or standard 'rca' (red-white-yellow). You can run the colored cables to your happauge and the coaxial to your tv. Hope that solves things.
When you say receiver, what exactly are you referring too? Examples?

Was so excited when I found output on the back of my tv. It turned out to be a second input >.> god dammit.

Sempai

Smash Ace
I have these sitting around, would either of these work?

yamaha natural sound av receiver htr-6050
Sony dvp ns315 DVD player

What would the wire set up be?

Last edited:

joebigs

Smash Rookie
NNID
joebigs
Could someone help me with deinterlacing? I have my dazzle set up with OBS and I have deinterlacing set to yadif2x, but there's still some there. Could someone help?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
What types of things could you buy that cause input lag when you are trying to split the connection between the TV and the Dazzle?

Also, WHERE CAN I FIND VIDEO PIGGYBACK CABLES THAT ARENT SUPER PRICEY?

Last edited:

BluJay-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jednie
Hey looking at getting dazzle dvc100 . My pc specs are:
Intel i5 4200U 1.6ghz with 2.6 ghz turbo boost

AMD Radeon R7 M265 2gb ram

10gb DDR3 L Ram

Is this good? Can i support this?

Hey looking at getting dazzle dvc100 . My pc specs are:
Intel i5 4200U 1.6ghz with 2.6 ghz turbo boost

AMD Radeon R7 M265 2gb ram

10gb DDR3 L Ram

Is this good? Can i support this?
As long as you have a dual core processor and at least 2 GB RAM, you'll be fine. Recording from a cheap composite/s-video USB capture card doesn't demand much processing power. I recommend following this guide for recording videos http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...s-in-optimal-quality-60-frames-second.333301/

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Can anyone tell me as to why I'm not getting picture with Dazzle? I've set it up with splitters connected to the TV, cables from the Wii connected to one part of the splitter; showing the game on the screen; and cables from the other part of the splitter connected to the Dazzle which is then obviously connected to the PC. But I'm getting no picture, and I've messed around with settings etc but I just can't get it to work that way.

I can get it to work using another piece of equipment, although I don't know what it's called. I think it's a 3 way splitter, has 3 slots on either side of it for cables which does the same as above just going through this thing instead. I also have to change the video format to SECAM I think (can't remember) and it shows up but not on other video formats such as NTSC or PAL.

Would appreciate any help with this as there isn't much to go on off Google :( Also I've tried using the AV OUT on one of my CRT's and that doesn't actually work as intended either. Perhaps I need to connect splitters into the capture device aswell I'm not sure?

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Where did you buy your dazzle? The inability to capture in NTSC nor PAL and can only capture in SECAM might be because of that reason. Just a theory

What if you tried using VirtualDub to capture it? http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...s-in-optimal-quality-60-frames-second.333301/ I think capture pin or capture filter will allow you to select NTSC or PAL
I got it a long long time ago so I don't really remember, although I've tried the same method with an EZCap and still no capture. I'll check out that link you sent me also.

Also just wondering but what's the purpose of the link if you can change the capture settings on OBS and Xsplit?

Last edited:

Tainted ZGS

Smash Rookie
Okay so I looked a little bit on this thread and didn't really see what I am looking for and I am probably just being stupid.
Brainfart to clarify.

So from what I see this as, is there is only a connection going from ur computer to ur tv. I don't see where the other connection (the actually av for the game) comes in.
Items
Piggyback cable thing
Splitter
Dazzle capture recorder HD

-
So the dazzle plugs into computer. The piggyback cable plugs into that and the splitter. Then you got the normal av cords from console going to tv.

Can someone explain to me what I did wrong? Or give me a what connects to what.

Sorry I'm new to recording from tv in general and am looking to improve our scene with recording. All help is appreciated.

Okay so I looked a little bit on this thread and didn't really see what I am looking for and I am probably just being stupid.
Brainfart to clarify.

So from what I see this as, is there is only a connection going from ur computer to ur tv. I don't see where the other connection (the actually av for the game) comes in.
Items
Piggyback cable thing
Splitter
Dazzle capture recorder HD

-
So the dazzle plugs into computer. The piggyback cable plugs into that and the splitter. Then you got the normal av cords from console going to tv.

Can someone explain to me what I did wrong? Or give me a what connects to what.

Sorry I'm new to recording from tv in general and am looking to improve our scene with recording. All help is appreciated.

joebigs

Smash Rookie
NNID
joebigs
Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my Dazzle to an El Gato Game Capture HD. I know this uses HDMI. I'm going to be using a wii and a crt with the El Gato. I was wondering if someone could tell me/show me how all the cords would be connected. Thanks!

Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my Dazzle to an El Gato Game Capture HD. I know this uses HDMI. I'm going to be using a wii and a crt with the El Gato. I was wondering if someone could tell me/show me how all the cords would be connected. Thanks!
That won't work. Does Elgato sell a composite/s-video connector for the device? Save your money, stick with the Dazzle, and follow this guide http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...s-in-optimal-quality-60-frames-second.333301/

Kadano

Magical Express
What's the best way to obtain a Pinnacle Video Transfer these days? Just online via a ebay/amazon, or do stores still sell them...
I got mine for 60€ in a second-hand store. That was about three years ago, though. Still, I'd say either that way or on Ebay is the most likely one.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I already have myself an HD PVR, from like 5-8 years ago. Since I have a CRT with no chances of using component, I went and bought myself a 4 pack of a 2-female to male RCA Y splitter adapter and a double-sided AV composite cable.

Magus420

Smash Master
If you're looking for a computerless capture option like the Pinnacle Video Transfer, the HD PVR Rocket is a more modern and easy to find option that I've used and works great. Haven't used the PVT so I can't truly say which is better for Melee, but it can output excellent looking 480p60 video from 480i, and I've heard the PVT has audio sync issues on long recordings that I haven't encountered with the Rocket.

You can connect composite to the blue (Pb) plug on the component breakout cable that comes with it, or optionally get a cable with s-video input from the Hauppauge site (there's also a composite breakout cable I believe but it accomplishes the same thing as connecting to the blue component anyway, just more obvious to hook up by connecting yellow->yellow plug rather than yellow->blue). I think there was also another standalone capture device I was looking at that I forget that supposedly works with 480i by similarly connecting composite to the green (Y) component plug, so that's probably another device option besides the PVT and Rocket.

It also needs a USB adapter like a phone charger to plug it into an outlet if you're using a GC, as it's powered by USB cable. With a Wii, I can say that it does work by using the 2nd USB port while USB loading with Nintendont. Dunno about if SD loading, and I don't use DIOS-MIOS as installing it causes crashes when loading some melee stages running on disc despite claims it doesn't mess with disc play on newer versions, and can't use my USB gecko debugger with it either. I doubt you can power it with the Wii's USB while running off disc as iirc the ports don't have power in GC mode.

You'll want to update the firmware and configure the capture settings with the Hauppauge Capture software (they'll save to the device for when recording PC-less), as the default bitrate is way too high for 480 video (default is 20mbps I believe. went with 3mbps iirc for 480p60). Deinterlaces the 480i signal to 480p 60fps by default with updated firmware and looks really nice (the deinterlace interpolation is good. though sometimes on stuff like when you flicker from electric attacks you can notice some interlacing artifacts on the character if you look closely. dunno if it's due to dot crawl from the composite when being deinterlaced that'd be fixed by using s-video, or if it's from the interpolation of the deinterlacing method itself).

If you run into an issue where it just loses the ability to pick up a 480i signal at all like I did when messing with the firmware and software to configure the capture settings, try reinstalling the firmware or to an older version of the firmware to get it working again then update the firmware again. Running Hauppauge Capture software more than once since last installing the firmware seemed to cause that issue (maybe the saved settings get messed up and nonfunctional somehow when loaded by the software the second time), though could just be my really outdated OS not working well with the drivers and software. Was a bit of a hassle to get configured the way I wanted without breaking 480i compatibility, but once done I don't need to bother with it again.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but...maybe EPsilon933 EPsilon933 or Magus420 Magus420 can help?

I have a gopro hero 3+ and my intention is to record the CRTs and monitors i play melee on directly in real world settings without having to set up a capture card on every set up in tournament. When recording like this there tend to be bright glare/brightness coming from the screen that makes it hard to see the images that i'm trying to capture. Example: http://i.imgur.com/f2FIeOW.jpg

Granted the above picture is in somewhat low light and most of my footage would involve better lighting conditions but i'm not confident that will fix much.

How do i prevent this?

Edit: Just found these guys (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1KWQSI/?tag=traiandmoun09-20). Would a polarizer fix my issue?

Thank you for the help!
Nevermind i fixed the issue. :p

I bought a gopro to record tournament footage and it's working out extremely well so far after some tweaking and setting certain options. If you have a gopro, turn on spot meter and you can strap the camera to your chest, shoulder, head, whatever and record your matches beautifully in 1080p. You won't need to carry around capture cards or things that rip directly to a USB. The extra features are very nice, and i have heard you can stream to a computer as well. I've invested ~$300 for a hero3+, and i think it will serve me very well in the future.

Last edited:

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Hey,
I want to start streaming a little on Twitch but don't know if I have all the necessary things.
Here's a list of what I have, is it's possible, please let me know if I can start streaming.
GameCube
CRT with two sets of Red White and Yellow ports
Laptop with 4GB of RAM and a 1.60 GHz Processor (I know the forum said 2.1, but is it possible for me to get away with this?)

That's all. If everthing would work out I would plan on buying this:
Diamond One Touch Capture VC500 [Tested] [Q] [F] $49.99

Is that a good idea, or should I settle for something else?
Thanks!

Thomas Johnson

Smash Cadet
Does anybody have experience with deinterlacing footage? I finally got my Pinnacle Video Transfer to work and the option for best quality automatically interlaces the footage. I've read the first couple pages of this thread, and all the options that have been talked about are with programs I have never heard of and am unfamiliar with.

I've done the simple stuff like using VLC to deinterlace and I've used Adobe Premiere to do it as well, but neither of these options give me the perfect result. For example, when character are dash dancing, grabbing, etc. I can still see the comb effect on them.

Top Bottom