• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bayonetta Technique Compendium and Q&A

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I've been hearing BA cancels around the internet lately, I know you can cancel neutral B with shield but wondering if you can cancel the bullets that are cast when holding onto a button?

DC

Smash Cadet
So FYI:
Witch Time does indeed work on projectiles BUT your opponent must be close enough to the purple aura of Witch Time to get slowed down

You can ONLY catch the "owner" of the projectile with Witch Time when it activates so it will never catch any other opponents even if she does the animation

Luma will activate Witch Time but only if Rosalina is close enough to the aura (which honestly most of the time she's not)

Rosalina probably gonna be a terrible matchup lol

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Bayonetta's Down Smash's Bullet Arts shoot out her heels, but if you're hanging off the edge of a platform, and a character is standing right below her heel, it doesn't actually do anything.
Instead, it creates a really small hitbox right behind/in front of her.
I feel like it could be used to catch characters who are trying to roll behind Bayonetta, but I had a hard time getting it to hit.

Also, holding A during Bayo's rapid jab increases the damage due to Bullet Arts, but the bullets don't actually shoot forward. It's just the attack itself that gets more powerful.

Anyone know if there's a reliable way to get both of up-tilt's hits to connect with each other?

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
So FYI:
Rosalina probably gonna be a terrible matchup lol
I actually think of the top tiers Rosa is the best matchup. Pikachu is small and falls out of combos really easily, plus he's fast... Zero Suit and Shiek are so fast that Bayo literally has no option against them if they keep up pressure properly, especially since Bayo's neutral game is completely underdevelopped. You literally just have to wait for them to slip up a bit and get some damage in.

Rosaluma, however, is so big and floaty you can pull off every combo really well, even extend some. All of our hits usually hit luma, which allows us more aerial options (and hurts luma) even if we missed rosa. Our B even hits Rosa by passing right above luma. its great.

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of neutral.. Does anyone know how we should be going about Bayo's neutral game? Spacing fairs is proving incredibly difficult, dtilts are ok but shield-drop-dtilt is still a little slow, and throwing out side-B's is pretty unsafe.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Speaking of neutral.. Does anyone know how we should be going about Bayo's neutral game? Spacing fairs is proving incredibly difficult, dtilts are ok but shield-drop-dtilt is still a little slow, and throwing out side-B's is pretty unsafe.
I've been encouraging approaches with B, Nair bullet art and Dtilt bullet art, spacing with bair, and looking for chances to start combos with Dtilt, Fair, and Up B OoS.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I am gonna put this here incase of confusion.

if you tap B only during Witch Twist, the IASA on Witch Twist will be at its highest peak
but if you hold B during Witch Twist, you will use her Bullet Art the same time, dealing more damage but the IASA will be lower (you will sink a bit before able to do anything)

TabB Witch Twist true combos to Witch Twist at best possible IASA while HoldB Witch Twist never does

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
And what are her best options in the neutral?

Nair is her most powerful neutral spacing tool hands down. You mix it in with bair, but nair has good frame data, and the momentum control you have with a full hop nair while holding down A for bullet arts is incredible. You can full hop towards your opponent and hold A, and then DI away from your opponent. The backwards momentum that you gain is incredible, and the fact that nair hits continuously around her means that your opponent will get hit if they try to approach you on landing. Moving backwards allows you to out-space the shield grab and you can immediately follow up with dtilt or whatever. You have so much aerial maneuverability with nair and you can mix in short hop version too in order to keep your opponent on their toes. Plus the bullet arts from nair will tack on damage while keeping you pretty much completely protected.

Also Bullet Climax. I keep hearing that this is not a good projectile but I gotta be honest it seems pretty powerful. It eats almost every other projectile that collides with at full charge, plus you can keep firing after that. Not to mention you can cancel it. In neutral I've been mixing in bullet climax after nair and either canceling the charge if I need to or just letting it rip to make my opponent respect the option. I'll even throw in some neutral a bullet arts on nair landing to add even more mix up. I've noticed that bullet arts on neutral A is the perfect bait when not held down too long. The recovery is there, but at max range you have enough time to put the guns away and react OR throw out the next move in the string to catch an opponent rushing in. Even at midrange, if you throw out neutral A bullet arts your opponent is going to try to run in on you. Throwing out the next hit in the string is better than trying to stop attacking altogether and it works really well as a bait against ground approaches. Note how much damage BA does to shield.

These are all things that I've performed against some pretty good shiek and zss players too, and the nair/bullet climax mindgames have proved to be very awesome against those character

Last edited:

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
I am gonna put this here incase of confusion.

if you tap B only during Witch Twist, the IASA on Witch Twist will be at its highest peak
but if you hold B during Witch Twist, you will use her Bullet Art the same time, dealing more damage but the IASA will be lower (you will sink a bit before able to do anything)

TabB Witch Twist true combos to Witch Twist at best possible IASA while HoldB Witch Twist never does
This is actually really important. Most combos can't be used without this in mind. Thank you.

