• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bayonetta Technique Compendium and Q&A

DC

Smash Cadet
That's not true tho, if you throw a projectile at the counter and you are close enough you get slowed down.

Tested this with Link last night and that's why it works on Megaman's fsmash in the trailer.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
No, WT doesn't work like that.

It slows down the thing that "hit" her and nothing else. If it's a projectile, it doesn't to anything but briefly stall it. It will only activate properly when a hitbox that's connected to a character hits it.
I guess Rosalina & Luma will be a pain for her to deal with, then.

And speaking of Rosalina, I assume she can GP Bullet Climax, but what about Bullet Arts?

Lastly, what's the frame data for Witch Time, and how does Bat Within factor into it?

Deaga

Smash Cadet
It appears that her smashes will clank with aerials and then do nothing. Pretty similar to Olimar's Pikmin on his aerials. I also happened to Witch Time a Yoshi's Dair, which then obviously didn't hit me at all... but clanked with my Up Smash, thus making Yoshi get no damage and not be launched. This is something to watch out for.

I wonder if people can avoid being spiked by Down Smash by putting up a hitbox too?

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
I really think bayo's dair is one of the few "straight down" dairs that actually could have a lot of use, partly because you can combo into it from fair strings off-stage, and also because on stage it can kill ridiculously early too (even though its a bit less reliably or safe on stage).

My question is when is the downward motion cancellable/ when can you act out of it? Sometimes i can side B out of it, sometimes that doesn't seem to work.. and there even seem to be times when I can't properly jump out of it as soon as i feel like I should..

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
The move has a certain distance it has to travel before you can jump/witchtwist out of it. I have found that it can be an effective edge guard tool to run off and d-air followed by witchtwist to jump to witch twist again.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Interesting, it's spike feels inconsistent to me. I have a combo theory that would be confirmed by a Twist that goes WT > ABK > double jump dair spike > witch twist > ABK > Bair.

It's only theory for now, this'll be handy to know more about because I know the non spike version kills people at like 120%

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
They can, I was fighting a fox that Naired back on to stage, I witch timed him and had him in perfect Dsmash spike position but it just clanked and then he illusioned me :(

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Her smashes have item priority, which why they clank.

A friend of mine had the idea that they did that because if the move was considered a non-item, the limbs would suddenly disappear at the faf if another action was performed. They circumvented that by doing what they did. Honestly, I don't mind it because it looks really good when the hair unravels and the limbs go away. I support their choice tbh.

And you can try to throw out a smash again if it clanks during witch time.

Last edited:

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
Well, that's pretty lame. Her smashes are already quite slow and in addition they clank with aerials? Evidently you will need to think a bit when choosing WT punishes

XFaZeLiNkX

Smash Rookie
Can anyone test this? If you hit Bayo with a projectile during Witch Time she does the animation but if you're not close enough it doesn't catch you/slow you down. Can it catch other opponents?

Aka can you have your doubles partner throw a projectile at your while you're near opponents and catch them with Witch Time?
It worked on Ness when he pk fired me without actually attacking me and he got caught in witch time too

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Placeholder title with placeholder text, I just want to get rid of so many individual threads by having the whole info in the same place.

Accepting suggestions.

:196:
I run the metagame thread for the Mewtwo boards, as well as stage discussion. I also have made a Mewtwo guide, which is extremely in depth and am working on one for Diddy. Would you allow me to start up a metagame discussion? Rules being talk about tech, new findings, theories and stuff? I would be perfectly willing and would be on enough to properly run it.

Plus, I am a labber, and love finding stuff and working things out. Bayonetta has the complexity that I like, so I highly doubt I will eventually not like her.

Do you want me to do this?

