• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battlebots Discussion Thread

dezeray112

Smash Hero
What is Battlebots?

Battlebots is an American robotics combat show where competitors build and design their own remote controlled robots to fight against each other within the arena in an elimination style tournament. The show first aired back in 2000 until 2002 on Comedy Central and 13 years later, ABC revived the show for two seasons before the Discovery and Science Channel picked it up where it is due to air its third season of the reboot next month. Many competitors from the US and around the globe compete for the giant nut trophy and champion of Battlebots.

For those who want a taster of what the show is about, here is a preview of some of the metal, bashing mayhem which is due to commence next month:

In addition, here are the teams who are participating in the 2020 edition of Battlebots.

As Faruq would usually say, "It's robot fighting time!"

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So here is the fight cards for this week's opening episode:

My thoughts:

Whiplash Vs Sawblaze: This one will come down to who has got the better driver as the two had already displayed in the previous shows and whose weapon will have an impact and wreak havoc.

MadCatter Vs Fusion: Team Whyachi's got a new machine on the block with its dual weaponry of a spinner and drum spinner called Fusion is set to make its introduction to the Battlebots arena. It will be a test for MadCatter as they will have to make good use of its front scoop to deflect the hits coming from Fusion. The team behind MadCatter had a great run with Cat King in the second season of King of Bots, can they repeat what they had learn from their to the Battlebots arena.

Axe Backwards Vs Malice: Having not much success in the previous series, Axe Backwards is back and hoping to get their first televised win as they face off against the newcomers Malice with its horizontal disc spinner which could potentially do harm to Axe Backward's vulnerable wheels.

Bloodsport Vs Skorpios: Both bots narrowly missed out on a spot in the Top 16 last season and hope to go one further this time as the two face off against each other. Bloodsport's horizontal tri-spinning bar could impact Skorpio's wheels if they can produce excellent driving and Skorpios will have to ensure that their scoop on the front can prevent Bloodsport's hits.

Captain Shredderator Vs Lockjaw: Last season, Captain Shredderator had a string of bad luck as their machine constantly broke down and Brian Nave hopes that he can end its hoodoo as they are up against Donald Hutson's Lockjaw. Lockjaw will have to use the front prongs to hopefully get in and underneath Captain Shredderator before it gets up to speed.

Rusty Vs Sporkniok: Two newcomers with interesting designs. Its hard to say who will win although it will be interesting to see how effective their weaponry will fare against each other.

Sharkorpion Vs SMEEEEEEEEEE: Sharkorpion makes its return to the Battlebots arena, however they will have to face against the nifty SMEEEEEEEE. SMEEEEEEE could use its contraption to trap Sharko and use those mini disc cutters to slice away the wheels. However, I do question how much pushing power their robot could produce.

Tombstone Vs EndGame: Two seasons ago, Jack wanted to take on Tombstone and now his wish is finally granted. The team who travelled all the way from New Zealand had been dogged with reliability issues last season where it suffered unfortunate losses to Deathroll, Ribbot and Minotaur. If they have fixed those issues, they could cause a potential upset against the former Battlebots champion. Ray will need to ensure that Tombstone's bar is up to speed in hopes that it can rip away EndGame's front wedge.

So who do you predict will win from each of the fights?

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I'm gonna drop my predictions for this fight card based on past fights, robot designs, and more.

Whiplash vs Sawblaze: This one's a really tough decision but I'm going with Sawblaze. Both robots are incredibly well driven, and while Whiplash excels in damage, I feel like Sawblaze's control is much better, and will result in Whip getting pinned to the wall multiple times.

Mad Catter vs Fusion: Judging by early footage of this robot, I feel like Fusion will take the cake this fight. And while Mad Catter did well in King of Bots, it had a really poor run last season. Both weapons on this pair of conjoined twins seem very deadly, but the robot itself looks a little small. I still think Fusion will win.

Malice vs Axe Backwards: Easy decision here. Axe Backwards has a very pathetic track record. This robot reminds me of a toy you would buy during a school field trip. Fitting because Mammoth certainly had fun playing with it. It didn't even use its main weapon at all last season, only relying on those weird axes on its wheels. Malice has a much more promising history, so I'm excited to see what it can do. Oh yeah, I'm also expecting it to win easily.

