• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta Combo & Followup Thread! [WIP]

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
How do you connect two Up Bs with Bayonetta? I saw a lot of people doing it but I can't seem to do it myself (at least not consistently), the jump animation is too long and it messes up the combo, so I was wondering if there was a trick to it.
You have to be fast, spend some time in training mode and you'll see that's only muscle memory

The Bair-ABK is the combo I wanted to showcase, the Uair was there as a set-up. Utilt-Bair-ABK probably works as well as just Bair-ABK. DI shouldn't affect it horrendously, but DI away at higher percents definitely negates it.
About bair-abk, I was thinking about doing a ledgetrump-bair-abk-upb(toward the blastzone) and the second abk to return on stage.
If you manage to send your opponent offstage at something like 25%, this will probably kill because the upb will be very close to the side blastzone. The negative side is that if, after the bair, you miss the abk, you won't have the second abk and you'll die, but I think there's time to react, I mean if you see that the first abk won't connect you can just come back on stage and not SD

Last edited:

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
How do I combo fair1 into witch twist? After hitting fair1 my opponent always seems too far away for upb to connect, at the percents where it should work.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
You have to be fast, spend some time in training mode and you'll see that's only muscle memory

About bair-abk, I was thinking about doing a ledgetrump-bair-abk-upb(toward the blastzone) and the second abk to return on stage.
If you manage to send your opponent offstage at something like 25%, this will probably kill because the upb will be very close to the side blastzone. The negative side is that if, after the bair, you miss the abk, you won't have the second abk and you'll die, but I think there's time to react, I mean if you see that the first abk won't connect you can just come back on stage and not SD
Ledge-trump-ABK trues, so that solves that problem.
How do I combo fair1 into witch twist? After hitting fair1 my opponent always seems too far away for upb to connect, at the percents where it should work.
Fair 1 is negated by DI'ing away. Unless you are really close at low percents probably, that is conjecture though.

Megamang

Smash Lord
What about bair -> abk -> abk -> bair? You'll hit with bair close to the blastzone, then simply drift back to the stage. In my mind it seems like bair will kill before upb near the blastzone will (up b has high KBG but really low damage on the launching hit so it adds to less)

Sonicninja115

What about bair -> abk -> abk -> bair? You'll hit with bair close to the blastzone, then simply drift back to the stage. In my mind it seems like bair will kill before upb near the blastzone will (up b has high KBG but really low damage on the launching hit so it adds to less)
You could also do Reverse Twist-ABK-Bair in order to negate Upwards DI more. It might backfire easily though.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
to those who have some hard time do to WT to WT as a combo when they are DI away, you can do this instead:

WT -> DJ Fair1 -> (Fair2 but its more risky and not true) -> WT.

here is my "BnB" combos depending on the DI:

"Bad DI"
dABK -> dABK -> WT -> DJ WT -> UAir/FAir123

"Good DI"
dABK -> dABK -> FAir1 -> WT -> DJ FAir1 -> (FAir2 if it needs ->) WT -> UAir/FAirs

its good to mention is that when they do Bad DI and you use a FAir, the chances are that they can escape by the FAir strong hitbox, its the "weak" hitbox you want

EDIT: there is also an mixup combo/string I love doing on Fastfaller at early %

Heel Slide + Kick on punish -> WT -> ABK -> dABK -> DJ WT -> FAir 123
it is possible that they can escape between ABK and dABK if you do UpB and ABK too fast so that part is the timing.
they can also DI on DJ WT and its also possible they doesnt get launched to high for DJ WT to connect, if thats the case just do FAirs or FAir1 -> DJ WT if brave enough

Last edited:

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
So here's the one I've been using recently, it can kill off the top and works from about 70%-90%, after that they get launched too far.

Heel Slide (w or w/o the kick) --> WT (hold) --> ABK --> WT (you can chase their DI if you're quick) --> ABK --> uair/bair (uair for kills, bair for damage).

I'm sure it's not optimal, but it's real fun to get some kills off the top with it, since I can't make things like "dABK-dABk-WT" work.

Sonicninja115

So here's the one I've been using recently, it can kill off the top and works from about 70%-90%, after that they get launched too far.