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
something I've noticed is that a simple hit like (for example down tilt) can open them up to the smashes during witch time, so I usually go in for something like a fair, or down tilt and then I follow it up with a smash attack. It's been successful so far at avoiding that clanking problem.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Yea ive noticed that if you are positioned a certain way when wt triggers it is sometimes better to set up with other moves before the smash. I like ftilt so far but its totally situational.

holymario

Smash Apprentice
One reliable thing with witch time I found is when the enemy is at the edge of the stage (but not off stage), you can just jab to get him in the air and slowly push him, while he is in the air, over the edge and then down smash.

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
Just to add to this, they clang with other attacks as well. I've had it clang against Dorf's first hit of dsmash when I got WT'd, and it clangs with Falcon Kick. It's really kinda... Ehh.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I run the metagame thread for the Mewtwo boards, as well as stage discussion. I also have made a Mewtwo guide, which is extremely in depth and am working on one for Diddy. Would you allow me to start up a metagame discussion? Rules being talk about tech, new findings, theories and stuff? I would be perfectly willing and would be on enough to properly run it.

Plus, I am a labber, and love finding stuff and working things out. Bayonetta has the complexity that I like, so I highly doubt I will eventually not like her.

Do you want me to do this?
I rather keep it all in this place, but I can't change the posts' order, so I submitted a petition to make me the owner of the thread and eventually will make the OP to link to important posts.
But any metagame discussion would be appreciated ♥

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I rather keep it all in this place, but I can't change the posts' order, so I submitted a petition to make me the owner of the thread and eventually will make the OP to link to important posts.
But any metagame discussion would be appreciated ♥
I asked the board mod so I will see how that goes.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Its worth nothing that MOST if not all of the low percent kill combos use fair 1 at least twice because it has the property of popping bayonetta and her opponent up a little. The one I like the most is dtilt > fair 1 > upb > down angled AB kick > jump > down angled AB kick > fair 1 > upb. You can also get it with a normal AB kick on the first one, but the hadouken varient works better because it puts Bayo at a better position for the last fair 1.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Trying to find a good place to ask this.

How do you tell which way the opponent will be knocked out of the Up B? My ABK/UpB combos are extremely inconsistent because I have to react to their direction.

Also is there a way to cancel Up B or ABK before it ends? Every combo I see seems too flow perfectly where as I have some lag afterwards.

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
Trying to find a good place to ask this.

How do you tell which way the opponent will be knocked out of the Up B? My ABK/UpB combos are extremely inconsistent because I have to react to their direction.

Also is there a way to cancel Up B or ABK before it ends? Every combo I see seems too flow perfectly where as I have some lag afterwards.
Up B will always send them in the direction she is facing when it's used.

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
Please anyone explain how to do the 0 to search combo on rush hour smash and they were to low under me for witch also help with those type of combos in general thanks in advance

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
No, WT doesn't work like that.

It slows down the thing that "hit" her and nothing else. If it's a projectile, it doesn't to anything but briefly stall it. It will only activate properly when a hitbox that's connected to a character hits it.
I ment Twist

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
That's not true tho, if you throw a projectile at the counter and you are close enough you get slowed down.

Tested this with Link last night and that's why it works on Megaman's fsmash in the trailer.
Well I'll be darned.

I should test before opening my mouth.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Any tips? My friend plays Ness for example, I can't manage to approach small characters without getting punished as hell :p
Off the bat I'd say small characters like ness, kirby and pikachu will take some creative work to beat as bayonetta's standards and ftilts go right over them. Spacing with bullet arts and dtilt may help.

I've been getting better at chaining combos out of dtilt and dthrow:
Dthrow - ftilt1,2,3 - fair1,2 - side b - reverse side b - up b - chase with dair hold or uair hold
Dtilt - fair1,2 - fair strings, b strings, all kinds of different stuff.

Such a fun take. I really appreciate Sakurai. Just hope Bay has enough flaws that he doesn't change anything...

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
How should one DI bayonetta's air upB combos as to not get killed off the top? Since I use DK I assume he's too big to DI out and not get hit, but there has to be some way to survive (level 9 cpu bayonetta killed me off the top around 60% many times)

Top Bottom