Bloodsport vs Skorpios: This is another tough one. Skorpios is amazingly well driven and has a very sturdy wedge, however Bloodsport's sheer power could end up completely immobilizing it in a single hit. It could go either way, but due to the latter's build being very spinner proof, I'm going with Skorpios.

Shrederator vs Lock-Jaw: Shrederator has been having so many issues with randomly breaking down halfway through a fight, that I don't think it'll be able to last. Lock-Jaw will probably win this one, considering how good of a track record it has.

Rusty vs Sporkinok: This one's self explanatory. Rusty is a literal tin can with an ineffective weapon. Theres no way in hell that its drill will be able to break titanium. It reminds me of Knome II which says a lot about what I think of it lol. It's a joke robot that everyone loves, but unlike HUGE and a certain bot in the next fight, it has no chance. If it wasn't for its immense popularity gained from fans and other bot builders, I doubt it would've been televised at all. The only thing I could see Sporkinok struggling with is the size and width of Rusty being hard to grab, but it should win (easily) based on driving and control.

Sharko vs SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE: This fight's going to SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. While Sharko has a powerful jaw and flipper, this guy has an extremely low to the ground, 14' wide wedge that can bend and wrap around the opponent. It also comes with little spinners at the end! Sharko has a lot of ground clearance and exposed wheels, which makes me think it'll struggle against this guy. Unlike Rusty, I think SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is a good joke bot like HUGE that has potential. I can't wait to see what it can do.

Tombstone vs End Game: I'm surprised this one hasn't happened sooner. As much as I want to see more bots defeat Tombstone, I still think he's gonna beat End Game. Tombstone excels in damage, and while End Game is great with driving, Tombstone's reaction time and ability to freely spin it's blade around let's it counter both control and driving ability. End Game has also been having a lot of inconsistency lately, so I feel like Tombstone will win this one.

Recap:
  • Sawblaze
  • Fusion
  • Malice
  • Skorpios
  • Lock-Jaw
  • Sporkinok
  • SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Tombstone

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Tombstone vs End Game: I'm surprised this one hasn't happened sooner. As much as I want to see more bots defeat Tombstone, I still think he's gonna beat End Game. Tombstone excels in damage, and while End Game is great with driving, Tombstone's reaction time and ability to freely spin it's blade around let's it counter both control and driving ability. End Game has also been having a lot of inconsistency lately, so I feel like Tombstone will win this one.
Bite Force has been the only one to defeat Tombstone correct?

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Bite Force has been the only one to defeat Tombstone correct?
Bombshell did it with a lucky shot, Witch Doctor did it at ReMars.

Honestly, if this was Tombstone's first fight filmed, I think this is it's best time to defeat End Game. Before it racks up two much damage. I'm extremely exited for SME

Last edited by a moderator:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
LMFAO what an episode. Many crazy things happened this time.
Rusty actually won a fight, and End Game sent Tombstone out of the arena. Now for the fight results:

Winners:
  • Sawblaze (KO)
  • Mad Catter (KO)
  • Malice (KO)
  • Bloodsport (KO)
  • Lock-Jaw (KO)
  • Rusty LOL (KO via opponent ****ting itself)
  • SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (JD)
  • End Game (OOTA)

My score for predictions is 4-4. I predicted all odd numbered fights correctly, but all even numbered fights turned out differently than I expected.

Some other notes: Rusty did no damage with that weapon (unsurprisingly), but got a lucky win due to Sporkinok suddenly breaking down and barely moving. This robot is a massive disappointment so far. They didn't even bring the scorpion tail that's supposed to help them grab the opponent for some reason. Malice is one robot that looks like it'll do incredibly well. Despite Axe Backwards being an incompetent bot, Malice dealt massive damage in the span of a few seconds. Lastly, I was laughing my ass off when End Game sent Tombstone out of the arena. Definitely a great way to end it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
2 more confirmed fights:

• Gigabyte vs Copperhead
  • Mad Catter vs RotatoR
Add these based from the Intro:
  • BETA Vs Rusty
  • Sawblaze Vs Rusty
  • Chomp Vs Gamma 9
  • Pain Train Vs SMEEEEEEEEEE
  • Grabot Vs Gigabyte
  • SOW Vs Gigabyte
  • Black Dragon Vs Copperhead
  • Witch Doctor Vs SlamMow
  • Hydra Vs Hypershock
  • HiJinx Vs Uppercut
  • Valkyrie Vs Whiplash
  • Uppercut Vs Sawblaze?