DesConsTraquentT

Smash Rookie
This morning I tried to find some viable option selects for bayonetta, but the best one I found is d-tilt/shield grab OS

- d-tilt goes fast enough and can lead to high damage combos, and kill combos
- d-tilt can link to up air on really high % (so it'll kill)

That's why i say it's the best one I found. Anyone got better ideas ?

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
F-tilt into F-air at lower % is what I like to do.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I do a mid-combo Option Select.
At high-ish percentages (about 80-90), when I connect Witch Twist and the opponent is launched in front but apparently too far, I do the Afterburner Kick, right before it ends I input a Reverse Afterburner Kick, and then a Fair.
So the OS is:
-If the opponent was close enough, the first Kick will lead to the second one and its followup/ combo finisher.
-If the opponent was too far, the first Kick won't connect and so the second one won't come out, landing the Fair instead.
:196:

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
After experimenting, I've found basically a replica of Sheik's reverse needle cancelling.

Although the momentum is not apparent like with Sheik's tech, this will allow you to turn Bayonetta around in shield out of a run much faster than the turn around animation.

This seems a little useful, though I'm not sure if just stop -> turn around -> shield is better.

The input for this tech is really strict I might add.

Run -> Reverse Bullet Climax (tap backwards on the control stick but hold B) -> Shield

If you mess up you'll Heel Slide, roll or Bullet Climax in place. I cannot do it consistently yet though I have pulled it off.

EDIT: I realise that this is a universal mechanic, I feel that this post is useful for outlining how difficult this is to do on Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Perhaps I'm having trouble due to my stick though I'm finding this prety difficult.
Wave specials are by no means an easy tech. At the least they are classified as moderate difficulty. Thanks for bringing this to mind! I will add it to the tech section of the meta thread.

Don't worry if you can't do this tech. Anyone who was doing this within seconds of getting Bayonetta would of had a character with the same tech. It is not a bad mark to be unable to do this tech. In fact, ZeRo chooses to not use this tech as getting it 100% of the time in a highly stressful match for small reward isn't on his agenda. This is the same reason he doesn't take advantage of technical PPs. As Void often messes up after a TON of practice.

Parisienne

Umbran Witch
My point at hand is that this isn't really a BRAND NEW AT like you felt a need to make a whole thread dedicated to. The character is new, and complex so it's best to clear out the clutter so people wanting to learn are getting the information they need, and not satire.

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
I held no protest to having my thread merged and there was an explanation posted alongside it, I didn't need anything else. Your post has just come off as snarky for no reason.

EDIT: Speaking of which if you want people to get the information they need then your remark only serves to clutter this thread.

Last edited:

Parisienne

Umbran Witch
If there wasn't a reason, I would not have given one within my post. There's no point bickering over it, this isn't the place for it. Stop ****posting, and I will too.

Sonicninja115

My point at hand is that this isn't really a BRAND NEW AT like you felt a need to make a whole thread dedicated to. The character is new, and complex so it's best to clear out the clutter so people wanting to learn are getting the information they need, and not satire.
This person has less posts then you... Can you really expect them to have a firm grasp of the rules and all AT's? If someone has less then 100 posts it is best to write it off as a beginner mistake. No need to haze them for a dumb reason.

Also, wave specialing isn't a universal tech. It can only be used by certain characters, and is useless by most. Some people might want to learn about it.

P.S. Your first post was a ****post....

Last edited:

Parisienne

Umbran Witch
User was warned for this post
You're absolutely correct. It is pretty dumb to want to prevent the spreading of poorly explained information or misinformation about a new, interesting and complicated character a lot of people want to learn about.

Stahp ****posting. That's not what we're to do right now.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I've got a few noob questions to ask because I keep dying in stupid ways due to not knowing how her attacks work.
  • How does side-B and up-B get able to be reused? Just double-jumping? (I did see the Witch Twist jump-cancel thing where you can double-jump twice.)
  • Will aerial side-B bounce off underside ledges like the angled ones on Battlefield? Anyone know how it goes on Lylat if you undershoot the ledge? (Bounce / slide up / slide down)? I might take a look at this once I get the chance.
  • How does Bat Within factor into her moves? I've seen it sometimes happen with down-B, but then also when I've gone to roll. I thought it might have been an animation for being hit while "rolling", but maybe it's a Perfect Shield thing, but I'm honestly not sure. EDIT: Okay, so late Witch Time becomes Bat Within and reduces damage. Do you take damage if you get it off a late roll or spot-dodge?
I don't need to ask about the downwards side-B or cancelling dair, because I read the thread and enough people have already asked. :)

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Am in understanding up B correctly?:
You can straight up b > jump > straight up b.
And one of those up b's can be followed up by an angle up b by pressing up B (or just b?) again and inputting the direction of choice.

Sonicninja115

I've got a few noob questions to ask because I keep dying in stupid ways due to not knowing how her attacks work.
  • How does side-B and up-B get able to be reused? Just double-jumping? (I did see the Witch Twist jump-cancel thing where you can double-jump twice.)
  • Will aerial side-B bounce off underside ledges like the angled ones on Battlefield? Anyone know how it goes on Lylat if you undershoot the ledge? (Bounce / slide up / slide down)? I might take a look at this once I get the chance.
  • How does Bat Within factor into her moves? I've seen it sometimes happen with down-B, but then also when I've gone to roll. I thought it might have been an animation for being hit while "rolling", but maybe it's a Perfect Shield thing, but I'm honestly not sure. EDIT: Okay, so late Witch Time becomes Bat Within and reduces damage. Do you take damage if you get it off a late roll or spot-dodge?
I don't need to ask about the downwards side-B or cancelling dair, because I read the thread and enough people have already asked. :)
1. For WT to be used twice, you have to Double Jump. Hence the DJCWT(Double Jump Cancelled Witch Twist.) This tech allows you to jump after a second Up B by cancelling the DJ with WT. So, Up B-Jump-Up B. you have to jump between the up b's. ABK gets reset by hitting an opponent with the first one. But can only be used twice in total.
2. Should happen. Don't really know...
3. Bat within activates frame 1 of spotdodge, and in the vulnerability frames of roll and airdodge. However, I don't know if it is frame 1 for those. I heard someone say that it is definitely not frame 1 for the roll. Yes off of a late roll, unsure about spotdodge.

Steveice

Smash Rookie
NNID
dav.aro
3DS FC
4914-3714-5073
I found a weird technique with Bayonetta's dair in a platform. Stay on the platform then try to fall from the platform by pressing dair (but the press buttons REALLY FAST). If done correctly, Bayonetta will slam the platform, you will be incorrect if you Dsmash or dair but you fall.

Sonicninja115

I found a weird technique with Bayonetta's dair in a platform. Stay on the platform then try to fall from the platform by pressing dair (but the press buttons REALLY FAST). If done correctly, Bayonetta will slam the platform, you will be incorrect if you Dsmash or dair but you fall.
This is a global technique. What happens is that you fall through the platform, but then the hitbox is moved above the platform by the Dair animation. Very useful though. Another thing to do is SH out of Shield into a Dair for a safe punish.

RandomGuySheep

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but i couldn't fine the answer. :/

I understand that UpB>UpB can link only if you quickly tap the buttons (Since holding it doesn't allow it to link and it only works at lower %'s), but i can't seem to get them to connect. I get both UpB's and sometimes they connect but most of the time they pop out. Is the timing really strict or am i missing something?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but i couldn't fine the answer. :/

I understand that UpB>UpB can link only if you quickly tap the buttons (Since holding it doesn't allow it to link and it only works at lower %'s), but i can't seem to get them to connect. I get both UpB's and sometimes they connect but most of the time they pop out. Is the timing really strict or am i missing something?
This is something I want to expand on, maybe I'm just really tired but sometimes in training and in matches I cant even get the first side B to connect after a witch twist even at low % (they are able to airdodge out of it or sometimes the angle to follow up a side b is just wrong). And as far as I was aware it was just a matter of inputting the inputs as soon as possible or is this actually a tight link ala sf4 where its not about mashing it but being really strict with the timing

Last edited:

RandomGuySheep

Smash Cadet
This is something I want to expand on, maybe I'm just really tired but sometimes in training and in matches I cant even get the first side B to connect after a witch twist even at low % (they are able to airdodge out of it or sometimes the angle to follow up a side b is just wrong). And as far as I was aware it was just a matter of inputting the inputs as soon as possible or is this actually a tight link ala sf4 where its not about mashing it but being really strict with the timing

I wait for them to pop out of witch twist and then quickly side B. Also, you're not holding Up B, right?

RandomGuySheep

Smash Cadet
I think i've figured it out... at the apex of your first Up B it shines bright blue/red then you quickly Up B again. If i'm wrong or if there 's another way let us know!

**Edit: I forgot to mention there's a quick hop in between the Up B's. Also to connect them at higher %'s you quickly jump to the enemy and Up B.

Last edited:

RandomGuySheep

Smash Cadet
I think i've figured it out... at the apex of your first Up B it shines bright blue/red then you quickly Up B again. If i'm wrong or if there 's another way let us know!

**Edit: I forgot to mention there's a quick hop in between the Up B's. Also to connect them at higher %'s you quickly jump to the enemy and Up B.
***Edit 2?: I was using tap jump and realized it's waaayyy easier to simply use X or Y to quickly jump in between UpB's. Derp :facepalm:

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
UpB to UpB connects only at low%, I was able to connect it against a sheik at 25% DIing away. I think it's the best low% combo, because the second upB can be followed by nair/fair, while the only move that links from the first upB is the ABK, and at low% after an ABK they can usually dodge

Sonicninja115

UpB to UpB connects only at low%, I was able to connect it against a sheik at 25% DIing away. I think it's the best low% combo, because the second upB can be followed by nair/fair, while the only move that links from the first upB is the ABK, and at low% after an ABK they can usually dodge
Sort of. To get the second Up B or Uair after Up B, you have to hit with a certain hitbox. There is a part of witch twist, that if you catch them in it, they won't be sent to the ABK distance.

Top Bottom