Heel Slide (w or w/o the kick) --> WT (hold) --> ABK --> WT (you can chase their DI if you're quick) --> ABK --> uair/bair (uair for kills, bair for damage).

I'm sure it's not optimal, but it's real fun to get some kills off the top with it, since I can't make things like "dABK-dABk-WT" work.
I did the same thing yesterday, except I used rising Bair to start the combo.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
I did the same thing yesterday, except I used rising Bair to start the combo.
Yeah, it works off of a lot of things, it's really the first WT that's important to start it.

Also, I'm dumb. You can extend what percents it works to (about 120% for most it seems) by just making the first WT short, although it's a bit finnicky, so make sure that the first WT also doesn't start too far under them or your first ABK might also miss due to them being too high. Other than that, it actually makes this combo viable to kill, and I probably get just as many kills with this or the like as with Witch Time reads (which are painfully easy for characters with STF dairs).

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

this is one of my BnB kill combos at 60~% but I dont start it with an Heel Slide, I start it with an DTilt and Jump + WT to get higher up for the kill

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Hey, I found that Twist>ABK>ABK>Twist trues at 80%ish. Just saying that this is the best higher percent combo probably, besides a dABK into stuff.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
this is one of my BnB kill combos at 60~% but I dont start it with an Heel Slide, I start it with an DTilt and Jump + WT to get higher up for the kill
Well yeah, Bayo is so versatile that you can start combos from almost anywhere, but the first WT is important to to do the rest.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Well, I got rolled by a CPU Bayonetta. If a CPU can do this combo, you can too.

Witch Time -> Up Smash -> Down Smash -> Down Tilt -> First hit of Fair -> After Burner Kick -> Witch twist -> After Burner Kick -> Junp instant witch twist (so you keep your double jump) -> Jumping Up Air

I was at 13 percent when the combo started on the bottom of battlefield. 1 Witch time was all it took. You have to be almost frame perfect to escape after the down smash but before the down tilt.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Random, probably-possible-to-DI combo I made up in training mode. Carries Sheik and Ike off the top at ~50%, works at ~30% for large floaties like Rosalina, needs to be modified for small floaties like Jigglypuff.

dtilt > full hop fair 1 > Witch Twist > dj fair 1 > Afterburner Kick > reverse downward Afterburner Kick > fair 1 > Witch Twist

For Jigglypuff, I had better luck doing a regular Afterburner Kick instead of a downward one, basic zigzag pattern. Rosalina also tended to pop too high for the downwards Afterburner Kick sometimes but she's huge so I could make it work.

Fair 1 2 3 can be tacked on at the end if you're too low for a ceiling carry.

To reiterate, probably susceptible to DI because of all the fairs in there. I was just messing around and trying to see how high I could make Bayonetta go from a dtilt starter.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Random, probably-possible-to-DI combo I made up in training mode. Carries Sheik and Ike off the top at ~50%, works at ~30% for large floaties like Rosalina, needs to be modified for small floaties like Jigglypuff.

dtilt > full hop fair 1 > Witch Twist > dj fair 1 > Afterburner Kick > reverse downward Afterburner Kick > fair 1 > Witch Twist

For Jigglypuff, I had better luck doing a regular Afterburner Kick instead of a downward one, basic zigzag pattern. Rosalina also tended to pop too high for the downwards Afterburner Kick sometimes but she's huge so I could make it work.

Fair 1 2 3 can be tacked on at the end if you're too low for a ceiling carry.

To reiterate, probably susceptible to DI because of all the fairs in there. I was just messing around and trying to see how high I could make Bayonetta go from a dtilt starter.
I think Fair always has a follow-up, regardless of DI, because of both Twist and ABK truing out of it. Otherwise, a very good combo. Also, Dtilt-Fair-Twist can be made un-di'able by hitting with the top hitbox of Fair, this will send them in front of you, but way to close for a whiff.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I think Fair always has a follow-up, regardless of DI, because of both Twist and ABK truing out of it. Otherwise, a very good combo. Also, Dtilt-Fair-Twist can be made un-di'able by hitting with the top hitbox of Fair, this will send them in front of you, but way to close for a whiff.
I'm looking forward to hitbox visualizations for Bayonetta. It seems there's a lot of variation in where opponents can end up after her moves and since I only have CPU dummies for practice it's hard to tell if it's hitboxes, timing, or DI that's causing it all.

