• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginners Guide to Capturing and Recording Melee Footage.

EvoRuin

Smash Rookie
Okay so after looking through the recording threads, I believe I just need to split the two audio cables, as I already have a GC cable with S-video. Epsilon said in his thread that these piggyback cables: http://www.amazon.com/Cblwhl-Female...360604708&sr=8-1&keywords=piggyback+splitters would work for splitting. Sorry I'm kind of repeating myself but it's confusing reading different answers on different threads. So basically what I'm asking is: would an S-video cable plus the RCA piggyback cable be all I need to split the audio and video?

Kadano

Magical Express
Those piggyback cables are male to male+female. So you’d also need female→female adapters so that you can attach them to the male audio plugs of your S-Video cable.
If your S-Video cable also has composite out, you don’t need to split it, yes.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Really glad I found this thread, it's helped me narrow down my decision to either the Hauppauge HD PVR or the Diamond VC500 One Touch. I guess it's just a matter of quality vs budget. Anyone have an opinion?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Really glad I found this thread, it's helped me narrow down my decision to either the Hauppauge HD PVR or the Diamond VC500 One Touch. I guess it's just a matter of quality vs budget. Anyone have an opinion?
My opinion is we need a sequel to The Game Is Not Over.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

My device shows up in Virtual Dub (I went to File -> Capture AVI -> Device), but when I select the device, nothing shows up. The device is listed twice which I'm guessing is because there are two inputs, but no matter which one I try I don't see anything in the preview screen. When I switch to my laptop's webcam, it works fine, so idk what's going on. My device connected to my laptop and installed the driver just fine, and it has a solid green light which signifies the "TV tuner is properly connected to AC power and the notebook". And ofc I have the GCN's composite red, white, and yellow cords plugged into the device. I'm worried it just won't work without Windows Media Center...

This is the device I'm using: "HP Dual TV Tuner/Digital Video Recorder".

Bones0 - Did you check the source input for your device? After selecting device, Video-->Video Source-->[input options]. It may have defaulted to S-video for some reason.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I saw that link, but I figured VirtualDub would work the same. I guess the fact that it has a driver might make the difference so I'll give it another go.
Hm. Well if it turns out to be a driver problem... I mean it seems weird that a piece would require a separate program all by itself to even be accessed, as straightforward as it is... maybe it is just a driver problem, and it'll work fine after you install that? (Could be a 'driver' that takes care of multiple devices too not just particular to that one, I'm sure you've thought.)

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
im thinking about buying a dazzle platinum hd can someone guide me in the right direction on the cables/splitters i need and how many im looking for best quality

mooki

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking to buy a Pinnacle Video Transfer if anyone has one they're trying to sell.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So I have absolutely zero experience with recording setups but I'm very interested in getting one to record some PM. I have a Wii, a CRT, and a laptop that I'm pretty darn sure can handle the process. I'm looking at this recording device: http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Technolo...id=1385066267&sr=8-1&keywords=pinnacle+dazzle which comes with a few other things I'm not sure if I need or not. Is this a good buy, and do I want the "frequently bought together" items?

So I have absolutely zero experience with recording setups but I'm very interested in getting one to record some PM. I have a Wii, a CRT, and a laptop that I'm pretty darn sure can handle the process. I'm looking at this recording device: http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Technology-Dazzle-Recorder-V14-0/dp/B0063B242M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385066267&sr=8-1&keywords=pinnacle dazzle which comes with a few other things I'm not sure if I need or not. Is this a good buy, and do I want the "frequently bought together" items?
People have said that Dazzle is a good cheap model, but there's better higher end stuff, etc... but for standard definition stuff, I still don't quite see how that would be true. The dazzle is cheap, portable, and I've gotten great results, plus it has S-video input.

That recorder is a good deal. You really just want capture card, but the software may be useful if you have nothing else, and you don't want to pay more than $50 for it.

You don't really need the other recommended stuff, unless you want to split the audio properly. If you don't mind just recording and listening to a mono signal, then forget it, otherwise, if you want to properly split the audio, then I'll get to that in a second.

Let me just quickly describe what you're looking for, for a moment:​

The Wii sends out one video, and two audio signals. You need to find a way that the video signal gets to your TV and your capture card, most importantly. And second, you probably want at least some of the audio to go somewhere, either one of signals in both directions, or both signals in both directions.

Setups​

For the video, the easiest and best way on a Wii is to just get a Wii S-video cable somewhere (example). Plug the yellow end into your TV, and the black end (s-video) into your capture card. Video=done, and you get the best quality you can for what you have.

For the audio, you have a couple options. The easiest is to just put the red end into your tv and the white end into your capture capture. It's not stereo, but you get audio, and sound quality isn't highly important in smash anyway. Or, if your tv supports it, you can plug both audio cables into your tv's IN, and use another cable on the audio OUT and hook that to your capture card (use both red+white ends). Pretty much any cable that looks like this will do (but you'd only use two of the cable ends). Other configurations exist, but they either lose video or audio quality due to non-powered splitting (using splitter cables), or you need to have access to the right kind (they usually are) of VCR (which fixes the splitting problem by using its IN and OUTs, and isn't bad at all, but you still need two pairs of the cable I just mentioned, one pair to take the audio to your tv, one pair to take it to your capture card).

So... that takes care of your setup.

For capturing, there's only one thing you really need to do, and that is make sure your video is deinterlaced. Otherwise, as long as the end result is good quality, then the steps leading up to that are arguable. (Just check your video editing or capture program settings, somewhere, look for deinterlace. You don't have to do it at the beginning, you can always do it later.)

Take a look at the pictures here (you can ignore the text) and just see the difference between not deinterlacing, deinterlacing using a "blend" or "bob" function, and then deinterlacing using a better algorithm (Yadif, ELA, edge-directed, cubic, linear, or just "smart"). Interlacing (the 'comb' line look you might see sometimes, happens with any horizontal movement) is going to happen because of the video signal you're capturing, but it's no big deal though, when you properly deal with it. You can even turn your video into 60fps video that way. But you can figure that out later. Just don't use splitter cables without having a 'powered' splitter (the back of the tv, the back of a vcr), and make sure you deinterlace (and hopefully not with "blend").

One last tip: Sometimes audio/video desynchs over time, it's just a common problem. I'd suggest only recording maybe 10 matches or less at a time, and then capturing a new file. I usually do 3-7, plus it makes for good chunks to go through later.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Thanks, that was exactly the response I needed! I really appreciate the detail and comprehensiveness.

I checked the back of the CRT again and found two slots, one red, one white, labelled "To Audio Amp," which I'm assuming is a compatible set of audio out slots, but I think I'll hold off on ordering the related cable until someone else agrees with me. In the meantime, it looks like I'm good to go ahead and order the other equipment. If all goes well I should be able to post some vids before long.

Thanks again!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yo so right now I'm using dazzle with a macbook (waiting for my new school laptop in like 2 months)
I lost the dazzle dvd thing with the program on it, and the program I used to use when I recorded on my mac is terrible and glitchy

so:
what are good free programs I can use to capture video from dazzle on mac?
I don't want to pay for anything, since I'm getting a new laptop in a couple months, but I'd like to be able to record tournament matches in the mean time.

Thanks, that was exactly the response I needed! I really appreciate the detail and comprehensiveness.

I checked the back of the CRT again and found two slots, one red, one white, labelled "To Audio Amp," which I'm assuming is a compatible set of audio out slots, but I think I'll hold off on ordering the related cable until someone else agrees with me. In the meantime, it looks like I'm good to go ahead and order the other equipment. If all goes well I should be able to post some vids before long.

Thanks again!
Sweet.

Don't know if I've seen that labeling before, that's... well, it'll put out sound, for sure. And those kinds of cables are found in pretty much every thrift store's electronic section, they're so common. I mean any cable that shape will work, but.. hopefully you can get the rest working for now. gl

derf.mw i'd like to help you out, but I don't know any mac programs... just google around I guess. i know you can re-download the drivers and such from the pinnacle/dazzle/avid website, for windows drivers... but i couldn't find the mac ones for some reason.

Bu$

HoC
Are there any euro smashers out there that can recommend any capture devices that are PAL60 compatible and record in decent quality for around $100 give or take.
It's going to be my first capture device for recording melee but i don't want to spend heaps. I've been researching for PAL60 compatible ones but most of the ones i find are upward of $200. Any help or tips would be appreciated. ;)

mooki

Smash Apprentice
My Pinnacle Video Transfer has audio desync problems when recording for longer than 2 hours or so. If anyone else has one of these lmk

Kadano

Magical Express
Are there any euro smashers out there that can recommend any capture devices that are PAL60 compatible and record in decent quality for around $100 give or take.
It's going to be my first capture device for recording melee but i don't want to spend heaps. I've been researching for PAL60 compatible ones but most of the ones i find are upward of $200. Any help or tips would be appreciated. ;)
Considering how your post is almost half a year old, I guess you aren’t searching any longer. Have you found a good device? If so, what did you buy?

In case you (or somebody else who reads this) want to know: PAL60 is supported by the “ezcap 116” devices. These are ~20$ and have okay quality. Their frame rate seems to be limited to 30 fps.
There is no really good mid segment recording solution, unfortunately. I would have expected that there was a device for ~60$ that has good composite, component or RGBs(SCART) quality, but there’s no such thing. Some Avermedia products fall into that price range, but I advise everyone to stay away from this company. I bought one product from them (H727) and regret it.

The next best thing to me is the StarTech PEXHDCAP for ~120€, but it’s a really niche solution for Melee recording that requires you to own an old revision Gamecube, a Gamecube VGA cable (~80€), an active VGA splitter (12€) and a VGA monitor (5€, but you probably own one already). So that’s a total cost of 217€. (But you do get the best possible Melee experience with sub-µs lag and 480p60 resolution.)

Even better is the Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI (240€), which is basically an upgrade of the PEXHDCAP. It supports perfect 1080p60 recording, RGB 4:4:4 color space, DVI/HDMI/VGA inputs as well as composite, S-Video and component. It’s widely touted as the best and closest to perfection capture card that’s still in the consumer price range.

My Pinnacle Video Transfer has audio desync problems when recording for longer than 2 hours or so. If anyone else has one of these lmk
Yeah, I have that device as well and I had the same problem. It was easy to solve though, simply tell people to stop and re-start recording after every set.

I haven’t used it in two years or so, since I upgraded to YPbPr and subsequently, RGBHV recording (and I’d never go back).

This has been helpful for me. If not just look further into smashboards. But it is important to find a good sparring partner so you can practice.

http://smashboards.com/threads/kadano’s-perfect-marth-class—advanced-frame-data-application.337035/
I’m always flattered to see that my content has been helpful, but I don’t really see how that is relevant here. Did you by chance mean to post this in a different thread? =)

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
Haha yes thanks for noticing. I will post that again to the correct thread.

But I am interested in trying to record my melee footage and it seems like there is no easy way to do so? How are the games being recorded by Youtube channels such as Clash Tournaments and VG Bootcamp who cover most of the important tournaments? Their footage always looks good.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
But I am interested in trying to record my melee footage and it seems like there is no easy way to do so? How are the games being recorded by Youtube channels such as Clash Tournaments and VG Bootcamp who cover most of the important tournaments? Their footage always looks good.
VGBC|Gimr still uses the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3 as far as I know. Depending on your console, PC and amount of money you are willing to spend, it might be the best solution for you as well.

Last edited:

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I have that device as well and I had the same problem. It was easy to solve though, simply tell people to stop and re-start recording after every set.

I haven’t used it in two years or so, since I upgraded to YPbPr and subsequently, RGBHV recording (and I’d never go back).
Do you mind going into this a bit deeper?

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
VGBC|Gimr still uses the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3 as far as I know. Depending on your console, PC and amount of money you are willing to spend, it might be the best solution for you as well.
Dang that thing is really nice, but I can't afford a $200.00+ investment to record my footage. I was hoping to find something under $100.00 like a capture card.

PAL > NTSC
PAL > NTSC
;)

But yeah about stopping and starting recording, the de-sync issue has been around for a long time and it seems to be different for each capture card - or so I hear. For good practice I always stop and make a new file every several matches or so - not only does it guard against any desyncs (or corrupted files/lost files), but it helps break the matches up into sizeable chunks for later review.

Dang that thing is really nice, but I can't afford a $200.00+ investment to record my footage. I was hoping to find something under $100.00 like a capture card.
I admit to not having invested in capture cards at all since I only ever cared about recording standard-definition smash footage, but the Dazzle DVC 100/101 models (USB 2.0) always worked for me, and you can find them <$50. They record S-video, too.

Kadano is the expert in anything PAL, though, so if you're there then he has posted good setups for that before (I think in his latest thread? Yeah).

mooki

Smash Apprentice
I can't find the Pinnacle Video Transfer anywhere. Did they discontinue it?
I looked over the rules, and it looks like it's ok to say this because it pertains to the topic at hand. If you're looking to buy one I have one to sell.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It's how someone uses software tools to capture videos and renders them. This is what I do http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...-in-pseudo-hd-60-frames-second-easily.333301/
By the way, I used the technique you had to re-record the Randall Ledge Exploit vid and I had a problem as I was saving the vid as an AVI. When I tried saving the video, it worked, but the short clip was just over 4 GB. Do you think there is something wrong with the compressor, does the problem lie elsewhere, or do you not have enough information? I would've put it on the other thread, but I didn't want to bump a thread a quarter of a year old if it could be avoided.

Last edited:
Top Bottom