• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #20: Luigi

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Luigi can't force an approach ever lol. Fire ball is horrible for forcing approaches, I find the most sucess in using it to bait dodges or rolls.
well yea that's what I mean..

Luigi's fireball doesn't force you to appraoch it forces you to REACT. That's when we have to find our way in somehow

TreK

Is "that guy"
Then I duck under it. >_> Assuming that Ike's jab in fact could not jab it out, I'd have to look at the hitbox again.
haha that could have been a great idea indeed, some people do this... but those people can crawl. You can't shield as long as the fireball is over you, because you stand up on frame 1 and get protected on frame 2, aka too late. That fireball stays there for years, so you'd only open yourself for a free tornado. It's the same principle I use to keep MK/Kirby grounded when I want them to be grounded, ie.

If you really wanna avoid a well aimed fireball, just run away or Pshield it. The thing is you obviously can't do this forever.

back on topic, what jband said.

Nothing as dumb as repeatedly walking away could auto beat Luigi, and that's both why and because he's a solid character.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
People forget, Fireball is REALLY good after F-throw.

Not kidding really. F-throw ends really quick, and is good in option limiting recovery.

Against Ike, his Jab technically can't keep you out. Don't run into random F-airs and sliding shield beats it just fine provided you're aiming to buffer a grab to catch his fist (N-air or Jab OOS can work too iirc). And then of course I'll go back to how F-throw-> Fireball is really awesome and underused (especially in matchups like Ike or Donkey Kong). If Ike happens to Jab the back end of your shield, a buffered U-smash out of shield punishes it keep in mind.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Pierce, I find it amusing that you find Luigi hard to use. I personally don't see him as hard to use, although it's probably because some of his mechanics are similar to Mario's, but I treat Luigi as the more offensive Mario Bro, and Mario as the more defensive one.
The irony is that in the Mario RPG games he's defensive and Mario's offensive.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
For luigi it is important to know hitboxes of characters, to know how to space them, how to punish them and how to predict them during the match.

brawl basics are simple, the player who think further than the other one will win to 90 %.
for luigi you must be creative, and don't using the same moves again again and again to approach.
Luigi offstage? Against characters which are good in gimping, luigi has many problems.

Top Bottom