Sonicninja115

I'm looking forward to hitbox visualizations for Bayonetta. It seems there's a lot of variation in where opponents can end up after her moves and since I only have CPU dummies for practice it's hard to tell if it's hitboxes, timing, or DI that's causing it all.
The main thing I have noticed is the five areas of Twist. Fringe Back, (Great for comboing into Fair1-Twist) Standard, (Great for the usual combos) Fringe Front, (Great for Twist-ABK-Twist at lower %) and Tip, which I haven't labbed. Also, Heel slide got hit really hard...

bumblesocks

Smash Rookie
This might not be important to know, but if you use your neutral B anytime during the air (and start shooting) you will have no landing lag.

bumblesocks

Smash Rookie
Against Captain Falcon at 0% you can hit with up-air into an aerial footstool, don't know if it can be followed up though. Also, you can Up-air into 2 Up-tilts into fair 1 into ABK into DABK into Up-B into Fair 1 into Up-B

Sonicninja115

This might not be important to know, but if you use your neutral B anytime during the air (and start shooting) you will have no landing lag.
This has been known, but is rather obscure. You also HAVE to launch it as soon as you land. They probably did that to avoid the possibility of cancelling it with shield.
Against Captain Falcon at 0% you can hit with up-air into an aerial footstool, don't know if it can be followed up though. Also, you can Up-air into 2 Up-tilts into fair 1 into ABK into DABK into Up-B into Fair 1 into Up-B
Interesting on the footstool. Maybe a Dair?

Uair has some crazy combos, but they are pretty hard to do mid-match. Mewtwo has crazy ones, but even with his gigantic, +1 Uair, it still isn't that safe.

bumblesocks

Smash Rookie
+ Quote Just tested it, Dair can followup, also the neutral B doesn't have to be while you touch the ground, you can do it at the top and land with no lag

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
Just tested this in training and then in a friend and it connected. Works at low percentage and can be DI'd if they DI away but it can steal a stock

DABK->DABK->fair1->Dair. Also pretty fun

Sonicninja115

Just tested this in training and then in a friend and it connected. Works at low percentage and can be DI'd if they DI away but it can steal a stock

DABK->DABK->fair1->Dair. Also pretty fun
DABK-Dair also works, and cannot be DI'ed easily or at all.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
This combo mostly didn't KO, sometimes it did, and in those scenarios I didn't end up needing to fair, because up-b had already killed. It seems that this combo is true only on Fox, and a string on characters that fall slower.

D-tilt->U-tilt->U-tilt->U-tilt->Nair->Fair(first hit only)->Side B->Side B(aimed downwards toward opponent)->Up B->Fair(first hit only)->Up B->Fair(all three hits)

Last edited:

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
^ crazy combo man, can't you end with an up air instead of a fair? Possibly even a Dair? I think those would launch him higher than a fair. Maybe even a fair1 into a fair. Gah I'm a have to try this combo. Looks tough to master though

I'd also appreciate it if someone knows a good combo that starts with a grab around 100 percent on a medium weight character. I usually up throw and try to up air for the kill and try to juggle

Last edited:

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
^ crazy combo man, can't you end with an up air instead of a fair? Possibly even a Dair? I think those would launch him higher than a fair. Maybe even a fair1 into a fair. Gah I'm a have to try this combo. Looks tough to master though

I'd also appreciate it if someone knows a good combo that starts with a grab around 100 percent on a medium weight character. I usually up throw and try to up air for the kill and try to juggle
I've tested up air and dair, they both aren't true to end the combo.

Sonicninja115

I've tested up air and dair, they both aren't true to end the combo.
Dair will not true combo, but Uair can be inescapable. They can't airdodge at least, or something like that. Also, if you DI into the opponent and the opponent doesn't DI away it will sometimes true.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
Dair will not true combo, but Uair can be inescapable. They can't airdodge at least, or something like that. Also, if you DI into the opponent and the opponent doesn't DI away it will sometimes true.
Correct, but there is still a small chance they can escape. Fair is still good for finishing with more damage if they manage to escape from an up air somehow.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
^ it does but not always. Your timing has to be spot on for the two to connect. I tried a 0-death combo on fox and thought it was a bit easier to land and execute than any others.

Ftilt-> jump towards trying to get maximum height with witch twist->WT2->DABK->DABK->Fair this combo worked on fox when he was at 0 percent. When fox is between 10-20 percent it is best to use ABK instead of DABK and it will steal a stock as well

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The Combo Fillers section in the OP is still empty ( Jaxas Jaxas when?), so I felt like leaving some notes and observations of mine on what moves link into each other.

dtilt: I usually follow this up with fair > Twist or just Twist. I'm still working on perfecting fair spacing so that it combos into Twist consistently, if you do it wrong you'll hit them too far away for the combo. I want to explore going straight into ABK after dtilt if they fly too far for fair or Twist, but I'm not sure it would combo.

utilt: Twist. I'm sure uair or fair would work too, but I generally go straight into Twist. (This assumes I get the sweetspot hit.) For the sourspot hit that knocks people away from her, I'm not sure what's best. I assume fair would work?

ABK: Reverse Twist is the go-to for combo extension, I think, and for good reason. Reverse dABK doesn't combo but the enemy is generally in the right position regardless. Bair works if you don't want to burn any Twists or jumps for whatever reason. Uair can be a finisher if you're near the ceiling.

dABK: Valid followups seem to vary based on enemy % and fall speed. Fair, Twist, a second dABK, or a regular ABK all seem to be feasible depending on the situation.

Twist: Double jump cancel Twist is guaranteed but the execution window is small. I think 3 frames? Twist 1 combos into ABK or fair, but sometimes you need to burn your double jump. Holding Twist makes you wait longer to act, but you can still get ABK out of it that way at mid %. Twist 2 has zero knockback whatsoever and fair is an easy followup. Uair doesn't register as a combo but the CPU never dodges it so...maybe? (Bayonetta can probably avoid it with Bat Within though.) Not sure about ABK/dABK.

fair: Fair 1 combos into Twist or ABK. I personally use this to lift Bayonetta a bit when going for ceiling combos, or to buy a second to get my bearings. Fair 1 2 3 tacks on an easy 12% if you want to finish the combo and get back to the ground.

uair: I've seen this lead into great things but haven't used it myself as anything other than a finisher near the ceiling.

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
The Combo Fillers section in the OP is still empty ( Jaxas Jaxas when?), so I felt like leaving some notes and observations of mine on what moves link into each other.

dtilt: I usually follow this up with fair > Twist or just Twist. I'm still working on perfecting fair spacing so that it combos into Twist consistently, if you do it wrong you'll hit them too far away for the combo. I want to explore going straight into ABK after dtilt if they fly too far for fair or Twist, but I'm not sure it would combo.

If your opponent isn't close to you when you hit him with dtilt, jump->ABK is the most optimal choice, because fair can be airdodged.

utilt: Twist. I'm sure uair or fair would work too, but I generally go straight into Twist. (This assumes I get the sweetspot hit.) For the sourspot hit that knocks people away from her, I'm not sure what's best. I assume fair would work?

Utilt at low% combos with the first frames of uair (you have to turn around if they DI in the direction you are facing), even at mid% I prefer to do uair->JCupB1, so they will be hit from the tip of the first upB, and even if they DI down you can easily hit them with ABK, while if they DI up you have just to waste your 2nd jump and ABK. I think uair is better than straight upB because it gets the enemy closer to the ceiling, if the opponent is at kill% it can make the difference. At kill%, sourspot utilt combos with RAR bair, and even sweetspot utilt does

ABK: Reverse Twist is the go-to for combo extension, I think, and for good reason. Reverse dABK doesn't combo but the enemy is generally in the right position regardless. Bair works if you don't want to burn any Twists or jumps for whatever reason. Uair can be a finisher if you're near the ceiling.

dABK: Valid followups seem to vary based on enemy % and fall speed. Fair, Twist, a second dABK, or a regular ABK all seem to be feasible depending on the situation.