Anyways having watched the first episode, here are my thoughts on the matches:

• Sawblaze Vs Whiplash: Two of the best drivers take on each other for the first time in the arena. I always thought that the forks on the front of Sawblaze were always going to be a key within the fight to get in and underneath Whiplash. I also noticed that Whiplash's arm got stuck a bit but unfortunately they weren't able to escape Sawblaze's punishing weapon which caused a huge blow to their machine causing them to be immobilised.
  • Fusion Vs Mad Catter: Team Whyachi's debut of Fusion ended up in a disappointment after Mad Catter withstood a lot of its blows and Fusion was set ablaze, burning out its weapons and eventually rendered immobile. A good win for Martin Mason and his team and he never failed to put on a show.
  • Malice Vs Axe Backwards: Axe Backwards's miserable run continues as Malice's deadly spinner wrecked their exposed wheels which were always going to be vulnerable. Overall a good win for Malice, although it will be interesting to see how well it will be tested going further into the competition.
  • Bloodsport Vs Skorpios: Skorpios was known for its durability in the last season of Battlebots, however it didn't favour them this time as one of the wedges which took the hits from Bloodsport caused it to be bent and made it immobile.
  • Lockjaw Vs Capt. Shredderator: Once again, Capt. Shredderator can't seem to catch a break as even though they had shown early aggression by taking a chunk of Lockjaws back armour, they suffered reliability issues and once again it was rendered immobile.
  • Rusty Vs Sporkinok: Despite showing early aggression, Sporkinok faded throughout the fight and whilst Rusty got the win, it will only get even harder from there as they will be tested further down the competition.
  • Sharko Vs SMEEEEEEEE: Whilst I don't feel this was the best fight of the night, SMEEEEEE did cause some damage to Sharko which is how they won the judge's decision.
  • EndGame Vs Tombstone: Two seasons ago, Jack wanted to take on Tombstone and he finally got his wish. And, boy it only took them 8 seconds to send the former Battlebots champion out of the arena. But what a win for the EndGame team and if they can keep this up, I predict that they could be the team to watch out for.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
And here is the Fight Card for this week's show:

My thoughts:

Shatter! Vs Ghost Raptor: Chuck Pitzer makes a long awaited return having last competed four years ago when Ghost Raptor were beaten by rivals Son of Wyachi and Razorback. They will face against Adam Wrigley's Shatter! which will hopefully try to avoid Ghost Raptor's horizontal bar spinner and use those forks at the front to get in and underneath their ground clearance and find a way to use that hammer to hit their expose parts.

Ribbot Vs Tracer: Last season, Ribbot's best win came against the mighty EndGame. But can they go further this season as they go against newcomers Tracer who has a vertical disc spinner which I predict they want to use their weapon on Ribbot's exposed wheels.

Kraken Vs Black Dragon: The boys from Brazil are back having reached the last 16 last year via the Desperado Tournament. They will start their campaign against Kraken who had a reasonable run last year despite not making to the last 16. If I were Black Dragon, I would want to avoid those fangs of Kraken which could cut their weapon belt. If the weapon belt is gone, Black Dragon will have to rely on its push power.

HUGE Vs Mammoth: The battle of the giants. It will be interesting to see what both team's tactics will be considering that they are sophisticated designs. HUGE will probably want to attack the exposed wheels of Mammoth and maybe get to its internal parts whilst Mammoth will require good driving to avoid HUGE's spinning bar.

Hijinx Vs Claw Viper: Two newcomers enter the Battlebots arena for the first time. I predict that Hijinx will take this fight as I have a feeling their are a number of weaknesses within Claw Viper.

Extinguisher Vs Perfect Phoenix: Battle of the young drivers. Extinguisher does have interchangable weapons from an axe to a vertical disc spinner against the horizontal bar spinner driven by Tyler Nguyen who is the youngest competitor within this season's Battlebots. Tyler is very well known for competiting in the first season of Bugglebots with Captian Doom which did very well in the contest and it will be interesting to see how well he handles a different weight division. But I think their bar spinner could take out Extinguisher's exposed wheels.