Twist: Double jump cancel Twist is guaranteed but the execution window is small. I think 3 frames? Twist 1 combos into ABK or fair, but sometimes you need to burn your double jump. Holding Twist makes you wait longer to act, but you can still get ABK out of it that way at mid %. Twist 2 has zero knockback whatsoever and fair is an easy followup. Uair doesn't register as a combo but the CPU never dodges it so...maybe? (Bayonetta can probably avoid it with Bat Within though.) Not sure about ABK/dABK.

fair: Fair 1 combos into Twist or ABK. I personally use this to lift Bayonetta a bit when going for ceiling combos, or to buy a second to get my bearings. Fair 1 2 3 tacks on an easy 12% if you want to finish the combo and get back to the ground.

uair: I've seen this lead into great things but haven't used it myself as anything other than a finisher near the ceiling.

Uair is a great combo starter even from the ground at low or mid%

kasakuri

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, please help me with the double jump cancel witch twist. After my ABK, i try a DJCWT when the opponent is above me but I always seem to double jump above the opponent and then witch twist. Even when I try to do it fast, I still double jump a little, which is still enough to take me above the opponent.

I know this question gets asked a lot but even after reading all the answers, I still can't do it. My controller set up is z-jump with tap jump off. Would turning it on make it easier??

Any tips would help.

Thanks,

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Hi guys, please help me with the double jump cancel witch twist. After my ABK, i try a DJCWT when the opponent is above me but I always seem to double jump above the opponent and then witch twist. Even when I try to do it fast, I still double jump a little, which is still enough to take me above the opponent.

I know this question gets asked a lot but even after reading all the answers, I still can't do it. My controller set up is z-jump with tap jump off. Would turning it on make it easier??

Any tips would help.

Thanks,
Try different button schemes. Most people use their left shoulder button for doing jump cancels. Or if you use a pro controller like me there's a way to cheat it and do it 99% consistently. But most don't use the pro controller.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, so here's my 0% combo
Dtilt->WTw(short)->WTw(short)->fair123
Yeah, seems kinda lame, but I'm trying my hardest to find the most optimal 0% combo (besides situational 0-deaths). What are your guys best 0% combos? What do you think is the most optimal?

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
To be frank, I think the most optimal will always be a kill combo. Of course they can DI out, but I think its rewarding enough to merit an attempt after every Dtilt, WTwist, dABK, Heel Slide etc.

As for an example at 0%, we can use Zult Zult 's combo or a variation of it.

Heel Slide (Dtilt will work here, but we might need Fair 1 for the height) > Jump WTwist > DJ Fair 1 > ABK > dABK > Fair 1 (Might not be needed if they DI poorly) > WTwist 2 > FAir 123 (If needed, they are usually KO'd)

As a side note, I think ABK > dABK is becoming a huge part of the meta, its super good.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
To be frank, I think the most optimal will always be a kill combo. Of course they can DI out, but I think its rewarding enough to merit an attempt after every Dtilt, WTwist, dABK, Heel Slide etc.

Heel Slide (Dtilt will work here, but we might need Fair 1 for the height) > Jump WTwist > DJ Fair 1 > ABK > dABK > Fair 1 (Might not be needed if they DI poorly) > WTwist 2 > FAir 123 (If needed, they are usually KO'd)

As a side note, I think ABK > dABK is becoming a huge part of the meta, its super good.
I'm noticing players like Pink Fresh go for set ups that involve ABK to Dive Kick more now. It's usually not guaranteed (especially at low percents) but the potential damage or the potential chance to take a stock is too good to pass up. Especially since if they air dodge the dive kick you'll be landing on the ground with a rare chance of being punished. I usually go for this if I notice my opponent not consistently getting out of this combo. But if they are, I'll start doing something else that's more guaranteed or use a different set up.

But I think the most consistent damage would probably be witch twist > jump > dive kick > fair 1 2 3? (This is risky because missing the dive kick could be death depending on your stage position) Or double witch twist into fair 1 2 3 like you said. You can add things like a fair 1 in between the witch twists but then it won't be 100% guaranteed anymore.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman

So I've been trying Zult's combo, but the divekick is real hard to land, any tips to make it easier?

Top Bottom