Witch Doctor Vs Hydra: Last season's runner up Witch Doctor are hoping to capture their first title this season. However, they will go against Team Whyachi's Hydra who had a very impressive run last season before crashing out to Minotaur. I think Hydra could take this if they can find Witch Doctor's ground clearance which could send them very high in the air and as for Witch Doctor, they need to use that vertical disc spinner to attack Hydra's vulnerable parts which will be quite challenging.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • Shatter! Vs Ghost Raptor - Well, Chuck Pitzer's opening fight ended up in a disappointing loss. Its a real shame that their weapon stopped moving after taking the inital hit on Shatter! and then went up in flames. Overall, a bit of a surprise win for Shatter! even though parts of their armour came off.
  • Ribbot Vs Tracer - I had a feeling that Tracer would take out one of Ribbot's exposed wheels, but when it came in to contact with Ribbot's undercutting spinning disc, Tracer was toppled over and with no self righting mechanism, the newcomers were out.
  • Kraken Vs Black Dragon - I had a feeling that if Kraken clamped onto Black Dragon's weapon belt, it could possible take out its weapon. Even though it took one of the belts off, Black Dragon's weapon was still running and took a chunk out on one of Kraken's fangs and came back on the aggressive within the remainder of the fight.
  • HUGE Vs Mammoth - HUGE really had a difficult time figuring out on how to attack Mammoth and despite Mammoth making a number of somersaults in the fight, they levered one of HUGE's wheels on the wall, making it unable to get out.
  • Hijinx Vs Claw Viper - Disappointing start for Hijinx as their bar spinner could not inflict any damage to Claw Viper which used its speed to prevent Hijinx's weapon going up to speed.
  • Extinguisher Vs Perfect Phoenix - Only took one hit for Perfect Phoenix to extinguish the flames of Extinguisher. I suspect that the safety removable link within Extinguisher got loose and that could be the reason why it stopped.
  • Witch Doctor Vs Hydra - Goodness, I really thought Hydra were going to suffer an upset loss, but at least it managed to survive and win the fight by the judge's decision.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Really good fights, though I'm sad Kraken and Ghost Raptor didn't win.
That Kraken and Black Dragon fight felt really iffy tbh. I feel like Kraken mostly dominated with control, while Black Dragon was making scrapes while being carried around. It did eventually get free and landed one hit, but I feel like it wasn't enough. It also missed an opportunity to land another hit after Kraken was on its back.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Here is the fight cards for Episode 3:

My predictions:

• Copperhead Vs Gigabyte: It will be interesting to see how they approach Gigabyte as it is a full body spinner. If they can somehow prevent Gigabyte from spinning up to full speed, then Copperhead could pretty much use that drum spinner to initiate their attack. But they will need to be careful though as their exposed wheels could be a target for Gigabyte.
  • Sub Zero Vs Jackpot: Sub Zero's only win last season was when they tossed P1 out of the arena. Since then, the team had suffered a string of bad luck. Will they be able to notch their third win of their campaign as they take on newcomers Jackpot who has a deadly horizontal spinner.
  • Gemini Vs Uppercut: Gemini hasn't really had much success in Battlebots so far and their only chance of winning is if they can use their weapon to attack Uppercut's wheels and good driving. On the other hand, Uppercut who were a surprise last season hopes they can repeat what they did and get their first win of the campaign.
  • Rotator Vs Beta: After being absent for four years, the grandfather of UK robotic combat makes his return to the Battlebots arena and is joined by Gabriel Stroud and Alan Cannon. They've competed in China with flipper-bot Tanshe where its best was runner-up position during This is Fighting Robots. Now, John and Gabe are working together and hope that their hammer can land a good hit as they take on Victor Soto's Rotator.
  • Tantrum Vs Valkyrie: I just wonder how effective Tantrum's weapon could do against Valkyrie in which it will be a battle of who will get their opponent in and underneath first and utilse their weapons.
  • Big Dill Vs Atom #94: Two newcomers face each other on their Battlebots debut. Atom #94 is a team which comes from India and Canada which their machine consists of a deadly spinner and Big Dill does have those front lifting forks which could get onto Atom #94's ground clearance.
  • Hypershock Vs Gruff: Will Bales is hoping to go very far with Hypershock as they take on Gruff. The only question remains is Hypershock's reliability as it does tend to let them down in some unfortunate cases. Gruff could utilise their lifting arm in hopes of pinning Hypershock.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Here is the fight cards for Episode 3:

My predictions:

• Copperhead Vs Gigabyte: It will be interesting to see how they approach Gigabyte as it is a full body spinner. If they can somehow prevent Gigabyte from spinning up to full speed, then Copperhead could pretty much use that drum spinner to initiate their attack. But they will need to be careful though as their exposed wheels could be a target for Gigabyte.
  • Sub Zero Vs Jackpot: Sub Zero's only win last season was when they tossed P1 out of the arena. Since then, the team had suffered a string of bad luck. Will they be able to notch their third win of their campaign as they take on newcomers Jackpot who has a deadly horizontal spinner.
  • Gemini Vs Uppercut: Gemini hasn't really had much success in Battlebots so far and their only chance of winning is if they can use their weapon to attack Uppercut's wheels and good driving. On the other hand, Uppercut who were a surprise last season hopes they can repeat what they did and get their first win of the campaign.
  • Rotator Vs Beta: After being absent for four years, the grandfather of UK robotic combat makes his return to the Battlebots arena and is joined by Gabriel Stroud and Alan Cannon. They've competed in China with flipper-bot Tanshe where its best was runner-up position during This is Fighting Robots. Now, John and Gabe are working together and hope that their hammer can land a good hit as they take on Victor Soto's Rotator.
  • Tantrum Vs Valkyrie: I just wonder how effective Tantrum's weapon could do against Valkyrie in which it will be a battle of who will get their opponent in and underneath first and utilse their weapons.
  • Big Dill Vs Atom #94: Two newcomers face each other on their Battlebots debut. Atom #94 is a team which comes from India and Canada which their machine consists of a deadly spinner and Big Dill does have those front lifting forks which could get onto Atom #94's ground clearance.
  • Hypershock Vs Gruff: Will Bales is hoping to go very far with Hypershock as they take on Gruff. The only question remains is Hypershock's reliability as it does tend to let them down in some unfortunate cases. Gruff could utilise their lifting arm in hopes of pinning Hypershock.
Nice to see Sub Zero and Hypershock again

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
There's a reason one of my favorite bots is Hypershock. With Hypershock, you know something weird is gonna happen, and it's gonna be hilarious or awesome.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
I've created a few Battlebots in my time but can't find a local scene to try them out with. They don't let you bring them to parks or playgrounds either. Any idea on how to find local combatants?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • Gigabyte Vs Copperhead: Once Copperhead dismantled Gigabyte's self righting pole which made it more difficult for the robot to control. But that venomous drum spinner took Gigabyte's armor out, leaving it immobile.
  • Jackpot Vs Sub-Zero: A tale of two stories part one where Sub-Zero were doing all the aggression by flipping and slamming Jackpot around the arena, until once again, their reliability issues cropped up again as Sub-Zero came to a halt which costed them the fight.
  • Gemini Vs Uppercut: Uppercut were a surprise last season, but boy did they get their first win with style by dismantling both the Gemini bots so quickly.
  • Rotator Vs Beta: Now, I know there had been a lot of discussions about the outcome of the fight. But I'm with the judges on this one as Beta took their first win against Rotator. Beta mostly won in terms of aggression and control whilst Rotator clearly won on damage as it took out Beta's hammer.
  • Tantrum Vs Valkyrie: A tale of two stories part two. Tantrum were basically running rampant on Valkyrie and took out their weapon, but ended up being immobilised which costed them the fight.
  • Big Dill Vs Atom #94: A disappointing start for Atom #94 as they seem to be having drive issues and I always felt that those forks on Big Dill are going to be key to this fight which can pick up on Atom #94's ground clearance. Both machines ended up being stuck and ended up in a judge's decision which awarded the win to Big Dill.
  • Gruff Vs Hypershock: A tale of two stories part 3. Hypershock had the early aggression and once again their reliability issues cropped up and one slam by Gruff took out Will Bales' machine.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Here is the fight card for Episode 4:

My predictions:

• Slap Box Vs Tombstone: Ray Billings' is seeking to get his 2020 season off to a winning start after suffering a shock loss against End Game during its first bout. They will take on newcomers Slap Box who will make their Battlebots debut. Equipped with a lifter on its front, Slap Box could try and use it to get in and underneath Tombstone and hopefully try and unbalance them. But, they will have to avoid that deadly spinning bar and ensure that those exposed wheels don't take the hit.
  • Slammow Vs Pain Train: Slammow led by Craig Danby is hoping to get his first proper robot combatics win against newcomers Pain Train. Having seen Craig Danby when he competed on UK show Robot Wars and Battlebots where he suffered back-to back losses, will his fortunes favour him this time around? Slammow could use their front lifters to lift and flip Pain Train, whilst Pain Train will use their spinning drum on the vulnerable parts of Slammow.
  • Skorpios Vs Perfect Phoenix: Tyler Nguyen's Perfect Phoenix who achieved their first win against Extinguisher now face Skorpios who is pretty much known for its durability. Skorpios are hoping to pounce back from their unfortunate loss against Bloodsport despite withstanding every hit it took. It will be interesting to see how well Skorpios will cope against Perfect Phoenix's bar spinner, although I would worry about their vulnerable exposed wheels.
  • MadCatter Vs Ribbot: Both teams got their Battlebots campaign off to a winning start. MadCatter disposed Fusion, whilst Ribbot toppled Tracer. I think that MadCatter's wedge could come in play as shown throughout their fight against Fusion which deflected every hit it took and they could fire up their weapon in hopes of aiming on Ribbot's exposed wheels. It will be interesting to see what sort of tactics Ribbot will deploy during the fight.
  • Gamma 9 Vs Chomp: Two teams make their Battlebots return having missed out last season. After suffering losses, a newly designed Chomp is now a walker bot will hope to get their 2020 campaign off to a winning start with that hammer which is something Gamma 9 will have to avoid.
  • Shatter! Vs Malice: Both teams got off to a great start so far. Shatter stunned veterans Ghost Raptor whilst Malice thrashed Axe Backwards in their first bouts. My concern for Shatter! is their armour which literally came off during its first fight and if they do have good driving skills, they will have to find a way to use that hammer to hit the expose parts of Malice. Malice on the other hand, will have to find what spots they can use their disc to damage Shatter!
  • Bloodsport Vs End Game: The main event of the episode in which Jack Barker's End Game which stunned former Battlebots champions Tombstone in their first fight hope to continue their winning streak against Bloodsport with their deadly horizontal bar spinner. I'm interested to see how far Bloodsport's bar can hit End Game and can the End Game utilse their front wedge to their advantage. Either ways, I sense that there will be a blood bath.
I personally agree with the judges. Beta had every right to win that game, as it was doing most of the work. Either way, I think Rotater is showing some promise, so hopefully he comes back later with a win or two.
Well Beta, pretty much won in terms of control and aggression as they were literally bullying Rotator around the arena, whilst Rotator certainly won on damage. Hopefully we will get to see Beta's hammer in action in their next fight.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • Slap Box Vs Tombstone: Poor Slap Box never really stood much of a chance against Ray Billings' Tombstone as it ripped off its exposed wheels awarding them with their first win.
  • Slammow Vs Pain Train: Fortune really is on the side of Craig Danby who finally after years of losses, he gets his first ever televised win on Battlebots. As for Pain Train, their high ground clearance was always going to be vulnerable and they got suplexed a few times by Slammow!.
  • Skorpios Vs Perfect Phoenix: When Perfect Phoenix's bar stopped spinning, I had a feeling this was going to be upon Skorpios' advantage which they took very well. With a numerous amount of hits, Perfect Phoenix was left immobilized.
  • MadCatter Vs Ribbot: Ribbot had the early aggression, but when MadCatter bit back at them and with its weapon inactive, it was going to be difficult for them to get back on top.
  • Gamma 9 Vs Chomp: Not really the most interesting fight I have seen so far, but Chomp's hammer wreaked havoc upon Gamma 9's armour.
  • Shatter! Vs Malice: Shatter! should've waited for its opportunity to use their hammer instead of firing it directly on to Malice's spinner which also went out of action.
  • Bloodsport Vs End Game: End Game suffered their first loss after they had an impressive first battle against Tombstone. The moment their wheel came off, it was difficult for them to get back in to the match which awarded Bloodsport their second win of their campaign.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I don't have much hope in Pain Train after watching its test box footage and first fight. The robot has massive stability issues and high ground clearance

dezeray112

Smash Hero
After a week's absence, Battlebots returns to the screens this week with Kraken and Witch Doctor headlining the main fight, here is the fight card for this week's episode:

My thoughts:

• Black Dragon Vs Claw Viper: Both teams got off to a winning start. Black Dragon won a rather questionable decision in its first fight against Kraken whilst Claw Viper whose speed saw off Hijinx, we haven't seen how their weapon works. One way or the other, this will come down to who has got the better driving.
  • Ghost Raptor Vs Jackpot: Chuck's Ghost Raptor got off to a disappointing start against Shatter! whilst Jackpot managed to scrape their first win against Sub-Zero. Chuck will need to sort out the reliability issues of its weapon which seems to let Ghost Raptor down in its fights if it were to stand a chance against Jackpot.
  • Grabot Vs Sub-Zero: Sub-Zero came off in an unfortunate loss against Jackpot when it broke down, costing its first match. Can the team fix the robot's reliability issues and get their first Battlebots win off the bat against newcomers Grabot?
  • HUGE Vs Hydra: Although Hydra scraped their first win against Witch Doctor, the team will now face its biggest challenge when they fight HUGE which has that deadly vertical bar spinner which I think it will be tough for Hydra to find a spot to get in and underneath HUGE.
  • Aegis Vs Fusion: Fusion got off to a rocky start after it burned out against MadCatter in its first fight, can they redeem themselves as they face off against newcomers Aegis?
  • Big Dill Vs Lock Jaw: Newcomers Big Dill got off to a rather unconvincing win against Atom #94, but its going to face its biggest obstacle which is Donald Hutson's Lockjaw. Can Donald get his second win of his campaign?
  • Kraken Vs Witch Doctor: Two robots who both got off to a losing start and only one of them will come out victorious? Witch Doctor will probably have to use its driving ability to avoid those fangs of Kraken in which it is vulnerable to take out the weapon belt.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
The HUGE vs Hydra fight is comparable to a competitive Pokemon facing a FEAR Magnemite with only a 3 minute timer. If I were the referee, I would've made Hydra forfeit the match to HUGE.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My thoughts of the matches:
  • Black Dragon Vs Claw Viper: Whilst Claw Viper certainly has got the speed, it hasn't got very good control and that is what I felt costed them the match in which Black Dragon used its front weapon to immobilize Claw Viper.
  • Ghost Raptor Vs Jackpot: Chuck Pitzer's poor run with Ghost Raptor continues, as it not only lost its weapon when it came in to contact with Jackpot's vertical spinner and the match.
  • Grabot Vs Sub-Zero: Grabot literally did not stand much of a chance against Sub-Zero as it was constantly flipped and ended up immobile.
  • HUGE Vs Hydra: This one is a very "HUGE" talking point and probably one of the most controversial matches I have ever seen on Battlebots. I just can't help but criticise Jake Ewert's poor sportsmanship, the ref clearly told him to back up and he refused to do so whilst Hydra pinned HUGE for almost a minute in the match. He should've backed up much further.
  • Big Dill Vs Lockjaw: Had a feeling that this one is going be a challenge for Big Dill in which it faced off against Lockjaw. There were signs that Big Dill were struggling close towards the end of the match in which I knew this will be given to Lockjaw in the judge's decision.
  • Witch Doctor Vs Kraken: Is it me or do runners-up and finalists suffer a curse? It seems like it has been continuing for them as Witch Doctor loses out to Kraken to give them their first win of the season.
The Beta-Rotator fight at least gave us one thing. The Will Bales surprised Pikachu face.
With BETA Vs Rotator, I can understand what John Reid's team were doing and they were waiting for the right time to hit Rotator once it is upside down. They cannot afford to fire their hammer carelessly as getting a good hit requires an awful lot of precision and patience. As I said before, BETA clearly won on aggression and control whilst Rotator won on damage points (even though they did lose something during the fight.)

Last edited:

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
My first thought was to make it so 'a bot needs to completely leave its own radius.' My second thought was 'But SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE's radius is half the box.'

No issues with Hydra's design, it's just the issue with the mouthing off to the ref. I found this comment on reddit, which I thought was interesting. "Without a specific distance given, you have to go by a judgement call, and it seems to me that the ref is the one in charge of that judgement. And if the ref deemed that “not a release”, it’s Jake Ewert’s job to respect that."

Beta was different. Rotator's strategy was to rip off Beta's hammer once it hit and Beta didn't take the bait.

We need more Kraken vs Witch Doctor kind of fights, to keep the show going. HUGE vs Hydra fights are the OPPOSITE.

EDIT: Also, did Lockjaw start smoking after it's first hit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom